10-24-13 08:34 AM
67 123
tools
    Omg..bb10 market share is not falling, it's growing slowly.
    If the overall smartphone market was not growing, then, yes, that would be true, because every BB10 phone activated would grow the marketshare. But marketshare is a percentage of the total of smartphones, and that total keeps growing, and does so at such a rate that if BB10 sales don't keep growing every Q, they lose ground in the overall percentage. That's exactly what's happening now. BB10 sales peaked during last Q (BB's fiscal 2Q14), and now they are dropping off.

Keep in mind that 1.6 million Android phones are activated EACH DAY, which is about the same as BB10 phones activated in Q2. That's about a 90:1 ratio, and that doesn't include any non-Google-Certified Android devices, such as Kindles or Chinese Android phones. Even WP is selling multiples of BB10. You have to be honest with yourself about the numbers.
    10-13-13 09:35 PM
    Others have mentioned the possibility that like the Facebook app, BB10 and WP can be given the permissions and access to the APIs.

Understanding the limited resources you want to dedicate, one could assume that it would probably be to develop for the key consumer marketshare devices and that's Android and iOS.

I wouldn't be so sure to state that it will have little chance it would be built for BB10. Maybe not natively but possibly a repackaged Droid version as a .bar file. If the process is a simple one (I haven't tried it myself the official way but have read that it is simple as long as the android runtime is compatible), then I can see this being assigned to one resource to just work on getting it repackaged on BB10. I mean we already have a couple of repackaged Android apps on BlackBerry World anyways.

Another option is to go to HTML5 where it is OS agnostic and will be web browser based. Chromebook is based on the Chrome browser so if we see more HTML5 app, what better browser to utilize that but the best in market mobile browser in BB10 (and Playbook) devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 10:26 PM
    Others have mentioned the possibility that like the Facebook app, BB10 and WP can be given the permissions and access to the APIs.
    If Instagram wanted their app on all platforms, then all they have to do is open up the API and let developers use it for their apps, regardless of platform.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    10-14-13 05:44 AM
    Instagram is currently mulling over how to introduce advertising to the platform in order to produce some revenue.
    Here it is in an nutshell. They don't want an open API, because they know the only way to generate revenue is to put ads in the apps. And the only way to make sure people see the ads in the apps, is if they build the apps themselves.
    10-14-13 05:46 AM
    Here it is in an nutshell. They don't want an open API, because they know the only way to generate revenue is to put ads in the apps. And the only way to make sure people see the ads in the apps, is if they build the apps themselves.
    That's right and I can agree in seeing the logic in that if this is the way that they maximize their profits.

I just don't know why they can't repackage their Droid app in BlackBerry World unless the process is too much work with a 1:1 experience or there's something else we don't know about as an underlying reason.

We shall see how things unfold I suppose. Not an Instagram user outside of me testing it as a sideload and my iPod device.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 11:19 AM
    As BlackBerry fans (or not) we should realize that CEO's do not always speak the truth, knowingly or not.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    10-14-13 11:30 AM
    But the IG CEO just said he wants to be on every platform. Didn't say he's waiting for a threshold.

Posted via CB10
    That would require quite some work though: Besides BB10 and Windows Phone there still is Firefox OS as well as soon Tizen and Sailfish out there. Oh and don't forget legacy OS BB devices, which easily outnumber BB10 by far. Maybe he talking about some improved webbased version of Instagram.

If they really would be interested in boosting development for other plattforms, we'd already gotten some news about it. Truth however is Alec Saunders just recently stated Instagram isn't (yet) interested in BB10 and even though Nokia tweeted Instagram will come "soon", we've yet to see any positive hint for an official WP version.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-14-13 11:42 AM
    That's right and I can agree in seeing the logic in that if this is the way that they maximize their profits.

I just don't know why they can't repackage their Droid app in BlackBerry World unless the process is too much work with a 1:1 experience or there's something else we don't know about as an underlying reason.

We shall see how things unfold I suppose. Not an Instagram user outside of me testing it as a sideload and my iPod device.

Posted via CB10
    Based on what users with a Q10 (who sideloaded Instagram) have posted, it would need to be reformatted for the particular 1:1 aspect ratio to work properly. Perhaps if it was just the Z10 it wouldn't be as big a deal for them.

Hopefully iGrann will make its way out and work well and Instagram will allow it. Otherwise, it would be nice if BlackBerry could reach an agreement with Instagram to make the app in house (subject to IG approval). I don't see them building a native app or releasing a port anytime soon, if ever.
    10-14-13 05:27 PM
    The Instagram Not Coming to BlackBerry “Anytime Soon”, says CEO article is dated June 26th. Maybe the "anytime soon" timeframe was only a few months and now, with IG ready to introduce advertising, it makes business sense to invest in having the app on BB and WIN devices. This would be a boost for BB10 devices.
    10-14-13 06:50 PM
    maybe he is just a bull****ter
    10-14-13 07:41 PM
    keep dreaming people never going to happen
    Flatman likes this.
    10-14-13 09:46 PM
    Corporate schmuck flip-flopping, news at 11.

Although I was expecting thick frames and an "ironic" mustache on the guy.
    10-14-13 10:09 PM
    He's just saying that to boost the share price just like the Netflix CEO. Meaningless words until its a reality. At least iGrann is in the pipeline for BB10. BlackBerry offered money and dev support for the app and instagram wanted none of it so I don't know what more they could do.
    10-15-13 12:04 AM
    Tbh I don't think it helps that BlackBerry has two operating systems out there at the moment. And more people are buying the older one still. Put yourself in their shoes. Which do we spend resources on developing for... BB10 which is new, and err, new, or OS7 which has many many more users, and is still selling more devices than the new BB10.

Maybe develop for the new platform, and all the users from OS7 will migrate across to BB10 soon enough. But that's not going to happen. The lure of certain OS7 devices for many regions and people was that they were cheap. You can still pick a Curve up for 90 on pay as you go. There are no BB10 devices listed for pay as you go, so you have to get one sim free, I know prices are pretty much the same anyway. The cheapest BB10 device is 300 sim free. And it's ugly.

Millions of people are not going to give up their OS7 devices for BB10 ones because they are just too expensive. So what does instagram do, they wait. They wait until prices come down (which has to happen or nobody is going to buy them) and more people do move across, and then they make an app for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 08:04 AM
    I've said it before: folks want developers to jump on board BB10 when BBRY has so far not been able to successfully motivate its millions of legacy users to do the same.
    10-16-13 02:22 PM
    I find it amusing the largest app companies have the hardest time serving all customers while a small developer can do it in no time. The bigger you are the slower you move.
    10-16-13 02:24 PM
    I find it amusing the largest app companies have the hardest time serving all customers while a small developer can do it in no time. The bigger you are the slower you move.
    Interesting point, but you can also view as the bigger companies have more to lose by supporting something they don't think will be profitable.
    10-16-13 02:28 PM
    Interesting point, but you can also view as the bigger companies have more to lose by supporting something they don't think will be profitable.
    Not sure how they could lose profits by adding a few more million customers to the mix. The android sideload works, it would take them no time at all to covert instagram to an android port.
    10-16-13 02:30 PM
    Not sure how they could lose profits by adding a few more million customers to the mix. The android sideload works, it would take them no time at all to covert instagram to an android port.
    Well first, if this forum is a cross-section of BB10 users, then they are probably right. All we hear is how useless the service is... "who wants to see pictures of breakfast" being the most common refrain.

But more seriously, how many developers would it take for Instagram to make an app worthy of the name? 4? Full time? Support costs too. Now that Facebook is looking to monetize its investment (with ads, I'm guessing) every dollar matters.

Remember, Android had EXPONENTIALLY more users than BB10 before Instagram deigned to make an Android port.
    10-16-13 02:40 PM
    Well first, if this forum is a cross-section of BB10 users, then they are probably right. All we hear is how useless the service is... "who wants to see pictures of breakfast" being the most common refrain.

But more seriously, how many developers would it take for Instagram to make an app worthy of the name? 4? Full time? Support costs too. Now that Facebook is looking to monetize its investment (with ads, I'm guessing) every dollar matters.

Remember, Android had EXPONENTIALLY more users than BB10 before Instagram deigned to make an Android port.
    They should probably just make Facebook and instagram into one app if they are worried about costs. They are essentially the same app lol.

Posted from my Z10
    LoganSix likes this.
    10-16-13 02:46 PM
    They should probably just make Facebook and instagram into one app if they are worried about costs. They are essentially the same app lol.

Posted from my Z10
    Sooner or later, this is what will happen. Instagram members are living in a fantasy world where Facebook won't merge the two.
    10-17-13 09:15 AM

Posted from my Z10
    They are not worried about costs.
    Bb10 is not a viable platform. They don't want to waste their time and talent on bb10.
    & they are far from the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-17-13 10:13 AM
    They are not worried about costs.
    Bb10 is not a viable platform. They don't want to waste their time and talent on bb10.
    & they are far from the minority.

All that talent to converk an apk to a bar file. Don't wanna waste that for a few million more users.
    10-17-13 10:53 AM
    All that talent to converk an apk to a bar file. Don't wanna waste that for a few million more users.
    My mistake, I thought you meant natively.
    Perhaps they just don't want to.

10-17-13 11:13 AM
    My mistake, I thought you meant natively.
    Perhaps they just don't want to.

The average person who uses instagram probably won't care or even notice

Posted from my Z10
    10-17-13 12:07 PM
67 123