03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Keep your app, we don't need you. Enjoy!!

Posted via CB10
    That's the spirit. You would have fit in perfectly with the management team at RIM a few years back.

Unfortunately, today's another story.
    johnny_bravo72 and MikeX74 like this.
    01-24-15 04:29 PM
    Argument is not mute. Your crying is pointless because you chose the platform that doesn't have a big enough market for developers to care about.

Also, you lose the argument completely if you actually think 1/10 of the 10 million would even pay for it. Give me a break.

If you want the apps, get the platform that has them.

The next time Windows gets an exclusive PC game (which is basically all of them), let's see Apple cry about it. BlackBerry is less than what Apple is in the desktop world.
    Apple's share of the U.S. market is quite significant, particularly if you exclude enterprise sales. At the Windows 10 event, most of the journalists were using MacBooks.
    01-24-15 04:29 PM
    I'll say it one more time, had the apps been available from day 1. It could have been 500 million. That's the point. 10 million could become 500 million had they create it. Ask any former BlackBerry. Owner. They would have been with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 04:30 PM
    Look at this thread.... the majority complaints. Apps

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=260887

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 04:34 PM
    This thread really sheds a light on how frivolous the antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft really was. Yet Microsoft lost.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-24-15 04:39 PM
    I'll say it one more time, had the apps been available from day 1. It could have been 500 million. That's the point. 10 million could become 500 million had they create it. Ask any former BlackBerry. Owner. They would have been with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    That must be everyone else's fault.....everyone but Blackberry.

I see now......Blackberry's civil liberties and charter/constitutional rights and freedoms have been trampled by Google and Apple and Amazon and PC World and CNET and The Onion. Congress needs to rectify this inhumane suffering immediately.

It all makes perfect sense now.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-24-15 at 04:52 PM.
    01-24-15 04:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's sad for BB but why should app developers care.
    Cynycl, jmr1015 and mornhavon like this.
    01-24-15 04:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then maybe BlackBerry should have put more effort into building up an ecosystem during the years that Apple and Google were doing it before BB10. BlackBerry waited years to enter the modern app war with a modern OS and app store, and somehow expects to enter the race on equal footing with companies that have been battling fiercely the whole time to build themselves up?

Hey guys, whatcha been doin'? Oh cool, awesome app stores. I didn't do anything myself, but I deserve the same success that you've built - just cause. I'll ask the government to force you to give me a piece of your success.
    01-24-15 04:46 PM
    Ask this community if they wouldn't pay for a decent app. Your argument is mute. 10 million would be 10 billion had they developed the app for BlackBerry. That's the point. Your mere attitude about never making apps for BlackBerry even further Mr. Chens argument so lovely. Keep your app, we don't need you. Enjoy!!

Posted via CB10

How would someone expressing their lack of interest in developing for BB10 due to low install base numbers, further Chen's position that current app developer practices are somehow discriminatory? He didn't say he doesn't want to develop for BlackBerry simply because its BlackBerry... Or because it's a Canadian company. He gave a legitimate reason based in business, for making a business decision.
    leglace1, Cynycl, avt123 and 2 others like this.
    01-24-15 04:48 PM
    This thread really sheds a light on how frivolous the antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft really was. Yet Microsoft lost.

Posted via CB10
    There was certainty no legal basis for that outcome.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-24-15 at 05:19 PM.
    01-24-15 05:00 PM
    It's a free market. As a Roku owner, I experienced the same thing with Google not making a YouTube app for Roku even though Roku had the user base numbers. It took a lot of complaints and competition from companies that were able to make a YouTube app on their own to make it pointless for Google to hold out on Roku.
    In the case of BlackBerry, they do not have the numbers. But they have the die hards, minus the whiney Android wannabes. The pressure should start with the major apps with $$. Netflix can easily afford to make a native app. As could Instagram. If they see enough people complaining it could make a difference. But it's purely up to them to give in. It just takes a few major apps to make the smaller ones take notice. Unfortunately the BlackBerry's app gap remedy is also their thorn. The Android Player just makes it too easy to settle. Blackberry is in a tough position now. They sort of made their bed with the whole android compatability in spite of BlackBerry World. Now they need to figure out whether they want to stay the course or figure out how to motivate app makers to learn BB10 code when they could just port the Android version.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    No one is arguing that if the apps had been available from day one, that BlackBerry might not be in a very different position today. What we are saying, is that day one for BlackBerry was 2013. Developers were not interested from day one, because day one was so far behind iOS and Android, who had huge and still growing app stores, with access to hundreds of millions of users. This is not iOS or Androids fault. This is not the developers fault. This is BlackBerry's fault.
    01-24-15 05:07 PM
    Apple's share of the U.S. market is quite significant, particularly if you exclude enterprise sales. At the Windows 10 event, most of the journalists were using MacBooks.
    Apple is gaining ground in the desktop/laptop word (especially laptop), but Windows is still king. I prefer OSX but I still need my PC for many things.
    01-24-15 05:11 PM
    Why should it be available "for all"? Google includes Apple because Apple has a huge user base. They'd be walking away from money to not include Apple. Clearly, BlackBerry is a user base they feel comfortable in excluding. If you need access to Google services, maybe buy a different phone. Frankly, iOS is lucky to have access to so many Google services. If Google cut off iOS tomorrow, it is their right to do so... and I don't think iPhone users or Apple/Tim Cook would expect the US goverment to intercede because "it's not fair" and they're somehow entitled to access to Google services on their Apple products.

So much ^this

Well, I can walk in to a Best Buy and purchase a copy of Uncharted 3 for my Playstation 3... and I can only play it on my Playstation 3. Not Playstation 2. Not XBox 360. Not Nintendo Wii. Not Sega Dreamcast. Is this discrimination? Because by your logic (and Chen's according to you) it sure seems to fit the bill. Apps are not movies/DVDs. They're much closer to being video games, or software. If I buy a program for my PC, and it won't work on a Mac, is that discrimination?

Because they don't have to. It's their product and their property. If you don't like the way Google handles their affairs, then don't use any of their services. If you need their services, then purchase a device that is supported.

And ^this. Again.
    All I hear from you is blah, blah, blah..... you don't get it and that is the problem but it's your problem not mine. I happen to understand what Chen is trying to convey here and my interpretation leads me to this path. As far as said apps are concerned, I'm with BlackBerry. To me and many others, it's our preferred brand. We also have a Google runtime installed in our OS. Google has something we want, but Google won't allow it. Not because they can't, it's because they won't so we will continue to complain that we don't have it. And they will continue to deny it. With that said. Many of us will not be going to android for services that the runtime should allow us to use. The only reason its not so because GOOGLE says so (Control). Those are the facts, Mr. Chens comments pertain to a bigger picture that's you yourself may not be seeing. Something far more then apps. "The Internet of things" is what I think has to do with his comments. Based on what's been happening with BlackBerry and that project, that is the only logical reason Chen would make such a statement. Use logic to understand because based your your understanding, your making it seem as though this CEO is a cry baby.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:13 PM
    It's a fair thing to call for, customer should choose their desired platform without being held back by app choice because apps are business and that should not affect customer's choice.

You people are attacking Chen because he said that? But you wouldn't have attacked Apple or Google if they said exactly the same thing. I know that they would not because their app situation is good. But the idea is there

Posted via CB10
    Except they didn't.

When Android and IOS arrived on the market their respective companies shrewdly developed an ecosystem through partnership and innovation. BlackBerry was on top and openly mocked both offerings.

!
    jmr1015, Eumaeus and mornhavon like this.
    01-24-15 05:13 PM
    Apple is gaining ground in the desktop/laptop word (especially laptop), but Windows is still king. I prefer OSX but I still need my PC for many things.
    The problem with that is that apple won't (currently) license OS X to Dell, HP, Lenovo and many other manufacturers of that market. In the end that is the reason why apple will never own the crown. Too many manufacturer that rely on windows and now are eyeing Google if Microsoft fails.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:16 PM
    Except they didn't.

When Android and IOS arrived on the market their respective companies shrewdly developed an ecosystem through partnership and innovation. BlackBerry was on top and openly mocked both offerings.

!
    Really, show the proof.

The only thing BlackBerry Didn't do was not follow suit until it was too late. That's what hurt BlackBerry. What's the excuse now... 10 million bb10 users.... where the apps Hal?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:19 PM
    No one is arguing that if the apps had been available from day one, that BlackBerry might not be in a very different position today. What we are saying, is that day one for BlackBerry was 2013. Developers were not interested from day one, because day one was so far behind iOS and Android, who had huge and still growing app stores, with access to hundreds of millions of users. This is not iOS or Androids fault. This is not the developers fault. This is BlackBerry's fault.
    No argument there.... BlackBerry was late to the game. But they are here and the OS is compelling. Where the apps Hal???? Build them and they will come....

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:20 PM
    All I hear from you is blah, blah, blah..... you don't get it and that is the problem but it's your problem not mine. I happen to understand what Chen is trying to convey here and my interpretation leads me to this path. As far as said apps are concerned, I'm with BlackBerry. To me and many others, it's our preferred brand. We also have a Google runtime installed in our OS. Google has something we want, but Google won't allow it. Not because they can't, it's because they won't so we will continue to complain that we don't have it. And they will continue to deny it. With that said. Many of us will not be going to android for services that the runtime should allow us to use. The only reason its not so because GOOGLE says so (Control). Those are the facts, Mr. Chens comments pertain to a bigger picture that's you yourself may not be seeing. Something far more then apps. "The Internet of things" is what I think has to do with his comments. Based on what's been happening with BlackBerry and that project, that is the only logical reason Chen would make such a statement. Use logic to understand because based your your understanding, your making it seem as though this CEO is a cry baby.

Posted via CB10
    Google says so because it is THEIR PRODUCT and they dictate what they want to do with their IP. It is you who doesn't get how a free market (and it seems business in general) works. Keep crying, Google is not obligated to stop the flow of your tears and neither are any developers that deem BB10 not worth the ROI.

Where are all the Palm, Tizen, Meego, Sail Fish, Symbian, FireFox and WebOS CEOs/Leaders complaining about this? They aren't because they know their marketshare is trivial (like BB10) and they cannot force people to make products for their platform.

I think BB10 is great, but it is entitled to nothing but BB proprietary software.
    jmr1015, BB_Junky, MikeX74 and 1 others like this.
    01-24-15 05:22 PM
    The problem with that is that apple won't (currently) license OS X to Dell, HP, Lenovo and many other manufacturers of that market. In the end that is the reason why apple will never own the crown. Too many manufacturer that rely on windows and now are eyeing Google if Microsoft fails.

Posted via CB10
    Because it is Apples software and they owe it to no one but themselves. The same goes with apps.
    jmr1015, Cynycl and marty314 like this.
    01-24-15 05:24 PM
    I think this guy is trolling. There's no way he could be this dense.

Good one. Nicely done Soto!

!
    Cynycl, marty314 and BB_Junky like this.
    01-24-15 05:30 PM
    I think this guy is trolling. There's no way he could be this dense.

Good one. Nicely done Soto!

!
    I'm not so sure.
    01-24-15 05:36 PM
    Ask this community if they wouldn't pay for a decent app
    Yup, because this community represents a reasonable and sensible sample.

Your argument is mute.
    The word you're looking for is Moot, not Mute.

10 million would be 10 billion had they developed the app for BlackBerry.p
    Yeah.. because any platform is anywhere near the 10 Billion mark. :smh:
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 01-24-15 at 06:18 PM.
    01-24-15 05:55 PM
    And yet, you continue to ignore when BB had the advantage while they had the apps and developers, but for some reason decided to squander the lead, rested on their laurels, and basked in the hubris. But okay... run with that. What you fail to recognize, is that BB did have the apps at day 1. They simply blew it.
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-24-15 05:59 PM
    Blackberry blew it by hitting a reset button and starting all over with an all new OS. People need to remember why that was. They listened to their consumers base who demanded that their OS gets all the features that iOS had. They had the WebKit licked on OS 7. But no, people had to have this silky, smooth OS that scrolled like iOS. They wanted to feel like they were cutting edge. But they took for granted that the app writers would have to learn new code and do a lot more work to port over their apps. Blackberry did the right thing in acquiring Torch and acquiring QNX. Unfortunately, the QNX acquisition was a year or so too late. The App gap was pretty deep to make up ground. I blame BlackBerry only in the fact that they made that tough decision just too late. But they did listen to their consumer base. They just spent too much time boosting up a Toyota Corolla rather than trading it in for a Corvette.
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-24-15 06:18 PM
864 ... 1718192021 ...