06-23-15 07:32 AM
102 1234 ...
tools
    I think BlackBerry may have a strategy of accessing enterprise related Android Apps through management of apps under BES.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 01:32 AM
    its funny reading thru those comments, thx
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-11-15 05:17 AM
    I read an interesting article on line yesterday about apple soon might not be locked down and may be making things available to other platforms in the future. When you stop and think about QNX being utilized by apple and android in car systems it seems that this could very well be possible. Maybe we are not right around the corner about seeing this happen but there are some interesting articles out there.

Chen might be a lot smarter then some people are giving him credit for. After all, he is all about software

That's probably because of the release of their music service on Android devices. Though I very much doubt apple would open up their app ecosystem, their main advantage over the others. Apple has been doing open source for years such as Darwin but they most likely won't give out their biggest selling points.
    06-11-15 05:32 AM
    Qt 5.x based SDK (similar to Cascades), but cross platform. Makes sense what chen was saying about all apps being cross platform

or I'm just dreaming
    Allanon89 likes this.
    06-11-15 05:34 AM
    google play services?
    PolarSea likes this.
    06-11-15 06:17 AM
    The only problem with blackberry migrating to android is that it will not necessarily mean they'll start making big money on handsets so what's the point? I could see delivering a keyboard with android but anything else would directly compete with Samsung, htc, lg exc, and we all know these companies are struggling returning a profit on devices besides Samsung
    sk8er_tor and Allanon89 like this.
    06-11-15 06:29 AM
    That is the best use of their limited resources.
    Further software development on BB10 at this point will really yielding limited benefit. Developers have fled the platform and it is just a dead-end for BBRY. Moving forward, BBRY needs to invest in securing Android and focused on the niche security-aware, enterprise market for their handset. Platform agnostic EMM and software service are now what the company should be known for.
    Problem is that you cannot secure Android. You would have to rewrite it from the ground up and change functionality that would go against Google's wishes.
    06-11-15 06:38 AM
    In my opinion Chen is aiming at iOS Developers somehow.

I suppose something like a runtime or conversion kit for iPhone' s apps, thank to the power of nowaday processors that are making this possible...

This is the same strategy that Windows is following.... and makes sense with app neutrality that Chen is pursuing ...
    Allanon89 likes this.
    06-11-15 06:51 AM
    P1ss off developers, tell them to do Android, watch BB10 OS die, sell BlackBerry experience on other phones. That is the strategy.

Posted via Z30
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    06-11-15 07:41 AM
    iOS9 runs on top of QNX which does the secure and heavy lifting using Hypervisor. We get iTunes/App Store on BB10 as a result
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-11-15 07:54 AM
    There are 3 things that may happen.

1. BlackBerry goes Android completely. Those buying BlackBerry devices may get the entire enterprise suite of apps for android free so that we have the goodness of apps plus the hub and other features.

2. MS, Cyanogen, Amazon, BlackBerry and Samsung all are onto something. Maybe a partnership which sees all Google things replaced by MS services.

3. BlackBerry continue to update the run time and somehow cut a deal with Google for Google services.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and Avenzuno like this.
    06-11-15 08:38 AM
    4. BB buys google.
    Witmen, gebco, Superfly_FR and 2 others like this.
    06-11-15 09:56 AM
    Not another one of these threads. It really isn't rocket science. More Android App capabilities to be run on a blackberry 10 platform. If people want them, well then give it too them. Further, just because you can run Android Apps doesn't mean it is an Android phone. Does running excel or word on a Mac, make it a PC. No, end of story. Come on people, move on.
    06-11-15 11:12 AM
    4. BB buys google.
    LOL

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 11:24 AM
    That would be friggin' awesome
    06-11-15 11:30 AM
    Can they run Swift 2 on a QNX kernel phone ? Apple says that Swift 2 apps will be available to port to Linux. Does not seem likely that BlackBerry will see Swift 2 .
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-11-15 11:35 AM
    Let see it Chen! All show and no go so far. Will this be any different?

Via my HTC One M9...
    06-11-15 11:38 AM
    Universal Apps.

Completely deep left field speculation. Several major brands (app stores) will offer Universal App stores making the hardware/os moot. Kind of follows Chen's comments on OS agnostic apps.

Go big or go home.
    06-11-15 12:19 PM
    Dropping OS10 without sale, would be bad move and shareholders could sue BlackBerry for that. The cost of developing fully functional, modern mobile OS is in billions. Truth is, there are buyers, for which secure mobile OS is highly desirable (cough Russia, cough China) and probably can pay premium to obtain it. This however will be blocked by US. But, in such case uncle Sam should compensate BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    Why would uncle sam care?

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-11-15 12:25 PM
    Would be really cool though if BlackBerry 10 eventually become the only OS that has BOTH iOS and Android players. So, doesn't matter what the app is, just STICK IT IN.
    06-11-15 12:33 PM
    If BlackBerry has anything more than the simple android runtime it has currently ill stop buying their devices. I purchase so I can use the BlackBerry OS. Not to have a half android half BlackBerry. Otherwise I would purchase a Android device.

Hope BlackBerry stays BlackBerry and keeps android away besides the runtime.

Note, I haven't actually read the artical but this is the vibe I'm getting from some comments.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    Allanon89 likes this.
    06-11-15 12:43 PM
    There's no chance of getting iOS apps. The developers and the apps are locked into the Apple ecosystem. You certainly aren't going to get any attention from iOS developers, not when there are so many iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, etc. out there to target worldwide. Apple has no reason to partner with any other smartphone platform for any reason.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-11-15 12:45 PM
    There's no chance of getting iOS apps. The developers and the apps are locked into the Apple ecosystem. You certainly aren't going to get any attention from iOS developers, not when there are so many iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, etc. out there to target worldwide. Apple has no reason to partner with any other smartphone platform for any reason.
    Apple is going to make Swift 2 open source for Linux. In the news.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 12:54 PM
    New strategy sounds good but feels more like a "BlackBerry Jam Session" WOO HOO
    06-11-15 01:02 PM
    Apple is going to make Swift 2 open source for Linux. In the news.

Posted via CB10
    While Swift 2 being opened up is very exciting.... we have seen from how Developers ignore BB10, Amazon, even Microsoft that just because creating a apps for more than one platform is possible or even easy, doesn't mean that Developers will do it. Just like HTML5 isn't the solution to "officially" close the App Gap, neither will all these new developer tools (Google also release a number of new tools) that allow them to build one app and then publish it in any format. There has to be a willingness to support the platform to begin with.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    06-11-15 01:35 PM
102 1234 ...