03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    Yes, I'm not impressed with the third party offering so.far
    Whether or not those apps are any good is beside the point, that's an issue to be addressed with the app's developers themselves. But the point was your insistence that those services are not available on non-OHA devices as a matter of enforced control. Which simply isn't true. Those services are available to non-OHA devices. If you don't like the apps that utilizing them... well that's not Google's concern. Take it up with the app developers.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-24-15 11:48 AM
    Even though it may seem embarrassing seeing Chen chastised, I think Chen wanted to seize the opportunity to call out developers like Netflix publicly. I did appreciate that.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:51 AM
    This is app neutrality. Different thing all together lol
    I'm aware of that. But the post I was responding to was doing exactly what Chen did, and lumped it in with Net Neutrality.

App Neutrality (oh god, a new buzzword) is nonsense altogether. And for Chen to lump it in with Net Neutrality is an abomination.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-24-15 11:52 AM
    App Neutrality is just a spoke in the message. BlackBerry is working on all things internet right? That's why BlackBerry and Mr. Chen made that comment. Apps is just one piece of the puzzle. In.order for it to.work, they must all play nice together and come up.with something. I think if he clarified that message then all would understand.

Posted via CB10

Why should they all play nice together? Technology has always been survival of the fittest and that is what going to happen with the IoT the large predators will devour the smaller predators and the strongest will be the standard that's used I.e. Vhs and betamax, HD DVD and bluray etc. This is how competition grows innovation, if all played nice tech would stay still or develop at a slower rate.
    01-24-15 11:54 AM
    If you really think this... then you have no idea what Net Neutrality even means or stands for. Even at the fundamental level.
    I think you don't see what the vision is and net Neutrality is a piece of that vision. The world wide Web is a joke. It's more like the wild wild Web. Things need to change. If "internet of things" is to.change the world then all players that includes carriers must work together set up some standards for everything to.work properly (Hence, my DVD analogy somewhere in this thread) that also includes apps that must work on every platform. Defacto standards. If you don't see that, then you are the one who doesn't understand the whole picture.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:54 AM
    Yes I know what the press is saying. It's what I expected them to say. Ask yourself why Chen would make such a comment. Why would he make such a statement. Then you will understand why he wrote it

Posted via CB10
    Good question, why would he want to expose himself and BB to ridicule. I think CIO Magazine has the correct interpretation, the severity of the app gap is driving him to desperation.

Unfortunately its going to be hard to market to enterprise when the the publications the decision makers read think you are desperate.
    01-24-15 11:55 AM
    I'm aware of that. But the post I was responding to was doing exactly what Chen did, and lumped it in with Net Neutrality.

App Neutrality (oh god, a new buzzword) is nonsense altogether. And for Chen to lump it in with Net Neutrality is an abomination.
    To me the issue is this. If Netflix as the ability and resources to either give me their service through the browser or post that app to the app store they should... forget about small developers these big companies have the resources to do either Web or store app.

Posted via CB10
    App Neutrality is just a spoke in the message. BlackBerry is working on all things internet right? That's why BlackBerry and Mr. Chen made that comment. Apps is just one piece of the puzzle. In.order for it to.work, they must all play nice together and come up.with something. I think if he clarified that message then all would understand.

Posted via CB10
    Where did Chen say that exactly? Or is this something you fantasized he said?

Once again, you should actually read what WAS posted.
    Why should they all play nice together? Technology has always been survival of the fittest and that is what going to happen with the IoT the large predators will devour the smaller predators and the strongest will be the standard that's used I.e. Vhs and betamax, HD DVD and bluray etc. This is how competition grows innovation, if all played nice tech would stay still or develop at a slower rate.
    Yes but even Verizon, and AT&T know that if that standard isn't there, you can't call each other. Had they not come up with standards, you could only call people that are only part of your carrier and instead of having roaming charges out of country, we would have roaming charges per carriers. Get the point niw?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:56 AM
    QNX plays nice with Apple car,android and everything else. Does QNX need to not play nice for it to be successful? Some comparisons make no sense.... Blu-ray is a standard that won... so now all these manufacturers adopted the blu-ray standard... not just one company is building blu-rays

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:58 AM
    Yes but even Verizon, and AT&T know that if that standard isn't there, you can't call each other. Had they not come up with standards, you could only call people that are only part of your carrier and instead of having roaming charges out of country, we would have roaming charges per carriers. Get the point niw?

Posted via CB10

Yes but I think apps are not part of it, internet connected devices fo have standard protocols TCP/IP as long as they have that they can be served by services, apps are proprietary services and by that definitions are closed end off. IoT requires standards, apps don't.
    01-24-15 12:03 PM
    QNX plays nice with Apple car,android and everything else. Does QNX need to not play nice for it to be successful? Some comparisons make no sense.... Blu-ray is a standard that won... so now all these manufacturers adopted the blu-ray standard... not just one company is building blu-rays

Posted via CB10
    Clearly BB10 is not winning. I think that was Chen point.
    ADGrant likes this.
    01-24-15 12:04 PM

That's my interpretation based on everything that I've been ready that BlackBerry has been trying to do, from staying with corporate, Internet of things, blend, BBM Meetings , and going cross platform with BBM, everything that they are doing is to work with any devices. So after reading what he wrote, I wondered why he would write what he did? It plays with BlackBerry vision. Internet of things is what BlackBerry with other companies are working on no? Then it made sense to me what he was saying. Regulation of standards is what I think he's saying. Apps is just a part of that equation. Ask yourself the question. Is Mr Chen a capable and smart CEO? If so, then what does this message mean? Why did he say it? We know how everyone is taking that message. But what does it really mean? If you think he's an *****, then forget the letter and keep to your interpretation of that message.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 12:04 PM

Posted via CB10

That is what I meant at the moment companies are fighting tooth and nail for their standard to win but this case its their platforms. Windows won the right to be the "standard" for desktops its just another war to these companies
    01-24-15 12:05 PM
    To me the issue is this. If Netflix as the ability and resources to either give me their service through the browser or post that app to the app store they should... forget about small developers these big companies have the resources to do either Web or store app.

Posted via CB10
    They did give you the service. You and you alone opted to to make that process more difficult than it needed to be. Now they should cater to you?

Really?
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-24-15 12:07 PM
    OK sometimes acknowledging when someone just doesn't get a simple point saying nothing is best.

But at least to me the media talking about the turn around instead of that bull**** now would have been the much better option.
    01-24-15 12:07 PM
    QNX is not BB10... no that wasn't Chen's point. That's his point if you twisted it

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 12:09 PM
    I think you don't see what the vision is and net Neutrality is a piece of that vision. The world wide Web is a joke. It's more like the wild wild Web. Things need to change. If "internet of things" is to.change the world then all players that includes carriers must work together set up some standards for everything to.work properly (Hence, my DVD analogy somewhere in this thread) that also includes apps that must work on every platform. Defacto standards. If you don't see that, then you are the one who doesn't understand the whole picture.
    I do see what "the vision" is. And the concept of App Neutrality is a complete joke that the entire industry is laughing at. And to pollute the Net Neutrality movement with it is just awful. Nowhere does the IoT concept ever conclude that all apps should work on every platform. That's just ludicrous at best. Any developer, no matter how big or small, is free to develop for whatever platform he/she wants to. And that's the way it should be, regardless the reason. Whether that reason be limited resources, limited time, or just plain ole "I don't want to support that platform because I have a personal bias against them", it just doesn't matter. Developers are free to develop for whomever, whenever, they wish.

This whole concept is only beneficial to struggling platforms who need to piggy-back the big boys.
    01-24-15 12:09 PM
    Yes, blu-ray is the standard... there's that word, Standard and every manufacturer who makes a blu-ray player or burner must follow those standards. It doesn't matter whether it's Toshiba, Sony, Apple, etc,etc,etc. They must all follow that standard. Where are the standard from apple? They have standards but.... Only for apple products. Google has standards also but... only for Google products.

Chen messages is, regulations of a standard when they all aren't playing nice, when things are becoming a monopoly. If I'm wrong so be it, but a man of his caliber doesn't just say things just to say them. Something drove him to say these things.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 12:10 PM

The same way you fantasized that Chen said "bb10 isn't winning"?

Posted via CB10
    anon3923428 likes this.
    01-24-15 12:11 PM
    It's isn't fair when companies like Google won't allow BlackBerry or Amazon to use the YouTube app on BlackBerry or Amazon tablets.... that's just plain fowl play so let's not twist this. John Chen is right when he says that companies like Google monopolize the market forcing people to buy their ecosystem in order to enjoy said product. If it's available for Android, available for Apple then is should be available for all. That's the point. It's not about poor me, it's another format of control that these people have. The best part is when Google a couple of years ago was complaining about the same thing with apple but no one bitched then. Now BlackBerry is saying the same thing and ooooh how can Chen say such a thing. It's just another way of bashing BlackBerry as far as I and many others are concerned

Posted via CB10
    It works in the web browser just fine. Watched some YouTube videos just fine this morning. Chen chose some poor examples, and words, and so are you. No content provider should be forced to build apps for all platforms, especially one that has publicly stated that consumers are not their focus and have no new current consumer focused devices. Apple and Google are both working to get more and more businesses in board, but they aren't out there stating either businesses or consumers aren't their focus. They simply improve the product's weaknesses and continue to try to get more and more market penetration.

BlackBerry should have kept it's mouth shut about what customers it was targeting with BB10. Just release BES12 and BBM protected and say it shows continued commitment to business. Work on the consumer side and when you have something good to say tout that as continue to improve the experience for our consumer focused customers. But don't say your focus is X and then cry when Y isn't buying your phones and the industries focusing on Y are ignoring your product too.

Again BlackBerry wants consumers and consumer content then they have to stop saying that it isn't their focus, make products that consumers want (high end all touch, TV devices, wearables, etc) even if they don't sale well initially, and throw lots of cash at content providers to get the big apps.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 12:11 PM
    QNX is not BB10... no that wasn't Chen's point. That's his point if you twisted it

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't talking about qnx and neither were you. I was referencing Bluetooth that you defined as the winning standard. How is that twisting anything?
    01-24-15 12:13 PM
    It works in the web browser just fine. Watched some YouTube videos just fine this morning. Chen chose some poor examples, and words, and so are you. No content provider should be forced to build apps for all platforms, especially one that has publicly stated that consumers are not their focus and have no new current consumer focused devices. Apple and Google are both working to get more and more businesses in board, but they aren't out there stating either businesses or consumers aren't their focus. They simply improve the product's weaknesses and continue to try to get more and more market penetration.

BlackBerry should have kept it's mouth shut about what customers it was targeting with BB10. Just release BES12 and BBM protected and say it shows continued commitment to business. Work on the consumer side and when you have something good to say tout that as continue to improve the experience for our consumer focused customers. But don't say your focus is X and then cry when Y isn't buying your phones and the industries focusing on Y are ignoring your product too.

Again BlackBerry wants consumers and consumer content then they have to stop saying that it isn't their focus, make products that consumers want (high end all touch, TV devices, wearables, etc) even if they don't sale well initially, and throw lots of cash at content providers to get the big apps.

Posted via CB10
    Netflix should also work on the browser just fine. But it doesn't. There's plenty of examples where companies intentionally block service because it's not their "favorite platform ".... except the browser is platform agnostic... so let us ACCESS IT.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 12:15 PM
    I wasn't talking about qnx and neither were you. I was referencing Bluetooth that you defined as the winning standard. How is that twisting anything?
    Where did I say Bluetooth...??

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-24-15 12:16 PM
    Netflix should also work on the browser just fine. But it doesn't. There's plenty of examples where companies intentionally block service because it's not their "favorite platform ".... except the browser is platform agnostic... so let us ACCESS IT.

Posted via CB10
    Their app, service so it's their decision don't like it buy something else.

Some apps aren't optimizer for qhd discrimination!
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-24-15 12:20 PM
864 ... 1415161718 ...