Apple is going to make Swift 2 open source for Linux. In the news.
    Objective C, what most iOS apps are currently written with is open source, also. However, the iOS user interface elements are proprietary. Any iOS app developer will tell you that making iOS apps is 90% about manipulating the UI elements.
    06-11-15 02:50 PM
    While Swift 2 being opened up is very exciting.... we have seen from how Developers ignore BB10, Amazon, even Microsoft that just because creating a apps for more than one platform is possible or even easy, doesn't mean that Developers will do it. Just like HTML5 isn't the solution to "officially" close the App Gap, neither will all these new developer tools (Google also release a number of new tools) that allow them to build one app and then publish it in any format. There has to be a willingness to support the platform to begin with.
    Yes I agree. I am not a developer so I do not know what it means when Apple says open for Linux. Probably the one app that I would like to have is Facetime but that seems very unlikely.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 02:50 PM
    Objective C, what most iOS apps are currently written with is open source, also. However, the iOS user interface elements are proprietary. Any iOS app developer will tell you that making iOS apps is 90% about manipulating the UI elements.
    That's right, plus all the other frameworks that are part of iOS for everything from location to animations to networking and so on.

Those frameworks are proprietary to Apple. So getting swift and the runtime running on QNX doesn't magically get you iOS apps. Just like porting swift to Linux doesn't magically get you all Mac software on your Ubuntu laptop.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    sentimentGX4 and Avenzuno like this.
    06-11-15 02:56 PM
    Yes I agree. I am not a developer so I do not know what it means when Apple says open for Linux. Probably the one app that I would like to have is Facetime but that seems very unlikely.

Posted via CB10
    I think it simply means Apple implementation of Swift 2 programming language will be open source in the sense that the community will be free to fork it and to implement the forks using Apple's implementation as reference for other platforms. Facetime is Apple's proprietary IM protocol with no published API, the same with BBM being BlackBerry's. Swift will simply be another programming language to join many already existing programming languages. Whether Swift will reach the level of popularity enjoyed by the big ones like C, C++, C#, Java, PHP, Python, and the likes remains to be seen.
    06-11-15 04:57 PM
    Full secure Android device with BB10 UI skin, BB10 QT/Cascades runtime for legacy BB10 Apps running in full or almost full speed mode using QNX hypervisor plus full Google Apps support. Truly the best of both worlds. Full BB10 App compatibility and full android App Compatibility. No more App Gap. Attractively spec'd, designed and priced devices. Proper marketing campaigns with support for their partners. The first device supporting App Neutrality 1.0. The epitomy of the secure mobile phone that no one has any reason to hate.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 06-11-15 at 08:09 PM.
    06-11-15 07:57 PM
    There's no chance of getting iOS apps. The developers and the apps are locked into the Apple ecosystem. You certainly aren't going to get any attention from iOS developers, not when there are so many iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, etc. out there to target worldwide. Apple has no reason to partner with any other smartphone platform for any reason.
    Why not? MS is doing it.

Microsoft brings Android, iOS apps to Windows 10 | Ars Technica
    06-11-15 08:00 PM
    That's a massive undertaking, though. And we don't know that it will actually work. The current version of the APIs are extremely limited, from what I hear.

We'll see if MS pulls it off eventually. But for a smaller company like BlackBerry, it may be a little too much to expect.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-11-15 at 09:29 PM.
    06-11-15 08:22 PM
    I think BlackBerry may have a strategy of accessing enterprise related Android Apps through management of apps under BES.

Posted via CB10
    This would be fantastic. Just today I was setting up my BES12 to play with using it for Android tablets and iPads. Most of the apps I added for those can't be added for BB10, because most of those apps aren't even in BB World, and of those that are, most are Android ports that don't work in the Work Space. Currently I install them in my personal space, but it'd be much better and secure if those were in my work space and not the personal space. This would also be fitting with BB's current Enterprise focus. If we are lucky, BB will work out a deal with Google for official Google Play support which could benefit both personal and enterprise BB10 users.

Can they run Swift 2 on a QNX kernel phone ? Apple says that Swift 2 apps will be available to port to Linux. Does not seem likely that BlackBerry will see Swift 2 .
    Absolutely they could. They could start with the Linux version due to the POSIX-compliance. Maybe utilize some of the Cascades UI. Not sure if BB has the manpower to do it though.

While Swift 2 being opened up is very exciting.... we have seen from how Developers ignore BB10, Amazon, even Microsoft that just because creating a apps for more than one platform is possible or even easy, doesn't mean that Developers will do it. Just like HTML5 isn't the solution to "officially" close the App Gap, neither will all these new developer tools (Google also release a number of new tools) that allow them to build one app and then publish it in any format. There has to be a willingness to support the platform to begin with.
    That is the real problem. As easy as it is to port Android apps, we see little to no effort in doing so. Of course, part of that may be because it's not a perfect solution as far as end-user experience. iOS developers are probably a bit more focused on that and so might be willing to put a bit more effort into a port. But then again, for less than 1% marketshare compared to what iOS devices are at? Not likely unfortunately.
    06-11-15 09:07 PM
    I hope they have a better answer to the app gap than completely dropping BlackBerry 10 and switching to Android.

Posted via CB10
    they will. what you mentioned is not an answer at all.
    06-11-15 10:46 PM
    This is a distinct possibility. I would even go further to suggest others entering the mix (Samsung?). The alliance would better serve all parties, more so than any one of them going to bed with Google. They all have something to contribute and gain.

Posted via CB10
    Gosh I would love this. A bunch of interesting folk getting together to beat the big bully.

I want nothing to do with Google. So a Dirty Dozen smartphone would be fun.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 11:16 PM
    via Reuters . . . BlackBerry may put Android system on new device . . . which would mean code name Dallas?

Exclusive: BlackBerry may put Android system on new device: sources | Reuters

Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:51pm EDT

Exclusive: BlackBerry may put Android system on new device: sources

TORONTO | By Euan Rocha

BlackBerry (BB.TO) is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Inc.'s (GOOGL.O) Android software for the first time, an acknowledgement that its revamped line of devices has failed to win mass appeal, according to four sources familiar with the matter.

The move would be an about-face for the Waterloo, Ontario-based company, which had shunned Android in a bet that its BlackBerry 10 line of phones would be able to claw back market share lost to Apple's (AAPL.O) iPhone and a slew of devices powered by Android.

The sources, who asked not to be named as they have not been authorized to discuss the matter publicly, said the move to use Android is part of BlackBerry's strategy to pivot to focus on software and device management. BlackBerry, which once dominated smartphone sales, now has a market share of less than 1 percent.

It is not clear whether a move to use Android would spell the end of the company's BlackBerry 10 line of devices that were initially launched to much fanfare in early 2013. After positive early reviews, the late-to-launch BlackBerry devices haven't competed well with Android or Apple, mainly due to a lack of big name apps.

"We don't comment on rumors and speculation, but we remain committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched," said the company in an email.

A Google spokeswoman declined to comment.

BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen is banking on the company's new device management system, BES12, that allows corporate and government clients to not only manage BlackBerry devices on their internal networks, but also devices powered by Android, Apple's iOS platform and Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Windows operating system.

One of the hurdles it faces in that transformation is convincing big customers that its device management software works across many different platforms.

Two sources said that by launching an Android-based device of its own, BlackBerry would be sending a signal to skeptics that it is confident that the BES12 system can not only manage, but also secure smartphones and tablets powered by rival operating systems.

BlackBerry will probably use Android on an upcoming slider device that is likely to be released this autumn, two sources said. The slider will combine a touch screen with a physical keyboard that users can use if they prefer.

BlackBerry briefly showed off the slider device on stage at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in March, but it has provided little detail on it since then.

By making an Android device that boasts a large touchscreen and a physical keyboard, BlackBerry hopes to snag a niche in the touchscreen-dominated Android market. The device may attract those still using older BlackBerry keyboard handhelds but who want access to the larger app options Android offers.

HARDWARE CONUNDRUM

Two sources said that if BlackBerry moves forward on a plan to launch an Android device, it could come with some of the patented features in its BlackBerry 10 operating system.

In March, BlackBerry announced that it planned to deliver its patented security, productivity and communication tools to any mobile device running iOS, Android or Windows.

The company, which a while ago opened its popular BlackBerry Messaging app to those using rival operating systems, has said it plans to offer more in-house features on rival devices, including BlackBerry Hub and the predictive text capabilities of its virtual keyboard.

Chen in March said the company was still committed to its own devices business.

Since that time however, BlackBerry has cut headcount in its hardware unit even further. The company, which at a 2011 peak employed 17,500 people and in February was down to 6,225, said last month that it was making further cuts on the device side, without providing any numbers.

(Additional reporting by Yasmeen Abutaleb. Editing by Amran Abocar and John Pickering.)
    06-12-15 12:44 AM
    P.S.

Bring-Your-Own-Device trend could spell the end of . . . Wall Street is giving up on the BlackBerry - Business Insider .
    06-12-15 01:12 AM
    This shall likely kill my buy order tomorrow going 100% portfolio in BlackBerry! Will likely act as a catalyst tomorrow. Who didn't see this coming though especially with some of the recent cuts? We'll see tomorrow! Wish this "rumor" waited until later tomorrow! And it is the only logical rumor.

P.S... was hoping for full Google Play Store since BlackBerry announced their end to end Android security. With Google as a partner was hoping they'd modify their TOS rather than BlackBerry having to run Android with a BB10 skin. Will not be purchasing if Android underneath, but will buy all I can if shares dip and touch the high $8s prior to CC. Without a BB10 option, there are better Androids and iOS may be on the table now for their ecosystem even though I despise their overcharging nonsense although it's still working for Apple.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 02:59 AM
    The developer actually has to want to port his iOS or android app to windows. This isn't the same app strategy bb currently employs i.e steal a devs app and run it in a environment
    It wasn't designed for.
    paulwallace1234 and mornhavon like this.
    06-12-15 07:11 AM
    iOS9 runs on top of QNX which does the secure and heavy lifting using Hypervisor. We get iTunes/App Store on BB10 as a result

Apple sues BlackBerry into oblivion. Great strategy.
    06-12-15 07:14 AM
    Apple sues BlackBerry into oblivion. Great strategy
    I meant it like Apple Car Play how it runs on QNX in a sense of Apple and BlackBerry working together. Obviously that's never going to happen.
    06-12-15 07:31 AM
    I hope it's an ios app runtime.

Posted via CB10
    IMHO, I would be surprised if that were to happen with Apple. - especially running a competitor's runtime.
    06-12-15 09:01 AM
    IMHO, I would be surprised if that were to happen with Apple. - especially running a competitor's runtime.
    Yeah the Android Runtime didn't work and that is a more open crowd...

An iOS runtime would never work.... as I doubt iOS developers would even think about porting their apps so BlackBerry users could access them. And as smart as Cobalt is, I doubt he'd have a working App Store that stayed accessible for very long.
    06-12-15 10:14 AM
    I think the idea of getting Google Play on handsets is kind-of impossible and also not "interesting" enough. I'm thinking that BES will have some way to run Android and possibly even iOS apps on the BES server, and devices will access them like a terminal: the UX will be streamed to the handset but the app doesn't run on the Handset: this lets BB do a lot on the server that isn't deployed to handsets.

The very idea sounds like the performance will be crap, and terrible for multimedia apps, but for corporate apps it might mean that BB10 devices can have access to iOS and Android and WP apps all running in sandboxes on the server, just streaming their UX to handsets. If you can run an iOS simulator on the server, couldn't they just stream what would be displayed in the simulator window onto BB10 handsets?
    06-12-15 10:27 AM
    [thinking out loud, 2 cents value]
    Where is the app problem today (for consumers, as I read OP) ?
    It's all over these pages : Google Services.

What's the alternative to those services ? MSFT ones.
    Who partnered with Samsung to integrate "Services" (must be read as "apps", in reality) ? MSFT
    Who's got a strong enough position (and cash: see how many $millions they spend to make developers port their apps to Tyzen - with no luck, as of date) to make developers rally on another Android based services alternative ? Samsung
    Q: if ever (remember, that's fictional), will MS lock these services or grant acces against a "license" fee to - say - Google competitors ?

All above, 100% speculative, of course.
    Edit: just realized posting this that no one mentionned Tyzen as another "runtime" option ... (scratching my head) lol It's so funny to rave fiction ...
    06-12-15 11:23 AM
    An AndroBerry? Or a BerryDroid?

Posted via CB10
    Blandroberoid

Great Krypton! This Passport is super!
    06-12-15 11:28 AM
    I buy the ***** BB cos it doesn't have that Google Virus. If BB is going Android, then I might start doing android too but sure as hell not on a BB ever again, maybe HTC.
    Never an iPhone

[BB should encourage extensions in their stock browser and flash. Instead, they became Android and market ***** and removed the flash. For those useful idiots who say "flash wasn't going to be supported which leaves us vulnerable" -> The users would have option to enable and disable flash as they deem fit on different websites]
    06-12-15 11:37 AM
    [thinking out loud, 2 cents value]
    Where is the app problem today (for consumers, as I read OP) ?
    It's all over these pages : Google Services.

What's the alternative to those services ? MSFT ones.
    Who partnered with Samsung to integrate "Services" (must be read as "apps", in reality) ? MSFT
    Who's got a strong enough position (and cash: see how many $millions they spend to make developers port their apps to Tyzen - with no luck, as of date) to make developers rally on another Android based services alternative ? Samsung
    Q: if ever (remember, that's fictional), will MS lock these services or grant acces against a "license" fee to - say - Google competitors ?

All above, 100% speculative, of course.
    Edit: just realized posting this that no one mentionned Tyzen as another "runtime" option ... (scratching my head) lol It's so funny to rave fiction ...
    You understood it wrong. People mention Google play services, which includes the app store itself. Actually the most valuable part from these services is the store itself. Google doesn't prevent anyone from installing competitor services (see Samsung with microsoft apps) as long as their own are there as well.

Microsoft has very good services as well, some actualy better than google, but they don't have the crown jewel, the huge app store. And it is this app store that lets google "control" OEMs. And so far nobody has managed to build a successful Android device in the west without Google play services.
    mornhavon and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-12-15 02:53 PM
    Seems you omit that Samsung has its own app store ... but I can get your point though
    06-15-15 06:22 AM
    The only problem with that though is that iOS apps are not as easily obtained outside of the app store as android apk's. The main source would be homebrew apps from Cydia.
    While this is certainly a problem it can mostly be overcome if the dev's themselves submit the apps to BlackBerry without the need for any changes. Some Dev's will balk anyhow since they don't want to support new form factors but others will agree because they suddenly become a very big fish in a pretty small pond which could be a reasonable bump in sales. At least according to my rose coloured glasses..

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 06:41 AM
102 12345