03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 2223242526 ...
tools
    Chen said, "Netflix, which has forcefully advocated for carrier neutrality, has discriminated against BlackBerry customers by refusing to make its streaming movie service available to them."

He is talking about discrimination against customers, not against a corporation. If he meant what you think he meant, then he didn't choose his words carefully.
    He said what he said.... and kept on saying it.
    01-26-15 01:22 PM
    John Chen's comments discussed on TWiT yesterday starting at 24:30

Damn Christina rips into BB and Chen. "Crappy platform that nobody wants". Ouch.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-26-15 01:34 PM
    Oh, im fine with BlackBerry OS. I love it. But it would be much easier for Devs, especially indie ones, to release a game to every mobile device with one set of code... that's what he's getting at

Posted via CB10
    Devs DON'T WANT one, crappy, universal programming language. They don't want to do apps in html5. They would rather just ignore underperforming platforms all together, and that's the correct response from their perspective.

Did you guys hear "This week in Tech?"

"The poor man is just desperate."

Eeeesh!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-26-15 02:23 PM
    So ... FaceTime on every device as S.J told it should be and "the world would be better" ...
    There's schizophrenia somewhere or that's me ?
    Just like if BBM had become the replacement for SMS/MMS like Jim Balsillie had wanted....

Of course the TWiT team talked about cross platform BBM also.
    01-26-15 02:35 PM
    What's with all the fuss? He took a shot, knowing that if the app field was even BlackBerry would be better off, that's it. It is frustrating for users to be left out of the loop. You have a great new car developed and you can't get suppliers to make you tires.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 06:05 PM
    Devs DON'T WANT one, crappy, universal programming language. They don't want to do apps in html5. They would rather just ignore underperforming platforms all together, and that's the correct response from their perspective.

Eeeesh!

And devs that want my money go for bb10. I buy pretty well every quality bb10 app on principle and install very few of them. To me I'd rather give a bb10 dev a toonie than some homeless guy, and I don't give a crap if it costs more than other versions. I'll never spent a dime via iTunes or Google Play, nor will I give any of my PI to anything connected to them. I know I'm in the minority, but it's a weird experience to have to argue with a category of supposed professional about something I want to pay for. When I was younger, there were only two beer companies. Yes, that's you.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-26-15 06:16 PM

Eeeesh!

Thanks and a like from me. I hear this from our developers and developers from other companies all the time. The good ones do not want to work where they are forced to draw with crayons all day. They want to make real apps.

And when we test this with customers, the ones who are highly engaged with us also want our real apps.

So I still think the answer is mobile websites for those platforms where the cost of a native app, on a per user basis, is too high (e.g. BB10). And native apps where the cost on a per user basis is more reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-26-15 at 07:15 PM.
    TGR1 and mornhavon like this.
    01-26-15 06:27 PM
    And devs that want my money go for bb10. I buy pretty well every quality bb10 app on principle and install very few of them. To me I'd rather give a bb10 dev a toonie than some homeless guy, and I don't give a crap if it costs more than other versions. I'll never spent a dime via iTunes or Google Play, nor will I give any of my PI to anything connected to them. I know I'm in the minority, but it's a weird experience to have to argue with a category of supposed professional about something I want to pay for. When I was younger, there were only two beer companies. Yes, that's you.

Posted via CB10
    And how much money do you spend monthly on apps. Interesting that you equate app developers with homeless people. Most of us are working hard not to become homeless. OTOH A developer that spent too much time focusing on BB10 may have trouble paying his rent I guess.
    jmr1015 and TGR1 like this.
    01-26-15 07:09 PM

When I was younger, there were only two beer companies. Yes, that's you.

Posted via CB10
    If you are referring to the companies I think you are referring to, neither are what I would describe as beer companies since what they sell isn't really beer (and what Hershey's sells isn't really chocolate either of course).

However, if your avatar is a recent photo of you, I suspect there were more that two actual beer companies when you reached legal drinking age.
    01-26-15 07:14 PM
    I recently heard about this and also john chen's comment towards application developers..

He said something like

(You see software advertise on tv and it says get it from 'Android Market' 'Windows Mobile Store' 'Apple App Store')

But no blackberry?

When he said something along those lines... he was attacked (ridiculous the developers are scared to code on QnX lol

- Did anyone here catch that segment? lol
    01-26-15 07:17 PM
    Hey!! We're focusing on cooporate business
    Hey!! Our platform is for serious person only
    Hey!! This is a phone, not a toy
    Hey!! Use your browser
    Hey!! Just get your app needs from amazon

But.....

Why is my handset sales drop?
    How come there're no big app available on my platform?

Such a inconsistent human

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 07:23 PM
    I recently heard about this and also john chen's comment towards application developers..

He said something like

(You see software advertise on tv and it says get it from 'Android Market' 'Windows Mobile Store' 'Apple App Store')

But no blackberry?

When he said something along those lines... he was attacked (ridiculous the developers are scared to code on QnX lol

- Did anyone here catch that segment? lol
    So here is a part that I think Chen will regret:

Many other applications providers similarly offer service only to iPhone and Android users. This dynamic has created a two-tiered wireless broadband ecosystem, in which iPhone and Android users are able to access far more content and applications than customers using devices running other operating systems.
    He just drew attention to the fact that a customer who chooses iPhone or Android has access to "far more content and applications" than someone who chooses BB10. So he calls attention to a major weakness of BB's offering and he does so in a way that does absolutely nothing to make that better. That's not smart.

Then the iMessage to BBM comparison is especially rich, since BlackBerry never made BBM available on Nokia's Symbian when BBM was dominant. BBM kept many people from migrating away from legacy BB. So to now complain that Apple behaves the same way feels a bit disingenuous.

MikeX74 likes this.
    01-26-15 07:27 PM
    Damn Christina rips into BB and Chen. "Crappy platform that nobody wants". Ouch.
    She also described what he said as the stupidest thing ever said by a BB CEO and his predecessors hat set the bar very high (or should it be low).

What's interesting is before BB came up they were bemoaning the Windows Phone app gap (what a shame such a great OS has so little support from app developers). Then they brought up BB as the way not to address the problem and started laughing at Chen and BB.
    I think it is accurate to say that Chen has made BB the laughing stock of smartphones.
    01-26-15 07:28 PM
    I think it is accurate to say that Chen has made BB the laughing stock of smartphones.
    Well, I don't think I'd go that far!

I think BB needs to find a new spokesperson. Chen just doesn't do well in representing the company in a lot of ways. He's popular with people who are already fans of the company. I understand that. Fans even liked his "interesting" performance at the Passport launch.

But BlackBerry needs someone who can speak well for the company and appeal to more than just the current fanbase.

01-26-15 07:45 PM

I think BB needs to find a new spokesperson. Chen just doesn't do well in representing the company in a lot of ways. He's popular with people who are already fans of the company. I understand that. Fans even liked his "interesting" performance at the Passport launch.

But BlackBerry needs someone who can speak well for the company and appeal to more than just the current fanbase.

They were all laughing at BB on the video that was posted.
    01-26-15 08:03 PM
    ridiculous the developers are scared to code on QnX lol
    Your are confused, developers aren't scared to code on QNX. They just aren't interested.
    01-26-15 08:06 PM
    She also described what he said as the stupidest thing ever said by a BB CEO and his predecessors hat set the bar very high (or should it be low).

What's interesting is before BB came up they were bemoaning the Windows Phone app gap (what a shame such a great OS has so little support from app developers). Then they brought up BB as the way not to address the problem and started laughing at Chen and BB.
    Yea she really tore him up.

I wouldn't say he made BB the laughing stock (although some would argue they already were before this even happened), but he definitely didn't help the brand with his recent comments.
    01-26-15 10:57 PM

Exactly right.

Ironically, while his bean counting skills have likely extended BlackBerry's run for a short while, in the long run he is horrible when it comes to vision, strategy and communication. In the end his tenure is assuring the end.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 11:26 PM
    This language approach is somehow a fluke, shouldn't this be clear ?
    It's not that much the programming itself that causes this rant. It's a mix of - irrational - cultural opposition ("me, on Android/iOS/BP/BlackBerry ??? Are.You.Kidding ?"), rational constraints ("Sims can't do, can't buy them devices all"), bad coding habits ("so you want me to separate display and process 'templates' uhh howzat ?") and, above all, technical and commercial support (testing, versioning, customer support, refunds ...).

The wording - often distorted, BTW - of Chen's request is somehow unappropriated for most, I can get that. Still, it is pointing in the right direction and can benefit all platforms, developers and - ultimately - customers. As of date, there's no operational answer to his claim but pushing into that direction is anything but stupid. Only the day when studios (I'm not talking about SOHO devs and I think neither does J.C) will have the agnostic approach when they conceive an app, we will see the revolutions in development solutions (aka the frameworks).
    P.S: Why isn't that so yet ? Well, maybe because most efficient IDEs (Integrated Development Environment) are proprietary software (Android Studio, Xcode, BB10 SDK, Visual Studio ...) ?

I know many are against any type of state regulations and can have epidermic reactions as soon as the word is printed (wondering what this blog post would have generated if it wasn't wrote along with a 'law request') but - as an easy comparison - just monitor how fast electrical vehicles performance exploded since the Formula 1 fuel engine specs have been constrained ... and now we have this ...

"A genuinely new chapter in the history of motoring"
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-27-15 at 03:48 AM.
    StormieTwo and TheBirdDog like this.
    01-27-15 03:34 AM
    Just like if BBM had become the replacement for SMS/MMS like Jim Balsillie had wanted....
    No one is innocent
    01-27-15 03:53 AM
    If you are referring to the companies I think you are referring to, neither are what I would describe as beer companies since what they sell isn't really beer (and what Hershey's sells isn't really chocolate either of course).

However, if your avatar is a recent photo of you, I suspect there were more that two actual beer companies when you reached legal drinking age.
    You write like a 6 year-old...my dad's a policeman he's gonna put you in jail !! rotfl
    01-27-15 05:06 AM
    The wording - often distorted, BTW - of Chen's request is somehow unappropriated for most, I can get that. Still, it is pointing in the right direction and can benefit all platforms, developers and - ultimately - customers. As of date, there's no operational answer to his claim but pushing into that direction is anything but stupid.
    Word.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-27-15 05:25 AM
    This language approach is somehow a fluke, shouldn't this be clear ?
    It's not that much the programming itself that causes this rant. It's a mix of - irrational - cultural opposition ("me, on Android/iOS/BP/BlackBerry ??? Are.You.Kidding ?"), rational constraints ("Sims can't do, can't buy them devices all"), bad coding habits ("so you want me to separate display and process 'templates' uhh howzat ?") and, above all, technical and commercial support (testing, versioning, customer support, refunds ...).

The wording - often distorted, BTW - of Chen's request is somehow unappropriated for most, I can get that. Still, it is pointing in the right direction and can benefit all platforms, developers and - ultimately - customers. As of date, there's no operational answer to his claim but pushing into that direction is anything but stupid. Only the day when studios (I'm not talking about SOHO devs and I think neither does J.C) will have the agnostic approach when they conceive an app, we will see the revolutions in development solutions (aka the frameworks).
    P.S: Why isn't that so yet ? Well, maybe because most efficient IDEs (Integrated Development Environment) are proprietary software (Android Studio, Xcode, BB10 SDK, Visual Studio ...) ?

I know many are against any type of state regulations and can have epidermic reactions as soon as the word is printed (wondering what this blog post would have generated if it wasn't wrote along with a 'law request') but - as an easy comparison - just monitor how fast electrical vehicles performance exploded since the Formula 1 fuel engine specs have been constrained ... and now we have this ...

"A genuinely new chapter in the history of motoring"
    Here is the issue, neither Apple nor Google have any motivation for a common framework, and most devs would only care about a common framework that pumped out iOS and Android apps with little care for Windows support and even less care for BlackBerry support. What you and Chen are saying, even if started to be worked on now, would take years to get to a convergence point, and BlackBerry doesn't have years IMHO.

If BlackBerry wants a something to pump out apps for Apple, Google, and BlackBerry, then they need to buy a company or invest in a company to make such a thing, and it will cost lots of money to keep it functional as every year you will have to keep up with the changes on at least 3 OS systems and keep them working in the tool. Right now BlackBerry is the only company interested in a feature that supports BlackBerry apps. HTML5 isn't there yet either.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and anon1727506 like this.
    01-27-15 08:14 AM
    Here is the issue, neither Apple nor Google have any motivation for a common framework, and most devs would only care about a common framework that pumped out iOS and Android apps with little care for Windows support and even less care for BlackBerry support. What you and Chen are saying, if you are interpreting him correctly which I'm not sure anyone can do,even if started to be worked on now, would take years to get to a convergence point, and BlackBerry doesn't have years IMHO.

If BlackBerry wants a something to pump out apps for Apple, Google, and BlackBerry, then they need to buy a company or invest in a company to make such a thing, and it will cost lots of money to keep it functional as every year you will have to keep up with the changes on at least 3 OS systems and keep them working in the tool. Right now BlackBerry is the only company interested in a feature that supports BlackBerry apps. HTML5 isn't there yet either.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 08:15 AM
    Here is the issue, neither Apple nor Google have any motivation for a common framework, and most devs would only care about a common framework that pumped out iOS and Android apps with little care for Windows support and even less care for BlackBerry support. What you and Chen are saying, even if started to be worked on now, would take years to get to a convergence point, and BlackBerry doesn't have years IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with most of the above.

Lack of motivation is essentially what regulation can bring. Sometimes it is righteous, even virtuous.
    The P1 sample is an auto critic; I for one shouted after the FIA regulations; I wanted then the engine power to be unlimited, the noise louder, tire tracks and smoke, yada yada. I was wrong; the overall performance (and the show) has improved in final because they (teams) progressed under regulation.

"Years" is tomorrow in IT time scale. See how long it took for HTML5 to finally get standardized, but ultimately, we're there and many will start investing in that direction now they can accurately believe that the standard will not slide sideways as it has been for any single HTML version since day one. Now that the fragmentation is almost gone (ok, there are still some kind of exceptions, but that's cosmetic level) I'd tend to believe we'll see a lot of "little greedy" apps flourishing all around. We're on day one and again, it's not an advocacy of HTML5; I use it as a sample in a domain where I believe I have some experience.

re: BlackBerry has to invest
    On CB Blog, I even adventured a "What if J.C was speaking about a new framework" or the likes
    01-27-15 09:08 AM
864 ... 2223242526 ...