06-05-15 11:03 AM
72 123
tools
    One sided?! BlackBerry needs the carriers 10x more than the carriers need BlackBerry. Good luck with that negotiation. Samsung couldn't do it either and its situation is almost reversed.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Yes one sided. It's not always about need. And companies must,stand up for themselves even small ones and those with small market share. By giving carriers all opportunities to stop the advancement of OS BlackBerry allows itself to be shut out. But by limiting the amount time a carrier has to push through an update after its release means that must do its due diligence in supporting a product it has signed on to sell. This is no difference than in the rest of retail. Companies pay huge amounts of money for space in warehouses, distribution centers and retail stores. But in exchange for that money, the company is expecting the retailer to put some skin in the game in support of the product. If that doesn't happen the product company may well ask for compensation from the retailer.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 04:38 PM
    Yes one sided. It's not always about need. And companies must,stand up for themselves even small ones and those with small market share. By giving carriers all opportunities to stop the advancement of OS BlackBerry allows itself to be shut out. But by limiting the amount time a carrier has to push through an update after its release means that must do its due diligence in supporting a product it has signed on to sell. This is no difference than in the rest of retail. Companies pay huge amounts of money for space in warehouses, distribution centers and retail stores. But in exchange for that money, the company is expecting the retailer to put some skin in the game in support of the product. If that doesn't happen the product company may well ask for compensation from the retailer.

Posted via CB10
    Omg. I've now heard everything. Good luck with your future in corporate negotiations.

No carrier in the world (except Apple - and there are well documented reasons for that) has been able to do what you suggest.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Last edited by conite; 05-28-15 at 06:01 PM.
    05-28-15 04:45 PM
    BlackBerry is in no position to strongarm anyone in the mobile industry in its current state. Worst comes to worst, 10.3.1 causes tons of problems on carrier network after being force pushed directly, the carriers can sue BlackBerry for breach of contract or completely re-evaluate their existing business relationships with BlackBerry. If that happens, BlackBerry the company will be gone. Very quickly. Sucks to be in the position of BlackBerry right now, but that is the way it is.
    No one is talking about strong arming anyone. But rather change its position. I think everyone can agree that the way carriers handle blackberry updates is hurting blackberry significantly. Something has to give and so far, it's only been blackberry. As I mentioned before, focus on Verizon first. Verizon still needs blackberry since Verizon has thousands of US commercial accounts that depend on blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 07:33 PM
    I feel it's wrong to not let people have the latest updates. It's not only providing new features but also providing enhancements to security. Let's hope soon all is fixed
    That's probably why the NSA won't let the US carriers release anything new...
    05-28-15 08:28 PM
    No one is talking about strong arming anyone. But rather change its position. I think everyone can agree that the way carriers handle blackberry updates is hurting blackberry significantly. Something has to give and so far, it's only been blackberry. As I mentioned before, focus on Verizon first. Verizon still needs blackberry since Verizon has thousands of US commercial accounts that depend on blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure BlackBerry would love to "change its position".

But it's a position that carriers don't want to change, and BlackBerry can't do anything about it if they want to maintain the carrier as first line of support.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 09:05 AM
    Been "watching" for 3 days now Mr. Chen... what's up?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 12:55 PM
    I'm not convinced that's really John Chen behind that twitter account. How many CEO's of this size company tweet on twitter?

Passport & Z30 & Q10 just b/c I do.
    Can't imagine life without Blackberry
    05-29-15 10:17 PM
    I'm not convinced that's really John Chen behind that twitter account. How many CEO's of this size company tweet on twitter? ]
    I googled his name and the pictures match.
    05-29-15 11:24 PM
    I'm not convinced that's really John Chen behind that twitter account. How many CEO's of this size company tweet on twitter?

Nah if you read his tweets they really do sound like him, like the way he speaks. Also the emojis really give him away as a Californian.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 12:31 AM
    Nah if you read his tweets they really do sound like him, like the way he speaks. Also the emojis really give him away as a Californian.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I'm sure he uses emojis :|

05-30-15 08:40 PM
    Yeah I'm sure he uses emojis :|
    He uses emojis like a BOSS... and a Californian!?!!!
    06-02-15 10:13 PM
    Funny how everyone else are getting the 10.3.2 OS while some US carriers haven't yet released the 10.3.1 OS
    06-03-15 12:51 AM
    Funny how everyone else are getting the 10.3.2 OS while some US carriers haven't yet released the 10.3.1 OS
    I don't find it funny since many improvements came in 10.3.1 so it impacts what people feel is the quality of the device. But that's just my opinion...
    06-03-15 01:10 AM
    They'll be going straight to 10.3.2

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-03-15 02:19 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Believe that when I see it. I am on Z30STA100-3/10.3.2.680 because I am here. Official Verizon is on 10.2.1. Big gap.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 02:50 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Concur. 10.3.2 completes the BB10 feature set to comply with the California 'kill switch' law on device security mandated by July 1st and US carriers knew it was coming down the pike soon so why go thru all the work and potential customer support issues for an incremental update for what is to them is a low volume/low profit line of business. Side benefit, 10.3.2 will come to US BB10 users faster than any other update in recent memory from announcement to OTA.
    06-03-15 04:20 AM
    I don't find it funny since many improvements came in 10.3.1 so it impacts what people feel is the quality of the device. But that's just my opinion...
    I think they'll be happy that it's going straight to 10.3.2. I don't know about others but my Z10 on 10.3.2 is running smoother than it ever did on 10.3.1.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 11:46 AM
    Yes blackberry is small and only getting smaller but blackberry knows Verizon has tons of commercial accounts using BlackBerry still.
    Do you have any real data on this or are you assuming Verizon has "tons of commercial accounts using BlackBerry?"

Why not force the issue of giving Verizon x amount of months for approval like I mentioned on my last post.
    And what should BlackBerry's response be if Verizon says no?
    06-03-15 12:27 PM
    According to Verizon, it's actually Blackberry who is in charge of sending out its own updates. It's true that Verizon acts as a set of secondary eyes to make sure things will go smoothly, but it's Blackberry who pulls the trigger

Posted via CB10
    It's Verizon who gets the os, bloats it with their apps and that, then sends it out, all providers do this, not blackberry. They are not the ones who put the company brandings before sending it out. That's why it takes longer.
    06-03-15 12:39 PM
    It's Verizon who gets the os, bloats it with their apps and that, then sends it out, all providers do this, not blackberry. They are not the ones who put the company brandings before sending it out. That's why it takes longer.
    Right... so it should take the same amount of time as the Canadian carriers.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-03-15 12:43 PM
    It's also Verizon that has to deal with customer that have problems with OTA updates.... Verizon and AT&T are BIG companies with LOTS of users. They have to look at the cost to the company for pushing out an update, as they are the front line when it comes to any problems.

And sadly everything comes down to the bottom line - of what benefit to Verizon is there in pushing out this update? It's not like they push out every Android Update they might receive from some OEM to update their 2-Year old devices.

Sadly the answer is to renegotiate their deals with carriers... but that would also require BlackBerry to take on more of the support role. Something they did very well for the PlayBook.... (had two replaced due to USB port issues)
    06-03-15 03:16 PM
    Verizon still needs blackberry since Verizon has thousands of US commercial accounts that depend on blackberry.
    But why do you think that John Chen and BlackBerry can just unilaterally change existing contracts without any pushback from Verizon? BlackBerry can't even get out of it's rotten distribution contracts and you think they can win a fight with the largest and most important carrier?
    06-05-15 11:03 AM
72 123