07-21-15 10:00 AM
39 12
tools
    What can BlackBerry contribute? Are we at the mercy of Google, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft when using these devices?

Nest, Amazon and their IoT ilk spark privacy concerns | CIO

Is this the Telescreen or worse? :-)

Are governments keen to intercept the data flow?
    Are we going to be protected?
    Are there laws, or will it be a technical solution?

:-D

  www. CrackDroidChentral .com --- (BB10 NOT dead!)  
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-13-15 12:08 AM
    Call me old fashioned but I'm not interested in a fridge, stove, light, heater, fan, doors, thermostat, faucet and blah blah blah that can be controlled with an app or some IoT thingy . Moving around constantly gives me a reason to keep my old weary bones going strong

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    rlnv, menshawy, grover5 and 1 others like this.
    07-13-15 12:19 AM
    Most of the IoT items I've built at home are using Debian or Arduino. But it depends a lot on how you make the network. And a lot of the time the data isn't worth protecting too

It's a tough one, but it's one of the reasons I try and do all my DIY projects on my own. The other thing to mention is most of my IoT is for halloween projects anyway so data retention and storage isn't as important.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    07-13-15 09:09 AM
    Call me old fashioned but I'm not interested in a fridge, stove, light, heater, fan, doors, thermostat, faucet and blah blah blah that can be controlled with an app or some IoT thingy .
    I agree with you. I don't even trust house alarms that are controlled by someone else.

Posted via CB10
    LoganSix likes this.
    07-13-15 11:24 AM
    Yup, to me, all this automation business just conjures images those blob people from Wall-E being transported on hover-couches, glued to their on board displays. No thanks.

A happy life, is a simple one, for me.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.858
    marameansdemon likes this.
    07-13-15 12:06 PM
    Just like QNX doesn't prevent cars from being hacked, BB IoT contributions won't protect your privacy either as long as the implementation/configuration is left up to the manufacturer.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-13-15 12:13 PM
    Let's say, the above mentioned corporations manage to keep their data hunger at bay and actually keep our data private and refrain from profiling us (and selling these profiles). I might even be ok with that, or at least make friends with this idea.

For surveillance-minded governments, this will be an almost irresistible opportunity to listen into our everyday conversations (as these convenience IoT devices need to be constantly "on") by - unlawfully or unconstitutionally - tapping into the data stream.

I think this situation is even more surreptitiously evil than what is portrayed in the 1984 novel. We - consumers - willingly buy the devices (for our convenience?), not knowing who or what might be using the audio, tapping into it, or for what purpose.

In "1984" these guys at least know not to screw up, because they are aware they are under strong surveillance.

Do "they" really want to listen in to every domestic little tussle, how we educate our kids, our dinner conversations and our secret lovemaking...?

I'm just putting this out there...

  "WatsApp with the Chendroid?" - "Goog question, lol..."  
    07-13-15 07:40 PM
    That's exactly what scares me. We wouldn't have privacy in the "safety" of our own homes. This bring me back to what I've said already. It's like hiring a company to put cameras inside your house for "safety" and if someone gets inside your house to rob it, which can happen once in a blue moon and that leads us to what happens with the footage being taped? The people surveilling it enjoys seeing people living their life or are they planning to get in that house and say the system was defective the day of the robery?

Maybe I'm just skeptical paranoid about these things ever since I've read "1984" when I was 12. Big brother is watching our every move on the Internet, and I really don't what "him" to see my every waking moment without my consent.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 09:01 AM
    Home automation has been around for a long time.... and while it is VERY "cool" and has a lot of possibilities. I'm just not sure how common it will be in the near future, as it is still expensive and requires a level of know how. Maybe if some lawmaker forces it on us in the name of energy conservation of something like that. But other wise I think we are a long ways from the average person caring.

Of course I know my electrical company wanted to install a box on my Water Heater so that it only works in off peak times and they'll give me a rebate to do it. Could very well be that at some point we will have to install these smart monitoring devices on our large energy using appliance.... But I think the question of are they securely communicating back to the overloads would be the least of our worries.
    07-14-15 09:30 AM
    I just wanted to add it's really only expensive in some cases and not all IoT is smart fridges

For example I built a three level, hydroponic wall garden in my computer room. It's self sustaining except for water and uses an Arduino and WiFi module to update me. But otherwise takes care of itself.

Altogether it cost me about 200 for the lights. 40 for the electronics. And maybe 140 in pumps, tubes, lumber, trays, bins, growden, etc. In comparison a kit of equal size will run 2-3k without electronics.

It generates enough lettuce for us year round, bags of basil, dill, cilantro, etc. I think if you do true DIY with IoT and not off the shelf thingies, it's a lot of fun, and affordable. I don't know that I would trust anything IoT I didn't code myself though...

IoT mass-scale privacy concerns-img_20150515_091451.jpg

07-14-15 09:42 AM
    I just wanted to add it's really only expensive in some cases and not all IoT is smart fridges

For example I built a three level, hydroponic wall garden in my computer room. It's self sustaining except for water and uses an Arduino and WiFi module to update me. But otherwise takes care of itself.

Altogether it cost me about 200 for the lights. 40 for the electronics. And maybe 140 in pumps, tubes, lumber, trays, bins, growden, etc. In comparison a kit of equal size will run 2-3k without electronics.

It generates enough lettuce for us year round, bags of basil, dill, cilantro, etc. I think if you do true DIY with IoT and not off the shelf thingies, it's a lot of fun, and affordable. I don't know that I would trust anything IoT I didn't code myself though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150515_091451.jpg 
Views:	1866 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	362439

I bet you could make a fortune selling that set up.... lot's of folks like growing their own "produce".
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    07-14-15 09:54 AM
    I bet you could make a fortune selling that set up.... lot's of folks like growing their own "produce".
    My neighbor was not impressed that I'm only growing basil lol

00stryder and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-14-15 01:18 PM
    What can BlackBerry contribute? Are we at the mercy of Google, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft when using these devices?

Nest, Amazon and their IoT ilk spark privacy concerns | CIO

Is this the Telescreen or worse? :-)

Are governments keen to intercept the data flow?
    Are we going to be protected?
    Are there laws, or will it be a technical solution?

  www. CrackDroidChentral .com --- (BB10 NOT dead!)  
    IoT and Ozone depletion are two grave concerns emerging out of technology in last few decades. Are we equipped to learn from our mistakes and take control of our own data in a world that is saturated with sensors !! Perhaps the first step is to be aware of the IoT, and what it can do to us. Perhaps BBRY has can do something!!!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport [ 10.3.2.2339]
    07-14-15 02:33 PM

Cost of labor/time? How much time to do it plus your time to acquire tools and knowledge to muck with the arduino, etc. Few of us have your skills to do this without much reading and playing.

Does it break? Can wife Fix it?

Posted via CB10
    QNX4all likes this.
    07-14-15 03:03 PM

I'm going to forward this to nasa. They're looking for ideas in the Mars projects

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 03:22 PM
    IoT and Ozone depletion are two grave concerns emerging out of technology in last few decades. Are we equipped to learn from our mistakes and take control of our own data in a world that is saturated with sensors !! Perhaps the first step is to be aware of the IoT, and what it can do to us. Perhaps BBRY has can do something!!!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport [ 10.3.2.2339]
    You really should use some emoticons so we know when you are joking around.....

Iot = Ozone Depletion.... yeah right, you got me with that one.

And QNX Momentics is working to help... based on the demos that I saw (think Thor showed them), Momentics was going to really help gathering data.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-14-15 03:51 PM

I guess this would sell well in, *cough* California... ;-)

Glad it's only lettuce.

07-14-15 04:30 PM
    Cost of labor/time? How much time to do it plus your time to acquire tools and knowledge to muck with the arduino, etc. Few of us have your skills to do this without much reading and playing.

Does it break? Can wife Fix it?

Posted via CB10
    It took me about 3 hours to build it. Acquiring tools requires an Internet connection to ebay and but yes you could learn something new - Arduino is pretty basic when it comes to coding.

Nothing has broke the year of running, but if it did, anyone could fix it - especially my wife . Worst case scenario the Arduino fails, in which case I have a basement full of them (they cost about 3 bucks). My friends and my wife are more than capable of flashing an Arduino but ymmv.

If you buy off the shelf electronics you give your privacy to that company. Invest time to do it yourself and you don't. It just comes down to personal choice and willingness.

BCITMike likes this.
    07-14-15 04:45 PM
    Home automation has been around for a long time.... and while it is VERY "cool" and has a lot of possibilities. I'm just not sure how common it will be in the near future, as it is still expensive and requires a level of know how. Maybe if some lawmaker forces it on us in the name of energy conservation of something like that. But other wise I think we are a long ways from the average person caring.

Of course I know my electrical company wanted to install a box on my Water Heater so that it only works in off peak times and they'll give me a rebate to do it. Could very well be that at some point we will have to install these smart monitoring devices on our large energy using appliance.... But I think the question of are they securely communicating back to the overloads would be the least of our worries.
    The problem is the level of trust we have to have in third parties, i.e. corporations and governments, coders, sysadmins, complete strangers with (or without - but rather unlikely) an agenda and often contrary self-interests.

The problem is loss of control of what happens to this "sensor output", like our room temperatures, our conversations, video footage, proximity sensors, etc...
    Is it going to be "our" data, who owns it, who is allowed to use it, and for what purpose? What are our rights if something happens? Who is liable? How much power are we as consumers really losing? And how does it affect the very fabric of our society* - and democracy?

:-\

(low room temperature over a longer period could mean you're away, a hacked server might expose this data or a rogue employee might use it for the wrong thing, sell it, or whatever. There is so much that can be inferred!)

(* it already has: people are already self-censoring what they post on the internet when it comes to more controversial topics. You might be a terrorist after all, or a bigot, or a ....whateverphobe (please insert, new things are made up daily as we go! ))

07-14-15 04:47 PM
    I guess this would sell well in, *cough* California... ;-)

Glad it's only lettuce.

Lol!

Prem WatsApp likes this.
    07-14-15 04:48 PM
    The problem is loss of control of what happens to this "sensor output", like our room temperatures, our conversations, video footage, proximity sensors, etc...
    Is it going to be "our" data, who owns it, who is allowed to use it, and for what purpose? What are our rights if something happens? Who is liable? How much power are we as consumers really losing? And how does it affect the very fabric of our society* - and democracy?
    I absolutely agree but I'm the typical crazy exception to the rule.

Traffic in and out of my home network is crazy restricted, locked to ports and Mac addresses and logged. Anything IoT uses my 3 level encryption methodology and is IP and port restricted...

But I also run security cameras and a complex security system that I maintain ... and I'm a bit paranoid. To your point I think though the average user these days has very little chance of protecting their data. Especially when you look at the NSA firmware level hacks for harddrive controllers that they have used for data logging in DoD clean rooms.

07-14-15 04:53 PM

•   www. CrackDroidChentral .com --- (BB10 NOT dead!)   •
    BlackBerry QNX could easily provide the "brains" of a home IoT system.
    The issue with all of this "from your iOS / Android app" is basically the fault of the product developer.

In the home, you can use Z-wave, ZigBee, WiFi and Bluetooth. Z-wave and ZigBee are usually the best solution for everything except video streaming. They have "brains" that go from free/cheap (Razberry Pi) to not so cheap (paid service required), but all are setup to provide access through the web. So, it would just be a matter of an app developer to provide the connections to the web servers for monitoring/controlling the home networked items without need of a paid/cloud service.

Same things goes for WiFi and Bluetooth in general. An example of this, is the Pebble watch and Talk2Watch. Pebble didn't offer a BlackBerry app, but their API was open to allow the developer to create one.

So, when something only runs on iOS/Android and it has a WiFi or Bluetooth connection, blame the company that sells the product for taking the easier route. It would be nice if BlackBerry would have a dedicated team to push/pull these companies to open their API's or provide a BlackBerry app, but that's not there.

One way that BlackBerry could make a big splash in the home IoT would be to partner with Z-wave and ZigBee and provide a "brains" based on QNX. And if they did it the smart way, they would do it without requiring a service to do the connection to the BlackBerry device, just setup the BlackBerry device to connect via WiFi (BlackBerry Blend / Link) in order to communicate with the "brains". Then BlackBerry could offer the secure IoT Smarthome Controller.
    KermEd likes this.
    07-15-15 12:14 PM
    BlackBerry QNX could easily provide the "brains" of a home IoT system.
    The issue with all of this "from your iOS / Android app" is basically the fault of the product developer.

In the home, you can use Z-wave, ZigBee, WiFi and Bluetooth. Z-wave and ZigBee are usually the best solution for everything except video streaming. They have "brains" that go from free/cheap (Razberry Pi) to not so cheap (paid service required), but all are setup to provide access through the web. So, it would just be a matter of an app developer to provide the connections to the web servers for monitoring/controlling the home networked items without need of a paid/cloud service.

Same things goes for WiFi and Bluetooth in general. An example of this, is the Pebble watch and Talk2Watch. Pebble didn't offer a BlackBerry app, but their API was open to allow the developer to create one.

So, when something only runs on iOS/Android and it has a WiFi or Bluetooth connection, blame the company that sells the product for taking the easier route. It would be nice if BlackBerry would have a dedicated team to push/pull these companies to open their API's or provide a BlackBerry app, but that's not there.

One way that BlackBerry could make a big splash in the home IoT would be to partner with Z-wave and ZigBee and provide a "brains" based on QNX. And if they did it the smart way, they would do it without requiring a service to do the connection to the BlackBerry device, just setup the BlackBerry device to connect via WiFi (BlackBerry Blend / Link) in order to communicate with the "brains". Then BlackBerry could offer the secure IoT Smarthome Controller.
    IoT SmartOffice Controller...?
    :-)

Corporate focus, right? ;-)

  "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-15-15 04:18 PM
    Wouldn't you want your smartphone to be the brains of your home IoT system? Most current connected appliances such as a Nest or Dropcam connect to you home wifi network and are controlled via your smartphone app. My doorbell even works that way and it's a pretty good system with a camera (Skybell).
    07-15-15 05:35 PM
    Wouldn't you want your smartphone to be the brains of your home IoT system? Most current connected appliances such as a Nest or Dropcam connect to you home wifi network and are controlled via your smartphone app. My doorbell even works that way and it's a pretty good system with a camera (Skybell).
    No. You want the brains to be plugged into electrical outlet, without sleeping, and always accessible, with data storage (stats and events recording).

The phone is just for monitoring or configuring the "brains". Otherwise, you are just looking at a dumb/simple sensor and there is no "brains" involved.

The Nest thermostat would be better choice for the "brains" than the cell phone.
    07-15-15 05:39 PM
39 12