They should have poached somebody from Samsung or Apple with a proven track record, or somebody better known.
    but would they come ....
    01-07-14 09:15 AM
    The big thing that Chen has done so far is bring in a new outsider management team.

Heins and was part of the old guard.

Chen admits that the Foxconn deal was mostly done by the time Heins left. So, other then more clearly focusing the company into several divisions, we really have not seen what Chen will bring to the table.

Clearly there is more narrow device focus on Enterprise. But, why is it that Chen shows up at CES (CONSUMER Electronics Show) and talks mostly about devices?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 09:34 AM
    How does Ron know what is cool? He came from the failed company.
    HTC isn't a failed company but definately struggling and the latest news that its shares took a hit, well, it just appears Ron has jumped from one sinking to ship to another, nothing more.
    01-07-14 10:06 AM
    The predominantly physical keyboard devices was an interesting comment.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing like going back in time.

If there was no touch screen option I would switch to Android next phone. I'm done with qwertys.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 10:36 AM
    Keyboards because they are devices for enterprise. Hope that a BB10 slider model gets developed too.

Posted via CB10
    lawguyman likes this.
    01-07-14 11:32 AM
    Keyboards because they are devices for enterprise. Hope that a BB10 slider model gets developed too.

Posted via CB10
    I work in an enterprise and there are no keyboards left. People made their choice. I don't think they are coming back.

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk and aniym like this.
    01-07-14 11:57 AM
    Given the choice, more people are choosing touch over keyboards, though it's a personal preference.

It's a mistake to assume enterprise = only keyboards.

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.1925 | Bell | CB10
    01-07-14 12:32 PM
    I work in an enterprise and there are no keyboards left. People made their choice. I don't think they are coming back.
    Are you saying there is no place for keyboards in enterprise anymore? Completely?
    01-07-14 12:42 PM
    Are you saying there is no place for keyboards in enterprise anymore? Completely?
    There will always be keyboard fans but I don't think there are enough to build a business around. Everyone knows keyboards are "better" but people are not willing to trade off a big screen for a keyboard. Look, does Motorola even make a Droid anymore?

Sliders seem like a good solution but they have never really caught on. I had a Torch and I liked it but I don't miss a keyboard anymore.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    01-07-14 01:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly my experience in enterprise too as a BES Admin selecting, purchasing and issuing smartphones to people. People have moved on from dinosaur keyboard phones in their personal lives and expect and want full touch in the workplace.

People who think that Enterprise still equals keyboard phones are as stuck in the past as Mike Lazaridis.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    01-07-14 01:41 PM
    But, why is it that Chen shows up at CES (CONSUMER Electronics Show) and talks mostly about devices?
    Posted via CB10
    Because CES is about products, not services. How would it sound if Chen was trotting out the usual chatter about military-grade security, QNX microkernel, 30,000 BES installs? Snooze central, especially when everyone i oohing and aahing about 4K TVs and wearable tech.

And saying BB10 devices going forward will be predominantly keyboard-based sounds inconsistent given that Jakarta will be a touch-only device. It sounds to me like they're splitting the devices market into touch-only for consumers in middle-income markets and QWERTY for enterprise. And seeing as how QWERTY is dying, even in enterprise (I work in enterprise too) I can't imagine the devices are going to be anything but super-utilitarian, like those 10-pound Panasonic Toughbooks that the military buys.
    milo53 likes this.
    01-07-14 01:52 PM
    Thorsten Heins was big on mobile computing, smartphones plugging into a dock at the office, etc. Haven't heard Chen say much about this, wonder if he has put that idea and direction on the back burner or dumped it altogether

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 02:17 PM
    HTC isn't a failed company but definately struggling and the latest news that its shares took a hit, well, it just appears Ron has jumped from one sinking to ship to another, nothing more.
    Ron left HTC back in Jan 2012.

TWO whole years ago.

Everyone's acting like he just came from there when he didn't. He came from OpenNMS Group. A very different kind of company than the hardware based HTC and Sony Ericsson, but a networking services kind of company. BlackBerry is sort of a blend of the two - loosely speaking.

Posted via CB10
    Nharzhool likes this.
    01-07-14 02:59 PM
    This is exactly my experience in enterprise too as a BES Admin selecting, purchasing and issuing smartphones to people. People have moved on from dinosaur keyboard phones in their personal lives and expect and want full touch in the workplace.

People who think that Enterprise still equals keyboard phones are as stuck in the past as Mike Lazaridis.

Posted via CB10
    Modern touchscreen keyboards are right up there with keyboard phones anyway. Screen size is much more important for browsing and app usage, the things most people use smartphones for. Physical keyboards are for a small niche market only. Ps mike L always hated 3g technology as well. Give him a physical keyboard and gsm and he was a happy man.
    01-07-14 03:21 PM
    I'm not so sure about this. I find his strong Chinese accent makes some of the things he says hard to make out and understand. I actually didn't think that was a very good interview he gave to Bloomerg because of the difficultly in making out some of the words he was saying.

I worry that after Thorsten's German accent BlackBerry's image with US Corporations will continue to be that of an "outsider" because of Chen's foreign image. BlackBerry desperately needs to get back to being "one of the boys" in Corporate USA.

Posted via CB10
    If there is one thing the US can be accustomed to, it's the Chinese running the show.
    01-07-14 03:34 PM
    Perspective:

Where was HTC when Ron was working there?
    Where was Sony when Ron was working there?

I only ask this because, in the past both Sony and HTC were producers of some great phones(still are). Did both these companies start lagging after he left, or was he the reason?
    01-07-14 03:53 PM
    If there is one thing the US can be accustomed to, it's the Chinese running the show.
    Stop being dramatic. John Chen is from Hong Kong (which was then British) and was educated in the US. What is great about America is that people with accents can be just as American as someone descended from a pilgrim.

As for China itself, China is a friend but also a rival. We have all become so interdependent that we all have to find a way to get along.

Posted via CB10
    h20work likes this.
    01-07-14 04:15 PM
    Personally, I suck at typing on my work phone (9930), but I can fly on my personal Z30 though. Most of my enterprise users want newer phones period. All of them don't have 9900/30's btw. They honestly haven't specified that it have a keyboard or not. It just needs to work for them. I choose BlackBerry for my enterprise because it works, it's secure, and it's the easiest to manage with BES.

The future of BlackBerry currently rest in the hands of many players. If we want to help, we should be clear and concise as to what we want, need, and value most.
    01-07-14 04:53 PM
    Stop being dramatic. John Chen is from Hong Kong (which was then British) and was educated in the US. What is great about America is that people with accents can be just as American as someone descended from a pilgrim.

As for China itself, China is a friend but also a rival. We have all become so interdependent that we all have to find a way to get along.

Posted via CB10
    There was no drama, I was replying to a previous comment with factual hyperbole
    01-07-14 04:59 PM
    The first write down yes, they didn't give specifics on the 2nd one. I'd say it's highly unlikely they made more z10's and wrote them off a second time
    it's possible they lowered the value a second time of the existing inventory.

Likely though, they also wrote down the value of Q10s, Q5s etc. It troubles me that I see Z10s all over the place, Q10s much less, and have not seen Q5 or Z30.
    01-07-14 05:45 PM
    Sliders seem like a good solution but they have never really caught on. I had a Torch and I liked it but I don't miss a keyboard anymore.
    I saw the first Torch quite a lot, but I suspect that a lot of why it sold was because it was "the flagship", while people were waiting for a new Bold. Once the 9900 came out, all the air seemed to be sucked out of the room for the 9810.
    01-07-14 05:47 PM
    The predominantly physical keyboard devices was an interesting comment.

Posted via CB10
    Make the screen bigger Mr Chen and I'll be there.

? CB10 ?
    01-07-14 05:53 PM
    I saw the first Torch quite a lot, but I suspect that a lot of why it sold was because it was "the flagship", while people were waiting for a new Bold. Once the 9900 came out, all the air seemed to be sucked out of the room for the 9810.
    I used the Torch slider for a short period but never really at ease with the keyboard. I always thought the keyboard is a bit cramped.

? CB10 ?
    01-07-14 05:55 PM
    Perspective:

Where was HTC when Ron was working there?
    Where was Sony when Ron was working there?

I only ask this because, in the past both Sony and HTC were producers of some great phones(still are). Did both these companies start lagging after he left, or was he the reason?
    Sounds like Ron will be able to help out with cool design, Mr. Chen said.

? CB10 ?
    01-07-14 05:56 PM
    Really liked how John Chen handled the interview
    01-07-14 07:05 PM
105 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD