10-27-14 08:26 PM
57 123
tools
    Guys, the Passport is not selling well. Look at Chen's statement that was at N4BB: John Chen is Glad You Can't Buy the BlackBerry Passport | N4BB

"We took a very conservative approach and didn't order too many."

That's why they sold out--low inventories, not high demand. Why he would admit this is unknown, but he's probably the only person that the BlackBerry faithful would believe, so it's good he did.

The good news is that a second production run will likely overshoot demand, meaning discounted Passports are on the way in the future!

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1418 / T-Mobile USA
    What is too many? 200K, 250K, 500K? a million? So what was too many? Did he say? No.
    10-18-14 05:12 PM
    I heard Foxconn wasn't building the passport. I had thought that using Foxconn was to avoid the inventory risk.. If Foxconn could produce the Z3, that sells for 200, then I would guess that the passport would have some room for the higher margin, but yet again the water gets murky.
    They better get their **** together.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry was only going to use Foxconn for lower end models. You can also avoid inventory risks by not over producing like they did with the Passport.
    10-18-14 05:15 PM
    I think manufacturers should just stop supporting cdma and force carriers to go gsm...

Posted via CB10
    Both GSM and CDMA are dead. They are 2G technologies that are being phased out. -.-
    10-18-14 05:18 PM
    What is too many? 200K, 250K, 500K? a million? So what was too many? Did he say? No.
    Since Chen was responding to the fact that they were out of stock after around 200,000 phones, the production run was probably in that area.

There's no way Chen had 500,000 or 1,000,000,000 Passport phones and refused to sell more than 200K of them and turned customers away! Get real!

Sold out conditions of Passport are due to low supply, not high demand.

leejayh and KingOfQwerty like this.
    10-18-14 06:15 PM
    Since Chen was responding to the fact that they were out of stock after around 200,000 phones, the production run was probably in that area.

There's no way Chen had 500,000 or 1,000,000,000 Passport phones and refused to sell more than 200K of them and turned customers away! Get real!

Sold out conditions of Passport are due to low supply, not high demand.

The 200K was through the Blackberry Store and Amazon. That doesn't could carrier sales worldwide.
    10-18-14 06:40 PM
    The 200K was through the Blackberry Store and Amazon. That doesn't could carrier sales worldwide.
    That's not what Chen said in the CNET interview. His 200K estimate was for all Passports.

10-18-14 09:54 PM
    That's not what Chen said in the CNET interview. His 200K estimate was for all Passports.

From the article by the OP

The Passport pre-sold 200,000 units in the first two days, selling out in six hours on BlackBerry’s website and within 10 hours on Amazon.com.
    From your article on CNET.
    The unusually shaped smartphone garnered 200,000 orders since its launch on Wednesday, according to CEO John Chen. The smartphone sold out in six hours on its own website, and sold out in 10 hours on Amazon, he said.
    Please show us where he said that 200K was the total produced. Since I saw stock at FutureShop. It was released in other countries, etc..
    CecilTsunami and spikesolie like this.
    10-18-14 10:43 PM
    Indeed, the 200k number was just for pre-orders on ShopBB and Amazon. They obviously didn't include any additional sales. Also keep in mind those pre-orders weren't available in all countries. For example here in Germany some few shops got some small shipments and sold them immediatly after that 200k word spread out. So those sales aren't even included there, even Amazon got a (rather *cough*) large shipment after those numbers has been stated. They were sold out within not even two days.
    Demand is there, even though nobody can say directly how much of a demand that is. Yet so many forums members, blog readers and so on stated they are waiting to recieve their unit, but the unavailable stock is the only problem.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    10-19-14 03:06 AM
    Both GSM and CDMA are dead. They are 2G technologies that are being phased out. -.-
    Wrong, LTE is GSM.
    10-19-14 04:35 AM
    Chen is the one who admitted that BlackBerry "didn't order too many" Passport phones in the first place.

Then, shortly after stating that 200K orders for the phone had been reached, the device has widespread reports of being sold out. Given these two facts, it's pretty clear that the first production run was about 200,000 or so. Maybe 250,000, with some devices going to carriers.

Chen also admitted that the small production run was deliberate when he explains that it was because BlackBerry was "being conservative."

So, yeah, the record is pretty clear that the sold out Passport conditions are due to a DELIBERATELY SMALL production run, per BlackBerry's CEO, John Chen.

We don't have precise carrier breakdown of sales numbers because Chen hasn't given us any, but I doubt they make a major difference and we're talking more production than sales anyway.

But, to end on a high note, the upside is that if a second production run is undertaken, the overstock will make for heavily discounted Passports in the future. Carrier overstock is how I got my Z10 so cheap! General overstock got me my Z30 cheap, too!

crackberry_geek likes this.
    10-19-14 01:07 PM
    Chen is the one who admitted that BlackBerry "didn't order too many" Passport phones in the first place.

Then, shortly after stating that 200K orders for the phone had been reached, the device has widespread reports of being sold out. Given these two facts, it's pretty clear that the first production run was about 200,000 or so. Maybe 250,000, with some devices going to carriers.

Chen also admitted that the small production run was deliberate when he explains that it was because BlackBerry was "being conservative."

So, yeah, the record is pretty clear that the sold out Passport conditions are due to a DELIBERATELY SMALL production run, per BlackBerry's CEO, John Chen.

We don't have precise carrier breakdown of sales numbers because Chen hasn't given us any, but I doubt they make a major difference and we're talking more production than sales anyway.

But, to end on a high note, the upside is that if a second production run is undertaken, the overstock will make for heavily discounted Passports in the future. Carrier overstock is how I got my Z10 so cheap! General overstock got me my Z30 cheap, too!

They will handle the second batch and following batches very conservatively as well and keep tight control on demand and supply. You won't get another Z10 super-duper discount. Not gonna happen. BlackBerry has wisened up.

:-)

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    10-19-14 03:00 PM

"didn't order too many"
    isn't a fact. What is too many? You are making a guess from two statements and calling them facts. But who ever cared about facts on a forum. The facts is that there is no facts about production numbers. Everyone is guessing.

And smaller production runs will prevent overstock. If Blackberry only created 250K like you say in your "facts", then what makes you think that they will start making production runs of 2, 3, or 4 times as many phones as the first. They have learned their lesson on the Z10. And there were no Z30 production numbers either so you don't know there was overstock. You play pretty fast and lose with facts.
    10-19-14 03:43 PM
    isn't a fact. What is too many? You are making a guess from two statements and calling them facts. But who ever cared about facts on a forum. The facts is that there is no facts about production numbers. Everyone is guessing.

And smaller production runs will prevent overstock. If Blackberry only created 250K like you say in your "facts", then what makes you think that they will start making production runs of 2, 3, or 4 times as many phones as the first. They have learned their lesson on the Z10. And there were no Z30 production numbers either so you don't know there was overstock. You play pretty fast and lose with facts.
    They ARE facts. The "didn't order too many" is a direct quote from BlackBerry's CEO John Chen! That's a FACT.

The quote about BlackBerry's being "conservative" when making the initial Passport order (where they "didn't order too many") is also a direct quote from BlackBerry's CEO and is also a FACT.

I'm not playing fast or loose with the facts.

Using those facts, we can deduce about how big that initial order of Passport was, because BlackBerry started announcing sold out conditions shortly after announcing the 200K Passports were ordered. And remember, carrier-ordered Passports are part of the total number ordered from BlackBerry, because BlackBerry's the only company in the world that can legally produce Passport phones and fill Passport phone orders.

The idea that Chen initially ordered a far greater number of Passports, but turned away would-be customers after selling only 200K of them is complete non-sense. BlackBerry needs both sales and money, if you haven't heard.

Why would Chen stop selling at around 200K sold if he had more Passports to sell?

As for the Passport going overstock, I paid 70% off for the Z10 and 50+% off for the Z30--all due to overstocking (more supply than demand drives price down). The Passport will be no different. In fact, I'd predict a faster price decline for Passport. Small demand numbers makes for production runs almost assured to overstock. Personally, I'm unlikely to buy a keyboard phone at any price, but for those who want a Passport and are willing to wait, they will likely receive substantial discounts in the future.

dolco likes this.
    10-19-14 05:43 PM
    First off, the 200k sold was PO's received as of launch day morning, not what was sold on Shop BlackBerry and Amazon. Second off, the fact that they are sold out on a deliberately low production run shows that there was/is more demand than anticipated for this device so you cannot take this as a negative. As for availability, they have channel commitments to adhere to. Just because they are having stock issues in some places, doesn't mean they can just tell their other vendors to wait beyond the agreed upon date while others get filled. Rest assured that they are not going to produce a ridiculous number of phones based on the first 3 weeks of sales. They are being conservative with their hardware expectations and will not run into an overstock situation with this.
    10-19-14 06:09 PM
    They ARE facts. The "didn't order too many" is a direct quote from BlackBerry's CEO John Chen! That's a FACT.

The quote about BlackBerry's being "conservative" when making the initial Passport order (where they "didn't order too many") is also a direct quote from BlackBerry's CEO and is also a FACT.

I'm not playing fast or loose with the facts.

Using those facts, we can deduce about how big that initial order of Passport was, because BlackBerry started announcing sold out conditions shortly after announcing the 200K Passports were ordered. And remember, carrier-ordered Passports are part of the total number ordered from BlackBerry, because BlackBerry's the only company in the world that can legally produce Passport phones and fill Passport phone orders.

The idea that Chen initially ordered a far greater number of Passports, but turned away would-be customers after selling only 200K of them is complete non-sense. BlackBerry needs both sales and money, if you haven't heard.

Why would Chen stop selling at around 200K sold if he had more Passports to sell?

As for the Passport going overstock, I paid 70% off for the Z10 and 50+% off for the Z30--all due to overstocking (more supply than demand drives price down). The Passport will be no different. In fact, I'd predict a faster price decline for Passport. Small demand numbers makes for production runs almost assured to overstock. Personally, I'm unlikely to buy a keyboard phone at any price, but for those who want a Passport and are willing to wait, they will likely receive substantial discounts in the future.

WOW. You really don't know what a fact is. And your are guessing about productions from your "facts" that have no numbers (ie you are guessing). So you are guessing using guesses about production. And you are guessing about Z30 production. I would love to know how, where and what you paid for your Z10 and Z30 to get those facts. And as for Passport prices in the future, you are again guessing.

May I suggest you change your handle to eyesclosed1111?

10-19-14 06:09 PM
    First off, the 200k sold was PO's received as of launch day morning, not what was sold on Shop BlackBerry and Amazon. Second off, the fact that they are sold out on a deliberately low production run shows that there was/is more demand than anticipated for this device so you cannot take this as a negative. As for availability, they have channel commitments to adhere to. Just because they are having stock issues in some places, doesn't mean they can just tell their other vendors to wait beyond the agreed upon date while others get filled. Rest assured that they are not going to produce a ridiculous number of phones based on the first 3 weeks of sales. They are being conservative with their hardware expectations and will not run into an overstock situation with this.
    Spot on. I guess :-) there's nothing to add.

10-19-14 06:20 PM
    Little to add but chen also said with the 200k sold they are already profitable

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 06:44 PM
    ...Second off, the fact that they are sold out on a deliberately low production run shows that there was/is more demand than anticipated for this device so you cannot take this as a negative.
    Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

We agree 100% that BlackBerry is sold out on a deliberately low production run. I thought the world (or maybe just Crackberry) had gone crazy.

That said, I have some trouble with the idea that there is/was more demand than anticipated for Passport. In fairness, the statement is certainly true of BlackBerry management. A deliberately low production run is proof positive that BlackBerry management had VERY little faith in demand for Passport.

And just why a company like BlackBerry, which desperately needs a hit product, would use its only flagship of the year on a design it didn't expect to sell well is a mystery to me. But such is BlackBerry.

Yet under reasonable expectations given BlackBerry's global scale, it cannot be thought of as much of an accomplishment to sell only 200,000 Passports over that time frame in today's smartphone market. In fact, if fewer sales than that were considered even a remote possibility, then the Passport should have been canceled, like the Kin or something. Who does the demand forecasting for BlackBerry? Who runs the focus groups?

True, you can briefly sell BlackBerries to fans at huge premiums for a few weeks. So yeah, that small first run will be profitable. But what's really been accomplished?

10-19-14 07:33 PM
    Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

We agree 100% that BlackBerry is sold out on a deliberately low production run. I thought the world (or maybe just Crackberry) had gone crazy.

True, you can briefly sell BlackBerries to fans at huge premiums for a few weeks. So yeah, that small first run will be profitable. But what's really been accomplished?

Every Passport out there, as I posted in other threads, creates its own little hotspot or vortex of demand. That has been accomplished!

Now that 200,000 have been sold to the first wave of CrackBerrians including myself and other Berry enthusiasts, the growth in demand will keep moving. It's such a unique offering that promotes itself once people get to see and experience it. That doesn't need to happen in front of a TV set or in a phone store. Add celebrity endorsements and Passport cameos (Tyler, Tim, ...) to the mix.

Wait for Angela M., David C. and the rest to upgrade soon...

10-20-14 11:14 PM
    This is definitely a business strategy by JC owing to that only one number (200K) data is available but more subjective words (conservative etc). Since they are focused on enterprise, their strategy shall be smooth, long spell campaign yet to keep up the momentum to impress upon CXOs unlike the consumer(largely) oriented device makers. At the same time he has to also ensure that BBRY is profiting by whatever he is able to sell to keep his business patrons happy. Thus he is actually on a tight rope walk. Initial euphoria created by the prosumer/small media was actually positive but the demand-supply gap being reported is two way road. Thus he is actually spinning off the news towards positive side before any one spin it as negative.

But he is running out of time. Almost every market where Passport is introduced is out of stock. He need to replenish quickly so that he keeps the momentum. He has to prove his supply chain mettle.

On pricing strategy, it will be definitely interesting to see what evolves. AFAIK from 9700 days, always afterwards (varying time frame), prices came down. Will this time be different? What sort of agreement is between BBRY and device manufacturer especially in these naturally or artificially created demand-supply gap? What will be pricing strategy for enterprises (whom I believe are not yet started buying PP)? What sort of leverage BBRY will give to prosumer in keeping the buying momentum through either reduced price or elite status? Basically it is how much is not too much.

JC to us: Keep guessing the price
    We to JC: Keep guessing the numbers

Meanwhile, @Prem WatsApp, Go and get your PP before it is out of stock in down-under.
    10-21-14 01:46 AM
    Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

That said, I have some trouble with the idea that there is/was more demand than anticipated for Passport. In fairness, the statement is certainly true of BlackBerry management. A deliberately low production run is proof positive that BlackBerry management had VERY little faith in demand for Passport.

And just why a company like BlackBerry, which desperately needs a hit product, would use its only flagship of the year on a design it didn't expect to sell well is a mystery to me. But such is BlackBerry.

Yet under reasonable expectations given BlackBerry's global scale, it cannot be thought of as much of an accomplishment to sell only 200,000 Passports over that time frame in today's smartphone market. In fact, if fewer sales than that were considered even a remote possibility, then the Passport should have been canceled, like the Kin or something. Who does the demand forecasting for BlackBerry? Who runs the focus groups?

Sold 200k within what? 24 hours. Dude you are trying too hard. The earlier it gets into your skull that BlackBerry is not trying to compete with the big boys, the earlier you can comprehend

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-23-14 05:55 PM
    ...The earlier it gets into your skull that BlackBerry is not trying to compete with the big boys, the earlier you can comprehend

It's not about competing with the big boys. It's about executing in device sales to the tune of selling at least the 10 million BlackBerry devices per year that Chen tells us that he needs to sell to keep making money in phones.

So when BlackBerry selects a design for its only flagship of the year that even BlackBerry doesn't think will sell well, it doesn't do much to help to reach Chen's goal of 10 million BlackBerries sold per year. And that's bad news for everyone who wants BlackBerry to stay in the phone business.

10-25-14 03:00 AM
    Relax folks and take a chill pill, the sales of the passport will be fine and Blackberry is still going to be around for a while. Isn't that what we are all hoping for anyways??
    10-25-14 04:22 AM
    Sold 200k within what? 24 hours. Dude you are trying too hard. The earlier it gets into your skull that BlackBerry is not trying to compete with the big boys, the earlier you can comprehend

I think you brought up the real point!
    In fact, it does not metter How many phones BB sold within the first hours of release. Nor it is important to compete... The true mission was to survive... The turn they made with ignoring the normal consumer and focus on BES10, Passport and classic as well as Blend is a good move in the right direction. The normal consumer can buy if he wants. I just wonder if I can get the cloud as a normal consumer??

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    10-25-14 06:06 AM
    CDMA is a protocol that is almost EOL. The rest of the world has moved on. Those that are still on CDMA are dinos. No one should use their services.
    Wow. Really? Sorry where I live ALL GSM carriers signals suck or non existent. So I should leave what works???? For something that doesn't?
    10-25-14 06:46 AM
57 123