01-12-15 07:52 AM
51 123
tools
    BlackBerry probably realised it's hard to protect a cloud service since they bought one and later sold it off.

Protecting the traffic is one thing, protecting the stored data its another.
    01-09-15 07:10 AM
    Probably the first thing Chen has said that I disagree with. He shouldn't have said anything along those lines if he can't elaborate on the attack. Especially with media the way it is these days.. all it takes is one stray email nudie selfie of someone holding a BlackBerry and all of it a sudden it's no longer an 'email' hack, it's a BlackBerry hack. Smart people will know the difference but let's be realistic, the masses can't tell the difference and accept what they're told.

Just like when it happened, and there was many people saying if it was BlackBerry it wouldn't have happened, which is kind of right, simply based on the argument that BlackBerry doesn't offer anything like iCloud to be attacked. So if I take nudies and upload em to Dropbox from my BlackBerry and those pics get out. Is that a BlackBerry hack or a Dropbox hack? The point of entry argument. Rhetorical question BTW, smart folks know that's on Dropbox but you know it would be twisted.

Ya, really wish he didn't say that lol. It's a messy, convoluted can of worms.
    Talk about inviting someone to take a stab at it. Taught the security, work on the security, but don't dare folks.
    01-09-15 07:19 AM
    In Chen's defense,

he did clearly state that "it's a cat and mouse game", and they clearly chose to enter that game.
    01-09-15 07:26 AM
    You're missing the point.
    Obviously, you're the one missing the point:
    I have to say... it's a bit of a foolish statement. Even if you are referring to a specific type of attack or event you shouldn't suggest that anything is impenetrable. At least not someone in Mr. Chens position.
    Well the attack was not really social engineering.. it was a brute force which iCloud allowed [but have now fixed]. So yes technically it would not have happened on a BB systems but it could have happen if it was on Box or dropbox etc that a BB10 phone synced to.
    01-09-15 12:36 PM
    Being that BlackBerry doesn't have a iCloud service... not sure I would have wanted to say too much about this.

Keep hoping that they'll expand BlackBerry Protect to included some type of "Cloud" services. BlackBerry currently relies WAY TOO MUCH on users having access to a PC to take care of a number of tasks that Apple and Google users can do via their Cloud Services. Think there are a larger and larger number of smartphone users that don't have access to a Personal Computer all the time.

Do like how he referred to past administration at BlackBerry...
    01-09-15 12:39 PM
    He's ego is getting the best of him.

BlackBerry hates America!
    So true. And becoming more and more clear on several fronts... to BBRY's detriment.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 12:45 PM
    Actually, if anyone watched the interview, he does express legitimate concern that:
    1. He is sticking his neck out there.
    2. This is a cat-and-mouse game with the attackers.

I agree that he should not have said it would be impossible, but should have said that an attack on BB would have been harder - which is true, given that iCloud's lack of rate limiting was a remarkably stupid way to implement password-based authentication.
    01-09-15 12:53 PM
    It just shows that he has conference in BlackBerry and is willing to stick his neck out a little bit. So go ahead put up or shut up. Prove him wrong.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 01:10 PM
    After watching the interview in full, I would have to say that his comments were very reasonable. He knows that security is something BlackBerry is staking its reputation on and it's not something they take for granted, i.e. "cat and mouse game".
    01-09-15 01:24 PM
    It just shows that he has conference in BlackBerry and is willing to stick his neck out a little bit. So go ahead put up or shut up. Prove him wrong.

Posted via CB10
    In his position... he has to prove he is right, otherwise everyone just smiles and walks away.

One thing I really didn't like was he talked about how secure BlackBerry was an listed off a number of heads of state.... but how many of them are using a STOCK BlackBerry? That is like Google saying that Android is secure and only listing KNOX installations.

A BlackBerry PAIRED with BES is very secure if you have an IT Department that really secures the device and forces people to adhere to their requirements via Policies that are locked into the device. But the average user... not sure I would want to stick my neck out there on that one either.
    01-09-15 01:48 PM
    Probably the first thing Chen has said that I disagree with. He shouldn't have said anything along those lines if he can't elaborate on the attack. Especially with media the way it is these days.. all it takes is one stray email nudie selfie of someone holding a BlackBerry and all of it a sudden it's no longer an 'email' hack, it's a BlackBerry hack. Smart people will know the difference but let's be realistic, the masses can't tell the difference and accept what they're told.

Just like when it happened, and there was many people saying if it was BlackBerry it wouldn't have happened, which is kind of right, simply based on the argument that BlackBerry doesn't offer anything like iCloud to be attacked. So if I take nudies and upload em to Dropbox from my BlackBerry and those pics get out. Is that a BlackBerry hack or a Dropbox hack? The point of entry argument. Rhetorical question BTW, smart folks know that's on Dropbox but you know it would be twisted.

Ya, really wish he didn't say that lol. It's a messy, convoluted can of worms.
    Meh, no press is bad press. People would say those things anyway (re: Kardashian photos!) I'm glad he took a swing at Apple, logical or not it's good marketing.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and thymaster like this.
    01-09-15 02:00 PM
    So basically it's a bad interview because people are easily misled my his point and go off the rails?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 02:11 PM
    So basically it's a bad interview because people are easily misled my his point and go off the rails?

Posted via CB10
    It's bad, because he is being misleading.

Most likely nothing will come of it. but if anyone want to "fact check" him....
    01-09-15 02:29 PM
    It's bad, because he is being misleading.

Most likely nothing will come of it. but if anyone want to "fact check" him....
    I was thinking that he meant if icloud was under the full protection of BES that this would not of happened. Technically correct because brute force hacks would not work which is what happened for many people on the icloud hacks.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 02:38 PM
    I was thinking that he meant if icloud was under the full protection of BES that this would not of happened. Technically correct because brute force hacks would not work which is what happened for many people on the icloud hacks.
    Added to that would be:

1. Switching on password protect also turns on limited 10 password entries before the device wipes itself.
    2. Data can be encrypted on the device with a simple setting.
    3. Data isn't advertised as easily backed up into the cloud, making it a feature that users turn on or is on by default.
    Dave Bourque and clickitykeys like this.
    01-09-15 02:56 PM

Posted via CB10

The only way BlackBerry is safer is that they don't offer Cloud Service or a way to access those Cloud stored photos from a standard internet connection.

If a celebrity wanted a BlackBerry today and they wanted to "backup" pictures... how would they do it?? They would have to use a 3rd Party App as BlackBerry doesn't have that capability - with or without BES. So if they chose OneDrive or DropBox... and the hackers employed the same "social engineering" hacks, they would get the same access. In other words, BlackBerry has no special ability to be any safer in this case then any other platform.

You can't say you do something better, when you don't even have that feature to begin with.

Now as cbvinh indicates... If this were a case of the device being stolen, then yes a BlackBerry could be much more secure IF it is setup and used correctly. But that isn't what happened in the case that was discussed.
    Maxxxpower and allengeorge like this.
    01-09-15 03:19 PM
    Whats all the argument? John Chen said he was fully aware that hackers may take up the challenge but it is risk that BlackBerry is willing to take in order to sell BlackBerry's "security" advantage over the competitions. NO GUTS NO GLORY

Personally, I like his spunk for blowing the trumpet.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    01-09-15 05:37 PM
    You guys are too scared of being caught saying things shouldn't get said.... you guys also have a pretty specific image of how to be a leader --- the careful ones ... the fact is, there are also brave ones, bold ones, fearless ones, the ones got balls, the ones are funny and got balls. The careful ones, like Jim & Mike, or like Thor, did not work, led BlackBerry to ground. The fearless ones, like Steven Jobs, criticized Adobe, said 7 inch tablet was a joke, and refused to get big screens, were doing all right.

I think Chen said what those careful ones couldn't say, and I think he will be doing fine.
    imz, thymaster and neoberry99 like this.
    01-09-15 06:14 PM
    At least one or two of the celeb photos was taken using a BlackBerry. I noticed it in my careful examination when I saw them by accident.

My guess is they had migrated to an iPhone at some point.

I'm actually surprised I haven't gotten more people asking me about BlackBerry security since the iCloud hack.
    01-10-15 04:08 AM
    It's a two-edged sword,
    but I found his comments rather reasonable...

He was talking about the BlackBerry network, and the NOC hasn't been hacked afaik... :-)

  A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...  
    thymaster likes this.
    01-10-15 05:02 AM
    For those saying device wipes on the 10th password attempt... that option is available on iOS as well (just not as default).

Posted via CB10
    mmcfly23 likes this.
    01-10-15 06:52 AM
    If you build your business on security maybe you have to say this. Say it, take the risk BUT be prepared! He must be very sure that his product can deliver what he promises. I dont think that many celebs know that BB can offer more security than other manufacturers because of its infrastructure, knowledge, etc.
    Unhackable? I don't think so. Harder to hack than other phones? maybe. if used the right way. but celebs have enough money to host an own BES and hire someone to manage it.
    01-10-15 10:18 AM
    Yes. I know what he's attempting to say but that's not the point. With thinking like that he might have as well said 'No, because we don't have iCloud' lol. I know no one can break into my safe either.. why? Because I don't have one. It was a terrible interview and the underlying message was conveyed equally as terrible.
    I agree Blaze. He should have not said anything or should have been more specific. If you don't have a cloud in the first place you can't hack it. If he was trying to say all points of entry into BlackBerry have password retry lockouts that might have at least been more accurate.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 02:17 PM
    Of course it wouldn't. They don't have a generalized cloud key-value storage system
    01-10-15 02:43 PM
    The only way BlackBerry is safer is that they don't offer Cloud Service or a way to access those Cloud stored photos from a standard internet connection.

If a celebrity wanted a BlackBerry today and they wanted to "backup" pictures... how would they do it?? They would have to use a 3rd Party App as BlackBerry doesn't have that capability - with or without BES. So if they chose OneDrive or DropBox... and the hackers employed the same "social engineering" hacks, they would get the same access. In other words, BlackBerry has no special ability to be any safer in this case then any other platform.

You can't say you do something better, when you don't even have that feature to begin with.

Now as cbvinh indicates... If this were a case of the device being stolen, then yes a BlackBerry could be much more secure IF it is setup and used correctly. But that isn't what happened in the case that was discussed.
    Or they could just back up on an SD card. Then they would just have to worry about making sure nobody gets their hands on the card. They could also use USB host to back up on a flash drive or external drive. They certainty wouldn't "have" to use any third party app unless being kind of dumb while backing up their photos was a must for them. Putting lewd photos in the hands of another company and their servers is always a bad idea. In fact putting anything of importance on their servers is kind of dumb. Apple just made a big mistake allowing unlimited password attempts and what he could have said is that no other company would have made that same mistake.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 06:32 AM
51 123