06-23-15 07:32 AM
102 ... 2345
tools
    While this is certainly a problem it can mostly be overcome if the dev's themselves submit the apps to BlackBerry without the need for any changes. Some Dev's will balk anyhow since they don't want to support new form factors but others will agree because they suddenly become a very big fish in a pretty small pond which could be a reasonable bump in sales. At least according to my rose coloured glasses..

Posted via CB10
    I think at this point in time, anything that relies on developer relations is not a good idea. If some developers are actively blocking apps in the amazon appstore from working with BB devices, do you honestly think they would support iOS apps for BB?
    06-15-15 07:05 AM
    While this is certainly a problem it can mostly be overcome if the dev's themselves submit the apps to BlackBerry without the need for any changes. Some Dev's will balk anyhow since they don't want to support new form factors but others will agree because they suddenly become a very big fish in a pretty small pond which could be a reasonable bump in sales. At least according to my rose coloured glasses..

Posted via CB10
    Most developers (at least the ones people care about) already have Android and iOS versions of their apps. And they can already make their Android versions available to BB10 users via Amazon.

So what new apps would an iOS runtime add?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    06-15-15 08:16 AM
    Seems you omit that Samsung has its own app store ... but I can get your point though
    Samsung would fall off the cliff without Google Play Services. Any Android OEM would. Google has made Android pretty much reliant in them by enticing developers to integrate them into the apps. BlackBerry can't be successful in their Android strategy, whether BB10 runtime or moving to full Android, with Play services. Brilliant move by Google to stop the forking and prevent other from leveraging their work.

Posted via Z30
    06-15-15 09:54 AM
    Samsung would fall off the cliff without Google Play Services. Any Android OEM would.
    Yes best of luck getting a carrier in the US/UK to offer your Android fork/AOSP device - the problem gets worse when you consider how Google is busy building out the ecosystem with chromecast, googlewear and the start of moves into ioT and home.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-15-15 10:23 AM
    Bb10 for enterprise. Android BlackBerry for customers.

Posted via CB10
    That's not such a crazy idea. Though, I'm not sure that it would work.

Well, on the other hand, it could work by becoming a disaster. Kind of like Coca-Cola brought out New Coke on the 80s and people hated it and wanted their "classic" coke back. If people see that the Android BlackBerry isn't good then they may realize that the "classic" BB10 was the OS they wanted the whole time.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 09:23 PM
    This is the big question I have. So now that we know that the Android experiment will be towards the low end market, what are they going to do about apps? The runtime has only been a bandaid and we need something more permanent. While I love native apps and I support all the big BlackBerry devs we need to solve this problem permanently with an actual solution that is viable. I really hope BlackBerry has something up their sleeves.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 12:23 AM
    This is the big question I have. So now that we know that the Android experiment will be towards the low end market, what are they going to do about apps? The runtime has only been a bandaid and we need something more permanent. While I love native apps and I support all the big BlackBerry devs we need to solve this problem permanently with an actual solution that is viable. I really hope BlackBerry has something up their sleeves.

Posted via CB10
    John Chen is certainly hinting he has something up his sleeves. Now that it's clearer that going android is not the "new app strategy" JC was talking about.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 04:57 AM
    I hope going Android isn't the new app strategy.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 11:41 AM
    I hope going Android isn't the new app strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Lol so the deal with Amazon and direct downloading of apks since 10.2.1 didn't tip you off of Blackberry's app strategy?
    06-19-15 12:26 PM
    Lol so the deal with Amazon and direct downloading of apks since 10.2.1 didn't tip you off of Blackberry's app strategy?
    I think poster means Google Play Android compatible.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 12:28 PM
    The amazon app should have been a native BlackBerry app. My issue isn't with the android apps I download, it's with the amazon app. It runs like crap, can't update apps minimized, is slow and a pain in the *** overall.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 05:07 PM
    Can they run Swift 2 on a QNX kernel phone ? Apple says that Swift 2 apps will be available to port to Linux. Does not seem likely that BlackBerry will see Swift 2 .
    Well, QNX is a POSIX OS, as Linux almost is. Linux APIs often fall short of full posix compliance. The take away though, is that a lot of Linux src 'just builds' and runs fine on QNX.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 05:42 PM
    I mean getting rid of BB10 and going full Android isn't their app strategy.

Basically I still want bb10. And also give me apps, ON BB10.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 11:26 AM
    I mean getting rid of BB10 and going full Android isn't their app strategy.

Basically I still want bb10. And also give me apps, ON BB10.

Posted via CB10
    If Blackberry released a BB10 UI skin/launcher that perfectly recreated the BB10 UI with hub etc on Goggle Play would you use it?
    06-20-15 11:43 AM
    Problem is that you cannot secure Android. You would have to rewrite it from the ground up and change functionality that would go against Google's wishes.
    Perhaps it doesn't need to be any more secure than current Android for consumers to use. I think there are still consumer fans of BlackBerry who never saw security as the reason they ever used it. They remember the keyboard. They liked the hardware styling. Etc.

I was listening to Miriam Joire on All About Android this week basically praise BlackBerrys hardware prowess in terms of efficiently, and the keyboard, and antenna designs. She likes the Passport. But she wants it with Android. She expressed interest in the coming slider. So that got me thinking...

I do think Blackberrys hardware can be the point of differentiation for them. Without it running Blackberry 10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Coachbulldog, LazyEvul and DJM626 like this.
    06-20-15 12:12 PM
    That's not such a crazy idea. Though, I'm not sure that it would work.

Well, on the other hand, it could work by becoming a disaster. Kind of like Coca-Cola brought out New Coke on the 80s and people hated it and wanted their "classic" coke back. If people see that the Android BlackBerry isn't good then they may realize that the "classic" BB10 was the OS they wanted the whole time.

Posted via CB10

The only thing holding me back from switching to Android is the horrible IMHO UI experience, if Blackberry does switch over to full Android then it better create a skin/launcher that fully recreates the BB10 UI.
    jas1978 and INTz like this.
    06-20-15 12:49 PM
    If Blackberry released a BB10 UI skin/launcher that perfectly recreated the BB10 UI with hub etc on Goggle Play would you use it?
    I would think this is a no brainer. We get everything we love about BlackBerry and with Google Play... Alas, we'll all need to wait and see.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    06-20-15 01:39 PM
    What if balance opened full version of android?

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 06:54 PM
    Android itself is a crappy OS which is the problem to me.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 04:47 AM
    “The decision we made to build our own platform, in my view, was the best decision we ever made. Because it establishes us as a player who owns the whole stack in a device. We are not dependent on someone giving us an operating system… That’s why we built BlackBerry 10 – because we want to be the best at security.” – Thorsten Heins
    06-21-15 06:13 AM
    My thoughts are that the Google Play at work store apps will be administered across all capable devices under BES and be available on the work side of BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    06-21-15 09:57 AM
    John Chen is certainly hinting he has something up his sleeves.

Posted via CB10
    Could just be the rip-cord of his golden parachute...
    ubizmo and Coachbulldog like this.
    06-21-15 10:37 AM
    The decision we made to build our own platform, in my view, was the best decision we ever made. Because it establishes us as a player who owns the whole stack in a device. We are not dependent on someone giving us an operating system Thats why we built BlackBerry 10 because we want to be the best at security. Thorsten Heins
    Yet BlackBerry is now reliant on another OS with BB10, and has been since the PlayBook, and it is Android. As soon as they announced the runtime before the PlayBook launch, and implied it would run any Android app, many developers decided to wait for the runtime and get a two for one in their development. Of course the runtime sucked until 10.2.1, and developers didn't wait for them and Google cleverly locked down Android apps by working with developers to incorporate Play services into apps. So they built their own OS, that is reliant on another OS, that the owner of the OS is locking down.

Posted via Z30
    Coachbulldog and Avenzuno like this.
    06-21-15 08:43 PM
    Perhaps it doesn't need to be any more secure than current Android for consumers to use. I think there are still consumer fans of BlackBerry who never saw security as the reason they ever used it. They remember the keyboard. They liked the hardware styling. Etc.

I was listening to Miriam Joire on All About Android this week basically praise BlackBerrys hardware prowess in terms of efficiently, and the keyboard, and antenna designs. She likes the Passport. But she wants it with Android. She expressed interest in the coming slider. So that got me thinking...

I do think Blackberrys hardware can be the point of differentiation for them. Without it running Blackberry 10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    If BlackBerry releases an Android phone that is no more secure than other Android phones, their credibility goes in the tank. They absolutely cannot risk their main area of expertise that even their detractors give them credit. So if they release an Android phone, expect it to have a claim of superior security that BlackPhone can't match.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 02:13 PM
    If BlackBerry releases an Android phone that is no more secure than other Android phones, their credibility goes in the tank. They absolutely cannot risk their main area of expertise that even their detractors give them credit. So if they release an Android phone, expect it to have a claim of superior security that BlackPhone can't match.

Posted via CB10
    We don't really know. Depends on who the intended market is. If it is enterprise I will agree with you. That's why I mentioned consumers. I've never heard one single consumer type former BlackBerry user ever say "man I had a BlackBerry and that was one heck of a secure phone".

I believe in the consumer space security is not really seen as a selling point because most folks don't know enough to even appreciate what is and is not secure. I think consumers simply believe that if a problem occurs the company that made the phone will fix it. If it is an iPhone they expect Apple to fix issues. If it is Android they expect Samsung to fix it. This is all regardless of whether these fixes do happen in a timely manner.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 01:26 AM
102 ... 2345