I initially thought this was going to be a Blackberry bashing article. Then I found it was interesting article on the stagnation of mobile technology.

BlackBerry Never Had a Chance: Mobile Innovation Is Over | Wired Business | Wired.com

I'm a happy Blackberry customer!
    AnimalPak200 and Sexy Sadie like this.
    09-28-13 04:28 PM
    I don't believe for a second that innovation in handheld computing is somehow done. These instruments aren't just phones anymore (although this seemed like news to many of the Blackberry dinosaurs around here). What about sensors that can help an EMT scan an accident victim's body and deal in real time with the doctor in emerg? That technology is coming, but not here yet. That tech filters its way down, as all tech does, because the developers want to make money. One day, parents will have that in their handsets so they scan scan junior for a fever.

Even in the non-science fiction realm, aren't there tons of software innovations that have yet to be implemented? What about seamless universally available access to a bank account via the near field reader in my phone, so that I can wave it in front of the cash register at the grocery store? I can do that at SBUX.

Sorry, these authors don't read enough speculative fiction.
    Last edited by mset; 09-28-13 at 07:47 PM.
    09-28-13 05:10 PM
    That's an excellent article!!

It might be a little bit over-stated, but it is important to keep mobile phones in their proper place. Cell phones are just tools in life....cell phones are not our lives!
    09-28-13 06:18 PM
    I don't believe for a second that innovation in handheld computing is somehow done. These instruments aren't just phones anymore (although this seemed like news to many of the Blackberry dinosaurs around here). What about sensors that can help an EMT scan an accident victim's body and deal in real time with the doctor in emerg? That technology is coming, but not here. That tech filters its way down, as all tech does, because the developers want to make money. One day, parents will have that in their handsets so they scan scan junior for a fever.
    Interesting you mentioned the medical scanners. It apears that Mike L is currently working on a venture capital fund looking to invest in exactly that kind of technology.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/technol...vice=mobile#!/

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    h20work likes this.
    09-28-13 06:53 PM
    This is the kind of attitude that got BlackBerry into the dumps in the first place.

There is plenty of innovation left and that will drive the industry moving forward.

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie, h20work and CHIP72 like this.
    09-28-13 08:14 PM
    Interesting you mentioned the medical scanners. It apears that Mike L is currently working on a venture capital fund looking to invest in exactly that kind of technology.

Mike Lazaridis
    Interesting. I'm sure a guy with Mike's brains will land on his feet and come up with other cool ideas.

The Globe and Mail article on BBRY today indicates how difficult it is for these firms to make decisions about how to pilot their firms and where change is going to occur next.
    09-28-13 08:23 PM
    Very interesting discussion as well. The one called Derigble is brilliant.
    09-28-13 08:34 PM
    I see this author eating his words in the near future.

Innovation is dead? It's only the beginning. Just look at "the Internet of things". Smartphones now pack so much power that they are able to interact with the world around us.

Comparing smartphones to pc's and laptops is just plain silly. Even the lightest thinnest laptop is impractical to take anywhere and everywhere
    mset likes this.
    09-28-13 09:12 PM
    To be frank I think these phones will be the only thing you have to leave your house with one day. Wallets, gone! Credit cards? Stored safely at home in a safe with your drivers license, health card, sin card and even the keys to your brand new Dodge! Maybe even your house keys will be replaced by them.

Complete life integratipn is where these things are headed and if BlackBerry can get their act together they can be the leaders in this stuff. Not the followers.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:19 PM