This is true that is where I read it earlier today!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:58 PM
    What a mess.
    QuickDime likes this.
    09-28-13 09:00 PM
    64 bit mobile is currently useless and will be a few years before it serves a purpose. It's just another gimmick apple can tout as a useable feature.

iOS while 7 added some new life the keyboard still sucks among other things that have not changed since the phone has been released.

Sure the phones sell but the ui is already flat. They need to push the envelope next for iOS 8 or they will be seeing decline as well. No real features are added the usual CPU GPU slightly better camera.
    Unlike the Z10, Apple is selling every 5s they can make.

You forgot to mention the fingerprint reader on the 5s btw. Presumably it is just another "gimmick apple can tout as a usable feature".
    09-28-13 09:46 PM
    My notes:
    -Mike L's keyboard fixation is badly misguided. Yes, some businessmen (and consumers) love it, it wasn't enough to stop mass migration away from it. I was all for offering it, but it could not be their main product, IF they wanted to regain, or at least be in the running for the top. The same applies to his BB10 fixation, and if Heins and co really believed BB10 was "clearly superior" then they are BB delusional, and needed to be slapped, and take a cold, sober look at their competition. At the end of the day....MIke L and Heins really were out-of-touch.

-even Jim B's plan at feb 2013 was probably too late, but it might have had a shot....it would seem that along with his China plan, he was actually the only one trying to move forward, and the only with at least some semi-viable plan for RIM. When they announced XBBM, I said that I assumed some version of it must have been well-along in development, and hopefully - done and up to date (thought they must have had a tiny team just keep working on it as a potential backup - or even as pure "r &d" even after cancellation)....if they did, it's so sad that going live was still so disastrous. At the end of the day, at Least Jim B seemed to perceive what the reality of their position was AND was trying to pursue other avenues. Nice try Jim B - I mean that sincerely.

--I have also thought/said (even back at launch of PB) that PB only hurt them - a complete debacle - and obvious one even at launch - the limitations were ridiculous.

-execs silenced - and the article recounts a couple being let go for being disruptive - these were the people RIM needed the most. Incidently, much of this supports BGR's RIM employee letter. - particularly the culture, the not listening to customers, and the lack of coordination between software teams.

-"underestimated time and complexity" of creating a new OS....really? Bad positions and strategies aside, this company simply couldn't execute on any level

-Alicia Keyes made up title and and meaningless job irked some? Who? Was it me? Yes, it was....who else? Whoever they were, THEY should have been in charge of marketing/launch! LOL

CB NOTE:
    If you are one of the bashers who keeps insisting....EVEN NOW (let alone weeks/months) ago that only "naysaysers' "negative nancies" "shorters" etc are talking about BB's demise and that in reality everything is great, and we are nowhere near the end - please stop posting that nonsense and direct your objections to MIke L and all the people at Waterloo he refers to, who ARE thinking about the end.
    Last edited by richardat; 09-28-13 at 10:32 PM.
    09-28-13 10:19 PM
    The way I see it, they all had good strategies, but because they were so divided, they didn't do anything right. It took them forever to execute on one thing, but did not follow a clear cut strategy.
    I don't think so. I do agree that any one focused plan is better than their fractured efforts, but....
    Lasaridis=> Wanted to focus on Enterprise. Understood that they needed a better OS, but wanted to build a keyboard device only. Wanted to launch BB10 first with keyboard device
    FAIL. Keyboard device only at launch would have sold very little to consumers, and only a few more to Enterprise users. The q10 didn't exactly fly off the shelves, and wouldn't have a few months earlier. Either way, sales would have been terrible but Heins made the right call between two bad calls....z10 was the only choice for glory even though it was not good enough.
    Balsillie=> Saw the smartphone market as commoditised, so wanted to focus on services and cross-platform BBM. He also wanted Blackberry to start offering other services through Carriers, like cloud storage.
    Plausible. A huge risk, especially that late - but couldnt' have done worse. Was at least acknowledgment that they needed a complete rethink.
    Thorsten=> Saw BB10 as the only way to save Blackberry and put all his focus on the launch. Cancelled all other projects and focused on delivering BB10. Wanted to launch with a touch screen first because he thought keyboard phones were dead and there was money to be made selling a superior touchscreen OS.
    FAIL. Was correct to launch touchscreen first, failed to realize that BB10 without developers was DOA.
    I think if any one of them was able to execute on their strategy from the beginning, BlackBerry would be in a better situation.
    I think JIm B was the only one who had a plan that might have gotten to a different place than w
    09-28-13 10:28 PM
    I agree with those who think touch screen first was a mistake. BB's previous touchscreen phones were so awful that anyone interested in that form factor has probably already moved on.
    09-28-13 10:30 PM
    I agree with those who think touch screen first was a mistake. BB's previous touchscreen phones were so awful that anyone interested in that form factor has probably already moved on.
    Nothing wrong with the concept . BlackBerry failed on execution.
    09-28-13 10:38 PM
    64 bit mobile is currently useless and will be a few years before it serves a purpose. It's just another gimmick apple can tout as a useable feature.

iOS while 7 added some new life the keyboard still sucks among other things that have not changed since the phone has been released.

Sure the phones sell but the ui is already flat. They need to push the envelope next for iOS 8 or they will be seeing decline as well. No real features are added the usual CPU GPU slightly better camera.
    Lolz for life here on CB. Even in the face of 9 million units shifted in 3 days, Apple doomsayers persist. It's like a mania.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-28-13 10:57 PM

The 9 million iPhone 5S/iPhone 5C units sold in one weekend pretty much proves you wrong.
    09-28-13 11:15 PM
    The only issue I have with this article is the way they propagate this myth of RIM being the ones who invented the smart phone. They didn't. In fact their first forays into the phone world were less "smart" than some before them. IBM invented the first true smartphone back in 92.
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-28-13 11:27 PM
    Unlike the Z10, Apple is selling every 5s they can make.

You forgot to mention the fingerprint reader on the 5s btw. Presumably it is just another "gimmick apple can tout as a usable feature".
    The NSA loves that fingerprint reader something they can have direct access to.
    09-28-13 11:34 PM
    The 9 million iPhone 5S/iPhone 5C units sold in one weekend pretty much proves you wrong.
    Did I say they wouldn't sell. They sell because that's apples brain wash. Sure you seen the skits going up to people on the streets saying its a new apple device but isn't new at all. Wow it's faster feels lighter etc.

Apple has always had great marketing, that's why it sells. Just like the "thunder bolt" Ssd. It's a normal Ssd that apple hyped up that's something the invented.

That was a good chuckle..
    09-28-13 11:39 PM
    Did I say they wouldn't sell. They sell because that's apples brain wash. Sure you seen the skits going up to people on the streets saying its a new apple device but isn't new at all. Wow it's faster feels lighter etc.

Apple has always had great marketing, that's why it sells. Just like the "thunder bolt" Ssd. It's a normal Ssd that apple hyped up that's something the invented.

Sort of like "liquid graphics"?
    09-28-13 11:53 PM
    The only issue I have with this article is the way they propagate this myth of RIM being the ones who invented the smart phone. They didn't. In fact their first forays into the phone world were less "smart" than some before them. IBM invented the first true smartphone back in 92.
    I'm pretty sure apple invented the smart phone... and everything else, ever

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 12:26 AM
    I'm pretty sure apple invented the smart phone... and everything else, ever

Posted via CB10
    They just revolutionized the smartphone and everything else, ever.
    09-29-13 12:29 AM
    Doesn't matter what you say about apple. At the end of the day they deliver value for shareholders. RIM on the other hand...
    09-29-13 12:39 AM
    Are people getting paid per NSA mention?
    09-29-13 12:46 AM
    Finally a fair and well written article posted by any Canadian newspaper. This is only a small glimpse into what really happened though. There is no way we could read between all these lines and make heads or tails of the management dynamics. To me, it seems like there were too many cooks in the kitchen that couldn't produce a daily special on time. I was really quick to blame Heins in the last few months. Now, I feel a bit foolish to judge so blindly. There is way more going on.
    I hear so many people say BlackBerry should have brought the Q10 out first. In reality, it wouldn't have made any difference. Bad public perception, missed deadlines, premature operating system, failed marketing are the main issues at launch. However that happened, it doesn't really matter now.
    Should Heins be let go? Not sure? Even as I write this on my Z10, I think I would have bet the bank on BB10 also. It's just that good. Could Fairfax help? I'm more confused than ever.
    One last thing, would it kill any Canadian news organization to say one good thing about BB10? Yes, BlackBerry definitely deserves to be scrutinized , but there is also another side of the story. BB10 received positive reviews and their workforce should be praised for what they achieved. With their fox news like reporting, the Canadian Press is a major part of BB10s short comings also.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xBURK; 09-29-13 at 01:32 AM.
    09-29-13 01:13 AM

"Thunderbolt", as marketed by Apple, has nothing to do with SSD. It's an i/o tech.

Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.

You may have confused Thunderbolt with their hybrid drive option, which does combined a traditional platter HD with an SSD. But that's not Thunderbolt.

Your arguments are less effective when you screw up the facts; perhaps you should improve your marketing.
    09-29-13 01:28 AM
    Heaven forbid I made a typo thunder drive. Who really cares. Market your c/p.

Blackberry screwed themselves and I don't feel a bit sorry for them. The $9 a share we get left with is a joke as well.
    The ship has sailed time for them to sink a slow death. Private or not will not help anymore.

Even in the business sector they are becoming less and less relevant. Revenue drops of 49% is just the beginning.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    09-29-13 02:03 AM
    The only area untouched in that article was marketing. I'd love to know the inside story on what happened (or didn't happen).

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 02:38 AM
    The only area untouched in that article was marketing. I'd love to know the inside story on what happened (or didn't happen).

Posted via CB10
    You really do have to wonder what Boulben is doing for his millions, don't you?
    09-29-13 02:40 AM
    Lolz for life here on CB. Even in the face of 9 million units shifted in 3 days, Apple doomsayers persist. It's like a mania.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    ......and it will never end.
    09-29-13 02:41 AM
    You really do have to wonder what Boulben is doing for his millions, don't you?
    I'm still wondering why he still received millions.
    09-29-13 02:42 AM
    Should Heins be let go? Not sure? Even as I write this on my Z10, I think I would have bet the bank on BB10 also. It's just that good. Could Fairfax help? I'm more confused than ever.
    One last thing, would it kill any Canadian news organization to say one good thing about BB10? Yes, BlackBerry definitely deserves to be scrutinized , but there is also another side of the story. BB10 received positive reviews and their workforce should be praised for what they achieved. With their fox news like reporting, the Canadian Press is a major part of BB10s short comings also.

Posted via CB10
    1. Should Heins be let go? No clue but what the article makes clear is that BB10 and the decisions surrounding the launch were entirely his. Given the results particularly for Z10, if his performance was in any way tied to those plans, he should be let go.

2. Could Fairfax help? It seems increasingly clear that Fairfax's motivation is to salvage as much of its existing investment in BBRY as it can. It will not take any more equity and is trying to assemble a group of pension funds as well as raise some debt to complete its "acquisition" of BBRY. In my view, Fairfax's objective is to protect Fairfax's interest which may or may not be tied to BBRY's future. In other words, I believe that if Fairfax could recoup its investment in BBRY by breaking it up and using its remaining cash horde for its own (and its partner's) interests, it would do so.

3. Regarding the Canadian (or any) media and BB10, it would seem to me that the media tried very hard to generate enthusiasm for BB10 and reported those early positive reviews but it is also increasingly clear that in going after the consumer market by first launching only the Z10, one key ingredient was missing: a robust app ecosystem. The general consumer market sees apps as a key feature of their smartphone purchase as can be seen by the relative success of iOS and Android. The evaluation of BB10's success simply cannot ignore this element. If we're going to blame the news media, we should also look at how the media has treated Apple. Apple's significant share price decline over the past year has generated regular articles about the so-called lack of innovation at Apple and skeptical articles about the consumer appeal of the iPhone 5S. All of that was shut down by the 9 million iPhone 5S/iPhone 5C sold during the launch weekend which far outstripped media and analyst expectations. The only way to turn the media around is by proving them wrong. BB10 made a loud bang on its launch but then fizzled immediately after with a pathetic staggered international rollout (failing to launch in the world's most dynamic media market -- the US -- was a key error) followed shortly after by poor sales figures and excuse making that BBRY seems to have mastered.

As both Apple and Samsung have shown, the only way to succeed in the smartphone game is by executing a flawless launch, generating major publicity and hype then ensuring that your product is broadly available and generating buzz organically in the marketplace.

How many times did I hear BBRY and its supporters say "well, we don't have queues because so many Z10s were sold in pre-orders" or "the Z10 sales numbers don't include a full quarter of availability in the US market" or, finally, "Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile/Sprint sales people are sabotaging Z10 sales".

The article mentions how it was taking sales staff an hour to fully demonstrate the capabilities of BB10 -- frankly, I've owned both the Z10 and the Q10 and after months of use, there are features I am still discovering and figuring out -- that simple statement alone gives one an idea of how difficult (perhaps impossible) it was to sell the device to the average consumer many of whom haven't used BB devices in years.
    Last edited by NYC10065; 09-29-13 at 10:51 AM.
    09-29-13 05:39 AM
108 12345