10-03-13 10:04 PM
108 ... 2345
tools
    --------------
    09-29-13 08:45 AM
    1. Should Heins be let go? No clue but what the article makes clear is that BB10 and the decisions surrounding the launch was entirely his. Given the results particularly for Z10, if his performance was in any way tied to those plans, he should be let go.

2. Could Fairfax help? It seems increasingly clear that Fairfax's motivation is to salvage as much of its existing investment in BBRY as it can. It will not take any more equity and is trying to assemble a group of pension funds as well as raise some debt to complete its "acquisition" of BBRY. In my view, Fairfax's objective is to protect Fairfax's interest which may or may not be tied to BBRY's future. In other words, I believe that if Fairfax could recoup its investment in BBRY by breaking it up and using its remaining cash horde for its own (and its partner's) interests, it would do so.

3. Regarding the Canadian (or any) media and BB10, it would seem to me that the media tried very hard to generate enthusiasm for BB10 and reported those early positive reviews but it is also increasingly clear that in going after the consumer market by first launching only the Z10, one key ingredient was missing: a robust app ecosystem. The general consumer market sees apps as a key feature of their smartphone purchase as can be seen by the relative success of iOS and Android. The evaluation of BB10's success simply cannot ignore this element. If we're going to blame the news media, we should also look at how the media has treated Apple. Apple's significant share price decline over the past year has generated regular articles about the so-called lack of innovation at Apple and skeptical articles about the consumer appeal of the iPhone 5S. All of that was shut down by the 9 million iPhone 5S/iPhone 5C sold during the launch weekend which far outstripped media and analyst expectations. The only way to turn the media around is by proving them wrong. BB10 made a loud bang on its launch but then fizzled immediately after with a pathetic staggered international rollout (failing to launch in the world's most dynamic media market -- the US -- was a key error) followed shortly after by poor sales figures and excuse making that BBRY seems to have mastered.

As both Apple and Samsung have shown, the only way to succeed in the smartphone game is by executing a flawless launch, generating major publicity and hype then ensuring that your product is broadly available and generating buzz organically in the marketplace.

How many times did I hear BBRY and its supporters say "well, we don't have queues because so many Z10s were sold in pre-orders" or "the Z10 sales numbers don't include a full quarter of availability in the US market" or, finally, "Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile/Sprint sales people are sabotaging Z10 sales".

The article mentions how it was taking sales staff an hour to fully demonstrate the capabilities of BB10 -- frankly, I've owned both the Z10 and the Q10 and after months of use, there are features I am still discovering and figuring out -- that simple statement alone gives one an idea of how difficult (perhaps impossible) it was to sell the device to the average consumer many of whom haven't used BB devices in years.
    To me, you make total sense. Well said and well thought out. Ty
    As for Canadian Press, I was too general. I'm really thin

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 08:59 AM
    --------------
    09-29-13 08:59 AM
    Lol, I'm having issues with my two year old hitting the screen while trying to respond. Brutal. Really sorry.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:01 AM
    ------------
    09-29-13 09:01 AM
    Kill me now, lol. I'll get back later.
    09-29-13 09:03 AM
    Heaven forbid I made a typo thunder drive. Who really cares. Market your c/p.
    If you don't mind being provably wrong, I guess that's your call.

FYI: It's not "thunder drive" either.
    09-29-13 09:26 AM
    I think the story still boils down to the inability of Blackberry to come up with a device that new smartphone customers would jump carriers to get to. No matter what strategy Blackberrry wanted to come up with, it hinged on the ability of them to push the carriers around with customer defections. There was no point in getting the carriers to buy on to replacing SMS. Carriers would have blocked any of that except that Apple shoved iMessage down their throats. Just the idea Blackberry tried to work with the carriers ultimately put them on the losing side of the equation.

Blackberry was and still is being out-designed, out-innovated, out-marketed and out-executed. I do find it interesting that Blackberrry executives knew that despite what they were saying to others.

You don't think that iOS has room to develop? I beg to differ. My new iPhone 5s is running a 64 bit OS for no reason other than to make room for future developments. While Blackberry is laying of teams left and right, Apple has more than a thousand engineers working on designing their chips alone. You can't seriously believe that BB10 has the resources to catch up. Any BB10 superiority exists exclusively on this forum. Nobody else believes that.
    That's because Apple uses Child Labor to make their phones. I haven't heard of Apple laying off any people yet and the reason why is because the people (the children) didn't have a contract to sign to get the job. It was just free labor for Apple. Research Foxconn.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:02 PM
    That's because Apple uses Child Labor to make their phones. I haven't heard of Apple laying off any people yet and the reason why is because the people (the children) didn't have a contract to sign to get the job. It was just free labor for Apple. Research Foxconn.
    Like you said, I went ahead and researched Foxconn. Here's what I found.

BlackBerry (BBRY) Manufacturer Will Have 'Profitable' First-Half of 2013 (NOK)

Looks like BBRY is among Foxconn's clients.
    09-29-13 09:20 PM

wonder how long until they make a public stink about ditching blackberry as a customer
    09-29-13 09:30 PM
    The Storm was the worst tech device I have ever used. Nothing even comes close. Pure junk. Whoever approved that POS deserved to walk the plank.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:36 PM

I love when people cry ZOMGFOXCONN APPLE IS TEH EVIL CHILD LABOUR...it's best to make sure your platform is clean before slinging mud at others.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 09-30-13 at 08:39 AM.
    kevinnugent and notfanboy like this.
    09-29-13 10:22 PM
    I'm being very careful about what I say here, due to a recent infraction for calling someone a fanboy. But YES!!!!! Finally someone else gets that Blackberry use Foxconn too.... hopefully that holier than thou myth can be finally laid to rest.
    reeneebob likes this.
    09-29-13 10:31 PM
    When you look at the variety of mobile OSes apart from iOS/Android (Symbian, Palm, MeeGo, Tizen, BB10, WP8, Sailfish, Firefox, etc.) it's clear that there is a hunger for some competition to the two dominant platforms. I had dinner last night with friends that both use iPhones and both were going on about how much they didn't like iOS7 (for the most part) and also made a point of dismissing the fingerprint scanner as a dumb gimmick. I asked if they'd thought about going with something else, but for now they're sticking with Apple, more out of a sense of familiarity. Kinda like how most people don't really like Windows on the desktop but will stick with it as "the devil they know".

EDIT: for some reason I got a word censored. Pretty sure it wasn't a pejorative. Sometimes the CB filters are messed up.
    I agree that there is an appetite out there for a third OS to challenge the dominance of iOS or Android but I don't buy the "dissatisfaction" with iOS as a reason. The numbers just don't bare themselves out. When you sell 9 million + devices on a single weekend, what it basically says is that Apple, despite all the criticism about lack of innovation, can still market and sell their products successfully. Other than the hype created by Apple's iPhone 5S/iPhone 5C product launches, I personally didn't see any major ad buys in the U.S. to promote the new iPhone lines. The product's buzz spread organically.

As for the finger print scanner being a gimmick, it may well be but it is cutting edge for the smartphone and serves to differentiate iPhone 5S in a very crowded marketplace. I seem to recall BBRY promoting the heck out of the timeshift mode available on BB10 devices. I've had both the Z10 and Q10 and find timeshift to be absolutely gimmicky but BBRY considered it a key differentiator vs competing devices so promoted it.

My kids (one college freshman and one high school sophomore) both upgraded to iOS7 and absolutely love it. Our parish priest did the same and absolutely hated it. So, like with everything, iOS7 appears to be a matter of personal taste.
    09-29-13 10:40 PM
    I love when people cry ZOMGFOXCOMM APPLE IS TEH EVIL CHILD LABOUR...it's best to make sure your platform is clean before slinging mud at others.
    Real mature. Delete my comment, eh? Ok. But let's gets things straight here alright? When I bought up Foxconn I didn't bring it up to talk about its "working conditions" in China. I know BlackBerry has factory's with Foxconn but none in China that I've heard of. Don't mistake me for a dumba** cuz I'm not. I was only saying that Apple does not fire people because they have "free labor". That's all. No need to make it out to be something it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 11:05 PM
    The only area untouched in that article was marketing. I'd love to know the inside story on what happened (or didn't happen).
    No mention because, IMHO, marketing is the least of BBRY's problems.
    09-29-13 11:43 PM
    The Storm was the worst tech device I have ever used. Nothing even comes close. Pure junk. Whoever approved that POS deserved to walk the plank.

Posted via CB10
    You have to wonder if they had at least released something like the Torch 9850/9860 instead -- i.e., a basic full touch device with a webkit browser -- whether that would have led to a change in fortunes. They had to realize that one of their problems was that the web browser at the time sucked.
    09-30-13 05:55 AM
    No need to make it out to be something it isn't.
    I was just thinking the same thing, but not about reeneebob.
    Last edited by Wiki Cydia; 09-30-13 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typo
    reeneebob likes this.
    09-30-13 08:49 AM
    Real mature. Delete my comment, eh? Ok. But let's gets things straight here alright? When I bought up Foxconn I didn't bring it up to talk about its "working conditions" in China. I know BlackBerry has factory's with Foxconn but none in China that I've heard of. Don't mistake me for a dumba** cuz I'm not. I was only saying that Apple does not fire people because they have "free labor". That's all. No need to make it out to be something it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea what you're talking about with 'delete my comment'.

Apple doesn't fire people because they don't need to. And enough with the child labour garbage. BB still provides money to Foxconn. Where the factories are makes no difference. That money doesn't stay with a specific factory. It helps fund ALL of Foxconn. Their hands are also dirty.

You seem to forget (or choose to ignore) that Foxconn is their own company. Foxconn hires it's workers. Foxconn. Not Apple. And I'd be willing to bet you own a whole bunch of Foxconn stuff in your home. And a whole bunch of other stuff made by less than great means. Which would make it awfully hypocritical to only show such righteous indignation towards Apple products - particularly since Apple is the only company Foxconn (it's own separate company remember, not owned by Apple) has been forced to make changes to working conditions for, under threat of losing business. Where's all the other company's demands to Foxconn?

But Apple is TEH DEBBIL because it has an Apple on it, so BB gets a wash re:Foxconn. And HP. And Motorola. And LG. And...
    NYC10065 and notfanboy like this.
    09-30-13 08:50 AM
    You seem to forget (or choose to ignore) that Foxconn is their own company. Foxconn hires it's workers. Foxconn. Not Apple. And I'd be willing to bet you own a whole bunch of Foxconn stuff in your home. And a whole bunch of other stuff made by less than great means. Which would make it awfully hypocritical to only show such righteous indignation towards Apple products - particularly since Apple is the only company Foxconn (it's own separate company remember, not owned by Apple) has been forced to make changes to working conditions for, under threat of losing business. Where's all the other company's demands to Foxconn?

But Apple is TEH DEBBIL because it has an Apple on it, so BB gets a wash re:Foxconn. And HP. And Motorola. And LG. And...
    Foxconn manufactures or assembles electronics so anything from iPads, iPhones, Kindle, Playstation, Wii, televisions, smartphones, etc. so anyone who buys anything with an on/off switch likely has bought a Foxconn manufactured product. One thing I can say though is having visited a Foxconn factory in China is that while they do have labor issues, they are, at least, subject to intense scrutiny not just by the Chinese government but by international organizations and watchdog groups. I'd, frankly, be more comfortable buying a Foxconn product than buying a product manufactured by a no-name company in China which operates in the dark and through a network of subcontractors. The west likes to make examples of these businesses while completely ignoring those under the radar which make these larger multinational firms look like paradise by comparison.

And while we're at it, anyone who buys clothes, food, furniture, basically any consumer product is very likely buying a product which has at least some element of child labor or poor working conditions.

That tomato you used for your sandwich that was grown in California? Well, there was a PBS documentary not long ago that exposed underaged illegal immigrant workers picking fruit and vegetables.

That $15 shirt with your favorite team's logo on it that you wore to the game? The poor working conditions at textile firms in Asia or Latin America have been well-documented.

That $500 flat screen TV hanging on your wall or the $30 DVD player sitting on the shelf? Good luck finding a factory where that was produced that doesn't have a labor issue.

What about those chips you bought at Walmart? Or that burger you bought at your local McDonald's? Have you considered how much that Walmart or McDonald's worker actually takes home? And we're not talking kids. We're talking adult, full-time workers who have their own kids to feed.

The bottom line is, before anyone judges Apple (or BBRY), they'd better take stock of what their personal role is in consumer society.
    reeneebob likes this.
    09-30-13 09:51 AM
    Foxconn manufactures or assembles electronics so anything from iPads, iPhones, Kindle, Playstation, Wii, televisions, smartphones, etc. so anyone who buys anything with an on/off switch likely has bought a Foxconn manufactured product. One thing I can say though is having visited a Foxconn factory in China is that while they do have labor issues, they are, at least, subject to intense scrutiny not just by the Chinese government but by international organizations and watchdog groups. I'd, frankly, be more comfortable buying a Foxconn product than buying a product manufactured by a no-name company in China which operates in the dark and through a network of subcontractors. The west likes to make examples of these businesses while completely ignoring those under the radar which make these larger multinational firms look like paradise by comparison.

And while we're at it, anyone who buys clothes, food, furniture, basically any consumer product is very likely buying a product which has at least some element of child labor or poor working conditions.

That tomato you used for your sandwich that was grown in California? Well, there was a PBS documentary not long ago that exposed underaged illegal immigrant workers picking fruit and vegetables.

That $15 shirt with your favorite team's logo on it that you wore to the game? The poor working conditions at textile firms in Asia or Latin America have been well-documented.

That $500 flat screen TV hanging on your wall or the $30 DVD player sitting on the shelf? Good luck finding a factory where that was produced that doesn't have a labor issue.

What about those chips you bought at Walmart? Or that burger you bought at your local McDonald's? Have you considered how much that Walmart or McDonald's worker actually takes home? And we're not talking kids. We're talking adult, full-time workers who have their own kids to feed.

The bottom line is, before anyone judges Apple (or BBRY), they'd better take stock of what their personal role is in consumer society.
    Nononono...Apple is the evilest evil who eviled in Eviltown. Didn't you get the memo? Foxconn cluck squawk !
    NYC10065 likes this.
    09-30-13 09:55 AM
    Nononono...Apple is the evilest evil who eviled in Eviltown. Didn't you get the memo? Foxconn cluck squawk !
    And all iPhone users have third degree burns all over their arms.
    NYC10065 and reeneebob like this.
    09-30-13 09:56 AM
    And all iPhone users have third degree burns all over their arms.
    I own 3 iPhones, 4 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, 3 Macbooks and, over the years, 11 iPods (in addition to a Z10, a Q10, 3 Bold 9900s and a host of older BB devices acquired over the past 10 years). My entire body must be burning.

Oh, shoot, that reminds me, I forgot to let the slave laborers toiling away in my basement out for their 2 minute walk.
    reeneebob likes this.
    09-30-13 10:06 AM
    You have to wonder if they had at least released something like the Torch 9850/9860 instead -- i.e., a basic full touch device with a webkit browser -- whether that would have led to a change in fortunes. They had to realize that one of their problems was that the web browser at the time sucked.
    They had to know; how could they have not known how bad that browser was. I think a lot of people would not have abandoned the ship had there been a good browser. But it became difficult to see what less mature smartphone manufacturers were doing with a browser. People who had never had a device like that go to the local retailer and pick up a Droid or iPhone and could do real mobile computing.
    10-01-13 07:51 AM
    Great article. There are so many ways that RIM messed up that it's impossible to boil it down to one watershed moment. However, since I like doing just that I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Storm was the moment when RIM hit the iceberg. And I'm going to boil it down further... the thing I noticed about the Storm that I didn't like -- aside from its slowness and bugginess, etc -- was that you had to physically "click" the screen. The "SurePress" feature.

This is a telling post from the times:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...7/#post1911184

So I'm gonna say that the point where they green-lit a "click-touch" screen on the Storm was the downfall of RIM That specific meeting when they laid out the SurePress feature, pitched it, and the CEO said "Ok, let's do that. I want to feel the screen click when I touch it." That was the end of RIM right there.

Over-simplification? Of course, but it's fun to think about. That precise moment when a dying company jumped the shark.
    10-01-13 11:00 AM
108 ... 2345