<a href="http://bbmobile.me/CBKEY2BLtopic?utm_source=cb&amp;utm_medium=topicblock&amp;utm_campaign=navigation" target="_blank">Shop BlackBerry KEY2</a>
09-30-13 04:44 PM
80 1234
tools
    I'd love to believe all this.

But if I bring my Z10 and Q10 to my job tomorrow and post a picture of them, would it give people hope that the venue I work at, owned by a large corporation, is considering deploying BlackBerry 10?????

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 04:52 AM
    The problem IMO with "Just port the Android app, takes just 5 minutes!" is a bit more complicated. You'll need to support the app. You'll need to maintain it. You are a big name company and the quality of your prime app is your figurehead. IIRC the first released Android version of Instagram wasn't a decent one either and I guess they've learned from their mistakes.

They might just want to support a plattform the right, decent way and not just have some dude with 5 minutes of spare time port the app and send it to BlackBerry World for review.

Regarding the Twitter conversations it looks like the dev just tries to make the life of sideloading Instagram fans easier, which is a good thing. Even if he works for Instagram, he just can't go ahead release anything semi-official (like what seemed to happen with Flipboard first) for Instagram and call it a day - unless he wants to keep his job. He can however help BlackBerry, in his free time, to iron or at least point out the bugs in the Android Runtime, which prevent a sideloaded Instagram from working at full potential. Because there he is neither representing Instagram, nor working on their behalfs. It is a good thing to have commited people like him, who at least are trying to help.

If Instagram would be really interested in other plattforms, they could also just re-word their API ploicies and finally allow a number of 3rd party devs (like happened on Windows Phone) to allow uploads on their own apps. I mean we already have decent and even native Instagram apps, they just don't get this damn uploading permission they need to make it fully functional.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    09-28-13 05:25 AM
    I'd love to believe all this.

But if I bring my Z10 and Q10 to my job tomorrow and post a picture of them, would it give people hope that the venue I work at, owned by a large corporation, is considering deploying BlackBerry 10?????
    Whoa, that was low.....
    09-28-13 06:05 AM
    Millions of BB users is hardly a dead platform I expect that there is something more political about the decision that what is probably a relatively low cost to port and support the app running on BB.
    xiaohuaxing and bombastic like this.
    09-28-13 06:54 AM
    Millions of BB users is hardly a dead platform I expect that there is something more political about the decision that what is probably a relatively low cost to port and support the app running on BB.
    How many millions are there exactly? Even BlackBerry itself just proved to be very careful when stating any actual sales figures for BB10 during their latest quartal earnings yesterday. It seems like numbers aren't as high as many expected them to be.
    Then of course there is Windows Phone, which obviously has a larger userbase than BB10 and still doesn't have an official Instagram application.

Don't get me wrong, I am still with most people here. Even if "we" are just 5 million BB10 users and even if just half of them would use Instagram, it would still be 2.5 million more users they could get with a single strike. They could even get more for users who haven't used their service and might just give it a try - users like myself. However it still seems to be more interesting to simply skip these millions of users and keep on concentrating on the rest of the market.
    09-28-13 07:17 AM
    I know this is CB but some people need to come to the realization the platform is dead. This is like the last days of WebOS. The pile of cash is disappearing fast. Only a matter of time before that's gone as well. Then what?
    No more posts from people who do not own large companies but can tell when they are for surely going under :/

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    09-28-13 07:33 AM
    Young people are so funny. They think whatever is in vogue today is the end all of everything and they think whatever business is at the top of whatever they do will stay at the top.

Can't wait until the young people have children and the children laugh at the parents pictures with silly looking clothes and goofy hair styles holding devices that don't exist made by companies that don't do business anymore.

Posted via CB10 | Owner Squircle of Trust Channel | PIN 00120C87
    I'm 38 and enjoy Instagram. Where does that place me on your little superior scale?
    turbodmac likes this.
    09-28-13 09:37 AM
    Tell the mofo to port the app to BlackBerry World.... takes 5 mins...

Posted via CB10
    And get fired from a well paying job LOL, Instagram won't develop any application for a dying market and no they won't do an easy port which does not meet their Application quality standards.
    09-28-13 10:43 AM
    Because it isn't worth their time?
    I don't know. People love wasting time on pointless endeavours like hating BlackBerry and BlackBerry devices and constantly posting on BlackBerry fan discussion forums. Toxic attitudes and motivations are everywhere, evidently.

I think it's clear that time isn't the issue: porting the Android app to BB could be done in a matter of minutes.

Anyone who has credible reasons why Instagram doesn't want to support BlackBerry beyond "we're focused on Android and iOS", well, I'm sure all of us would like to hear them, but time nor money are the reasons, because as of yet, Instagram is free so there's no money to be made or lost, and as noted, there would be little time required.

I'd suggest that if every single BlackBerry user, both BB10 and BBOS threatened to quit FaceBook in protest, something might happen... but too few people care about this issue to really be a threat to FaceBook, so we have no leverage.

I remain puzzled as to why, but I know that BB10 offers me and others a lot more beyond Instagram than what iOS or Android plus Instagram offers. I doubt that those who count Instagram among the absolutely essential apps for their chosen platform are in BlackBerry's short-term marketing plans anyway, but of course it would be great if it was on the platform.

My opinion for Instagram being holdouts for both BB and WP is simple: developers don't want to have to support multiple platforms: if every single mobile device ran a single OS, it would lower their development costs commensurately. Instagram started on iOS and it was a lot of lobbying to get it onto Android but it finally arrived when it was clear that to not support Android was to risk irrelevance even in the short term.

There is no risk to irrelevance to not supporting BB10 or Windows Phone at this time.

But even that's not the real issue. Because the cost, effort and time outlay would be so insignificant, there isn't really a rational reason why Instagram isn't on BB10... that only leaves irrational reasons.

Personally, I just think the management of Instagram are, how can I say this... "fans of Boy Genius Report". There. That's it.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-28-13 at 11:38 AM.
    09-28-13 11:25 AM
    Again, your grasp of the language is fleeting at best.
    Little is not none
    I'd rather a little bit of money than no money.
    09-28-13 12:18 PM
    I'm 38 and enjoy Instagram. Where does that place me on your little superior scale?
    Again don't understand how pointing out facts of life is elitist.

Number one. I have pictures of my self with 1980 clothes on

Number two. I was holding a Sony Walkman.

So to recap.

My child thinks the 1980 clothing is funny looking.

Where is the Sony Walkman now?

So the points I made are large companies in history have been leaders for a period of time and then Not relevant or even Not in business.

Style and in vogue trends come and go.

Young people by the very nature of being young can't really understand the experiences of older people. That point is not elitist or superior, just a fact of life.

To the point of your age I personally can't say how you view your life experiences. I'd have to say only you know where along in life you feel you are. Life is a journey that everyone travels at their own pace. I would assume that you have started to view some of life's experiences with a different point of view from say when you were 17. But then again maybe not, I for one do. Life changes people, I can't honestly say I knew what being a father was all about until I became one.

As for companies I was just looking to buy myself a Datsun 240Z.

Oh, wait a minute that car maker doesn't make cars anymore and to think that car was extremely popular. What the heck happened they were like the best two seater cars.

Edit: I use Instagram. My original post didn't say I don't use it nor said anything bad about it.

habs_fan likes this.
    09-28-13 01:21 PM
    I guess your reference to young people being funny sounds a bit belittling to those who want Instagram. Those funny youngsters are also the majority of smartphone purchasers. 18-34 year olds are the majority demographic of buyers, also the most likely to upgrade or change phones mid contract. So fad, en vogue, or whatever it is very relevant to the game. I'm not saying BB didn't try, I won't even speculate as to why it didn't make to BB10, but I'll throw it in the box of coffin nails with the BBM launch, bad US launch, Playbook fiasco and other fanfare.

I remain puzzled as to why, but I know that BB10 offers me and others a lot more beyond Instagram than what iOS or Android plus Instagram offers. I doubt that those who count Instagram among the absolutely essential apps for their chosen platform are in BlackBerry's short-term marketing plans anyway, but of course it would be great if it was on the platform.
    Yeah BB10 is great and has a lot to offer but the competition is also closing the gap where BB was ahead. This only starts to highlight the "app gap". BlackBerrys short term is becoming much shorter now.
    And another thing, from what I've observed around here, the "old school" diehards -those who are still rocking Bolds, held off the longest, or are still holding out, and those that did switch did nothing but complain about how if was different and did work the way BBOS did!
    Last edited by turbodmac; 09-28-13 at 04:54 PM. Reason: fixed a quote
    09-28-13 02:02 PM
    So if it wasn't in the works in a quarter that showed decent platform growth, you think it'll be in the works after the platform is declining?
    I agree it (instagram) won't be released - confirmed by A. Saunders - but one can't simply go by that in my opinion. By that I mean the quarterly performance of BlackBerry 10 as a platform.

WordPress for BlackBerry 10 (native) is just now out or coming. There are bound to be more apps trickling out just from the sheer fact that by now they are 98% finished and the companies figure push it on out anyway.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    09-28-13 02:07 PM
    It was a joke and he/she didn't get it... you don't have to explain yourself haha. Or possibly they're joking back. Hard to tell. These things help in situations like this lol ->
    09-28-13 02:07 PM
    09-28-13 03:24 PM
    It was a joke and he/she didn't get it... you don't have to explain yourself haha. Or possibly they're joking back. Hard to tell. These things help in situations like this lol ->
    I was thinking no one understand the joke. Thanks for letting me know you did. I was beginning to think I have become to old to make jokes.

Hahahahaha

09-28-13 03:26 PM
    LOL at the "it takes only minutes to port" refrain.

Seriously, it shows a basic lack of understanding of that whole end of the business.

Y'all will be the same ones complaining about lack of updates, buggy software and lack of parity with other platforms.

For the umpteenth time, app development doesn't stop at publishing an app. If you think it is, I invite you to negotiate with folks like Instagram on behalf of BBRY.

LOL.
    09-28-13 07:34 PM

Number one. I have pictures of my self with 1980 clothes on

Number two. I was holding a Sony Walkman.

So to recap.

My child thinks the 1980 clothing is funny looking.

Where is the Sony Walkman now?

So the points I made are large companies in history have been leaders for a period of time and then Not relevant or even Not in business.

Young people by the very nature of being young can't really understand the experiences of older people. That point is not elitist or superior, just a fact of life.

To the point of your age I personally can't say how you view your life experiences. I'd have to say only you know where along in life you feel you are. Life is a journey that everyone travels at their own pace. I would assume that you have started to view some of life's experiences with a different point of view from say when you were 17. But then again maybe not, I for one do. Life changes people, I can't honestly say I knew what being a father was all about until I became one.

As for companies I was just looking to buy myself a Datsun 240Z.

Oh, wait a minute that car maker doesn't make cars anymore and to think that car was extremely popular. What the heck happened they were like the best two seater cars.

Edit: I use Instagram. My original post didn't say I don't use it nor said anything bad about it.

Umm Datsun is still around. They just changed the name to it's parent Nissan in 1986. Also they just relaunched Datsun as a new line for emerging markets.
    240Z was a great car. It's evolved into the 370Z
    09-28-13 11:46 PM
    It's coming to bb10 next month
    09-29-13 12:02 AM
    To be honest I wouldn't make the app either, it wouldn't function properly on bb10 even if it was native, it needs to work as a headless app for proper messaging and notification and we don't have that. Perhaps instagram is waiting on BlackBerry to make a full featured platform first.
    A few strategically placed "I think" statements would really have been a good idea in your quoted post.

You evidently don't remember, or are unaware, of how WhatsApp first came to the BB10. It was an Android sideload, it didn't need to run constantly, yet it still threw notifications in the Hub.

Fast forward. WhatsApp - native, headless, hub notifications. In fact, Facebook, email, texts, twitter, and BBM are ALL nothing more than apps that run headless and notify whenever a message comes in.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 12:23 AM
    FWIW, I know Ritesh and while he'd love to see Instagram on BlackBerry 10, it's just not happening officially right now. You all are reading just a bit too much into this information and you will be let down if you hype yourselves up. The best option BlackBerry 10 has right now is not coming from the inside, it's coming from outside and it still has a ways to go before it gets off the ground - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-10-a-855121/
    09-29-13 03:22 AM
    I know this is CB but some people need to come to the realization the platform is dead. This is like the last days of WebOS. The pile of cash is disappearing fast. Only a matter of time before that's gone as well. Then what?
    It is curious that yesterday in an ATT store, I asked about the Z30. Was told by sales person that yes and he had played with one that day. Further that he liked it. His body language confirmed that too. Could it be that BB survives?
    09-29-13 04:11 AM
    Umm Datsun is still around. They just changed the name to it's parent Nissan in 1986. Also they just relaunched Datsun as a new line for emerging markets.
    240Z was a great car. It's evolved into the 370Z

Point is still valid regardless.
    09-29-13 01:20 PM
    Seriously, it shows a basic lack of understanding of that whole end of the business.
    Your post has such strong wording and courage of your convictions that people might think you know what you're talking about and are not grossly oversimplifying the issues for your own amusement. Try to be more careful about that in the future, will you?

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-29-13 02:20 PM
    It is curious that yesterday in an ATT store, I asked about the Z30. Was told by sales person that yes and he had played with one that day. Further that he liked it. His body language confirmed that too. Could it be that BB survives?

Yes, if all it took was this one employee to have a favorable impression of the Z30

Still better than the negative responses people get from sales reps. It would be nice if the Z30 got a shot to be sold in at&t stores.
    09-29-13 02:36 PM
80 1234