03-07-15 09:35 PM
864 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    It works in the web browser just fine. Watched some YouTube videos just fine this morning. Chen chose some poor examples, and words, and so are you. No content provider should be forced to build apps for all platforms, especially one that has publicly stated that consumers are not their focus and have no new current consumer focused devices. Apple and Google are both working to get more and more businesses in board, but they aren't out there stating either businesses or consumers aren't their focus. They simply improve the product's weaknesses and continue to try to get more and more market penetration.

BlackBerry should have kept it's mouth shut about what customers it was targeting with BB10. Just release BES12 and BBM protected and say it shows continued commitment to business. Work on the consumer side and when you have something good to say tout that as continue to improve the experience for our consumer focused customers. But don't say your focus is X and then cry when Y isn't buying your phones and the industries focusing on Y are ignoring your product too.

Again BlackBerry wants consumers and consumer content then they have to stop saying that it isn't their focus, make products that consumers want (high end all touch, TV devices, wearables, etc) even if they don't sale well initially, and throw lots of cash at content providers to get the big apps.

Posted via CB10
    Yes the mobile browser version does work fine but it's missing certain features that Google purposely left out. Look at the app features then look at the browser features and you will see for yourself. As a company if I wanted as many people to use my product, I would make it available for all devices. In this case although the browser is what I prefer over the apps that are currently available, I can't help but notice that Google made the experience pretty basic through the browser but with other browser the experience is much more better. Control is the word here. Don't believe me, go to an iPad and open YouTube in the browser and tell ne what it does. Same with android then compare them to BlackBerry, Amazon, WP8.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:20 PM
    You honestly believe that.... I asked my own kids that have iPhones and when to android and the number one reason for them not using a BlackBerry (Which they liked) was because it didn't have the apps that they use to communicate with their friend (snap chat, instagram). Now I'm talking as little as three years to present. The youth is the way of the future. If the youth don't like the device and it's because apps, how do you expect the masses to buy BlackBerry? Ask anyone you know why they don't buy a BlackBerry and see what answers you get. "No apps, going out of business, went out of business, it's not what my friends use". That's what I've gotten here in NY. I know 5 people that use BlackBerry. No one else does. Media like cnet and verge and even Wallstreet bash BlackBerry. It's a know fact but look at the reviews of the people that own the phones. 4.5 out of 5 stars at the carrier review sites and cnets own customer review site. But yet, they bash the phone regardless. Why is that I ask? As a test, I went to T-Mobile and Verizon and asked question in regards to BlackBerry. You do not even want to know what the sales people told me about the Z30. So as far as people testing out bb10, they never will because the people that they rely on for knowledge themselves are saying stay clear of BlackBerry. That's what the problem here is.

On another note, I've fought this battle with many. I've shown what BlackBerry can do and when asked, how about those apps, I show them the apps that I can get from snap and amazon. Then the question is, if that's the case, why not get android then? Go figure.... it it somewhat makes sense. John Chen isn't saying that these companies should make apps per say but allow BlackBerry to install those apps per say without the restrictions imposed on BlackBerry. Take YouTube in this example, why can't I run YouTube on bb10 even though BlackBerry is running the android runtime? Because Google will not allow it. That's the reason why and that is a fact.

Posted via CB10
    You illustrated my point perfectly. You showed your kids BB10 and then they saw it didn't have apps and didn't want it. You had to show it to them for them to see that there weren't apps available for it. My point was that people didn't rush out to buy a BB10 phone and then realize that it didn't have apps so they then returned it. People didn't buy it because they didn't know to buy it because BB did a horrible job marketing the phone to consumers. They spent years telling people that other platforms were toys and that you can't get work done on a touchscreen phone and that the other platforms were jokes. People moved on. BB releases BB10 and no one showed up to buy it. They didn't care if it had apps or not. How many times has someone posted a thread saying they showed someone their phone and that person said "Thats a Blackberry?" You make it sound like people rushed into stores to buy it but found out it didn't have some major apps and said "Oh never mind." That didn't happen.
    01-24-15 01:21 PM
    Their app, service so it's their decision don't like it buy something else.

Some apps aren't optimizer for qhd discrimination!
    So what do you recommend to buy then? Android, IPhone? If so, I rest my point and Chen point.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:22 PM
    Where did I say Bluetooth...??

Posted via CB10
    My mistake I meant bluray. I was busy sending Google music to my Bose soundlink via bluetooth at the time and had a brain fart
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-24-15 at 02:40 PM.
    01-24-15 01:23 PM
    Yes the mobile browser version does work fine but it's missing certain features that Google purposely left out. Look at the app features then look at the browser features and you will see for yourself. As a company if I wanted as many people to use my product, I would make it available for all devices. In this case although the browser is what I prefer over the apps that are currently available, I can't help but notice that Google made the experience pretty basic through the browser but with other browser the experience is much more better. Control is the word here. Don't believe me, go to an iPad and open YouTube in the browser and tell ne what it does. Same with android then compare them to BlackBerry, Amazon, WP8.

Posted via CB10
    Want a Google experience.... Get a Google certified product. What don't you get about that relationship?
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-24-15 at 01:43 PM.
    01-24-15 01:25 PM
    So what do you recommend to buy then? Android, IPhone? If so, I rest my point and Chen point.

Posted via CB10
    recommendation is simple know what you are buying and also know the advantages and disadvantages . Blackberry used to have a lot of advantages consuming content and tons of apps were never one of them and everyone who bought knew it.
    Cynycl and jmr1015 like this.
    01-24-15 01:26 PM
    HTML5 can be used to create apps for different platforms in one swoop. It can be considered a standard for app neutrality but why isn't it popular? By being open to all developers could just hook it up to a small amount of platform specific code and you have your app on every platform or just keep it as a website. Maybe Chen should be promoting the existing standard first before pushing for a sole war for app neutrality that even the closest person in their issues and woes Microsoft isn't pushing for
    Sent from my Luminous Lime Green Lumia 930
    01-24-15 01:27 PM
    You illustrated my point perfectly. You showed your kids BB10 and then they saw it didn't have apps and didn't want it. You had to show it to them for them to see that there weren't apps available for it. My point was that people didn't rush out to buy a BB10 phone and then realize that it didn't have apps so they then returned it. People didn't buy it because they didn't know to buy it because BB did a horrible job marketing the phone to consumers. They spent years telling people that other platforms were toys and that you can't get work done on a touchscreen phone and that the other platforms were jokes. People moved on. BB releases BB10 and no one showed up to buy it. They didn't care if it had apps or not. How many times has someone posted a thread saying they showed someone their phone and that person said "Thats a Blackberry?" You make it sound like people rushed into stores to buy it but found out it didn't have some major apps and said "Oh never mind." That didn't happen.
    So the mere fact that they did like the OS but their #1 reason was because they didn't have apps that they used is the reason why they didn't get a BlackBerry passed your interpretation of what I said right? You can't have one without the other. BlackBerry did advertise when bb10 first came out. It wasn't as big as Samsung but it was something. When I went to get my Z10, the salesmen tried everything in his power to steer me to android. Now as a consumer, when the sales guy pushes you away from a product and uses the words, "No apps" why then would I buy the phone much less look at it. I'm taking the salesperson word in this because that is their job, to give me advice on my purchase right? Your point just proved once again, what Chen is saying right there.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:29 PM
    Wow and here was Chen saying that BlackBerry did not need native consumer apps last year. Talk about your Jump the shark moment.

Talk about not doing what I say with regard to BBM for WP.

Maybe he is getting ready to offer Android devices as he was "forced" into it.

The whole Amazon consumer alternative was never going to work. Amazon is not serious about their smartphones and they are in the same pickle. Maybe if Chen would have combined with Amazon and used some restraint of trade type strategy against Google in the USA? But very doubtful.

BlackBerry wears this problem. They need a dual OS phone or at least Android alternatives. An Android Classic / Passport for starters.
    01-24-15 01:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Buy the product that does what you need it to do. Don't buy a toaster oven and whine that it doesn't have the convection function and suggest that it should....because it just isn't right
    01-24-15 01:33 PM
    Want a Google experience.... Get a Google certified product. What don't get about that relationship?
    Thank you.... that's exactly what I though you would say. Why can't Google stop blocking the browser experience? Because then I won't want a BlackBerry and buy their product right? Thank you for providing us with the gripe that Mr. Chen has...... that mere statement reeks of control by Google....

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:33 PM
    So the mere fact that they did like the OS but their #1 reason was because they didn't have apps that they used is the reason why they didn't get a BlackBerry passed your interpretation of what I said right? You can't have one without the other. BlackBerry did advertise when bb10 first came out. It wasn't as big as Samsung but it was something. When I went to get my Z10, the salesmen tried everything in his power to steer me to android. Now as a consumer, when the sales guy pushes you away from a product and uses the words, "No apps" why then would I buy the phone much less look at it. I'm taking the salesperson word in this because that is their job, to give me advice on my purchase right? Your point just proved once again, what Chen is saying right there.

Posted via CB10
    Lol they might have liked the OS, but again it was because you showed it to them. BB did a horrible job conveying anything meaningful to a consumer as a reason to go out and buy their phone. And guess what, people didn't buy it. You can blame carriers all you want, but delayed releases, horrific advertising, and alienating consumers is why THE MAJORITY of the population didn't care when BB released OS10. Not only did most people not care, they really didn't know about it to begin with.
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-24-15 01:37 PM
    Thank you.... that's exactly what I though you would say. Why can't Google stop blocking the browser experience? Because then I won't want a BlackBerry and buy their product right? Thank you for providing us with the gripe that Mr. Chen has...... that mere statement reeks of control by Google....

Posted via CB10
    Why should they? Why would they?

Because you and John don't think its fair? Get a grip. Now Google needs to justify your purchasing decision making disorder.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    01-24-15 01:38 PM
    Android > BlackBerry 10 > iOS ... from easiest to hardest in my opinion. The fact that you need a mac to develop for iOS factors into being the hardest to get into.

Posted via CB10
    Not if you have a Mac, then Windows Phone would be the hardest to get into.

Perhaps Microsoft and Apple should be forced to port their tools to other platforms.
    01-24-15 01:38 PM
    HTML5 can be used to create apps for different platforms in one swoop. It can be considered a standard for app neutrality but why isn't it popular? By being open to all developers could just hook it up to a small amount of platform specific code and you have your app on every platform or just keep it as a website. Maybe Chen should be promoting the existing standard first before pushing for a sole war for app neutrality that even the closest person in their issues and woes Microsoft isn't pushing for
    Sent from my Luminous Lime Green Lumia 930
    Facebook tried that. It's users were not so happy with the result.
    01-24-15 01:41 PM
    What features are missing from the mobile browser version? I've yet to see any features missing from the mobile browser version. In fact, Google's mobile browser interfaces are typically better than anybody else's mobile browser experience. But seriously... what features are missing from the mobile browser version?
    01-24-15 01:43 PM
    Facebook tried that. It's users were not so happy with the result.

Exactly my point, cross platform generic apps will not beat optimised platform specific apps. So app neutrality isn't the answer to apps and service shortages on low market share platforms. It is entirely MS and BB job to get the service providers to provide native experiences
    Cynycl, ADGrant and mornhavon like this.
    01-24-15 01:45 PM
    Netflix should also work on the browser just fine. But it doesn't. There's plenty of examples where companies intentionally block service because it's not their "favorite platform ".... except the browser is platform agnostic... so let us ACCESS IT.

Posted via CB10
    Do they let any mobile browsers access their content? I think the answer is no, at least it was at one point. I believe they are using apps for Mobile and Web for desktops. Apple and Android have phones, tablets, and TV devices. Microsoft has the ability to run apps for Windows phone on the desktops, have tablets, phones, and own the desktop market. With the PlayBook BlackBerry announced the Android player before it was even launched, which caused devs to wait for the player to minimize their efforts, and didn't deliver the player until a year later, when the tablet was a known sales failure with no traction and a phone platform coming out soon that was totally different. Again a totally botched set of circumstance by BlackBerry. Also Alec Saunders called the CEO of Netflix a moron publicly while working for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    leglace1 likes this.
    01-24-15 01:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that is right! I think you get it! They have to offer it to Apple because Apple was established and already had a massive user base when apps became available before Android was even available.

I honestly can't see how you can support his statements Ray. Blackberry kept a monopoly on all of their services for years when they had the market share. Now that they don't have it they expect other manufacturers to open up everything to them? Take the 3rd party apps out of the discussion. Why on earth do you feel entitled to have Google's services on your competing platform? Apple has it because they had a huge marketshare and google saw the advantage of keeping it available to Apple's customer base. They don't have to offer it to Apple, they do it because they see a benefit to it. They don't see a benefit to doing it with BB and that is their right to not offer it.
    01-24-15 01:49 PM
    Buy the product that does what you need it to do. Don't buy a toaster oven and whine that it doesn't have the convection function and suggest that it should....because it just isn't right
    But the one with the convention oven sucks at everything else but the convention oven so why bother using the convention part if you want to swing it that way.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:50 PM
    Wow and here was Chen saying that BlackBerry did not need native consumer apps last year. Talk about your Jump the shark moment.

Talk about not doing what I say with regard to BBM for WP.

Maybe he is getting ready to offer Android devices as he was "forced" into it.

The whole Amazon consumer alternative was never going to work. Amazon is not serious about their smartphones and they are in the same pickle. Maybe if Chen would have combined with Amazon and used some restraint of trade type strategy against Google in the USA? But very doubtful.

BlackBerry wears this problem. They need a dual OS phone or at least Android alternatives. An Android Classic / Passport for starters.
    Do you think android OS is better than BlackBerry OS? If so, what makes it better? I don't think so. And many here will say the same.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:52 PM
    Do you think android OS is better than BlackBerry OS? If so, what makes it better? I don't think so. And many here will say the same.

Posted via CB10

But many people from competing platforms say the same about theirs. WP fans are notorious for fighting for their platform to the death. Its all a moot point really.
    01-24-15 01:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes and as a company that also has your own mobile OS you would probably make your version of an app better and differentiated to try to sell your product and generate more revenue for you and your shareholders. I know BlackBerry doesn't do this as is evident with Docs to Go and how the BlackBerry version is the worst, which might drive your customers to the competition, but then they can just say things aren't fair instead of making their products and software for those products the best.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:56 PM
    But many people from competing platforms say the same about theirs. WP fans are notorious for fighting for their platform to the death. Its all a moot point really.
    I happen to like WP8 and if BlackBerry fails that where I'll probably go to

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:58 PM
    But the one with the convention oven sucks at everything else but the convention oven so why bother using the convention part if you want to swing it that way.

Posted via CB10
    Because you want convection?

How good is your satellite reception on your am radio? 😨

I'm convinced you are part of the populace that I am continually showing up to vote against.
    leglace1 likes this.
    01-24-15 01:58 PM
864 ... 1516171819 ...