07-07-12 10:47 AM
52 123
tools
    I found an interview with Vic Alboini in the German Handelsblatt. It is one of the major new papers with a focus on economics.

Here's the link: RIM-Aktionr Alboini:

Long story short, Alboini thinks that Thorsten is the wrong person as CEO. It requires someone with experience in restructuring. According to him, Thorsten is an engineer.
    Furthermore, Alboini wants split up and sell parts of the company.

Regarding Thorsten, I can only agree to this view. I always saw Thorsten as part of the problem. He was part of the old management and frankly, he did not change a lot since his arrival.
    07-03-12 03:02 PM
    Really the i_doit from Jaguar Financial demanding someone be fired at RIM. BIG SURPRISE.

Also, Jaguar Financial is a not major of a shareholder in RIM
    07-03-12 03:07 PM
    I disagree that he did not change a lot. RIM by all accounts is much more transparent and approachable than it was under the old executive. They also seem to be--generally--doing a better job of setting and meeting targets. Yes, I include the BB10 launch in that; a 1-quarter delay isn't the end of the world, and I think they shared the news of that delay as soon as they were practically able.

I also don't quite buy the notion that a former COO wouldn't have some experience in restructuring. I'm gonna keep whistling right on through the graveyard and say that the f2013 Q2 earnings will show some stabilization.
    07-03-12 03:09 PM
    I'm so sick of that Jaguar group. Somebody needs to put it in a cage and ship it back to the Amazon.
    07-03-12 03:17 PM
    I wouldn't be concerned too much with what he says. Yeah it gets press but not too many on Bay St. pay attention to him.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-03-12 03:29 PM
    I also don't quite buy the notion that a former COO wouldn't have some experience in restructuring. I'm gonna keep whistling right on through the graveyard and say that the f2013 Q2 earnings will show some stabilization.
    I could agree if it wouldn't be Thorsten. He worked for Siemens Mobile. From my point of view, enough of resons not to hire him as CEO.
    07-03-12 03:33 PM
    Normally, installing a new CEO means massive disruption in whatever processes that were already in place . The new CEO usually believes that he/she was put there because *everything* that was going on was wrong, due to poor decision making by his/her predecessor. A new RIM CEO would have killed all existing projects, laid off a bunch of people, and taken the company into restructuring. RIM was already in a bad place and I think we can pretty much agree that BB10 needed to be completed, not suspended. A new RIM CEO might have gone with Windows or Android. While this might have pleased the financial markets in the near term, I think most of us can agree that it would have eliminated our desire to buy another RIM phone. BB10 is what will make RIM unique in the mobile space and why we're still waiting for it.
    07-03-12 04:31 PM
    Just curious, what has Thorsten done since he became CEO?
    07-03-12 04:34 PM
    I could agree if it wouldn't be Thorsten. He worked for Siemens Mobile. From my point of view, enough of resons not to hire him as CEO.
    Exactly. He's got quite the checkered history. And Mike L handpicked him. That should tell you something.
    07-03-12 04:35 PM
    Just curious, what has Thorsten done since he became CEO?
    He's "announced" lots of stuff. He's also had to backtrack and REDO all those announcements after he fluffed the first ones.
    Shlooky likes this.
    07-03-12 04:37 PM
    Give the guy a chance. I think he came into this company at the worst possible time and he has been able to uplift morale and developers as well as fans of BlackBerry. Let's let him do his job and stop ragging on him. We will know soon enough if he can't deliver and then you can "have at him".
    07-03-12 05:07 PM
    perhaps Jaguar should stick to companies they like and use the sell button if not, and besides this is an old story, they easily could have sold at a share price twice as high, so who is to blame for that? Heins? or Jaguar themselves?
    07-03-12 05:19 PM
    Thorsten, HARDWARE GOES TO ASIA. You pick up the phone, call Asus, Wintek, etc and you tell them what you want. It sad, but its the only way to get top notch hardware specs. Dont do it in house.

Also, call Samsung, HTC and license BB10. That is the other thing shareholders want to see.

RIM, under him, wont do this. It take cohones....
    the_sleuth likes this.
    07-03-12 05:24 PM
    Albioni?....isn't he a corporate drive by shooter. Just a gangster in a fancy suit is what he is.
    07-03-12 05:36 PM
    What's good for a RIM investor may not be what's best for the future of BlackBerry...
    grover5 likes this.
    07-03-12 05:38 PM
    Thorsten, HARDWARE GOES TO ASIA. You pick up the phone, call Asus, Wintek, etc and you tell them what you want. It sad, but its the only way to get top notch hardware specs. Dont do it in house.

Also, call Samsung, HTC and license BB10. That is the other thing shareholders want to see.

RIM, under him, wont do this. It take cohones....
    Hardware is already being sourced from Asia, like the Playbook and most likely, the Dev Alpha devices.

Why would Samsung or HTC license an OS in beta?

You're more disconnected from what's going on than Thorsten.
    ADGrant likes this.
    07-03-12 05:38 PM
    Wouldn't you be upset if the change in management didn't do what YOU wanted?

'He must be wrong because he hasn't proved my hunch about what is needed right.'
    07-03-12 06:03 PM
    Hardware is already being sourced from Asia, like the Playbook and most likely, the Dev Alpha devices.

Why would Samsung or HTC license an OS in beta?

You're more disconnected from what's going on than Thorsten.
    This is not the full picture. My 9860 was made in Mexico. Those 5000 employees, with pink slips, are not all in Canada.
    07-03-12 07:04 PM
    This is not the full picture. My 9860 was made in Mexico. Those 5000 employees, with pink slips, are not all in Canada.
    Correct, some were in the US, Latin America, and Europe.
    07-03-12 07:30 PM
    He took over a very bad situation and has only been in charge for 6 months...

Give him a little more time...

You can't just put a new guy at the top and expect fairy dust to fix everything...
    maddie1128, Stewartj1 and BBPandy like this.
    07-03-12 07:59 PM

You can't just put a new guy at the top and expect fairy dust to fix everything...
    Thor needs to have a conference call with Carlos Ghosn of Renault/Nissan fame.
    07-03-12 08:08 PM

From my sources, Thorsten has been the C00 for over 4 years and had the majority of the development organization for BBOS and BB10 reporting to him even before he was CEO.

He is not new.
    07-03-12 08:11 PM
    From my sources, Thorsten has been the C00 for over 4 years and had the majority of the development organization for BBOS and BB10 reporting to him even before he was CEO.

He is not new.
    I can't figure out why people keep saying he is "new", the only thing he is "new" at is being CEO.

Oh, props for calling the delay in bb10. I heard some of the same things, but tried to remain optimistic
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-03-12 08:17 PM
    However, in one year, Nissan's net profit climbed to $2.7 billion from a loss of $6.1 billion in the previous year. Twelve months into his three-year turnaround plan, Ghosn had Nissan back in the black, and within three years it was one of the industry's most profitable auto makers, with operating margins consistently above 9% -- more than twice the industry average.
    It's been 6 months...

BB10 will should be out 9 months into his leadership...

Patience my friend
    07-03-12 08:21 PM
    They can probably dump their manufacturing employees around the world and outsource the work to Foxconn etc. without harming the core employees all that much.
    07-03-12 08:25 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD