03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    Re Netflix - my prediction is that they will make a bb10 app in 1-2 years.
    If things keep going they way they are now, I seriously doubt that.
    01-25-15 07:55 AM
    In terms of netflix or other apps I have always said this.

They say BlackBerry doesn't have 'the numbers' because developing for BlackBerry won't make them millions. It WILL turn a profit. There is no way porting or doing a simple redesign of an app that is already mostly done cannot turn a profit with the install base that BlackBerry has. It is impossible.

I posted a lot of threads, and comments in other threads, about 'numbers' and how these companies could easily make money. The problem is that they want to make the most money with the least effort... which usually isn't a problem, but in the fast moving world of apps it is.

Companies need to maximize the money from an app before it loses traction. If a company comes up with a game that makes $5 million on ios and android and they don't make a BlackBerry app they are maybe losing around $250 000. This isn't a lot of money for 'big companies'... but, if this happens two or three times that adds up. Later on, down the road that company is pushing games/apps out when they should get a bit more work on them... because they are pressured to make money. Yes, a company is going to go with the path of least resistance in order to get the most bang for their buck, but that means they aren't looking for 'break even'... what it means is that they are greedy.

There is NO way that a port or simple redesign of an app from a billion dollar company is 'not worth it'... unless the definition of worth is held from a position of greed. Simple as that.

Posted via CB10
    So Chen wants this for benevolent reasons not because it would make his company money?

Netflix, Instagram and anyone else you care to mention apparently don't need BlackBerry for their companies to make money. Its their choice not Blackerry or anyone else's to make.

For everyone wanting a standardized platform, it already exists. Blackberry just needs to scrap their custom OS and join the masses. Blackberry has their own OS no one wants to develop for.....that's Blackberry's problem. Maybe the government should mandate that blackberry adopt the android or apple standard. That's solves the issue as well but it is just as ridiculous a proposition.

Blackberry runs their business how they see fit and the others do too. Its called free enterprise. If you don't like it, I'm sure a nice communist country would like to have you onboard. Then the government can protect you from yourself and your purchasing decision making disorder.

If you bought into on OS that doesn't do what you want or need it to do.....the problem is YOU. The rest of us don't need the government to further regulate our options or choices because you aren't happy with your decisions.

Its very simple...you want instagram, go get it. No one is preventing that. You want Google services, go get that too.

Grow up. Not everyone gets a trophy. There is a reason to keep score in a sporting event. Businesses are greedy they exist to make the most profit possible. Virginia there is no Santa Clause. Life's not fair.

Now put on your big boy panties and suck it up princess and decide what its is you need a product to do for you......and here's the important part.......buy a product that will do it.

Quit expecting the world to cater to you and blaming others when it doesn't.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-25-15 at 09:19 AM.
    01-25-15 08:27 AM
    so who is paying Netfix to exclude BB10 and why?
    I'm interested as well.
    01-25-15 08:32 AM
    So, you need two computers bc the apple device isn't good enough... but that's ok for apple. So why does everyone bash people for using two devices if one is a BlackBerry? That either means the BlackBerry isn't app friendly so they get a second device or the other device want secure so they get a BlackBerry... to me, neither of those deserves a criticism on BlackBerry based on the way everyone else looks at the situation, yet it is the norm to bash the BlackBerry as second device.

Posted via CB10
    I only use a PC for games and for upgrades for my electronics that don't have a Mac upgrade path. I use my Mac for absolutely everything else. My MacBook Pro is my first choice always.

I have no problem with people using a BlackBerry and another device. I've been doing it for years. It's just that most people prefer to use a single device. I stopped carrying my Z10 with me now because it's just not worth it for me. Maybe if/when BlackBerry releases another high end touchscreen I'll carry that around with my 6 Plus. My primary device will still probably be my 6 Plus though because it has everything I need.
    01-25-15 08:34 AM
    I'm interested as well.
    It's probably the Illuminati.
    Cynycl and menshawy like this.
    01-25-15 08:42 AM
    Re Netflix - my prediction is that they will make a bb10 app in 1-2 years.
    My prediction is that BB10 will probably not exist as a platform in 1-2 years. There will be Blackberry smartphones at that time but they will be running Android. There isn't even a Blackberry developers conference anymore is there? Because there is no reason to develop for Blackberry other than, perhaps, to make your Android app work on the new devices.
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-25-15 09:09 AM
    My prediction is that BB10 will probably not exist as a platform in 1-2 years. There will be Blackberry smartphones at that time but they will be running Android. There isn't even a Blackberry developers conference anymore is there? Because there is no reason to develop for Blackberry other than, perhaps, to make your Android app work on the new devices.
    From the rumors floating it will be Blackberry powered by Samsung or the reverse. It sucks.
    01-25-15 09:14 AM
    I'm interested as well.
    Ask Chen. He's the one that said Netflix was 'discriminating' against BlackBerry in a Senate letter. You think he's stupid enough to do that without being ready to defend in court with evidence? Connect the dots.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    01-25-15 10:02 AM
    Ask Chen. He's the one that said Netflix was 'discriminating' against BlackBerry in a Senate letter. You think he's stupid enough to do that without being ready to defend in court with evidence? Connect the dots.

Posted via CB10
    The court will ask the same question but I doubt it even reaches a court.

If people think this statement is helping blackberry better think again.. People are free to hire and develop however they want don't like that... Join a communist country and see how nice it is to have basically no choice..

This stupid idea will go nowhere and a litigation over something like that should be the last thing BB wants. Netflix and Apple will claim that apps are software and since it's their property they will decide who is and so isn't allowed to use it period. Also think of the problem if others starting to ask for access to blackberry enterprise security architecture uuuuoooo

Chen should really focus on more important things
    01-25-15 10:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    I for one think he was that stupid this time around. The use of the word discrimination proves he doesn't understand the definition of the word. He has an OS no one wants to develop for and those that may have or did previously were thrown under the bus with the android runtime fiasco.

Not discrimination. Not a civil rights issue. Not a violation of the constitution or the charter of rights. Its not because he's Asian or that he's not tall enough. Not a result of his religious beliefs. Not due to his sexual proclivities. Not because he doesn't eat red meat.

If he truly thinks it is,(and I don't believe he does), he's more stupid than anyone is giving him credit for.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-25-15 at 11:25 AM.
    01-25-15 10:58 AM
    Why are there so many morons commenting on this. It almost seems like they didn't read the article or the comments that followed.

NO WHERE is it stated that developers HAVE TO develop apps for EACH individual platform.

The idea is to take individual platforms out of the equation by making a SINGLE UNIVERSAL STANDARD for app development. (sorta like how the metric system of weights codified and unified what was otherwise the chaos of 100s of regional medieval weight systems). In that way access to content is not a prohibitive factor for other os; such as Firefox os, Tizen, Sailfish, Ubuntu, ect. Therefore creating a greater variety of viable Operating Systems which inherently leads to greater competition, which is a catalyst for innovation, and more frequent innovation will ultimately lead to better functionality for end users.

What we are witnessing, through the mobile revolution and the apps that come with it, is a compartmentalization of the Internet by proprietary platforms and coding languages; which flys in the face of the original ideals of an open internet, where everyone and anyone has access to the collective information of humanity.

Imagine if the internet worked in the same way and you were limited to which websites you could visit depending on which OS you are running. Imagine if you could only access wikipedia if you are running windows for example, "but hey man you can access wikipedia from like anywhere and it like does have a website". Yes this is the case with wikipedia but there are other services that are provided through apps that are exclusive to that sole platform and what happens when something as important as wikipedia or twitter is created for a sole platform or in today's case two platforms is everyone else on Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, and all other os just down s**t creek without a paddle

Posted via CB10
    I know. I'm just using the example that is the current situation.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:13 AM
    So Chen wants this for benevolent reasons not because it would make his company money?

Netflix, Instagram and anyone else you care to mention apparently don't need BlackBerry for their companies to make money. Its their choice not Blackerry or anyone else's to make.

For everyone wanting a standardized platform, it already exists. Blackberry just needs to scrap their custom OS and join the masses. Blackberry has their own OS no one wants to develop for.....that's Blackberry's problem. Maybe the government should mandate that blackberry adopt the android or apple standard. That's solves the issue as well but it is just as ridiculous a proposition.

Blackberry runs their business how they see fit and the others do too. Its called free enterprise. If you don't like it, I'm sure a nice communist country would like to have you onboard. Then the government can protect you from yourself and your purchasing decision making disorder.

If you bought into on OS that doesn't do what you want or need it to do.....the problem is YOU. The rest of us don't need the government to further regulate our options or choices because you aren't happy with your decisions.

Its very simple...you want instagram, go get it. No one is preventing that. You want Google services, go get that too.

Grow up. Not everyone gets a trophy. There is a reason to keep score in a sporting event. Businesses are greedy they exist to make the most profit possible. Virginia there is no Santa Clause. Life's not fair.

Now put on your big boy panties and suck it up princess and decide what its is you need a product to do for you......and here's the important part.......buy a product that will do it.

Quit expecting the world to cater to you and blaming others when it doesn't.
    Oh, im fine with BlackBerry OS. I love it. But it would be much easier for Devs, especially indie ones, to release a game to every mobile device with one set of code... that's what he's getting at

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:15 AM
    Oh, im fine with BlackBerry OS. I love it. But it would be much easier for Devs, especially indie ones, to release a game to every mobile device with one set of code... that's what he's getting at

Posted via CB10
    Well I've yet to see any one dev suggest they want this.

BlackBerry doesn't care about devs, their only concern is getting the devs product on their device so blackberry can make more money.
    01-25-15 11:27 AM

Posted via CB10

That's possible with java but that is a resource hog for games and a possible security risk. It is possible with HTML5 and WebGL but then again not an optimal solution. The only optimal solution would be native and that's where things are now.
    jmr1015 and mornhavon like this.
    01-25-15 11:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Okay. LOL.
    01-25-15 12:37 PM
    When Android and IOS arrived on the market their respective companies shrewdly developed an ecosystem through partnership and innovation. BlackBerry was on top and openly mocked both offerings.
    Really, show the proof.
    RIM chiefs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie's best quotes | Technology | The Guardian
    01-25-15 01:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    They can with the Unity game development engine! http://unity3d.com/pages/blackberry

So the tools are there.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 01:57 PM
    BlackBerry has such small marketshare today because at crucial times the leaders at BlackBerry thought the future of smartphones would be different than it turned out to be. Apple and Google foresaw the future of mobile and invested in that vision. BlackBerry was wrong about the future and invested poorly. When BlackBerry finally realized that Apple and Google were right, it was too late to be one of the major players. Now the CEO of BlackBerry is whining that BlackBerry is at a disadvantage.

In this case capitalism worked exactly as it is supposed to. There is significant competition in the smartphone market and lots of innovation. There is absolutely no need for government action to force competition in this market. The fact that BlackBerry is not one of the major competitors does not mean that there is insufficient competition. Two major players does not make a monopoly.
    01-25-15 01:59 PM
    BlackBerry has such small marketshare today because at crucial times the leaders at BlackBerry thought the future of smartphones would be different than it turned out to be. Apple and Google foresaw the future of mobile and invested in that vision. BlackBerry was wrong about the future and invested poorly. When BlackBerry finally realized that Apple and Google were right, it was too late to be one of the major players. Now the CEO of BlackBerry is whining that BlackBerry is at a disadvantage.

In this case capitalism worked exactly as it is supposed to. There is significant competition in the smartphone market and lots of innovation. There is absolutely no need for government action to force competition in this market. The fact that BlackBerry is not one of the major competitors does not mean that there is insufficient competition. Two major players does not make a monopoly.
    There's a serious gulf here. To make sense of your statement, one has to be open to the possibility that BBRY's current state is mostly due to actions of BBRY itself.

For some folks, that possibility is too painful to consider.
    01-25-15 02:04 PM
    There's a serious gulf here. To make sense of your statement, one has to be open to the possibility that BBRY's current state is mostly due to actions of BBRY itself.

For some folks, that possibility is too painful to consider.
    And yet it is very true.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    01-25-15 02:34 PM
    What a great job after tons of articles praising BB the biggest German news site chip.de has now picked up that story too.

I hope BB has something else up soon so the media can talk about that instead of this not well thought of proposal
    01-25-15 02:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I do. Who said anything about court?
    01-25-15 02:52 PM
    They can with the Unity game development engine! Unity - Blackberry 10

So the tools are there.

Posted via CB10
    It's not that simple. Even supporting the same game on on different iOS devices requires additional work.
    01-25-15 02:57 PM
    After all of the back and forth on this issue, there are some things some people still don't understand, including John Chen:
    1. No developer has an obligation to make an app for a platform if they don't want to.
    2. No developer should be forced via government mandate to build apps for a platform if they don't to.
    3. No company has an obligation to make a proprietary service cross-platform.
    4. No company should be forced via government mandate to make a proprietary service cross-platform.
    5. No platform should have an app made for them just because another one does.

It's time to get past the sense of entitlement.
    Cynycl, JeepBB, ADGrant and 6 others like this.
    01-25-15 03:10 PM
    Boy did they ever put their feet in their mouths.
    01-25-15 03:14 PM
864 ... 2021222324 ...