"IOS in the car": your phone on four wheels | Canoe

With "iOS in the Car", Apple unveils a new service that aims at replacing some new cars infotainment functions with applications from its iPhone. With the imminent launch of a new pair of iPhones, get ready to see several car manufacturers promote their compatibility with this new service.

Thus, the LCD display taking pride of place on the center console of your next car could share traits with an iPhone screen when connected to that device. The iPods music playback, Maps navigation, messaging and Siri voice control apps, among others, would immediately replace the manufacturers automatically installed counterparts.

We have already seen a very early example of this integration at General Motors, which announced the first such agreement with Apple through its subsidiary, Chevrolet, earlier this year. Upon presenting the next generation of its iOS 7 mobile software, Apple added a dozen brands to its list of partners.

These include Acura, Ferrari, Kia, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Opel and Volvo.

These agreements will become gradually effective in 2014 but for Apple, this is a strategic move as Microsoft, Sony and even Google are now getting orders from the surprisingly lucrative on-board electronics market.

iOS 7 and new iPhone handsets are expected this fall. Well certainly know more about the iOS in the Car service at that time.
    09-18-13 11:49 PM
    QNX is the platform of choice and not an app or service unlike iOS for car. Qnx is the real time embedded OS that can power A to Z in a car from ignition control to in-car controls and infotainment is just one of its offering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-18-13 11:58 PM
    Ios needs qnx to run....so no.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 12:11 AM
    Ios needs qnx to run....so no.
    I agree. It's not that the infotainment system would be running iOS. It's just integrated with the user's iOS device, and presents an iOS interface on the screen. I think the underlying infotainment system would still be running QNX, or whatever the case may be, but the user would see a UI that extends what's on their iPhone.

If you saw Eddie Cue's presentation, the integration is pretty impressive, a major step beyond the BMW iPhone integration they called "BMW Apps"
    09-19-13 12:21 AM
    This speaks to BlackBerry's branding problem with QNX. It speaks to the notion that BlackBerry is better suited as a services company than anything else. It is all about consumer recognition. Apple doesn't care about what's needed to run the infotainment as long as their name is linked to the in-car experience. It's all about selling units to consumers. Who cares about what company makes the insides of a phone; they care about the phone brand. QNX has made its case as an operating system - an enabler and not a manufacturer of consumer products. It's the reason why having QNX on BlackBerry devices doesn't sell phones but it does sell OS to the car industry.

Posted via CB10
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    09-19-13 12:38 AM
    QNX is the platform of choice and not an app or service unlike iOS for car. Qnx is the real time embedded OS that can power A to Z in a car from ignition control to in-car controls and infotainment is just one of its offering.
    True, but remember that RIM bought 100% of QNX for $200 million just over 3 years ago, so powering car systems from A to Z doesn't appear to be a very lucrative business.
    09-19-13 01:20 AM
    Prior to launch of bb10 in late 2012, when RIM/thor talked about qnx and mobile computing, what I understood from that was basically what apple is doing..."Bb10 in the car".

A compatibility of sorts by the very nature of its design. That, unfortunately, hasn't happened and it makes me sad. It could still be done, and can probably be monetized, so i have to ask myself, what's blackberry doing, if anything, to make it happen?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 01:33 AM
    Prior to launch of bb10 in late 2012, when RIM/thor talked about qnx and mobile computing, what I understood from that was basically what apple is doing..."Bb10 in the car".
    Apple has been working on this for a very long time. The BMW Apps project was the early version of this, and that project started around 2009 IIRC. It was available on certain models by 2011. I know Jobs had been talking to Volkswagen even before that.

I know BlackBerry did that demo with a Porsche that I saw once. I think there was also a demo done with a Bentley? I saw "a Porsche" and "a Bentley" because I don't know if Volkswagen was actually involved in those demos? I wonder what they did next?
    09-19-13 01:45 AM
    True, but remember that RIM bought 100% of QNX for $200 million just over 3 years ago, so powering car systems from A to Z doesn't appear to be a very lucrative business.
    QNX is more than just cars.

Rumor has it, that 10.3 will have more Machine to Machine (M2M) functionality. Having QNX in 100's of devices and machines already will be a great way for BlackBerry to make the next jump in smart phone technology.
    09-19-13 08:20 AM
    I know BlackBerry did that demo with a Porsche that I saw once. I think there was also a demo done with a Bentley? I saw "a Porsche" and "a Bentley" because I don't know if Volkswagen was actually involved in those demos? I wonder what they did next?

Mercedes -Benz

But, those are just the concept cars. The list of cars without QNX is shorter than the one with.
    09-19-13 08:26 AM
    QNX is more than just cars.

Rumor has it, that 10.3 will have more Machine to Machine (M2M) functionality. Having QNX in 100's of devices and machines already will be a great way for BlackBerry to make the next jump in smart phone technology.
    That actually strengthens my argument, which is that the car business described in the post I quoted isn't worth much. Remember, RIM paid $200 million for the whole company, so saying it has multiple business that were collectively worth $200 million suggests the car segment is worth only a fraction of that.
    mikeo007 and CairnsRock like this.
    09-19-13 09:22 AM
    Anyone who has been a supplier to the automotive industry over the past couple of decades knows that they aren't going to pay a premium price for anything. It wasn't that long ago that the US auto makers, who needed to be bailed out by the government, mandated across the board price cuts to all their suppliers. That's why so many parts in your car seem to be unnecessarily cheap.

Furthermore, users don't care what OS is running in their car infotainment system. However, I do think they care about what the UI looks like - preferably one that works like their smartphone does. I seriously doubt they are looking for a smartphone that looks and works like their car system.
    09-19-13 09:33 AM
    Anyone who has been a supplier to the automotive industry over the past couple of decades knows that they aren't going to pay a premium price for anything. It wasn't that long ago that the US auto makers, who needed to be bailed out by the government, mandated across the board price cuts to all their suppliers. That's why so many parts in your car seem to be unnecessarily cheap.

Furthermore, users don't care what OS is running in their car infotainment system. However, I do think they care about what the UI looks like - preferably one that works like their smartphone does. I seriously doubt they are looking for a smartphone that looks and works like their car system.
    It's not abt that BBRY is looking to leverage it's NOC for connected cars. In 5 years 90% of the cars sold will be connected cars and BBRY's NOC can bring the value add when combined with QNX

Sent from my HTC first using CB Forums mobile app
    09-19-13 09:50 AM

The list of cars without QNX is shorter than the one with.
    QNX does have a full infotainment system that they would love manufacturers to use. But from what I've seen it is only being used in by either small companies that only produce a few hundred cars a year, or companies that use it only in their concept cars to show what might be possible. When it comes to mass production, most big car manufacturers are partnering with another software company that will use the basic building blocks that QNX provides and will build custom infotainment systems from these. QNX is a part of millions of cars, but they are only a very small part and they hardly ever get mention, except for when they release an announcement about a partnership.

I doubt that a BB10 powered device is going to interface any differently with most of these systems than any other bluetooth/wi-fi/NFC/dockstation enabled device will. And if a manufacturer is being smart about it, he will actually want better integration with the devices that have the biggest portion of the market.

As for M2M functionality.... I'm thinking most people would rather have Instagram.
    h20work likes this.
    09-19-13 10:00 AM
    But from what I've seen it is only being used in by either small companies that only produce a few hundred cars a year, or companies that use it only in their concept cars to show what might be possible. When it comes to mass production, most big car manufacturers are partnering with another software company that will use the basic building blocks that QNX provides and will build custom infotainment systems from these.
    Year old article, so I don't know where this is at the moment.
    Chrysler UConnect will run BlackBerry apps.

However, I don't think Chrysler uses a third party to make UConnect, I believe they work directly with QNX. The same goes for OnStar.
    09-19-13 10:30 AM
    There's no challenge or competition here. QNX is running the internals, iOS is running the end-user UI. The two work together, and can also work completely devoid of each other.
    09-19-13 11:19 AM
    I think if anything this proves the opportunities for QNX are enormous, it can run both the top mobile platforms within an embedded system than can be updated securely OTA.

I believe if i was an auto manufacturer, this would check all boxes haha and it could not be cheap for them, but if it is flexible for now and the future they WILL pay the premium, trust me, im in the business of designing and installing flexible manufacturing systems for the big 3

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 04:34 PM
    QNX is big in embedded. The thing is, embedded doesn't make a lot of money. You're talking about tiny computers. Windows costs about $100 for the pro version per license. A license for QNX for an embedded system is in the cents. That's right, not even a dollar. That's why it's not a big deal. As for iOS replacing QNX in cars? No. The simple fact is, iOS is not designed for embedded, it's way too big.

Now... it's possible for QNX to charge more for a license, maybe something like $10. Of course then you run into Windows CE and Linux embedded. If you charge more than a few cents for a license, people will just move to Linux. Simple as that. Cost conscious car manufacturers will just switch. The QNX will only be found on stuff like nuclear power plants.
    09-21-13 01:22 AM
    Qnx is not bb10. Nor does bb10 make the OS somehow unique so that only it can connect to cars and not iOS, android, etc. People need to get this pipe dream idea out of their head that some time in the near future there will be an update that allows our bb10 devices to connect to the Qnx world around us but everyone else is left out
    09-21-13 01:32 AM
    QNX is big in embedded. The thing is, embedded doesn't make a lot of money. You're talking about tiny computers. Windows costs about $100 for the pro version per license. A license for QNX for an embedded system is in the cents. That's right, not even a dollar. That's why it's not a big deal. As for iOS replacing QNX in cars? No. The simple fact is, iOS is not designed for embedded, it's way too big.

Now... it's possible for QNX to charge more for a license, maybe something like $10. Of course then you run into Windows CE and Linux embedded. If you charge more than a few cents for a license, people will just move to Linux. Simple as that. Cost conscious car manufacturers will just switch. The QNX will only be found on stuff like nuclear power plants.
    So QNX in cars is worth only a few cents per car. That explains why there is no significant revenue stream. And another load of malarkey from Thor.
    09-21-13 01:39 AM
    How important will QNX be going forward? Will BBRY hype it more to drum up their value or is it really not worth it for most potential buyers? If QNX is not bought and is lost (a hypothetical worst case scenario), who would step in their place in this particular application?
    09-21-13 08:33 AM
    How important will QNX be going forward? Will BBRY hype it more to drum up their value or is it really not worth it for most potential buyers? If QNX is not bought and is lost (a hypothetical worst case scenario), who would step in their place in this particular application?
    QNX will be bought, their future is pretty secure.

That said I don't expect BBRY shareholders will get much for it.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 06:57 PM

my cousin works for a medical equipment company and she is a s/w developer on the project, as per her they use QNX and a single license of QNX Neutrino costed them $15,000. 15 grand is not cheap by any means. If you don't believe me you can contact QNX for the pricing
    09-22-13 07:06 PM
    my cousin works for a medical equipment company and she is a s/w developer on the project, as per her they use QNX and a single license of QNX Neutrino costed them $15,000
    Yes, but once the license is paid, they're allowed to distribute X quantity. If you sell Windows laptops and want to distribute 1000 copies of Windows, you have to pay MS about $100,000 for the Pro version. For $15,000, you can probably distribute 100,000 units of software using QNX or perhaps even unlimited. You can't do that with Windows.
    09-22-13 07:10 PM
    You have got to be smoking something good if you think $15,000 will give you unlimited or even 100,000 licenses.
    09-23-13 02:23 AM