03-07-15 09:35 PM
864 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    I happen to like WP8 and if BlackBerry fails that where I'll probably go to

Posted via CB10

I am a windows phone fan, all my phones have been Lumia's I am currently rocking a 930 and eagerly awaiting Windows 10 but I do see have crazy some of my fellow windows fans are
    01-24-15 02:00 PM
    Yes and as a company that also has your own mobile OS you would probably make your version of an app better and differentiated to try to sell your product and generate more revenue for you and your shareholders. I know BlackBerry doesn't do this as is evident with Docs to Go and how the BlackBerry version is the worst, which might drive your customers to the competition, but then they can just say things aren't fair instead of making their products and software for those products the best.

Posted via CB10
    Yes Docs to go is better on the competing platform and I have repeatedly ding BlackBerry for that, however maximizing my profits would make my shareholders happy and as I see it, there are roughly 5 to 7 million potential bb10 customer out there. It would be a crime not to pursue that market to further maximize profits. That's how I I see it.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 02:01 PM
    Because you want convection?

How good is your satellite reception on your am radio? 😨

I'm convinced you are part of the populace that I am continually showing up to vote against.
    My satellite reception is awesome rocking my Z30 and my Z30 can spank your whatever any time of the day pal. Vote all you want, this is a crackberry site and you are the one that needs to be voted against buddy.

Keep your personal attacks to yourself. As I haven't attacked you peronally. Simply arguing my case

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 02:05 PM
    But the one with the convention oven sucks at everything else but the convention oven so why bother using the convention part if you want to swing it that way.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you should consider carrying multiple smartphones.
    01-24-15 02:09 PM
    I'm not attacking you personally. I'm attacking the I should get something for nothing mentality that you so righteously feel entitled to.

It's really quite scarry.

I hate google and I hate android and I hate apple.....but my BlackBerry phone should do everything they can do.....just because. Its not blackberry's fault it doesn't do those things. Certainly can't be my fault for not considering what some product may or may not be capable of before I purchase it. I bought a smart phone and it isn't smart enough so someone else is to blame and my grievances should be dealt with by congress because I need to be protected from myself while out in public.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-24-15 at 02:48 PM.
    leglace1, MikeX74 and mornhavon like this.
    01-24-15 02:13 PM
    Exactly my point, cross platform generic apps will not beat optimised platform specific apps. So app neutrality isn't the answer to apps and service shortages on low market share platforms. It is entirely MS and BB job to get the service providers to provide native experiences
    MS at least has a strategy that might help. Instead of whining to the US government, they are making their IDE free to indie developers and enhancing its cross platform capabilities. They are also unifying their disparate phone and tablet APIs (that they weren't like this from the beginning shows how dysfunctional the former MS management was). If Windows 10 is not the failure Windows 8 was, their "app gap" should reduce significantly.
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-24-15 02:13 PM
    MS at least has a strategy that might help. Instead of whining to the US government, they are making their IDE free to indie developers and enhancing its cross platform capabilities. They are also unifying their disparate phone and tablet APIs (that they weren't like this from the beginning shows how dysfunctional the former MS management was). If Windows 10 is not the failure Windows 8 was, their "app gap" should reduce significantly.

Exactly MS has finally got their stuff together and has made a compelling reason to develop for their platform. Develop once and deploy from desktop to tablet, from phone to an xbox. BB has to first beat MS and has BB anything to trump that?
    01-24-15 02:16 PM
    Yes Docs to go is better on the competing platform and I have repeatedly ding BlackBerry for that, however maximizing my profits would make my shareholders happy and as I see it, there are roughly 5 to 7 million potential bb10 customer out there. It would be a crime not to pursue that market to further maximize profits. That's how I I see it.

Posted via CB10
    OK. I've been a PlayBook user since day one, and Same with BB10. I cancelled my Netflix account when they wouldn't support the PlayBook years ago. I never really missed the service hut might get it back at some point as that effort by me was pointless. But if I were to get a new account, there is a PS3, two Xbox 360, one Xbox One, and Apple TV, a Fire TV, and a Sony Blu-ray player that are already connected to my various TV's around the house that are far better to consume that content on. For Mobile use I'm not going to watch a 2 hour movie in my Z30 unless I'm on a plane and you can't watch Netflix on a plane. I would imagine that most Bb10 owners have better ways to watch Netflix than the phone too and probably a good number of those have Netflix accounts. So how many customers is lack of BB10 app truly hurting Netflix? And again a BlackBerry represent I've called the CEO a moron!?

Also I just logged into to Amazon App Store, downloaded Netflix, and guess what:
    John Chen's thoughts on Net Neutrality-img_20150124_142259.png

So Netflix did exactly what BlackBerry told then and all others to do: develop an Android app and submit it to Amazon's ap store. So it appears they aren't keeping content away from BlackBerry at all.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 02:25 PM
    Yes the mobile browser version does work fine but it's missing certain features that Google purposely left out. Look at the app features then look at the browser features and you will see for yourself. As a company if I wanted as many people to use my product, I would make it available for all devices. In this case although the browser is what I prefer over the apps that are currently available, I can't help but notice that Google made the experience pretty basic through the browser but with other browser the experience is much more better. Control is the word here. Don't believe me, go to an iPad and open YouTube in the browser and tell ne what it does. Same with android then compare them to BlackBerry, Amazon, WP8.

Posted via CB10
    BBM has more features on BB10 than it does on iOS, Android, or Windows Phone. Is this type of control by BlackBerry unacceptable?
    01-24-15 02:45 PM
    No.......and it should be outlawed. Net neutrality and all that....
    01-24-15 02:51 PM
    HTML5 can be used to create apps for different platforms in one swoop. It can be considered a standard for app neutrality but why isn't it popular?
    Why HTML5 Is Not Enough

Why LinkedIn dumped HTML5 & went native for its mobile apps | VentureBeat | Dev | by J. O'Dell

Why HTML5 is not the choice for enterprise mobility | HTML5 | Creative Bloq

None of these links have anything specifically to do with BB, so there is no BB bias here. Instead, they explain from various points of view why HTML5 is limited and difficult for developers, and thus why developers and users alike prefer native apps over HTML5.

In fact, just look at our own forum here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...l#post11289517

The CBC shut down its native app and went to HTML5 - exactly what people here are asking for - and what happened? There is an uproar, because the HTML5 version doesn't compare to the native app. In a whole lot of cases, that's going to be true, and that is why apps aren't going anywhere.
    01-24-15 03:28 PM
    Why HTML5 Is Not Enough

Why LinkedIn dumped HTML5 & went native for its mobile apps | VentureBeat | Dev | by J. O'Dell

Why HTML5 is not the choice for enterprise mobility | HTML5 | Creative Bloq

None of these links have anything specifically to do with BB, so there is no BB bias here. Instead, they explain from various points of view why HTML5 is limited and difficult for developers, and thus why developers and users alike prefer native apps over HTML5.

In fact, just look at our own forum here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...l#post11289517

The CBC shut down its native app and went to HTML5 - exactly what people here are asking for - and what happened? There is an uproar, because the HTML5 version doesn't compare to the native app. In a whole lot of cases, that's going to be true, and that is why apps aren't going anywhere.

Which leads us on the path of native is best so app neutrality will lead to a poor experience to the lowest common denominator. If I was the lowest common denominator I would rather have a high quality app or no app.
    01-24-15 03:34 PM
    01-24-15 03:37 PM
    And for the more technical readers

Why mobile web apps are slow | Sealed Abstract
    01-24-15 03:51 PM
    It's isn't fair when companies like Google won't allow BlackBerry or Amazon to use the YouTube app on BlackBerry or Amazon tablets.... that's just plain fowl play so let's not twist this. John Chen is right when he says that companies like Google monopolize the market forcing people to buy their ecosystem in order to enjoy said product. If it's available for Android, available for Apple then is should be available for all. That's the point. It's not about poor me, it's another format of control that these people have. The best part is when Google a couple of years ago was complaining about the same thing with apple but no one bitched then. Now BlackBerry is saying the same thing and ooooh how can Chen say such a thing. It's just another way of bashing BlackBerry as far as I and many others are concerned

Posted via CB10
    Why should it be available "for all"? Google includes Apple because Apple has a huge user base. They'd be walking away from money to not include Apple. Clearly, BlackBerry is a user base they feel comfortable in excluding. If you need access to Google services, maybe buy a different phone. Frankly, iOS is lucky to have access to so many Google services. If Google cut off iOS tomorrow, it is their right to do so... and I don't think iPhone users or Apple/Tim Cook would expect the US goverment to intercede because "it's not fair" and they're somehow entitled to access to Google services on their Apple products.

Perhaps in they should have considered that fact when they made their purchase and not just whinned and complained after the fact. If you wanted or needed Google services and bought a product that doesn't have it, the problem is YOU not Google
    So much ^this

That is the point that I'm making. But you just don't get it. How's this for you.

Remember when you could go to the store and purchase a DVD to watch a movie? It didn't matter what DVD player you were rocking, all that mattered was that it played right? Take a look at today and see if that process is still available. It is not. Buy a movie from apple, you can only watch it on apple products. Same goes for Google. Change any of those services and see if you can watch those movies on those platforms? You can't. That's the point. That's one of the things Chen is referring to. Does it make sense now?

Posted via CB10
    Well, I can walk in to a Best Buy and purchase a copy of Uncharted 3 for my Playstation 3... and I can only play it on my Playstation 3. Not Playstation 2. Not XBox 360. Not Nintendo Wii. Not Sega Dreamcast. Is this discrimination? Because by your logic (and Chen's according to you) it sure seems to fit the bill. Apps are not movies/DVDs. They're much closer to being video games, or software. If I buy a program for my PC, and it won't work on a Mac, is that discrimination?

Thank you.... that's exactly what I though you would say. Why can't Google stop blocking the browser experience? Because then I won't want a BlackBerry and buy their product right? Thank you for providing us with the gripe that Mr. Chen has...... that mere statement reeks of control by Google....

Posted via CB10
    Because they don't have to. It's their product and their property. If you don't like the way Google handles their affairs, then don't use any of their services. If you need their services, then purchase a device that is supported.

Why should they? Why would they?

Because you and John don't think its fair? Get a grip. Now Google needs to justify your purchasing decision making disorder.
    And ^this. Again.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 01-24-15 at 04:47 PM.
    Coachbulldog and Cynycl like this.
    01-24-15 04:29 PM
    I'm not attacking you personally. I'm attacking the I should get something for nothing mentality that you so righteously feel entitled to.

I hate google and I hate android and I hate apple.....but my BlackBerry phone should do everything they can do.....just because. Its not blackberry's fault it doesn't do those things. Certainly can't be my fault for not considering what some product may or may not be capable of before I purchase it. I bought a smart phone and it isn't smart enough so someone else is to blame and my grievances should be dealt with by congress because I need to be protected from myself while out in public.
    Sense of entitlement.... Yeah okay. I'd gladly pay for the damn apps. I don't dislike anyone except you..... lol. I'd gladly and always have paid for my apps. You haven't a clue as to supporting your brand so please walk.... go to where you can have your convention oven

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 04:53 PM
    Apologist - a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

http://i.imgur.com/p1TTz6O.jpg
    We're all apologists here cause you are also defending your controversial point of view !
    01-24-15 05:03 PM
    Sense of entitlement.... Yeah okay. I'd gladly pay for the damn apps. I don't dislike anyone except you..... lol. I'd gladly and always have paid for my apps. You haven't a clue as to supporting your brand so please walk.... go to where you can have your convention oven

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Don't you worry about me. I got convection, microwave, rotisserie, stove top, bar-b-q and a smoker.

What may shock you; that in order to do so, I bought multiple devices from a variety of manufacturers and didn't need legislative protections to accomplish it.

I didn't sit with just my toaster oven, whining it couldn't roast a thanksgiving turkey, because its just not fair.

I support brands that serve the purpose I require for the task. I don't tattoo their logo on my body or feel the need to convince others my purchase choice is superior. I'll switch brands when they begin making substandard products, **** me off, or something better comes along.

I think for myself
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-24-15 at 05:22 PM.
    01-24-15 05:04 PM
    Sense of entitlement.... Yeah okay. I'd gladly pay for the damn apps. I don't dislike anyone except you..... lol. I'd gladly and always have paid for my apps.
    10million or less BB10 users is not a big enough market for these developers to care about. It doesn't matter if YOU would pay. They would need the entire user base to pay and it would still not come close to the amount of Android and iOS users using their app. It is all about ROI.

If I make an app, I am not making it on BB10 and there is no way in hell you or anyone else including Mr.Chen is going to force me to do it. That is not how this works. This is not discrimination, this is business. And business goes where the money is, not to 2% or less of the global marketshare.

You like BB10, awesome. You don't like that BB10 doesn't have all of these apps that you want/need. It sounds like you made the wrong purchase.

You can't expect these developers to drain funds from their iOS and Android dev teams just so they can break even or possibly score an insanely tiny profit from BB10. They already have 90%+ of the market covered and they are happy with that. It is not their fault you chose to be in the 2% they deem not worthy of their time and effort. It also doesn't help that BB said to just release apps in the Amazon AppStore. It seems BB gave up on native apps a while ago and now they are trying to blame others for their awful app selection.
    jmr1015, Cynycl, marty314 and 1 others like this.
    01-24-15 05:10 PM
    Ask this community if they wouldn't pay for a decent app. Your argument is mute. 10 million would be 10 billion had they developed the app for BlackBerry. That's the point. Your mere attitude about never making apps for BlackBerry even further Mr. Chens argument so lovely. Keep your app, we don't need you. Enjoy!!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    How much would you pay? Would you pay $50 for an app that costs $1 on the Apple App Store?
    01-24-15 05:20 PM

You are saying everything I have been saying for a while. I agree 100%.

BlackBerry has been polluted with an Android mentality. Not so much Apple. Android had issues with lagginess for a very long time and it took many generations of products with specs made to address the issues that it became the norm to expect updated hardware every quarter. They did finally optimize their OS with the hardware in the last 2 years finally. Android users were spoiled in a sense, especially with so many competing companies making android devices to one up each other. Competition is great for technology, but it can take unnecessary turns just to take your money. Now BlackBerry is getting infected by these needless demands, and entitlement just because.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:22 PM
    How much would you pay? Would you pay $50 for an app that costs $1 on the Apple App Store?
    Why would I pay $50 dollars... make a good and people will buy it. Plain and simple. 10 million people time $2.00 is a lot of money. And it would have been 10 billion had the app been available. Think.about that.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:23 PM
    Ask this community if they wouldn't pay for a decent app. Your argument is mute. 10 million would be 10 billion had they developed the app for BlackBerry. That's the point. Enjoy!!

Posted via CB10
    Argument is not mute. Your crying is pointless because you chose the platform that doesn't have a big enough market for developers to care about.

Also, you lose the argument completely if you actually think 1/10 of the 10 million would even pay for it. Give me a break.

If you want the apps, get the platform that has them.

The next time Windows gets an exclusive PC game (which is basically all of them), let's see Apple cry about it. BlackBerry is less than what Apple is in the desktop world.
    Cynycl and mornhavon like this.
    01-24-15 05:26 PM
    Why would I pay $50 dollars... make a good and people will buy it. Plain and simple. 10 million people time $2.00 is a lot of money. And it would have been 10 billion had the app been available. Think.about that.

Posted via CB10
    Because BB has around 1% of the US market. 10 million people is a lot less than the 800 million that have been sold. Total Android sales are over a billion.
    01-24-15 05:26 PM
864 ... 1617181920 ...