01-12-14 02:43 PM
105 1234 ...
tools
    Dup removed
    01-06-14 10:55 PM
    I did not like his hire. He said about the cool phones. How does Ron know what is cool? He came from the failed company.
    Yeah, something about bringing in a guy from HTC and Sony doesn't fill me with confidence.

Personally, I like the Sony designs quite a bit, but they haven't been overly successful. HTC, on the other hand, has been a victim of corruption and non-Samsung Android. Pre-Android I had a couple HTC handsets (WM) which I liked a lot. HTC had a number of pretty cool designs. Android (and trying to compete with Samsung) killed them.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 10:56 PM
    Wow... Chen is really embracing Canada. I bet a lot of you missed his Canadian shout out!! Did any of you hear it?

I heard him say that he will "never say never". That is a clear shout out to Justin Bieber!! Perhaps that was a hint that with the removal of Alicia Keys, Blackberry will now recommence discussions with Bieber for the "creative director" role as we heard in the earlier rumours.

One of those things that may you go "Hmmmm ....."
    01-06-14 11:29 PM
    Did I heard keyboard, I hope that includes the track pad. I want them both, BB is about communication, won't hurt to have some apps on the side to keep some people happy ....
    01-06-14 11:44 PM
    The markets seem to like something, stock was up again today

Posted via CB10 on the awesome Z10
    01-06-14 11:51 PM
    Expect partnerships with HTC and Sony.
    01-06-14 11:57 PM
    Wow... Chen is really embracing Canada. I bet a lot of you missed his Canadian shout out!! Did any of you hear it?

I heard him say that he will "never say never". That is a clear shout out to Justin Bieber!! Perhaps that was a hint that with the removal of Alicia Keys, Blackberry will now recommence discussions with Bieber for the "creative director" role as we heard in the earlier rumours.

One of those things that may you go "Hmmmm ....."
    Cop knocks on your window.

Sir, have you been drinking?
    milo53 likes this.
    01-06-14 11:58 PM
    Let's hope he doesn't try to bring a hockey team to Hamilton...

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 and milo53 like this.
    01-07-14 12:01 AM
    The predominantly physical keyboard devices was an interesting comment.

Posted via CB10
    Yes Indeed
    01-07-14 12:07 AM
    watch as the stock will start heading for the 10$.
    GS51 likes this.
    01-07-14 01:00 AM
    perception is a very important thing...it doesnt matter the product if the consumer;s perception of it is negative then it will fail...I like John Chen, the public's perception of him thus far is that he is a steady hand....steady as she goes captain
    01-07-14 01:20 AM
    I did not like his hire. He said about the cool phones. How does Ron know what is cool? He came from the failed company.
    What company? Last I checked HTC was still alive and kicking and Sony as well. Just so happens that Sony acquired Ericsson's shares and well, Ericsson is still up and running as well . You can't call any of them 'failed' companies really. If that's the case then he's now working for a 'failed' company. Nortel, well that's a failed company lol.
    CDM76, Thunderbuck and web99 like this.
    01-07-14 01:46 AM
    I'd take the QWERTY comment to mean all low-end devices will be QWERTY, and a high end QWERTY & and high end touch, but that's speculation.
    01-07-14 01:55 AM
    I think John is an excellent speaker.
    I'm not so sure about this. I find his strong Chinese accent makes some of the things he says hard to make out and understand. I actually didn't think that was a very good interview he gave to Bloomerg because of the difficultly in making out some of the words he was saying.

I worry that after Thorsten's German accent BlackBerry's image with US Corporations will continue to be that of an "outsider" because of Chen's foreign image. BlackBerry desperately needs to get back to being "one of the boys" in Corporate USA.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 02:24 AM
    "Ron knows "what's cool" well I've heard a lot of people out here hoping for this, a person who knows what consumers want.

Hope those people are happy.

Chen clearly has the goods in a variety of ways and strikes me as a mover and shaker in ways that Heins was not. He's also very well connected in business and government.

That said, bolting on some exec to help you figure out how to make handsets that people want is a little scary. If you are really serious about a market, then it should permeate your entire culture, not just throw one exec at a "problem" that happens to be a huge component of your business.

Clearly Chen is not a consumer electronics guy, and given Blackberry's retreat back to their traditional client-base to regroup after the market failure of BB10 so far that's fine, but the way this interview struck me honestly was that he was just going to prop up that business as long as they could still sell product, but ultimately unload a lot of the responsibility of it onto Foxconn. I was leaning a different way previously, but after that interview I'm inclined to think that the long-term goal is just to license the platform to hardware vendors the way that Microsoft does.

The predominantly physical keyboard devices was an interesting comment.

I have a feeling he will change his tune on this eventually. At this point he probably mostly sees that as one of the few niches that BlackBerry has a leg up on competitors. Which is true. But most of the world wants touchscreens these days.
    01-07-14 02:29 AM
    I'm not so sure about this. I find his strong Chinese accent makes some of the things he says hard to make out and understand. I actually didn't think that was a very good interview he gave to Bloomerg because of the difficultly in making out some of the words he was saying.

I worry that after Thorsten's German accent BlackBerry's image with US Corporations will continue to be that of an "outsider" because of Chen's foreign image. BlackBerry desperately needs to get back to being "one of the boys" in Corporate USA.

Posted via CB10
    So more "Eh's" and "oots" would make us feel more comfortable?
    01-07-14 02:34 AM
    I find his strong Chinese accent makes some of the things he says hard to make out and understand. I actually didn't think that was a very good interview he gave to Bloomerg because of the difficultly in making out some of the words he was saying.

I had no difficulty understanding him at all. Then again I am probably around more native Chinese speakers and Asians in general than you. San Francisco is now majority non-caucasian.

Personally I think with the economic balance of power in the world shifting the way it is these days, it's a perfect time to have a Chinese CEO. Among other things, the largest mobile market in the world by far right now is China, and BlackBerry is for all practical purposes nonexistent there. That's really really stupid. Like an automobile manufacturer that wants nothing to do with the US market.
    01-07-14 02:35 AM
    Expect partnerships with HTC and Sony.
    Takeover maybe - if they want to shake hands with Google
    01-07-14 06:33 AM
    I had no difficulty understanding him at all. Then again I am probably around more native Chinese speakers and Asians in general than you. San Francisco is now majority non-caucasian.

Personally I think with the economic balance of power in the world shifting the way it is these days, it's a perfect time to have a Chinese CEO. Among other things, the largest mobile market in the world by far right now is China, and BlackBerry is for all practical purposes nonexistent there. That's really really stupid. Like an automobile manufacturer that wants nothing to do with the US market.
    He will probably say he is from Hong Kong not China!
    01-07-14 06:36 AM
    I love this guy!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 06:53 AM
    So more "Eh's" and "oots" would make us feel more comfortable?
    It's more like "oat" or "ewt" from what I hear in CrackBerry's and BlackBerry's videos, I'm English so I pronounce out correctly as "owt".

But I'm not sure that Canadian is seen as "one of the boys" in the US either, is it?!?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 07:08 AM

Chen isn't actually Chinese. He was born in Hong Kong, which at the time was British, and his nationality is now 'American' (USA).

What I was referring to is his strong accent, which is heavily influenced by Chinese. A lot of people around the world will have difficulty understanding him, even if he proves to be a great CEO.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 07:15 AM
    That was a horrible interview. Nothing we really didn't know already.

I like John Chen, and the direction he is heading with the company is his only choice.

The newest hire concerns me. In the grand scheme of things, he is really a nobody. They should have poached somebody from Samsung or Apple with a proven track record, or somebody better known.
    neteng1000, oilgeo10 and johnnyuk like this.
    01-07-14 08:33 AM
    That was a horrible interview. Nothing we really didn't know already.

I like John Chen, and the direction he is heading with the company is his only choice.

The newest hire concerns me. In the grand scheme of things, he is really a nobody. They should have poached somebody from Samsung or Apple with a proven track record, or somebody better known.
    Wasn't really bad. He answered the question he was asked. It was an informal interview. What did you expect?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 08:52 AM
    Going keyboard only is a BIG mistake. One I cannot believe they would do. The Z10 out sold the Q10 3 to 1.

BBM statement makes sense.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 09:59 AM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD