12-27-13 01:18 PM
42 12
tools
    BlackBerry CEO Chen: Wall Street reaction favorable early on | BGR

Edit: The title makes that appear a Chen quote. It wasn't, it was an analyst statement re: Chen. My bad, a mod can fix it if need be.

Twitter: xandermac
    12-23-13 04:01 PM
    I still think that Heins was actually the right guy for 2012. He was the logistics guy who was perfect for the role of shepherding BB10 to market. It's too bad that his skillset didn't extend to the kind of marketing and business expertise that the product needed when it launched.

Chen is a smart guy with a great reputation for actually running a business (better yet, turning one around!). I expect that we in the community will not be happy with all his decisions, but I think the company is in good hands.
    12-23-13 04:22 PM
    You think he'll end up being their permanent CEO?

12-23-13 04:23 PM
    Hmm. Seems at least someone else out side of CB is interpreting the same thing like those "negative posters."
    "Barron’s flags a few notes from analysts who give Chen an early thumbs-up for his plan to abandon the high-end consumer smartphone market and refocus the company’s efforts on building enterprise-centric devices, software and services."
    m1a1mg and JeepBB like this.
    12-23-13 04:24 PM
    You think he'll end up being their permanent CEO?

He's already signed on permanently.
    12-23-13 07:18 PM
    Didn't know that. Stability is good.
    12-23-13 07:24 PM
    Then why is everyone calling him "interim" ceo

T-mobile Z30 powered by 10.2.1.xxxx
    12-23-13 07:55 PM

They shouldn't be. He announced on the earnings call last Friday that he was no longer "interim".
    southlander likes this.
    12-23-13 08:08 PM
    They shouldn't be. He announced on the earnings call last Friday that he was no longer "interim".
    Nice.

12-23-13 09:30 PM
    Until the next thing comes along.
    But, I hope he hangs around long enough to get things past the "running well" stage.
    12-23-13 10:40 PM
    I still think that Heins was actually the right guy for 2012. He was the logistics guy who was perfect for the role of shepherding BB10 to market. It's too bad that his skillset didn't extend to the kind of marketing and business expertise that the product needed when it launched.

Chen is a smart guy with a great reputation for actually running a business (better yet, turning one around!). I expect that we in the community will not be happy with all his decisions, but I think the company is in good hands.
    While I agree with your statement that Heins was probably perfect for the role of bringing BB10 to market, what Blackberry needed was a management team that had all the expertise necessary to turn around the business: Logistics, Marketing, Software, Sales, etc. A true CEO would have identified the areas of weakness in his own skillset and would have brought in the people to complement him. So in that sense he was not the perfect CEO for the job, he did some really good things, but Blackberry was lacking in many other areas during his tenure and it was his job to make sure that they had the right people in all areas of the business.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    laketrout73 and rarsen like this.
    12-23-13 11:14 PM
    Heins was pretty much a disaster for the company. All the key decisions which are garnering support (e.g. BBM on ios and android; focus on enterprises ) were made way too late. He didn't make any of the hard decisions early enough. He tried to be all things to all people and it was already too late by the time he took over.

Chen may or may not turn things around but the only way he can is to focus on a few key things and do them superbly well. They, as they usually are, will be obvious. Enterprise stuff (absolutely key), BBM (especially for market sentiment), key partners (Foxconn is a brilliant move for them to make). Handsets are subservient to these. They can help support enterprises and over the long term may help rebuild the company but I don't expect them to take centre stage for some time to come.

Still love the Z10 to bits and wish the company was doing better (and on the basis of BB10 I think it should be) but that is the problem when you have mature companies run by engineers. They are too often fixated with the internals widgets and gadgets.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 03:12 AM
    Should also have said that the idea of a five year agreement with Foxconn is important. Five years is more than a company's phone life cycle. I suspect it will give some major organisations more belief in BlackBerry being around. They may feel more comfortable signing up for enterprise services.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 03:44 AM
    Heins was pretty much a disaster for the company. All the key decisions which are garnering support (e.g. BBM on ios and android; focus on enterprises ) were made way too late. He didn't make any of the hard decisions early enough. He tried to be all things to all people and it was already too late by the time he took over.

Chen may or may not turn things around but the only way he can is to focus on a few key things and do them superbly well. They, as they usually are, will be obvious. Enterprise stuff (absolutely key), BBM (especially for market sentiment), key partners (Foxconn is a brilliant move for them to make). Handsets are subservient to these. They can help support enterprises and over the long term may help rebuild the company but I don't expect them to take centre stage for some time to come.

Still love the Z10 to bits and wish the company was doing better (and on the basis of BB10 I think it should be) but that is the problem when you have mature companies run by engineers. They are too often fixated with the internals widgets and gadgets.

Posted via CB10
    The other thing missed these "messiah" threads is that it all comes down to the product and the professionalism of the engineering organisation.
    For all the fanboy bluster, the products lack true innovation to excite the market and the engineering environment is still back in the 20th century.
    This needed addressing years back but has been lost in the boardroom antics and the clamour to sell the business.
    sentimentGX4 and allengeorge like this.
    12-24-13 03:46 AM
    I am going to guess that deal has been in the works for a a while and was not merely put together in the last few months since Chen came along. If it was chen's baby then that boy works fast.

Should also have said that the idea of a five year agreement with Foxconn is important. Five years is more than a company's phone life cycle. I suspect it will give some major organisations more belief in BlackBerry being around. They may feel more comfortable signing up for enterprise services.

Posted via CB10

12-24-13 06:49 AM
    xandermac,

I'm sure that it has been in the works for a while. The key is that Heins didn't move quickly enough. He tried to continue business as usual with BB10 rather than OS7. That was way too late. He could have done the deal way earlier in his time if he had made the hard choices early on. It seems to me that it wasn't until the summer this year that the company realised how bad it was all going - waaaaay too late.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    12-24-13 07:20 AM
    I am going to guess that deal has been in the works for a a while and was not merely put together in the last few months since Chen came along. If it was chen's baby then that boy works fast.

xandermac,

I'm sure that it has been in the works for a while. The key is that Heins didn't move quickly enough. He tried to continue business as usual with BB10 rather than OS7. That was way too late. He could have done the deal way earlier in his time if he had made the hard choices early on. It seems to me that it wasn't until the summer this year that the company realised how bad it was all going - waaaaay too late.
    Thorston didn't have the mandate that Chen has. He was hired to bring BB10 to market as cheaply as possible with no marketing budget. He was a cost cutter which he did quite well the Foxconn deal was kicked off by Thorston as well as direct downloading of Android apps etc. Chen is just riding on Thorstons coat tails for the moment. The moves that Chen has made such as gutting the board is a good start.

Z10 Running 10.2.1.1259 Take that Mr App Gap!
    milo53 likes this.
    12-24-13 12:32 PM
    I've seen nothing to indicate that BlackBerry will be turned around. As much as I'd love to see that happen, the latest moves don't inspire confidence. I would have liked to see a single-minded focus on:
    1. Enterprise Device Management
    2. In-Car Integration $$

This would mean BlackBerry exiting the handset market entirely. I realize that this is an unpopular opinion but, despite using BB10 phones, I'm of the opinion that they don't offer significant value over Android and iOS to justify switching. In fact, I believe that BB10 is simply chasing after the market leaders.

$$ It's not clear to me whether this is a defensible niche or not.
    12-24-13 04:32 PM
    Since BB is in the low-cost handset space for their next phone, I'd really love to see some "left-field" ideas from them. For example: a "BBM-handset". All messaging, voice and video are done via BBM over WiFi or a data-only plan. BlackBerry can sell these phones directly, and work with carriers to create tiered plans that allow them to offer one or more of those services.
    12-24-13 04:40 PM
    Should also have said that the idea of a five year agreement with Foxconn is important.Five years is more than a company's phone life cycle. I suspect it will give some major organisations more belief in BlackBerry being around. They may feel more comfortable signing up for enterprise services.
    “No operation extends with any certainty beyond the first encounter with the main body of the enemy.”

That body being Microsoft, Android, Google, Apple and Samsung.
    12-24-13 09:23 PM
    Are you sure. I didn't catch that. But I'm old, so it's possible. Someone should tell BBRY.

BlackBerry Executive Team - US
    12-24-13 09:58 PM
    I warn you guys not to set expectations too high. "Foxconn", "Indonesia", "John Chen"... none of these are magic solutions to Blackberry's problems.

Foxconn is a hardware manufacturer incapable of pitching its own brand products. Many brand name hardware is not designed by Foxconn. Indonesia is an impoverished nation of under 300 million. And, finally, even Steve Jobs could not right Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

I do not see a viable turnaround plan for Blackberry, even with the Foxconn deal. While the share price is rallying, many of the investors are the same that bought into the BB10 hype pre-launch. Insiders, such as Lazardis, are taking the opportunity to offload shares while the irrationality pervades.
    12-24-13 10:28 PM
    Lol the dark clouds trying to rain when the sun is coming out. Mike L selling some shares for whatever reason is meaningless. The Foxconn deal was a surprise and a very big positive. I am not going to waste time explaining everything to these negative rain clouds who ONLY have bad to say against BlackBerry weather it's misplaced anger or paid negativity. These negative energy beings looking and twisting everything into a negative is such a sad way to live ones life.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 12:49 AM

Bc 'reporters' don't research stories anymore, they just copy and paste. Someone called him in term after the Q report, and others just copied it.

It is especially bad with BlackBerry articles. People just want to post a quick article to get click bait for everyone just waiting for the next ''BlackBerry is dead piece'

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 01:58 AM
    Bc 'reporters' don't research stories anymore, they just copy and paste. Someone called him in term after the Q report, and others just copied it.
    You did note that the BlackBerry website still has interim on it? How can you chastise reporters when the organization can't get it right?
    12-25-13 08:15 AM
42 12