10-03-13 11:04 PM
108 ... 345
tools
    That sure click was horrid. Just horrid. And I for one accept that moment as the tipping point. I think that phone is in some bag in my basement. Think it is worth anything?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 08:39 AM
    That sure click was horrid. Just horrid. And I for one accept that moment as the tipping point. I think that phone is in some bag in my basement. Think it is worth anything?

Posted via CB10
    If somebody, some day opens a Museum of Canadian Failures, I'm sure they'll pay good money for securing a working model!
    10-02-13 09:25 AM
    I agree that there is an appetite out there for a third OS to challenge the dominance of iOS or Android but I don't buy the "dissatisfaction" with iOS as a reason. The numbers just don't bare themselves out. When you sell 9 million + devices on a single weekend, what it basically says is that Apple, despite all the criticism about lack of innovation, can still market and sell their products successfully. Other than the hype created by Apple's iPhone 5S/iPhone 5C product launches, I personally didn't see any major ad buys in the U.S. to promote the new iPhone lines. The product's buzz spread organically.

As for the finger print scanner being a gimmick, it may well be but it is cutting edge for the smartphone and serves to differentiate iPhone 5S in a very crowded marketplace. I seem to recall BBRY promoting the heck out of the timeshift mode available on BB10 devices. I've had both the Z10 and Q10 and find timeshift to be absolutely gimmicky but BBRY considered it a key differentiator vs competing devices so promoted it.

My kids (one college freshman and one high school sophomore) both upgraded to iOS7 and absolutely love it. Our parish priest did the same and absolutely hated it. So, like with everything, iOS7 appears to be a matter of personal taste.
    Oh time shift is largely a gimmick, no argument here. I used it once. Feel the same way about Story Maker which I haven't even looked at.

Yes Apple sells well and has a dedicated fan base and will continue to do well for the foreseeable future. But I will be curious to see how the next iPhone fares next to the 5S launch. I think the sales were bolstered by an upgrade wave of iPhone 4 users personally. Just a hunch.

Anyway, hopefully other companies will continue to try and challenge Apple / Google's hegemony in the consumer market. I think BlackBerry is out, no matter what happens for the short term anyway.

Competition is always good for the consumer!
    10-02-13 04:50 PM
    Oh time shift is largely a gimmick, no argument here. I used it once. Feel the same way about Story Maker which I haven't even looked at.

Yes Apple sells well and has a dedicated fan base and will continue to do well for the foreseeable future. But I will be curious to see how the next iPhone fares next to the 5S launch. I think the sales were bolstered by an upgrade wave of iPhone 4 users personally. Just a hunch.

Anyway, hopefully other companies will continue to try and challenge Apple / Google's hegemony in the consumer market. I think BlackBerry is out, no matter what happens for the short term anyway.

Competition is always good for the consumer!
    Agree that competition is always good and I'd love to see a third OS succeed in the consumer marketplace.
    10-02-13 11:23 PM
    Agree that competition is always good and I'd love to see a third OS succeed in the consumer marketplace.
    And a fourth, and fifth! Right now I'm keeping tabs on Jolla Sailfish OS. Looks neat. No plans to ditch BB10 for the foreseeable, but I like knowing what's out there.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    10-03-13 04:47 PM
    It's really sad how they failed to adapt. I grew up in Rochester, NY (The Home of Kodak). And watching that company fall apart was sad enough. It's pretty sad it's happening to BlackBerry now.
    TGR1 likes this.
    10-03-13 04:54 PM
    Got worse today with Rogers news they would not carry the Z30. That sounds like a major disappointment. It is going to be fascinating to see just how the company adapts once taken private.

My Q10 is a very good modern smart phone. It does about everything I want a phone with this size screen to do. But to see the Z devices try to compete with other consumer all touch devices without the same app ecosystem is kind of sad (and I don't believe sideloading is a good alternative).

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 07:16 PM
    The article states that the QNX development team was pretty much cloistered away from the BBOS team. If this is true it really explains a lot about the missing traditional BlackBerry experience in BB10. Features that made email and email management on a BlackBerry a true delight were initially lacking on the PlayBook and BB10.

I'm having a hard time understanding how the management at RIM could hand over the development of the new OS and future of the brand to a group of people who are essentially not tied in anyway to the BlackBerry experience. I'm not knocking the QNX people at all, they are no doubt talented and have delivered a great OS under less than ideal conditions and a short time frame. It's just that to anyone who ever enjoyed the BlackBerry experience who made the jump to BB10 it becomes clear early on that while the new OS is a great product and platform a lot of the BBOS DNA seems to be missing. I never could put my finger on it but this article made me realize what my intuition was telling me. I now feel that if the traditional team had been more a part of the process many of our favorite bells and whistles would have been incorporated into BB10 from inception, instead we are left to wait for future updates.

Again I'm not knocking BB10 or QNX I just loved how messaging on BBOS was so effortless, effective and efficient. I no doubt believe BB10 will mature into an even better more robust and complete experience I guess I'm just going through BBOS and keyboard withdrawal
    10-03-13 11:04 PM
108 ... 345