03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Let me tell you that every app that I've downloaded from android works just fine on my bb10 with no issues what so ever so I'm not sure what you mean when it crashes.
    Believe me, if "It works fine for me" was all that was required to certify a software update for worldwide release then app developers would happily accept John Chen's terms.
    app_Developer and mornhavon like this.
    01-24-15 10:24 AM
    Here's another person asking for Google play services that won't run on BlackBerry.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=992628

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 10:25 AM
    A couple of years ago, Google complained to the masses of one manufacturer who was hogging all the apps and forcing everyone to that ecosystem. They said it on live TV when introducing one of their OSs.

Chen took it a step further by addressing congress or whom ever in the government about it

Posted via CB10
    I'm interested in seeing this.

In any case, I will say that this is one of the most indefensible positions I have ever come across in the tech sphere.

Quite interesting.
    01-24-15 10:26 AM
    Believe me, if "It works fine for me" was all that was required to test a software update for worldwide release then app developers would happily accept John Chen's terms.
    Let's see, android runtime on bb10, BlackBerry made it so. Apps that aren't depended on Google services run just fine. Apps that don't won't run not because of coding flaws, it's because GOOGLE WILL NOT ALLOW IT. That's the difference here. It's control and what Chen is saying that such control shouldn't be allowed. If you make it work for some. Then it should work for all. Android, BlackBerry and Microsoft cannot use the app. I'll take it one step forward, Microsoft requested that YouTube app be available on WP8. Google refused. Microsoft created their own app. Google told Microsoft to remove features that they didn't like were on Microsofts app. Microsoft had to comply or Google would shut there app assess down. You don't call that control?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 10:30 AM
    Let me tell you that every app that I've downloaded from android works just fine on my bb10 with no issues what so ever so I'm not sure what you mean when it crashes. The only apps that crash for me are the ones that are coded by Google to only play on Google services. That is control. That's what Chen is referring to.

Posted via CB10
    And that control is something everyone knows people are buying phones for different reasons and they know what they are getting into.

Want control and app support build something people want to buy.

Apple doesn't have to change a thing same Goes for Android. The so called regulators would be flooded with dictation lawsuits if they even propose such a stupid idea!

Till now no apologist has answered the payment question... Ireally like what Chen has done but this proposal has been timed badly and is extremely outrageous I would call it asking for dictation
    jmr1015 likes this.
    01-24-15 10:33 AM
    I'm interested in seeing this.

In any case, I will say that this is one of the most indefensible positions I have ever come across in the tech sphere.

Quite interesting.
    Granted, government interference is a bit much but, when companies outright refuse to make a service available to another when other have that service, that's where the trouble lies. It's up to the masses to make the complaint but oh wait, a major part of the majority are using these services under a device controlled by said manufacturer. Get it now.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 10:33 AM
    A couple of years ago, Google complained to the masses of one manufacturer who was hogging all the apps and forcing everyone to that ecosystem. They said it on live TV when introducing one of their OSs.

Chen took it a step further by addressing congress or whom ever in the government about it

Posted via CB10
    If this is true, then please link to an article or video from the time documenting it.
    mornhavon, Cynycl and ADGrant like this.
    01-24-15 10:35 AM
    @ Ray Soto

Since when did it become Google's or Amazon's or Netflix or anyone else's concern to make Blackberry functional or profitable?

Its clear to me that you don't comprehend business or competition.
    01-24-15 10:36 AM
    And that control is somethink everyone knows people are buying phones for different reasons and they know what they are getting into.

Want control and app support build something people want to buy.

Apple doesn't have to change a thing same Goes for Android. The so called regulators would be flooded with dictation lawsuits if they even propose such a stupid idea!

Till now no apologist has answered the payment question... Ireally like what Chen has done but this proposal has been timed badly and is extremely outrageous I would well it asking for dictation
    It will never happen but I do think Chen needs to clarify what message he is trying to instill here. But knowing how the media is, they will just twist it to something against BlackBerry. Maybe he shouldn't explain it at all and let the media take it to where it doesn't have to go.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 10:38 AM
    No, developers such as Google that block you tube app from playing on any device that isn't approved by Google even though they are running android run time. That's the argument Chen is referring to. Amazon who runs android also can't use the YouTube app because they aren't using Google play store. That's just unfair and it's control.... that's what Chen is saying needs to stop.

Posted via CB10

I know and understand your point of view, WP doesn't have official Google Services either and is a big detriment to that platform too. Though I don't agree on a government mandate or other ways to level the playing field that is against the developers side. The minority platforms must compete on their merits and boost their market share to get developer interest. You want to captivate them and encourage them to develop for you not through force. The developers should have a choice to develop for or not because they may end up developing half baked solutions and it will not make anyone's side any better because of a forceful push.
    01-24-15 10:39 AM
    Here's another person asking for Google play services that won't run on BlackBerry.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=992628

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps in they should have considered that fact when they made their purchase and not just whinned and complained after the fact. If you wanted or needed Google services and bought a product that doesn't have it, the problem is YOU not Google
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-24-15 at 10:52 AM.
    01-24-15 10:42 AM
    If this is true, then please link to an article or video from the time documenting it.
    If I can find that video of their live event of them complaining about apple forcing their services on the masses I will post it. That's why google purchased key companies that changed certain things happening. Like YouTube and many other. Notice how apple no longer had YouTube and Google nav embedded in the OS anymore? Once Google purchased these companies, and set up their apps to work a certain way, apple had to make them download able through the store

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 10:42 AM
    @ Ray Soto

Since when did it become Google's or Amazon's or Netflix or anyone else's concern to make Blackberry functional or profitable?

This underscores the entire discussion for me.

Ray, do you believe Firefox OS has an inalienable right to getting, say, BlackBerry Travel?
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-24-15 10:44 AM
    @ Ray Soto

Where in my writing did you see that. I didn't say that at all. Read it again, it states that BlackBerry isn't the only one with this issue. Amazon, Microsoft, are also having issues with certain apps that only are available to who Google approves it to be. It wasn't so in the past, now it is. It's control. Has nothing to do with the future of BlackBerry. It has to do with the comments that we made by Mr Chen there. And why he made them. You just don't see it. I've been watching it unfold for years now.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 10:45 AM
    It will never happen but I do think Chen needs to clarify what message he is trying to instill here. But knowing how the media is, they will just twist it to something against BlackBerry. Maybe he shouldn't explain it at all and let the media take it to where it doesn't have to go.

Posted via CB10
    Clarification isn't needed because the intentions are clear here and sadly point him and their PR department in a bad light.
    01-24-15 10:49 AM
    Perhaps in they should have considered that fact when they made their purchase and not just whinned and complained after the fact.
    That is the point that I'm making. But you just don't get it. How's this for you.

Remember when you could go to the store and purchase a DVD to watch a movie? It didn't matter what DVD player you were rocking, all that mattered was that it played right? Take a look at today and see if that process is still available. It is not. Buy a movie from apple, you can only watch it on apple products. Same goes for Google. Change any of those services and see if you can watch those movies on those platforms? You can't. That's the point. That's one of the things Chen is referring to. Does it make sense now?

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-24-15 10:51 AM
    Clarification isn't needed because the intentions are clear here and sadly point him and their PR department in a bad light.
    If that's his decision then I will support it simply because we know what BlackBerry needs but will never see it. Maybe if BlackBerry makes a holographic phone then maybe apps will be developed for them but based on what I've seen in the entire tech industry, I can't say that it will ever change.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-24-15 10:53 AM
    That is the point that I'm making. But you just don't get it. How's this for you.

Remember when you could go to the store and purchase a DVD to watch a movie? It didn't matter what DVD player you were rocking, all that mattered was that it played right? Take a look at today and see if that process is still available. It is not. Buy a movie from apple, you can only watch it on apple products. Same goes for Google. Change any of those services and see if you can watch those movies on those platforms? You can't. That's the point. That's one of the things Chen is referring to. Does it make sense now?

Posted via CB10
    Nope.

I can buy the DVD if that's what I choose to do. If I purchase through Apple and it doesn't work on other platforms, I blame myself. I don't whine and have a pitty fit about how unfair life is.

See the difference?
    01-24-15 10:56 AM
    If I can find that video of their live event of them complaining about apple forcing their services on the masses I will post it. That's why google purchased key companies that changed certain things happening. Like YouTube and many other. Notice how apple no longer had YouTube and Google nav embedded in the OS anymore? Once Google purchased these companies, and set up their apps to work a certain way, apple had to make them download able through the store

Posted via CB10
    Uh...Google bought YouTube in 2006...
    01-24-15 11:00 AM
    Here's my prediction, QNX will continue to prosper but BlackBerry will sell off their mobile to Samsung or any other mobile based company that will purchase the side of the business. That's the whole reason why Mr. Chen broke them all apart so this way they can sell off what ever isn't making money but still keep the company alive. Stance business practices show that when something isn't working, sell it. That rumor of Samsung acquiring BlackBerry isn't all false, I think BlackBerry may sell off their mobile division if it doesn't pick up leaving them with corporate infrastructure (Internet of Things, QNX, Infotainment, BES12). Why make phone a when you can control what allows any mobile device to enter a corporate structure. Unless, BlackBerry makes a comeback in the mobile market. The real question is, Do you see that happening?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:02 AM
    Uh...Google bought YouTube in 2006...
    Yes a long time ago. How long has apple been around? And when did YouTube become a download instead of it being embedded in the OS?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:03 AM
    Let's see, android runtime on bb10, BlackBerry made it so. Apps that aren't depended on Google services run just fine. Apps that don't won't run not because of coding flaws, it's because GOOGLE WILL NOT ALLOW IT. That's the difference here. It's control and what Chen is saying that such control shouldn't be allowed. If you make it work for some. Then it should work for all. Android, BlackBerry and Microsoft cannot use the app. I'll take it one step forward, Microsoft requested that YouTube app be available on WP8. Google refused. Microsoft created their own app. Google told Microsoft to remove features that they didn't like were on Microsofts app. Microsoft had to comply or Google would shut there app assess down. You don't call that control?

Posted via CB10
    So what? Why can't companies have control over their own products and intellectual property? You act as if Google is so controlling. At least it allows the runtime on competing OS's. What part of BB10 is open source? Where is the free BB10 runtime available on an Android? There is none because BB does not just give that code away for free. I just don't see why it is so important that all apps run on all platforms. Native BB10 apps don't work on Android phones and they never will unless BB allows a BB10 runtime. Is that some evil conspiracy that requires government intervention?

So Google wants to have control over its extraordinarily important product YouTube. Oh the horror that a company wants to be in control of its own product. BlackBerry refuses to release BBM for desktop OS's like Windows and Mac. If Apple made its own BBM app for Mac and released it as a stock program on new Macs, ignoring BlackBerry's objections, Crackberry would absolutely explode from the hatred that would ensue - for good reason - Apple doesn't have any right to steal another company's product and release it on its own platform just because the owner hasn't done so.
    01-24-15 11:04 AM
    Nope.

I can buy the DVD if that's what I choose to do. If I purchase through Apple and it doesn't work on other platforms, I blame myself. I don't whine and have a pitty fit about how unfair life is.

See the difference?
    Wow... you still don't get it. If you think it's pitty then you missed the whole point of this conversation

Posted via CB10
    Am I missing something here because I haven't seen any mention of discrimination from BlackBerry or Chen for that matter. It's not discrimination, it's down right greed and lies. That's the issue here
    Did you even read Chen's letter? Because that statement alone demonstrates that you haven't. Or are you just shooting from the hip to blindly defend your faith in all things Chen/BB?
    Cynycl likes this.
    So what? Why can't companies have control over their own products and intellectual property? You act as if Google is so controlling. At least it allows the runtime on competing OS's. What part of BB10 is open source? Where is the free BB10 runtime available on an Android? There is none because BB does not just give that code away for free. I just don't see why it is so important that all apps run on all platforms. Native BB10 apps don't work on Android phones and they never will unless BB allows a BB10 runtime. Is that some evil conspiracy that requires government intervention?

So Google wants to have control over its extraordinarily important product YouTube. Oh the horror that a company wants to be in control of its own product. BlackBerry refuses to release BBM for desktop OS's like Windows and Mac. If Apple made its own BBM app for Mac and released it as a stock program on new Macs, ignoring BlackBerry's objections, Crackberry would absolutely explode from the hatred that would ensue - for good reason - Apple doesn't have any right to steal another company's product and release it on its own platform just because the owner hasn't done so.
    Well I guess that is the point and if that's what BlackBerry want then they to fall under that spectrum also no?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:06 AM
864 ... 1213141516 ...