03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    Yes a long time ago. How long has apple been around? And when did YouTube become a download instead of it being embedded in the OS?

Posted via CB10
    The point is that it was purchased before iPhones and Android were even in existence. When YouTube was purchased it was nowhere near as widely used as it is now. You claimed it was purchased in response to "Apple forcing their services on the masses."
    01-24-15 11:08 AM
    Did you even read Chen's letter? Because that statement alone demonstrates that you haven't. Or are you just shooting from the hip to blindly defend your faith in all things Chen/BB?
    Oh I read that letter. I saw what he wrote. My interpretation is what I've come up with and why he said what he said. He didn't make this statement blindly. There was a reason for it. I'm explains the resin why based on my interpretation of the message and why he said it. Regulation isn't going to work we all know that but control from what appears to be a monopoly doesn't work either.

Posted via CB10
    If that's his decision then I will support it simply because we know what BlackBerry needs but will never see it. Maybe if BlackBerry makes a holographic phone then maybe apps will be developed for them but based on what I've seen in the entire tech industry, I can't say that it will ever change.

Posted via CB10
    Let's assume theoretically that this happens:

What would developers do? Act pissed of half *** some kind of app and then ? Call for regulating what the app must be able to accomplish
    ?

Another thing to keep in mind is the performance gap. Ios apps are designed in a certain way same goes for Android so the capabilities will always differ . And like i said which user would pay 8 times the price tag of other plattforms?

What BB needs to do is provide something people want to buy and support. You know a new bb9900
    Wow... you still don't get it. If you think it's pitty then you missed the whole point of this conversation

Posted via CB10
    Yep its a pitty party you're having. Go back and read your posts. All it keeps repeating is how wrong, how unfair, how this isn't right, poor me and my blackberry should have Google and every other competitors products and services because......dammit its just not fair.

Clear cut case of discrimination for certain. Oh but you missed the part where Chen repeatedly stated that fact.
    01-24-15 11:11 AM
    The point is that it was purchased before iPhones and Android were even in existence. When YouTube was purchased it was nowhere near as widely used as it is now. You claimed it was purchased in response to "Apple forcing their services on the masses."
    Yes and Google when and changed it structure of it to be what it is today. That structure forced apple to remove it from being embedded to a download from apples store. Why isn't that the case for WP8.... Better yet, why not available for Amazon that is using Android runtime, or BlackBerry that is also using Android runtime. That is the point. That is the message right there. That is why Chen made the statement

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:11 AM
    Wow... you still don't get it. If you think it's pitty then you missed the whole point of this conversation

Posted via CB10
    I think it is you who is missing the whole point of this conversation. Here is what some of the press is saying:

"BlackBerry CEO's Desperate Comments Spotlight Severity of 'App Gap" - CIO magazine.
    BlackBerry CEO's Desperate Comments Spotlight Severity of 'App Gap' | CIO
    (FYI CIOs are the people who will determine BB10's success in the Enterprise)

"BlackBerry CEO John Chen proposes profoundly stupid 'app neutrality' law" - PC World
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen proposes profoundly stupid 'app neutrality' law | PCWorld

"BlackBerry Has Never Looked So Desperate" Business Insider
    BlackBerry FCC Apps Proposal - Business Insider

Blackberry CEO Wants Congress To Make Blackberry Apps Mandatory - Forbes
    Cynycl and Bbnivende like this.
    01-24-15 11:14 AM
    Let's assume theoretically that this happens:

What would developers do? Act pissed of half *** some kind of app and then ? Call for regulating what the app must be able to accomplish
    ?

Another thing to keep in mind is the performance gap. Ios apps are designed in a certain way same goes for Android so the capabilities will always differ . And like i said which user would pay 8 times the price tag of other plattforms?

What BB needs to do is provide something people want to buy and support. You know a new bb9900
    With apple apps, that would be a problem in itself and we all know why. With android apps, well BlackBerry and Amazon both use android runtime so..... Why doesn't YouTube, Google Nav, and basically any android runtime app work with said manufacturer..... go ahead, say it.... I'll wait. CONTROL. If games that are designed for Android run great on my Z30, why can't YouTube and other Google service reliant apps work on my BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:17 AM
    I think it is you who is missing the whole point of this conversation. Here is what some of the press is saying:

"BlackBerry CEO's Desperate Comments Spotlight Severity of 'App Gap" - CIO magazine.
    BlackBerry CEO's Desperate Comments Spotlight Severity of 'App Gap' | CIO
    (FYI CIOs are the people who will determine BB10's success in the Enterprise)

"BlackBerry CEO John Chen proposes profoundly stupid 'app neutrality' law" - PC World
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen proposes profoundly stupid 'app neutrality' law | PCWorld

"BlackBerry Has Never Looked So Desperate" Business Insider
    BlackBerry FCC Apps Proposal - Business Insider

Yes I know what the press is saying. It's what I expected them to say. Ask yourself why Chen would make such a comment. Why would he make such a statement. Then you will understand why he wrote it

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:19 AM
    Let's see, android runtime on bb10, BlackBerry made it so. Apps that aren't depended on Google services run just fine. Apps that don't won't run not because of coding flaws, it's because GOOGLE WILL NOT ALLOW IT. That's the difference here.
    Google has nothing to do with an App developer's decision to use Google Play Services. That's the sole decision of the developer, not Google. All Google does, is offer services to OHA standards compliant devices. Those services are not essential to app development, and developers choose whether or not they use them. If you want to complain that an app doesn't work with the BB10 Android Runtime, then take it up with the developer.

It's control and what Chen is saying that such control shouldn't be allowed. If you make it work for some. Then it should work for all. Android, BlackBerry and Microsoft cannot use the app. I'll take it one step forward, Microsoft requested that YouTube app be available on WP8. Google refused. Microsoft created their own app. Google told Microsoft to remove features that they didn't like were on Microsofts app. Microsoft had to comply or Google would shut there app assess down. You don't call that control?
    Google never refused to make a YouTube app for WP. Microsoft wanted to build their own app that would harvest the MetaData that Google gathered from the YouTube service, which was completely reasonable for Google to refuse. Microsoft built their own YouTube app that harvested that data anyway, as well as sidestepped YouTube's ad service and was streaming videos without the ads, which was against YouTube's TOS. So Google shut down access to the Microsoft built app. Microsoft eventually capitulated and released a new YouTube app to work within the rules. Microsoft was completely in the wrong in that whole fiasco. Google didn't refuse to build an app, Microsoft just didn't want Google to make the app because Microsoft wouldn't have access to YouTube's metadata.
    01-24-15 11:25 AM
    With apple apps, that would be a problem in itself and we all know why. With android apps, well BlackBerry and Amazon both use android runtime so..... Why doesn't YouTube, Google Nav, and basically any android runtime app work with said manufacturer..... go ahead, say it.... I'll wait. CONTROL. If games that are designed for Android run great on my Z30, why can't YouTube and other Google service reliant apps work on my BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry and Amazon use a customized ASOP Android build that exists because Google has made the core OS freely available. When is BB going to open source BB10? Perhaps Congress should mandate that all software should be open source and free?

Apps in the Google Play app store generally assume the presence of services available on official Google Android builds. If app developers want to invest the time and money to release on the Amazon app store, they are free to do so.

Google fully supports the Apple platform so YouTube & Google maps is available on 95% of the smartphones available in the US market.
    01-24-15 11:26 AM
    Why ?Because your device of choice doesn't have google Play service which just like Itunes mobile is connected to a different plattform!

Just look at all bad press this has created.

Instead of talking about the turn around the media is now rightfully focusing on that outrageous ideas
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-24-15 11:28 AM
    If he can't figure out why Google services doesn't run right on his non Google device.............he is beyond reason
    01-24-15 11:31 AM
    My DVD doesn't play right in my VCR or Betamax. Now Neil Young wants me to buy my 8th copy of The Wall and the White album. Its so unfair. Its just wrong. I'm so discriminated against. Somebody needs to do something.

Help help I'm being repressed.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-24-15 11:34 AM
    Not a fan of Eclipse myself. Thankfully Google finally released their Android IDE which is a huge improvement.
    Android > BlackBerry 10 > iOS ... from easiest to hardest in my opinion. The fact that you need a mac to develop for iOS factors into being the hardest to get into.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:34 AM
    In order for net Neutrality to work, all manufacturers and all hardware must work together to bring what they all envision to work on everything. Including app development. Think TCP/IP. It's an industry standard. You want to create a mobile device, you have to Taylor to the industry standard right. Well that's the message that Chen is trying to convey. If Neutrality isn't put in place, then we will never achieve the next level. Apple, Microsoft, Google, BlackBerry and many others have great patents and great ideas, imagine if they all worked together to bring the concepts that they all want to bring. It will never happen if there isn't completely Neutrality. That's what Mr. Chen is referring to. Look at these links. It's the only way they can take tech to the next level. Each one of them have some patent that the other needs to break that milestone.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLfE...&v=6Cf7IL_eZ38

None of these things can be possible if they all keep going the route that they are going. That goes for all of them, including BlackBerry

That is the message Mr Chen wants to say in my opinion and if they can't play nice because of greed then maybe the government should step in and help (Not force) this to happen. That includes apps, hardware, technologies and patents. It's the only way. Not corporate greed and control of mine, mine, mine.

Posted via CB10
    tre10 likes this.
    01-24-15 11:35 AM
    My DVD doesn't play right in my VCR or Betamax. Now Neil Young wants me to buy my 8th copy of The Wall and the White album. Its so unfair. Its just wrong. I'm so discriminated against. Somebody needs to do something.

Help help I'm being repressed.
    Wow...Apple has an app for that if you need it....
    John Chen's thoughts on Net Neutrality-facebook-20130824-171202_2.png

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:37 AM
    Youtube works on Amazon and BB10 devices. The YouTube app created by Google doesn't, but there is a public API that 3rd party developers can (and do) use to create 3rd party YouTube apps.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-24-15 11:38 AM
    Unfortunately, the paragraph quoted has nothing to do with net neutrality. It has to do with market access and profit. If I want to sell my product, I'm going for the bigger markets = bigger returns. If I make a good enough return, I wouldn't even think about tiny markets.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, because Ferrari, Porches and Lamborghini have huge markets.

We are in a catch 22. No apps, no consumers. No consumers, no app development. For me, I'd rather live without the apps and have the better OS experience.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:38 AM
    Youtube works on Amazon and BB10 devices. The YouTube app created by Google doesn't, but there is a public API that 3rd party developers can (and do) use to create 3rd party YouTube apps.
    Yes, I'm not impressed with the third party offering so.far

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:40 AM
    In order for net Neutrality to work, all manufacturers and all hardware must work together to bring what they all envision to work on everything. Including app development. Think TCP/IP. It's an industry standard. You want to create a mobile device, you have to Taylor to the industry standard right. Well that's the message that Chen is trying to convey. If Neutrality isn't put in place, then we will never achieve the next level. Apple, Microsoft, Google, BlackBerry and many others have great patents and great ideas, imagine if they all worked together to bring the concepts that they all want to bring. It will never happen if there isn't completely Neutrality. That's what Mr. Chen is referring to. Look at these links. It's the only way they can take tech to the next level. Each one of them have some patent that the other needs to break that milestone. <snip>
    If you really think this... then you have no idea what Net Neutrality even means or stands for. Even at the fundamental level.
    Cynycl, jmr1015, mornhavon and 2 others like this.
    01-24-15 11:40 AM
    If you really think this... then you have no idea what Net Neutrality even means or stands for. Even at the fundamental level.
    This is app neutrality. Different thing all together lol

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-24-15 11:43 AM
    Yeah, because Ferrari, Porches and Lamborghini have huge markets.

We are in a catch 22. No apps, no consumers. No consumers, no app development. For me, I'd rather live without the apps and have the better OS experience.

Posted via CB10
    They all have tires, third party, they al have shocks third party, they all have tech, third party. All third party have to follow a standard that is regulated in order for those vehicles to be able to be on the road. That Standart is what Chen is referring to. That standard needs regulating in.oeder for net Neutrality to work. We will never pass that milestone the way we are going. That's the Message

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-24-15 11:43 AM
    Wow...Apple has an app for that if you need it....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook-20130824-171202_2.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	329390

Posted via CB10
    But the app doesn't run on my device. It's so unfair. The government needs to step and strike down this injustice immediately before the internet is damaged beyond repair.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-24-15 at 12:02 PM.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-24-15 11:44 AM
    That broken record is done and over with. Look at BB10 now.... the past is what it is. It's the new BlackBerry and no one will cut them a break. At least no one in the USA

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry told devs to develop in Android and submit them to the Amazon app store in June 2014. What do you expect devs to do when that is the message coming from BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-24-15 11:45 AM
    This is app neutrality. Different thing all together lol

Posted via CB10
    App Neutrality is just a spoke in the message. BlackBerry is working on all things internet right? That's why BlackBerry and Mr. Chen made that comment. Apps is just one piece of the puzzle. In.order for it to.work, they must all play nice together and come up.with something. I think if he clarified that message then all would understand.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:46 AM
864 ... 1314151617 ...