01-12-14 01:43 PM
105 ... 2345
tools
    The big thing that Chen has done so far is bring in a new outsider management team.

Heins and was part of the old guard.

Chen admits that the Foxconn deal was mostly done by the time Heins left. So, other then more clearly focusing the company into several divisions, we really have not seen what Chen will bring to the table.

Clearly there is more narrow device focus on Enterprise. But, why is it that Chen shows up at CES (CONSUMER Electronics Show) and talks mostly about devices?

Posted via CB10
    Good place to meet with industry CEO's, some good press was the result of AT&T meeting. Probably lip service.
    01-07-14 09:10 PM
    Mr Chen mentions enterprise quite a bit. He knows where BlackBerry's bread is buttered.
    01-07-14 09:46 PM
    I LOVE how chen is realy making sure the company focus in the core values of SECURITY PRODUCTIVITY and COMUNICATION.... That's the real blackberry...

Smartphone market is exploding, so the useless trends are there, but once the novelty goes away, the emotion buy goes away as well, and comes in the rational buy, and there's when the the less sexy, but more usefull blackberry phone is going to realy gain traction
    anand_ma likes this.
    01-07-14 09:56 PM
    He didn't say ONLY physical keyboard so even if it is their major focus, I do believe/hope they would still have at least one high end (Z30ish) all touch.

Posted via CB10
    Most likely will have full touch. He said predominantly physical keyboard.
    Jarkata would likely be all touch.
    there might not be a high end full touch this year though.

Hoping for something like BlackBerry Torch. With the screen ratio like z30 not square.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 03:06 AM
    One of most sensible comments I have ever read on Crackberry !!!! refreshing
    I LOVE how chen is realy making sure the company focus in the core values of SECURITY PRODUCTIVITY and COMUNICATION.... That's the real blackberry...

Smartphone market is exploding, so the useless trends are there, but once the novelty goes away, the emotion buy goes away as well, and comes in the rational buy, and there's when the the less sexy, but more usefull blackberry phone is going to realy gain traction
    01-08-14 04:08 AM
    People buy smartphones that are trendy and are also motivated by price/value. That is not going to change anytime soon.
    01-08-14 08:25 AM
    I did not like his hire. He said about the cool phones. How does Ron know what is cool? He came from the failed company.
    Do you know what you are talking about? HTC made the first ever Android handset, the G1. They also made the G2, which was considered one of the best smartphones of 2010. And the Droid Incredible...considered to be the best smartphone ever when it was first released...also in 2010. They also made the MyTouch and the MyTouch 4G, which was another top phone in 2010. Ironically, if you want to think of that way, the BlackBerry Pearl 3G was also a top phone in 2010.

Even though Ron Louks was not onboard with HTC until July of 2010....so I guess that gives him the HTC Droid DNA, One, One X, and One Max, and Evo 3D. Even though the entire One line-up were released after Louks left HTC, surely he something to do them....right?

HTC also did the Nexus One in 2010, and the Palm Treos.

As for Sony Ericisson...Louks came to Sony when the Ericisson line-up was switching over to Xperia. So his year at Sony (2009-2010) was with the Xperia line, which were some of the first smartphones to offer an 8.1 megapixel camera and HD recording in 2010...even if they did only ship with Gingerbread (and two models with 1.6?).

But, what he just left, the OpenNMS Group, is all about open-source enterprise software. My guess is that he was really hired to help make BES10 more Android friendly.
    Last edited by crucial bbq; 01-08-14 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Responded to wrong quote....
    01-08-14 12:17 PM
    My guess is that he was really hired to help make BES10 more Android friendly.
    Or to help usher in the first BlackBerry Android device.
    01-08-14 12:22 PM
    This is a guy who knows what hes doing, thats really how to put it. Hes bringing in experience and hes monitoring everything from the market to the media surrounding BlackBerry, hes taking everything into consideration and thats whats important he knows where BlackBerry is at and where BlackBerry can excel and thats how his plan will succeed in the future. And i think wall street likes it a lot ever since chen came the stock has been on a rising (8.5 dollars) now.
    01-08-14 02:35 PM
    Or to help usher in the first BlackBerry Android device.
    Meh...doubt it. It would be easier to make the BB10 OS more user-friendly than take Android, build a BB10 interface and include all the security.

Also, Cascades and WebWorks won't work with an Android device...

It would be fiscally irresponsible to replace BB10 with a BlackBerry Android device.

The Android platform is so saturated that people will just scoff at a BlackBerry Android device.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    01-08-14 02:36 PM
    Wow... Chen is really embracing Canada. I bet a lot of you missed his Canadian shout out!! Did any of you hear it?

I heard him say that he will "never say never". That is a clear shout out to Justin Bieber!! Perhaps that was a hint that with the removal of Alicia Keys, Blackberry will now recommence discussions with Bieber for the "creative director" role as we heard in the earlier rumours.

One of those things that may you go "Hmmmm ....."
    Thats the most ridiculous analysis ever :P i hope he never brings bieber or even any celebrity to promote BB10 because thats not the way to do it, there are more less costly ways to do so if he had the proper marketing and advertising team.
    01-08-14 02:42 PM
    Regardless of what was said or how great the interview was or wasn't -it's just good to see some positive things said about BlackBerry in the news. This is also today's top story on ComputerWorld.

BlackBerry CEO Chen has a plan to win back enterprise customers - Computerworld

John Chen CES Interview by BloomBerg-1-8-2014-2-39-20-pm.jpg
    01-08-14 02:45 PM
    It would be fiscally irresponsible to replace BB10 with a BlackBerry Android device.
    Who said anything about replacing BB10?
    01-08-14 02:57 PM
    This caught my eye.
    He also agreed that the boot time on those new BlackBerry devices is "too long -- we will fix that."
    01-08-14 03:13 PM
    Sorry. Didn't mean to post. But can't delete using the cb app.
    01-08-14 03:16 PM
    Who said anything about replacing BB10?
    Fair enough...I got lazy and didn't bother elaborating.

I don't think a BlackBerry Android Device would sell (Yes, I know the BB10 ones aren't really either.) in the saturated market. People would just complain about too little, too late; and subpar devices; and dying breath from a dying company etc etc. (You know, because people are inherently terrible.)

BB10 is still BlackBerry's best bet.

Going dual-OS would be silly - they can't afford it. They also can't afford to go Android-only. That is way too much restructuring required...nah, terrible idea.

Their problem is and has been for a long time, marketing.
    01-08-14 04:15 PM
    Most likely will have full touch. He said predominantly physical keyboard.
    Jarkata would likely be all touch.
    there might not be a high end full touch this year though.

Hoping for something like BlackBerry Torch. With the screen ratio like z30 not square.

Posted via CB10
    Predominantly physical keyboard could mean out of 3 devices released a year, 2 have physical keyboards and 1 is full touch.

Personally I'd be happier with the split being the other way around, I feel the days of physical keyboards are over, they are in my workplace that's for sure. But at the very least a 50/50 split in new device form factors would make sense. Make a high end physical Qwerty and high end all touch and a low end physical Qwerty and low end all touch every year. That wouldn't over stretch manufacturing resources and it also wouldn't lead to a confusing range of almost-but-not-quite-the-same phones that we had in the bad old legacy BBOS days.

No more mid-range phones though please BlackBerry, you're no good at them. Who the heck is the Q5 supposed to be for? I've been trying to work it out all year. It's only 60 UK pounds cheaper than a Q10. Why so similarly priced? Who's going to buy that?

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.0.1803 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    01-08-14 10:15 PM
    There's one thing that's clear from the interview, Chen hasn't got a clue what BlackBerry was all about, so instead of putting somebody in charge that could fix the missing legacy features/UI he brings yet another outsider that also doesn't know what made BB attractive for so many years for so many of us, and worst of all, he's from another failing mobile company, just like Thor was.
    oilgeo10 likes this.
    01-09-14 04:30 AM
    There's one thing that's clear from the interview, Chen hasn't got a clue what BlackBerry was all about, so instead of putting somebody in charge that could fix the missing legacy features/UI he brings yet another outsider that also doesn't know what made BB attractive for so many years for so many of us, and worst of all, he's from another failing mobile company, just like Thor was.
    If you read the entire thread you would know that multiple people have stated what you did, and then somebody with more knowledge on the topic proved them wrong.
    Moral of the story?
    Read the entire thread so we don't have rehashed discussions.

My proof:

I did not like his hire. He said about the cool phones. How does Ron know what is cool? He came from the failed company.
    HTC isn't a failed company but definately struggling and the latest news that its shares took a hit, well, it just appears Ron has jumped from one sinking to ship to another, nothing more.
    The responses:

What company? Last I checked HTC was still alive and kicking and Sony as well. Just so happens that Sony acquired Ericsson's shares and well, Ericsson is still up and running as well . You can't call any of them 'failed' companies really. If that's the case then he's now working for a 'failed' company. Nortel, well that's a failed company lol.
    Ron left HTC back in Jan 2012.

TWO whole years ago.

Everyone's acting like he just came from there when he didn't. He came from OpenNMS Group. A very different kind of company than the hardware based HTC and Sony Ericsson, but a networking services kind of company. BlackBerry is sort of a blend of the two - loosely speaking.

Posted via CB10
    Do you know what you are talking about? HTC made the first ever Android handset, the G1. They also made the G2, which was considered one of the best smartphones of 2010. And the Droid Incredible...considered to be the best smartphone ever when it was first released...also in 2010. They also made the MyTouch and the MyTouch 4G, which was another top phone in 2010. Ironically, if you want to think of that way, the BlackBerry Pearl 3G was also a top phone in 2010.

Even though Ron Louks was not onboard with HTC until July of 2010....so I guess that gives him the HTC Droid DNA, One, One X, and One Max, and Evo 3D. Even though the entire One line-up were released after Louks left HTC, surely he something to do them....right?

HTC also did the Nexus One in 2010, and the Palm Treos.

As for Sony Ericisson...Louks came to Sony when the Ericisson line-up was switching over to Xperia. So his year at Sony (2009-2010) was with the Xperia line, which were some of the first smartphones to offer an 8.1 megapixel camera and HD recording in 2010...even if they did only ship with Gingerbread (and two models with 1.6?).

But, what he just left, the OpenNMS Group, is all about open-source enterprise software. My guess is that he was really hired to help make BES10 more Android friendly.
    You're welcome, I'm assuming you wanted one of those as a proper response.
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 01-09-14 at 06:09 AM.
    01-09-14 05:59 AM
    If you read the entire thread you would know that multiple people have stated what you did, and then somebody with more knowledge on the topic proved them wrong.
    Moral of the story?
    Read the entire thread so we don't have rehashed discussions.

My proof:

The responses:

You're welcome, I'm assuming you wanted one of those as a proper response.
    Regardless, my main point was both of them are not in touch with the existing BlackBerry user base that's predominantly still on the Legacy platform. That's how the Legacy features were forgotten in the first place and they had to wait for the actual users crying to get them back before they started to make any efforts into it.
    01-09-14 06:29 AM
    The bb10 team were never really integrated with the legacy guys, they were brought in as a separate team. Most of the legacy guys are probably long gone, so although I agree with your view it'll now be very difficult to reinstate legacy features at this point. In fact many of the old 'cash cow' teams were pretty much cold shouldered by thors management structure.
    01-09-14 04:30 PM
    Regardless, my main point was both of them are not in touch with the existing BlackBerry user base that's predominantly still on the Legacy platform. That's how the Legacy features were forgotten in the first place and they had to wait for the actual users crying to get them back before they started to make any efforts into it.
    Alright, my apologies.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    01-09-14 04:33 PM
    Except that the legacy stuff was in fact dropped by Thor, who was a legacy guy - having been promoted from within RIM at the time.

Of course, as noted, the BB10 team was not from within. Now, maybe they pushed their agenda on the remaining "old guard" bosses, including Thor, but he sure was all about the "peak and flow" aspect of the new OS when it first came out.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 05:19 PM
    Every time John Chen opens his mouth, he further proves that he's exactly the person we need to save our beloved BlackBerry.

I really like this guy.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 01:46 AM
    Every time John Chen opens his mouth, he further proves that he's exactly the person we need to save our beloved BlackBerry.

I really like this guy.

Posted via CB10
    Every time he opens his mouth he sounds exactly like Thor did, probably the same person writes their speeches.

Notice the constant use if: we have cash, industry leading etc

At least they stopped with the "mobile computing" malarkey
    01-10-14 03:28 AM
105 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD