05-14-14 06:33 AM
102 1234 ...
tools
    This thread is so amazing I just liked and thanked every person and every post on it.

1) I think compared to most sites out there for other mobile platforms (even our other sites like Android Central, iMore and WPCentral) we actually over report on departures on CrackBerry compared to them. Other sites tend to do it only for MAJOR people departures or shifts. In the case of BlackBerry where things have been more challenging the last couple yeras, we have seen way more departures get reported than you would normally see because guys like Will Connors at WSJ seem to make it their mission to report on them (I swear he must get a bonus for writing those posts up) - and sometimes they report on ones that just are not that important overall to the company. But then it starts to set an expectation to report on them all. But really, this isn't news. Watch Linkedin - people are moving every day in the tech space between companies, or leaving for their own startups, etc. And it's not just BB that loses people. Facebooks, Googles and Twitters and Apples do too.

I'm sure James Novak is a great guy, but dudes.. he was NOT a "major" executive from a BlackBerry perspective. He was the VP of Sales for the Verizon BlackBerry Account. A Channel Account manager. Again, great guy I'm sure, but not steering the BlackBerry strategic ship. Not something to report on. Remember, a company like BlackBerry probably has HUNDREDS of VPs. Until you get to the absolute top 10 people in the company, titles like VP, etc. below that are significant for pay scale. You can't take the title as meaning "OMG THIS PERSON LEFT THE COMPANY IS SCREWED."

Bla1ze and Adam already said it, it's not our goal to cover every BB departure. Most "normal" BlackBerry owners don't care, and the ones that do care can still freely talk about it here in the forums, where the topic came up. Just don't go thinking that means we're not reporting on stuff and that we're not doing our jobs. We're doing our jobs by not blogging it up.

2) In regards to the comment about the CB10 call for App Developers, I'm really amused at some of the stupidity that has been shown in response to that blog post. I wrote an update to the post today to further clarify things:

Are you an awesome BlackBerry 10 developer and want to make the CB10 app better? If yes, read this! [Updated] | CrackBerry.com

May 2nd Update - We've already had a few developers reach out which is great to see! Scrolling through the comments this morning, I just wanted to address a few of the things I've been reading: - The notion to get developers from the community participating on a volunteer basis was suggested by developers who just wanted to help pitch in - this isn't CrackBerry looking for a hand out. As there is more than one developer wanting to help out, we needed a method for working with multiple devs handling the code where we can still ensure the overall quality of what's being submitted to BlackBerry World, which is why we're taking the GitHub private repository method. - I never said in the post that we're not also willing to compensate developers for their time and contributions. With a community project like this, we're looking for developers who are passionate about the project (making the CB10 app better!) and not just about making money first. That's how great communities work - look at all the awesome moderators and ambassadors we have on the team who volunteer lots of time to help make CrackBerry a better place. Most of the people who "work" for Mobile Nations today (even Adam and Bla1ze, Dan Rubino, Rene Ritchie, Phil Nickinson and many, many more) started out as volunteers on the site first. Heck, Windows Phone Central's awesome app was also made by a volunteer developer. Then when we see awesome passionate people in the community doing great things, we promote from there. I know at least some of the devs who have read this post and applied recognize the potential of getting involved.

3) As for a few other comments I want to leave in regards to some of the things mentioned in this post, I'll hold off on for now. Going to do a nice write up soon that addresses things proactively. Clearly some further education is needed.

LOVE YOU ALL!
    05-02-14 08:02 PM
    I figured he just retired - early
    CrackBerry Kevin and eldricho like this.
    05-02-14 08:06 PM
    This thread is so amazing I just liked and thanked every person and every post on it.

1) I think compared to most sites out there for other mobile platforms (even our other sites like Android Central, iMore and WPCentral) we actually over report on departures on CrackBerry compared to them. Other sites tend to do it only for MAJOR people departures or shifts. In the case of BlackBerry where things have been more challenging the last couple yeras, we have seen way more departures get reported than you would normally see because guys like Will Connors at WSJ seem to make it their mission to report on them (I swear he must get a bonus for writing those posts up) - and sometimes they report on ones that just are not that important overall to the company. But then it starts to set an expectation to report on them all. But really, this isn't news. Watch Linkedin - people are moving every day in the tech space between companies, or leaving for their own startups, etc. And it's not just BB that loses people. Facebooks, Googles and Twitters and Apples do too.

I'm sure James Novak is a great guy, but dudes.. he was NOT a "major" executive from a BlackBerry perspective. He was the VP of Sales for the Verizon BlackBerry Account. A Channel Account manager. Again, great guy I'm sure, but not steering the BlackBerry strategic ship. Not something to report on. Remember, a company like BlackBerry probably has HUNDREDS of VPs. Until you get to the absolute top 10 people in the company, titles like VP, etc. below that are significant for pay scale. You can't take the title as meaning "OMG THIS PERSON LEFT THE COMPANY IS SCREWED."

Bla1ze and Adam already said it, it's not our goal to cover every BB departure. Most "normal" BlackBerry owners don't care, and the ones that do care can still freely talk about it here in the forums, where the topic came up. Just don't go thinking that means we're not reporting on stuff and that we're not doing our jobs. We're doing our jobs by not blogging it up.

2) In regards to the comment about the CB10 call for App Developers, I'm really amused at some of the stupidity that has been shown in response to that blog post. I wrote an update to the post today to further clarify things:

Are you an awesome BlackBerry 10 developer and want to make the CB10 app better? If yes, read this! [Updated] | CrackBerry.com

May 2nd Update - We've already had a few developers reach out which is great to see! Scrolling through the comments this morning, I just wanted to address a few of the things I've been reading: - The notion to get developers from the community participating on a volunteer basis was suggested by developers who just wanted to help pitch in - this isn't CrackBerry looking for a hand out. As there is more than one developer wanting to help out, we needed a method for working with multiple devs handling the code where we can still ensure the overall quality of what's being submitted to BlackBerry World, which is why we're taking the GitHub private repository method. - I never said in the post that we're not also willing to compensate developers for their time and contributions. With a community project like this, we're looking for developers who are passionate about the project (making the CB10 app better!) and not just about making money first. That's how great communities work - look at all the awesome moderators and ambassadors we have on the team who volunteer lots of time to help make CrackBerry a better place. Most of the people who "work" for Mobile Nations today (even Adam and Bla1ze, Dan Rubino, Rene Ritchie, Phil Nickinson and many, many more) started out as volunteers on the site first. Heck, Windows Phone Central's awesome app was also made by a volunteer developer. Then when we see awesome passionate people in the community doing great things, we promote from there. I know at least some of the devs who have read this post and applied recognize the potential of getting involved.

3) As for a few other comments I want to leave in regards to some of the things mentioned in this post, I'll hold off on for now. Going to do a nice write up soon that addresses things proactively. Clearly some further education is needed.

LOVE YOU ALL!
    Great response Kevin and mostly, thanks for responding!

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-02-14 08:09 PM
    Seems like a fair response to me.
    CrackBerry Kevin likes this.
    05-02-14 08:11 PM
    If you guys haven't heard... since Crackberry are busy with watches and whatnot... but Blackberry just lost another major executive in the form of VP of Sales James Novak.

According to his Twitter account

[ATTACH=CONFIG]267372[/ATTACH
    It's about time this guy is gone. Good riddance. No need for a story.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 08:34 PM
    They laid some more people off the week a friend of mine was laid off Wednesday. He lives in the US

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 08:51 PM
    Well.... this was interesting
    05-02-14 08:58 PM
    quite comical indeed.
    05-02-14 09:18 PM

LOVE YOU ALL!
    I like your approach towards the CB app development, but I can't help but think maybe you could be a bit more ambitious with a community/crowdsourced project. If you can generate enough interest, instead of a CB app, perhaps it could be a Mobile Nations app that works with all MN sites. Instead of 5 site specific apps that may potentially need 5 builds each, you could do 1 app for each platform to accommodate them all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    05-02-14 09:37 PM
    I like your approach towards the CB app development, but I can't help but think maybe you could be a bit more ambitious with a community/crowdsourced project. If you can generate enough interest, instead of a CB app, perhaps it could be a Mobile Nations app that works with all MN sites. Instead of 5 site specific apps that may potentially need 5 builds each, you could do 1 app for each platform to accommodate them all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    that is on the list as well to be done
    05-02-14 09:42 PM

LOVE YOU ALL!
    Dammit Kevin, made my day when I saw the like I received, but then I read this post and made me feel like I was just a pawn in your like whoring of the first page.
    05-02-14 09:50 PM
    Kevin liking every post in a thread (no matter what is said) is oddly hilarious.
    05-02-14 10:18 PM
    I'm only posting because I want a free "like" from Kevin.
    05-02-14 10:52 PM
    Hahaha awesome Kev

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 11:29 PM
    We tend not to post on all the departures unless they are big.
    Raised eyebrow, Adam: VP of sales of BlackBerry leaving not big enough to post? If there was a photon shortage and you had to choose between posting that and a $30 bluetooth speaker giveaway,maybe: but if you're saying that CrackBerry had the resources to post it and chose not to? That seems to be an odd editorial choice for CrackBerry, but it is yours (CB editors) to make.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 11:42 PM
    CrackBerry hasn't posted many stories lately which give readers an opportunity to criticize. Jubei's rambling fluff pieces with sexy pics have been a definite distraction.
    05-02-14 11:56 PM
    BlackBerry salesman, that's an oxymoron right. I hope the new guys do a whole lot better.
    05-03-14 12:51 AM
    Really Birdman
    05-03-14 12:57 AM
    Classy, CBK, classy.

P.S. To critics: that's why we know him as CBK and we only know y'all as CBwho?

CBK - again, CLASSY response buddy!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 01:16 AM
    Why does everyone automatically think he was let go? He actually is leaving to pursue a great job with another company. Everyone assumes he was fired. Not the case.

Posted Via my ? Z30 ?
    I was just about to comment the same.

All the Chen lovers always assume if someone leaves, it is part of his "master plan". Hey, maybe people want a better opportunity elsewhere. IMO people see the writing on the wall, and most, valuable, employes are seeking employment elsewhere.

Sycophants.........
    Doggerz and CrackBerry Kevin like this.
    05-03-14 02:24 AM
    CrackBerry hasn't posted many stories lately which give readers an opportunity to criticize. Jubei's rambling fluff pieces with sexy pics have been a definite distraction.
    Yes, "wag the dog"
    05-03-14 02:25 AM
    Raised eyebrow, Adam: VP of sales of BlackBerry leaving not big enough to post? If there was a photon shortage and you had to choose between posting that and a $30 bluetooth speaker giveaway,maybe: but if you're saying that CrackBerry had the resources to post it and chose not to? That seems to be an odd editorial choice for CrackBerry, but it is yours (CB editors) to make.

Posted via CB10
    VP of sales of BlackBerry <-- For one carrier.
    05-03-14 02:31 AM
    Nice response, Kevin. Thanks!
    (now, waiting for the like...)

? BBM channeling at C003910CB
    05-03-14 02:31 AM
    If you guys haven't heard... since Crackberry are busy with watches and whatnot... but Blackberry just lost another major executive in the form of VP of Sales James Novak.

According to his Twitter account

[ATTACH=CONFIG]267372[/ATTACH
    Maybe he is going to a company where he will be allowed to sell things. Chen won't allow BlackBerry to sell things since he is there to put the company to rest. A BlackBerry comeback would mean the end of Chen. He is the harbinger of death. He will lead BlackBerry to its end.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    05-03-14 02:34 AM
    BlackBerry salesman, that's an oxymoron right. I hope the new guys do a whole lot better.
    Assuming there is new people.
    05-03-14 02:53 AM
102 1234 ...