12-27-13 12:18 PM
42 12
tools
    Foxconn may be putting a cheap phone out first for BB but I would think 12 months from now they do have the ability to put out a cutting edge product in a timely manner. Blackberry has two prized possessions from what I see, security and QNX (BB10). With the latest leaks there is no doubt they are going after 100% Android compatibility which will give them the apps they need. 3 months from now anyone that gets handed a corporate Blackberry phone is going to be pretty happy with it....hopefully this will start to change the image of Blackberry. Always remember as a corporation the most valuable thing you own is your image.
    12-25-13 08:42 AM
    I warn you guys not to set expectations too high. "Foxconn", "Indonesia", "John Chen"... none of these are magic solutions to Blackberry's problems.

Foxconn is a hardware manufacturer incapable of pitching its own brand products. Many brand name hardware is not designed by Foxconn. Indonesia is an impoverished nation of under 300 million. And, finally, even Steve Jobs could not right Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

I do not see a viable turnaround plan for Blackberry, even with the Foxconn deal. While the share price is rallying, many of the investors are the same that bought into the BB10 hype pre-launch. Insiders, such as Lazardis, are taking the opportunity to offload shares while the irrationality pervades.
    Which expectations?? The ones JC set out?? Cash position to be maintained in Q4, cash flow neutral in FY 2015 and profitable in FY 2016.

The other part of your message doesn't make any sense either. IMHO of course

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 08:50 AM
    Heins was pretty much a disaster for the company. All the key decisions which are garnering support (e.g. BBM on ios and android; focus on enterprises ) were made way too late. He didn't make any of the hard decisions early enough. He tried to be all things to all people and it was already too late by the time he took over.
    Oh, balls to that. He inherited a mess and Lasaridus and co. handed him that mess and basically said, "Here, you fix it" . I was a BB user for years and RIMM's trouble started with the disaster that was Storm I. After that horrifyingly bad device launched, they should have redoubled their efforts to make the Storm II a success. But they didn't.
    12-25-13 09:08 AM
    You did note that the BlackBerry website still has interim on it? How can you chastise reporters when the organization can't get it right?
    Exactly.
    12-25-13 09:23 AM
    Oh, balls to that. He inherited a mess and Lasaridus and co. handed him that mess and basically said, "Here, you fix it" . I was a BB user for years and RIMM's trouble started with the disaster that was Storm I. After that horrifyingly bad device launched, they should have redoubled their efforts to make the Storm II a success. But they didn't.
    I tend to agree. Thor didn't inherit the Garden of Eden.
    milo53 likes this.
    12-25-13 09:24 AM
    Foxconn may be putting a cheap phone out first for BB but I would think 12 months from now they do have the ability to put out a cutting edge product in a timely manner. Blackberry has two prized possessions from what I see, security and QNX (BB10). With the latest leaks there is no doubt they are going after 100% Android compatibility which will give them the apps they need. 3 months from now anyone that gets handed a corporate Blackberry phone is going to be pretty happy with it....hopefully this will start to change the image of Blackberry. Always remember as a corporation the most valuable thing you own is your image.
    The BlackBerry Z10/30 and BlackBerry Q5/10 are cutting-edge smartphones but are overpriced in terms of the reputation of BlackBerry, the company and the product.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    12-25-13 12:03 PM
    Since BB is in the low-cost handset space for their next phone, I'd really love to see some "left-field" ideas from them. For example: a "BBM-handset". All messaging, voice and video are done via BBM over WiFi or a data-only plan. BlackBerry can sell these phones directly, and work with carriers to create tiered plans that allow them to offer one or more of those services.
    Low cost handset=extremely low margins. Especially with Foxconn handling most responsibilities. What margin could possibly be? On a sub 100$ handset? 10-15 bucks?
    12-25-13 12:10 PM
    He's already signed on permanently.
    So he has moved to Waterloo? Permanently? That's good news.
    12-25-13 12:27 PM
    What about my Z50?
    12-25-13 12:47 PM
    Low cost handset=extremely low margins. Especially with Foxconn handling most responsibilities. What margin could possibly be? On a sub 100$ handset? 10-15 bucks?
    The margin for BlackBerry is immaterial on the smartphones. There are revenue stream opportunities via a BlackBerry Messenger service platform, as another forum member posted, in terms of BBM messaging, BBM video calling, BBM voice-only calling offered over WiFi and/or a BBM-only data plan through the wireless carriers. Such a platform could allow BlackBerry to transition to a services company at the consumer-level in a similar vein as BlackBerry Enterprise Service (in-house and hosted/cloud) currently provides a continous revenue stream.

allengeorge likes this.
    12-25-13 01:51 PM
    At this point in time it's more important just to shift units and get the numbers up so developers will bring their apps to the platform. Nothing wrong with breaking even if they're able to manage to get more phones into more hands.
    Korepab and qwerty4ever like this.
    12-25-13 08:40 PM
    The margin for BlackBerry is immaterial on the smartphones. There are revenue stream opportunities via a BlackBerry Messenger service platform, as another forum member posted, in terms of BBM messaging, BBM video calling, BBM voice-only calling offered over WiFi and/or a BBM-only data plan through the wireless carriers. Such a platform could allow BlackBerry to transition to a services company at the consumer-level in a similar vein as BlackBerry Enterprise Service (in-house and hosted/cloud) currently provides a continous revenue stream.
    You're dreaming if you think BBM will make Blackberry any substantial money... if anything at all.

BBM is just another way of doing things that other apps can currently do.
    12-25-13 09:25 PM
    You're dreaming if you think BBM will make Blackberry any substantial money... if anything at all.

BBM is just another way of doing things that other apps can currently do.
    But in the target emerging markets BBM has been a critical factor for current BlackBerry users along with BIS. With an enhanced BBM experience on a BBM-only smartphone there is a chance to transition current BlackBerry users on BIS data plans to adopt BlackBerry 10, and entice budget-conscious potential consumers.

12-25-13 09:59 PM
    So BlackBerry has a rudder. The next question is, do they have a paddle.
    12-27-13 08:01 AM
    I still think that Heins was actually the right guy for 2012. He was the logistics guy who was perfect for the role of shepherding BB10 to market. It's too bad that his skillset didn't extend to the kind of marketing and business expertise that the product needed when it launched.

Chen is a smart guy with a great reputation for actually running a business (better yet, turning one around!). I expect that we in the community will not be happy with all his decisions, but I think the company is in good hands.
    I agree, some of the decisions he will make are going to seem harsh, but, he has the proven experience. He's gathering his troops, and securing manufacturing. I feel a big problem lies with the front line sales. There's a lot of bad press coming from the carrier's sales staff.

Sent from the phone of the gods.....Z30
    12-27-13 08:27 AM
    They shouldn't be. He announced on the earnings call last Friday that he was no longer "interim".
    Wait, really? I've must have missed that part when listening to it.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 12:01 PM
    Hands on with RIM’s BlackBerry Application Suite on the HTC Fuze | BGR

Is there any chance that Chen brings this back into the mix? BB10 Application Suite for iPhone / Android / Windows Phone? Would it even be possible? Two of those platforms have lots of 3rd party email applications because the built-in ones don't cut it for everyone. If BlackBerry could be the communications hub for all these platforms, that could be a play for them if they can pull it off.
    12-27-13 12:18 PM
42 12