Ten scary hacks I saw at Black Hat and DEF CON | CSO Online

So many vulnerabilities, and so little is done to fix and update.

Drones with an open wifi and an open telnet port?
    A hijackable sniper rifle?
    Toasters?
    Fridges?

Looking this and manufacturers carelessness, I'm going to stay away from any IoT products for a fair, fair while. No, I'll wind up my garage door from the inside, with a physical button once it's up...

Can BlackBerry help, or is it just too much work out there and the(ir) resources are spread too thin?

:-D

  BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!  
    08-17-15 09:13 PM
    Add this to the mix.

The free internet is dead, done and pwned... :-(

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobile/133751-att-nsa-*****

AT&T fully cooperating with the three letters...

(edit: due to CB word filtering, the link doesn't work, please replace asterisks with five-letter word for female prostitute, sorry, I didn't choose that title)

heartmoves likes this.
    08-18-15 12:58 AM
    The last sentence in your second linked article(AT&T) is key.

BlackBerry is the live example of that statement.
    08-18-15 01:41 AM
    Add this to the mix.

The free internet is dead, done and pwned... :-(

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobile/133751-att-nsa-*****

AT&T fully cooperating with the three letters...

(edit: due to CB word filtering, the link doesn't work, please replace asterisks with five-letter word for female prostitute, sorry, I didn't choose that title)

Just a quick note: I didn't have to replace the asterisks with the word w*ore. It was added automatically. Obviously the combination of ATT and NSA are synonyms for that word.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    08-18-15 04:43 AM
    Anything sent from a phone unencrypted is open to anyone, who wants to put the time and effort in to snoop. I remember hearing a scanner pick up cell phone conversations back in 1998, and you could tell from the conversations that the people didn't think the conversation was able to be heard. Text message are embedded in the control channels of cellular networks so they to can be easily decoded.

Also don't know if you heard, but there are a whole bunch of religious extremist A holes congregating around the Syria Iraq area that think you should be converted to Muslim or die, and they have been heavily recruiting in the US and other free nations. It is sad there are people like that out there, but I'd rather have someone listening for that stuff to prevent them from doing something like another 9/11, or dirty bomb or whatever, because they are all bat sh1t crazy. There are more important freedoms for me like owning firearms that can be used against a foreign or domestic aggressor that would do me harm that I want protected than eavesdropping on the open airwaves or open Internet trying to prevent crazy people from doing the crazy things that everyone knows what they are trying to do.

You have ways available to you to minimize your exposure and secure your communications, do them if you feel strongly about it and quit whining about eavesdropping because I guarantee if there is another horrible attack all the paranoid people worrying about eavesdropping will be asking why their government didn't do more to protect them! And no here who is championing Google, data collector extraordinaire, or BlackBerry Android phone, better be whining about eavesdropping of their data and communications.

Posted via Z30
    08-18-15 06:23 AM
    Also don't know if you heard, but there are a whole bunch of religious extremist A holes congregating around the Syria Iraq area that think you should be converted to Muslim or die, and they have been heavily recruiting in the US and other free nations. It is sad there are people like that out there, but I'd rather have someone listening for that stuff to prevent them from doing something like another 9/11, or dirty bomb or whatever, because they are all bat sh1t crazy. There are more important freedoms for me like owning firearms that can be used against a foreign or domestic aggressor that would do me harm that I want protected than eavesdropping
    You think that a government which doesn't hesitate to turn the burning eye of Sauron towards the 1st and 4th amendments will spare the 2nd?

In a more civilized age, governments used war to eliminate the sort of threat we see developing in the middle east.

The ability of this threat to recruit in the west is solely the result of flawed immigration policy which allows our enemies to resettle here.
    08-18-15 06:29 AM
    This gets a bit too political here, maybe... :-)

Freedoms and the right to privacy are important for a working democracy. I believe there is a middle way, there are extremists on both sides.

------

This thread was more about the technical side and how little manufacturers actually care to support devices and make them secure.

It's probably caused by the demand for cheap, cheap, cheap tech, because support means man-hours, and those cost money, no matter how cheap you can outsource...

08-18-15 08:18 PM
    A broadband provider in my area is using this totally ironic ad: "Secure your fortress with IOT". Yeah, right.
    08-21-15 08:01 AM