03-07-15 09:35 PM
864 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Lol people here think this would mean building native apps for everyone when it could easily be up to the developer to build native apps for iOS and Android and build 1 other version for all others. This is not a crazy idea when you think about it. Except for proprietary things like imessage should stay on iOS. It's not like Apple supports xcode for Windows.

Posted via CB10
    This isn't what JC said.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-23-15 03:33 PM
    Lol people here think this would mean building native apps for everyone when it could easily be up to the developer to build native apps for iOS and Android and build 1 other version for all others.
    Isn't that what the web version is for?
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    01-23-15 03:38 PM
    If you buy a device that doesn't have Snap Chat... who's fault is that?

There are a lot of factors that go into deciding to build for a platform. Ten years ago having 10 million users would have been enough. Today that number might be 100 million users or more (BBOS had 70 Million at one time and didn't get all the attention we wanted). A while back I saw Microsoft had sold over 400 million Windows 8 and 8.1 licenses. And yet developers aren't exactly banging down the doors to the Windows platform.

BlackBerry made a number of mistakes when it comes to developers... courting them should have happened back with the PlayBook. But the PlayBook flopped and then the Z10 and even the Q10 fell flat. At this point IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN! Chen is crying over spilt milk... if he want's to make a statement he should show up on Facebook doorstep and offer them 10% of the company in exchange for an official Facebook and Instagram app. With a part of the company, Facebook might then put pressure on developers that they work with....
    Thank you.
    01-23-15 03:39 PM
    JC is alienating all the developers further by issuing this open letter to the senate.
    Just when I think BBRY possibly couldn't get any dumber, JC went and redeemed himself.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-23-15 03:40 PM
    Isn't that what the web version is for?
    Can I access Netflix on the Web?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 03:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    That actually is not Netflix's fault, their contract with content owners demanded so.
    01-23-15 03:43 PM
    Lol people here think this would mean building native apps for everyone when it could easily be up to the developer to build native apps for iOS and Android and build 1 other version for all others. This is not a crazy idea when you think about it. Except for proprietary things like imessage should stay on iOS. It's not like Apple supports xcode for Windows.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed but, It's the demanding that they build that 1 other version, or worse yet enacting a law to require it that is the issue.
    01-23-15 03:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep, with a couple of hundred million devices.
    01-23-15 03:44 PM
    Yep, with a couple of hundred million devices.
    Not mobile devices...

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 03:47 PM
    Agreed but, It's the demanding that they build that 1 other version, or worse yet enacting a law to require it that is the issue.
    I disagree. They don't need to build it themselves. The same way iGrann or other apps are built by third parties.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 03:48 PM
    This isn't what JC said.
    I know. That's what he should of said. He didn't go into much detail on how developers could achieve this... so it's easy to pick apart what he said and find flaws....

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 03:49 PM
    That actually is not Netflix's fault, their contract with content owners demanded so.
    So would a law passed that is similar to what JC is asking prevent such a thing?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 03:51 PM
    Look at it from Instagram's perspective: their app is the "keys to their kingdom", and since they have never published a public API, in order for anyone else to make a fully-featured app, Instagram would have to hand over their proprietary, self-developed technology to another company - a company that could potentially use that technology to compete with Instagram.

Keep in mind that BBM is something of a competitor against Instagram. I'm not saying they are intended to be identical, but both are common ways that people communicate with each other today.

And the fact is that Instagram has not allowed any other company to have access to its own internal code and processes. I'm sure other companies would like some access too, not just BB.

This is just another example of people here seeing everything only from BB's perspective, and never bothering to look at things from the perspective of the company that BB is wanting things from.14

It's like the old story of two squirrels. The first one works hard all summer doing the tedious work of finding and gathering and storing nuts for the winter. The second stands around watching and laughing at the first, saying "The weather is beautiful, and winter will probably never come. You are dumb for wasting your time on hard work when you could be enjoying it like me."

Then winter does come, and the second squirrel starts to get hungry, but there are no nuts to be found, so he demands that the first squirrel share the nuts he so carefully gathered over the summer months, because "it isn't fair that you have food to eat and I don't - I might die!"

There were rumors of Apple making a phone back in 2005, and by 2006, it was well-known that a phone was forthcoming. That was Apple gathering nuts, while BB watched and laughed. Then the iPhone was released in late 2006. More laughing from BB. And BB continued to laugh as Apple and Google gathered nuts, until 2010, when it was clear to BB that winter really WAS coming, and that BB had made no provisions for it. And having spent several years with no food, and no end to winter in sight, BB is now demanding that the other companies be forced by the government to share their nuts so that BB doesn't die of hunger during this bleak winter that BB insisted would never come.
    That, sir, was masterful.

Well said. I read that and thought back to being on these forums at the time of iPhone launching and seeing the reactions to Lazaridis and Balsillie scoffing at the threat. You nailed it.

Sent from my primary iPhone 6+, my iPad Air 4G, my backup Nexus 5 or my work issued Xperia Z3C.
    01-23-15 03:55 PM
    So would a law passed that is similar to what JC is asking prevent such a thing?

Posted via CB10
    There is close to no chance a law would pass to rid content owners of their right to demand protection on their property/IP. Those content owners also happen to be one of the largest spenders on lobbying activity.
    01-23-15 03:55 PM
    All I know is that if I do not have a BBM client on my Treo by the end of the week, BBRY will feel my wrath via letter to Congress.

Viva la app neutrality!
    If your Treo gets it, I'm petitioning for my Palm Pixi Plus.

*stomps feet*

Sent from my primary iPhone 6+, my iPad Air 4G, my backup Nexus 5 or my work issued Xperia Z3C.
    Tre Lawrence and Shlooky like this.
    01-23-15 04:00 PM
    Yes seriously.

BBRY touts the Android Runtime as being a solution to get apps to BB10. As a result, Netflix is available to BB10 devices. Why would Netflix even bother to devote resources to develop an entirely new app for BB10 when there is already a functional app usable with BB10 devices? Even should the time come when BB10 devices gains significant market share, developers can (and likely will) simply develop one app for Android and expect that to also be their BB10 version. If you're not happy with that then the onus is on BBRY's decisions, not the developers, so you'd do better to focus your angst with BBRY. To suggest that an entire industry should be forced to change to accommodate the wishes of one struggling platform is just folly at best.
    Some of these points are fine, however, why shouldn't Netflix be on the Amazon app store?

Why shouldn't we have access to the Google Play Store itself? It's just a store afterall, even if not a physical one. It's like saying that you won't let certain patrons into your store based on some other sort of discrimination. I am not 100 percent sure of this because I didn't personally try to troubleshoot it for him, but my brother was unable to get the Amazon App store on his Android device, likely because it was somehow blocked by Google. Perhaps there is a workaround that he can use but he shouldn't have to. Just like BlackBerry shouldn't have to use workarounds to access content.

The developers really don't have to do anything if this mandate goes through. It's targeting the app 'providers' not the developers. Google and Apple are the ones limiting the distribution of their content, not the developers. Also, there is no reason that apps based on HTML5 would not be available to everyone. This is where things were always going and someone had to throw the first stone. I respect BlackBerry's man in charge for bringing more attention to it.

John Chen is a very smart man and this letter was not just written on a drunken whimsy. He is pointing to a direction that things need to head towards, if we are going to embrace the connected world that we live in. I'm sure that he expected criticism from it. But he acted like a true leader and did something no one else would have done. Perhaps something that a lot of people don't understand his reasoning for. All the more respect to him for it.

The answer is not that everyone should have an iPhone. Those that want one should be allowed one, those that want something different, should equally be allowed that. And no one should be discriminated on based on their choice. He's not asking that the government help BlackBerry. He's trying to shine a light on an issue that needs attention if we hope to have a level playing field for everyone. A more successful capitalism, if you will... A system with more freedom (including freedom of choice) and less discrimination than our current state of democracy, which is run by corporate dictators, allows for.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-23-15 04:08 PM
    If your Treo gets it, I'm petitioning for my Palm Pixi Plus.
    Umm, guys, I've got a Palm V and Tungsten T with the GSM sled that is perfectly cable of receiving BBM messages so let's make sure everyone is treated fairly, here. We all deserve access to BBM no matter what platform we are currently using. If the apps are going to be HTML then fine but they don't need all the fancy colors that will crash my browser.
    Attached Thumbnails John Chen's thoughts on Net Neutrality-1305.jpg   John Chen's thoughts on Net Neutrality-m500_pcmica2.jpg  
    Tre Lawrence and reeneebob like this.
    01-23-15 04:10 PM
    Not mobile devices...

Posted via CB10
    Hence the apps and the devices that run them. Problem solved.

Blackberry's failings are their own and this discrimination crap is a joke. People need to suck it up and take responsibility for their choices. We don't need more government oversight and laws. NOT FOR ANYTHING. Nothing good can from from it.

This is as bad as the baker in Colorada that gets sued for not selling a cake to a gay couple and then another baker gets sued for refusing to write anti gay sentiments on a cake. Government doing a great job with those laws.

What happened to "we maintain the God given right to refuse service to anyone".....for any damn reason we choose. Oh yeah, the government did away with that concept as discriminatory.

This lowest common denominator mentality has worked so well in every other area.........lets apply it to apps too.
    01-23-15 04:15 PM
    Yup agree. Let the haters kick and scream but we all know they are kicking and screaming in fear .

Posted via CB10
    Wow... You're almost as hilarious as Chen.

Posted from an ME173X
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-23-15 04:15 PM
    Jim Balsillie's plan to take BBM completely cross-platform as a replacement for SMS looks as visionary now as it did when I first heard about it. It's too bad the 'exclusivity' argument won out then, and kind of pathetically sad that BlackBerry is reversing itself when suffering the fallout.

Posted via CB10
    donnation and anon1727506 like this.
    01-23-15 04:23 PM
    Hence the apps and the devices that run them. Problem solved.

Blackberry's failings are their own and this discrimination crap is a joke. People need to suck it up and take responsibility for their choices. We don't need more government oversight and laws. NOT FOR ANYTHING. Nothing good can from from it.

This is as bad as the baker in Colorada that gets sued for not selling a cake to a gay couple and then another baker gets sued for refusing to write anti gay sentiments on a cake. Government doing a great job with those laws.

What happened to "we maintain the God given right to refuse service to anyone".....for any damn reason we choose. Oh yeah, the government did away with that concept as discriminatory.

This lowest common denominator mentality has worked so well in every other area.........lets apply it to apps too.
    I live in Canada so our ideas on what is right and wrong are radically different. You shouldn't be able to refuse service unless it's absolutely outrageous. Like that woman that was asked to make a anti gay cake.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 04:23 PM
    And how is that problem solved if they don't offer their app across all platforms.... problem solved would be if Netflix was accessible with all modern browsers

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 04:25 PM
    Oh... and screw the Treo... just give me BBM on my Bold 9900 without BIS if you're serious about 'opening up' apps to all platforms. I do believe that BBOS may still have a larger market share than BB10

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-23-15 04:30 PM
    Oh... and screw the Treo... just give me BBM on my Bold 9900 without BIS if you're serious about 'opening up' apps to all platforms. I do believe that BBOS may still have a larger market share than BB10

Posted via CB10
    For now. Hopefully Chen's got a master plan to reverse that and flip that marketshare to be greater on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 01-23-15 at 05:16 PM.
    01-23-15 04:33 PM
    Some of these points are fine, however, why shouldn't Netflix be on the Amazon app store?

Why shouldn't we have access to the Google Play Store itself? It's just a store afterall, even if not a physical one. It's like saying that you won't let certain patrons into your store based on some other sort of discrimination. I am not 100 percent sure of this because I didn't personally try to troubleshoot it for him, but my brother was unable to get the Amazon App store on his Android device, likely because it was somehow blocked by Google. Perhaps there is a workaround that he can use but he shouldn't have to. Just like BlackBerry shouldn't have to use workarounds to access content.

The developers really don't have to do anything if this mandate goes through. It's targeting the app 'providers' not the developers. Google and Apple are the ones limiting the distribution of their content, not the developers. Also, there is no reason that apps based on HTML5 would not be available to everyone. This is where things were always going and someone had to throw the first stone. I respect BlackBerry's man in charge for bringing more attention to it.

John Chen is a very smart man and this letter was not just written on a drunken whimsy. He is pointing to a direction that things need to head towards, if we are going to embrace the connected world that we live in. I'm sure that he expected criticism from it. But he acted like a true leader and did something no one else would have done. Perhaps something that a lot of people don't understand his reasoning for. All the more respect to him for it.

The answer is not that everyone should have an iPhone. Those that want one should be allowed one, those that want something different, should equally be allowed that. And no one should be discriminated on based on their choice. He's not asking that the government help BlackBerry. He's trying to shine a light on an issue that needs attention if we hope to have a level playing field for everyone. A more successful capitalism, if you will... A system with more freedom (including freedom of choice) and less discrimination than our current state of democracy, which is run by corporate dictators, allows for.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    There is one huge fallacy in your analogy.

An Application Store is part of the product. It's not like a brick and mortar retail location. An application store is a feature of the platform, it is part and parcel of the entire solution.

In no way does it make sense to obligate Apple essentially to give away access to its store. If you want access to it, but a corresponding Apple product. Boom. You get access to the store.

This is how it works. BlackBerry does business this same way. If I drove to Waterloo, and asked for unlimited access to BBRY's property, I'd be laughed out of the building and cited for drunken behavior.

This is why astute folks (not me, because I was all for it) pointed out the potential drawbacks of the Runtime way back when: tying into someone else's app environment could create issues down the line. And it did, hence the call for app neutrality.
    xandermac and mornhavon like this.
    01-23-15 04:46 PM
864 ... 89101112 ...