I have had the belief that the company needs to accept that it has lost the hardware market and should focus on software. Specifically, I think that it needs to focus on one industry that could be worth trillions of dollars: the Internet of Things (IoT).

According to research firm IDC, IoT could be a $1.7 trillion market by 2020. And BlackBerry already is making significant pushes into this space. In essence, your car could communicate with your phone the second it needs new oil. And it could even schedule an appointment for you. The IoT is the interconnectedness of billions of devices, big and small, around the world.

BlackBerry has the software to power to do this. In 2010, it bought the operating system QNX, which is already being used in*Ford cars. As more devices come online, BlackBerry will push to have it be the backbone of the hardware. And because you dont want someone being able to hack your car, BlackBerry will be able to sell itself as the secure option for the IoT.

The reality the company is facing is simple. It failed to innovate fast enough in the phone market and Apple won. It now has a chance to innovate in a new sector that is forward thinking. Phones are common; the IoT is fresh and the future of technology. BlackBerry needs to accept that it lost and focus its resources on the IoT. If that happens, I think BlackBerry has a bright future. The Priv may be nice, but its the IoT that will save this company.

σя gσ∂ ѕσ ℓσνє∂ тнє ωσяℓ∂, тнαт нє gανє нιѕ σηℓу вєgσттєη ѕση, тнαт ωнσѕσєνєя вєℓιєνєтн ιη нιм ѕнσυℓ∂ ησт ρєяιѕн, вυт нανє єνєяℓαѕтιηg ℓιє. נσнη 3:16
    11-03-15 07:05 PM
    This isn't exactly a novel idea. Some of the biggest names in tech are moving into this already. It's not about the software. Ideally, one needs to have a dominant position in either Internet (Cisco, IBM, Google, etc.) or Things (Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, GE, etc.) BlackBerry is dominant in neither. Their pitch will be about the security - as it is in mobile.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-03-15 07:52 PM
    Ideally, one needs to have a dominant position in either Internet (Cisco, IBM, Google, etc.) or Things (Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, GE, etc.) BlackBerry is dominant in neither.
    Exactly right. This isn't new information - in fact, it's been exactly John Chen's focus since he arrived (and almost certainly was the BoD's direction before that - they chose Chen for a reason). Chen is a software guy, and they chose a software guy because it was clear, after losing around $8B on the BB10 fiasco, that BB was no longer competitive in the smartphone market, and likely could never catch up enough to make the business viable. And hardware margins for everyone but Apple are thin at best - and it's easy to lose money, as BB continues to do with their phones (they are netting about a $100 loss everytime they sell a phone).

The problem is that BB doesn't really have any other Internet or "Things" (hardware products) to sell, and it's tough to get people to pay extra to a third party for stuff you already own, or are getting from someone else. That's why Chen has stated in the past that, while BB may well exit the smartphone business, he plans to keep BB involved in hardware of some type, because he can't really sell the kind of software BB offers without a piece of hardware to go with it.

But don't assume that this means consumer-focused hardware - I suspect that BB will move into the realm of "business IoT gateways" or things similar to the Apple "beacon" in stores. He'll want to stick with something with a fairly high profit margin, not something geared towards consumers with tons of competition, expensive advertising, and low margins.

Now, the question is: will CBers care about this BB? Probably not - no more than WebOS fans care about HP right now. Most CBers, despite their talk, don't really care about BB as a company - they only care about BB as a smartphone manufacturer, and if they stop making smartphones, then they will be dead to most folks here, even if the company itself continues for years to come.

Of course, I strongly suspect that, at this point, the BoD is hoping to build some value in BB so that they can sell the company to someone else and get their investment back (or at least, most of it). I'm not convinced that the BoD has a 10-year plan for BB.
    JohnQQ365 likes this.
    11-03-15 08:40 PM
    Actually they do have an "internet" type asset in the form of their noc, the world wide bb network with connections to hundreds of mobile carriers globally and it is secure as well as vast.

Leveraging that network together with an os or secure api's to access it will allow those with "things" they wanted "internetted" to do so.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 08:48 PM
    I have a dream that one day all the appliances and stuff like remote door openers and such would be BBM pin enabled and on my BBM I have my "things" added as contacts where I could send preset instructions to them and get updates on status from those "things". Subscription to secure BBM would be a no brainer then for anyone. A way to monetize BBM in a big way. For innovators it should be made really easy to integrate so that they don't require elaborate app development for all different platforms and such..

When that could be made possible is anyone's guess, but if anyone has a lead and all the right components to make this happen, it is BlackBerry....

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 09:35 PM
    At some point, won't you need some sort of device to interact with your other IoT-enabled devices whether it be your appliances in your house or manufacturing and shipping in a factory?

Was envisioning a world where IoT-enabled devices using QNX seemlessly communicated too BlackBerry phones due to sodtware integration. "Oh look, my fridge is telling me it needs a new water filter."

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 06:10 AM
    At some point, won't you need some sort of device to interact with your other IoT-enabled devices whether it be your appliances in your house or manufacturing and shipping in a factory?
    Do you mean a smartphone? There are lots of those and 99% of them are not BlackBerries. You could even get by with having the apps like Facebook or Amazon. Why would you need a stand-alone device? What capabilities would it need that a smart phone couldn't provide? The smart phone has the cellular data plan.
    11-04-15 06:26 AM
    Do you mean a smartphone? There are lots of those and 99% of them are not BlackBerries. You could even get by with having the apps like Facebook or Amazon. Why would you need a stand-alone device? What capabilities would it need that a smart phone couldn't provide? The smart phone has the cellular data plan.
    I meant equipment that would be internet-enabled like kitchen appliances, shipping containers, etc. Perhaps that stuff is already out there, but I was referring to a phone as the "hub" for other equipment to report back to. IoT is not simply Web pages.

I had posted previously about it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...hones-1038933/

From Tre's comments, the idea isn't realistic. But I am always interested in everyone's views.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 06:32 AM
    He is setting BlackBerry up to be bought one day. Bottom line.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 06:54 AM
    He is setting BlackBerry up to be bought one day. Bottom line.

Posted via CB10
    There are many companies that are takeover targets...

Dell buying EMC was a rather unexpected mega-deal, so no one bar the three gorillas are safe! (MS, GOOG, AAPL)

:-)

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-04-15 06:31 PM
    I meant equipment that would be internet-enabled like kitchen appliances, shipping containers, etc. Perhaps that stuff is already out there, but I was referring to a phone as the "hub" for other equipment to report back to. IoT is not simply Web pages.

I had posted previously about it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...hones-1038933/

From Tre's comments, the idea isn't realistic. But I am always interested in everyone's views.

Posted via CB10
    I think pretty similarly to you, but of a different take. Here was my take on it as OP.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1028838

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:47 PM
    I meant equipment that would be internet-enabled like kitchen appliances, shipping containers, etc. Perhaps that stuff is already out there, but I was referring to a phone as the "hub" for other equipment to report back to.
    I doubt that there is a manufacturer of anything that hasn't considered connecting it to the internet: refrigerator, oven, shipping container, shoes, etc. Companies like Dropcam purchased by Nest purchased by Google are already connecting their camera, smoke alarm, thermostat info and using their smartphone apps as hubs. Google, the company that has the Internet, is buying the companies that have the Things. I don't see that BlackBerry has much of a presence in either.
    11-05-15 01:04 PM
    I have a dream that one day all the appliances and stuff like remote door openers and such would be BBM pin enabled and on my BBM I have my "things" added as contacts where I could send preset instructions to them and get updates on status from those "things". Subscription to secure BBM would be a no brainer then for anyone. A way to monetize BBM in a big way. For innovators it should be made really easy to integrate so that they don't require elaborate app development for all different platforms and such..

When that could be made possible is anyone's guess, but if anyone has a lead and all the right components to make this happen, it is BlackBerry....

Posted via CB10
    If anyone has a lead and all the right components to make this happen, it is Google.
    11-06-15 08:21 AM