10-03-13 10:04 PM
108 1234 ...
tools
    I think the story still boils down to the inability of Blackberry to come up with a device that new smartphone customers would jump carriers to get to. No matter what strategy Blackberrry wanted to come up with, it hinged on the ability of them to push the carriers around with customer defections. There was no point in getting the carriers to buy on to replacing SMS. Carriers would have blocked any of that except that Apple shoved iMessage down their throats. Just the idea Blackberry tried to work with the carriers ultimately put them on the losing side of the equation.

Blackberry was and still is being out-designed, out-innovated, out-marketed and out-executed. I do find it interesting that Blackberrry executives knew that despite what they were saying to others.

You don't think that iOS has room to develop? I beg to differ. My new iPhone 5s is running a 64 bit OS for no reason other than to make room for future developments. While Blackberry is laying of teams left and right, Apple has more than a thousand engineers working on designing their chips alone. You can't seriously believe that BB10 has the resources to catch up. Any BB10 superiority exists exclusively on this forum. Nobody else believes that.
    09-28-13 12:05 PM
    64 bit mobile is currently useless and will be a few years before it serves a purpose. It's just another gimmick apple can tout as a useable feature.

iOS while 7 added some new life the keyboard still sucks among other things that have not changed since the phone has been released.

Sure the phones sell but the ui is already flat. They need to push the envelope next for iOS 8 or they will be seeing decline as well. No real features are added the usual CPU GPU slightly better camera.
    09-28-13 12:20 PM
    Good article, I'll watch for the followup tomorrow. I was wondering when we'd see something like this.

Well, if Mike L. is involved with a successful Fairfax takeover I'm gonna guess that TH is toast and figuring out how he'll spend his severance.
    lazardis is gonna slit thors' throat,,, to this day i still wonder why the he!! he was sittin' front row @ the BB10 launch after he'd been canned,,, & don't tell me it was to recognize him for his "great contributions",,, ain't buyin' it,,, he wants his office, & jet, back...
    09-28-13 12:41 PM
    Great article. It all rings very true. If correct it confirms a suspicion I've always had. That one of the main reasons the loved BBOS features did not come to BlackBerry 10 or the PlayBook for that matter, was that the QNX team and the legacy BBOS folks did not interact very well.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    09-28-13 12:46 PM
    Great article. It all rings very true. If correct it confirms a suspicion I've always had. That one of the main reasons the loved BBOS features did not come to BlackBerry 10 or the PlayBook for that matter, was that the QNX team and the legacy BBOS folks did not interact very well.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443

That is very similar to the way Danger employees did not fit in Microsoft's culture.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    Mack Gans and ubizmo like this.
    09-28-13 12:59 PM
    That is very similar to the way Danger employees did not fit in Microsoft's culture.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    Makes you question the virtues of "growth by acquisition"... although some seem to do it very well.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-28-13 01:06 PM
    blackberry always was and still has thick skin for not listening to the cries of market
    09-28-13 01:23 PM
    And they still could change the game
    09-28-13 01:25 PM
    As for Jim B's plan, why on earth would the carriers ever agree to share their money making ripoff scheme? They already had a perfectly sweet deal going and cross-compatibility is a dirty word in their dictionary anyway. Furthermore, as SMS is assailed by services such as iMessage the carriers would hardly like to split their takings anymore.
    Providing SMS to users is a cash-cow for carriers that's quickly being eroded by services such as iMessage, WhatsApp, BBM, etc...

If BBM was the foundation for SMS 2.0, carriers could offer many of the benefits of the competing services and maintain steady revenue from it without losing customers to those other services.
    aniym likes this.
    09-28-13 01:42 PM
    If the founders knew where the company was going then they must have been very loyal to hang on to their shares for so long. They really took a bath on them. I don't think anyone would have blamed them for diversifying a little more. You have to give them some credit for maintaing an air of confidence despite their internal worries - at great personal expense. We're talking billions, aren't we?
    09-28-13 01:54 PM
    I don't think if the q10 would have came out first if it would have mattered. The marketing failed to create a buzz for either. People don't buy what they don't see its plain and simple.

Posted via CB10
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-28-13 01:59 PM
    Providing SMS to users is a cash-cow for carriers that's quickly being eroded by services such as iMessage, WhatsApp, BBM, etc...

If BBM was the foundation for SMS 2.0, carriers could offer many of the benefits of the competing services and maintain steady revenue from it without losing customers to those other services.
    The devils in the details. Would it have been true BBM with BlackBerry in control of the functionality? Nope. I can see it now. BlackBerry tries to add BBM voice. Carriers say no. BBM video. Hell no. Lol.

The carriers probably would have polluted it so badly no one would have liked it anyway.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    09-28-13 02:20 PM
    The devils in the details. Would it have been true BBM with BlackBerry in control of the functionality? Nope. I can see it now. BlackBerry tries to add BBM voice. Carriers say no. BBM video. Hell no. Lol.

The carriers probably would have polluted it so badly no one would have liked it anyway.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    Good point. Only recently are the unlimited voice/text plans becoming common here in Canada. Seems the new goldmine for carriers is in data which is part of the push to LTE I'm sure. But a few years ago, yeah, if BlackBerry had offered BBM voice (and possibly video) over BIS most carriers likely would have told them to feck off.

Now with BBM using data just like everyone else, I'm sure they're more than happy to promote it!
    09-28-13 02:32 PM
    I bought a Blackberry when as a business owner I realized I needed a smartphone. Then I noticed other professionals using their Blackberrys also. Since then, the fashion has dictated that everyone needs a smartphone. From my 11 year old niece to my 86 year old dad. My niece "needs" to text her friends about whatever happened in the 2 minutes since they saw each other, my dad inputs manually the next Rotary meeting a week ahead in his calendar.
    I still own my business and my Blackberry is more relevant and useful than ever. Blackberry did not fail to adapt to my needs. Maybe they could have released a Twilight themed phone for my niece, or a George W Bush phone for my dad. Maybe they could have captured other markets, sought other demographics more aggressively. I'm glad they didn't leave my demographic, the professional who truly depends on connectivity for a living. In fact they have adapted very well to my needs. The Z10 is the best, we'll see about the Z30.
    OP, cgk, what do hope to accomplish with all of your Berry bashing? Are you a success if Blackberry dissolves into nothing? Are you a miserable failure as long as Blackberry survives? What is your end game?
    aminrajabi likes this.
    09-28-13 02:57 PM
    Maybe they could have released a Twilight themed phone for my niece, or a George W Bush phone for my dad.
    Perhaps the smartphone market would be more understandable if you didn't trivialize your niece or your dads criteria for selecting a smartphone vs your own more serious business needs. The smartphone handset industry probably makes just as much off of your niece and your dad as they do off of you these days. Steve Jobs liked to talk about cars and trucks saying that as the technology gets better, trucks begin to look a lot more like cars.
    09-28-13 03:20 PM
    (delete post please)
    Last edited by koolrosh; 09-28-13 at 04:56 PM.
    09-28-13 03:35 PM
    The way I see it, they all had good strategies, but because they were so divided, they didn't do anything right. It took them forever to execute on one thing, but did not follow a clear cut strategy.

Lasaridis=> Wanted to focus on Enterprise. Understood that they needed a better OS, but wanted to build a keyboard device only. Wanted to launch BB10 first with keyboard device.

Balsillie=> Saw the smartphone market as commoditised, so wanted to focus on services and cross-platform BBM. He also wanted Blackberry to start offering other services through Carriers, like cloud storage.

Thorsten=> Saw BB10 as the only way to save Blackberry and put all his focus on the launch. Cancelled all other projects and focused on delivering BB10. Wanted to launch with a touch screen first because he thought keyboard phones were dead and there was money to be made selling a superior touchscreen OS.

I think if any one of them was able to execute on their strategy from the beginning, BlackBerry would be in a better situation.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    app_Developer and flyingsolid like this.
    09-28-13 04:55 PM
    Wow, this really paints TH in a bad light. He was already failing before he took over and then he shelved what seem to be two very lucrative ideas, and even went back to one... for free.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 06:10 PM
    Blackberry still has one last card to play....which is staggering to get started...BB10. It is the best operating system, it can do more at one time than any of the others. Right now Apple is the one in the worst position with their OS. (As far as future development)
    BB10 is a brand new OS and a very good one.
    Best for whom? This little tidbit from the article (among others) struck a chord:

[M]any long-time BlackBerry users found that the new system was too different from the classic BlackBerry experience for their liking. Many of the little moments of delight, as they are called in the company, were forgotten or overlooked by the QNX developers who lacked ties to the companys past. For example, users cant hit u and look at the last unread message in their inbox, nor can they easily shift to the next or previous e-mail, as they could on older BlackBerrys.

The "BlackBerry experience" was a huge part of the appeal of being a BB owner. That no one saw how important it was to make sure it was completely incorporated into BB10 is stunning.
    09-28-13 07:08 PM
    See to me this article says a lot about how badly the company has been run the last half decade.

It's also funny that one of my earlier posts on this site was pretty much what balsillie tried to get the telecoms to do. Open up the BlackBerry noc so any phone could be covered on it and offer BlackBerry benefits to any customer willing to buy.

Posted via CB10
    QuickDime and aniym like this.
    09-28-13 07:23 PM
    The way I see it, they all had good strategies, but because they were so divided, they didn't do anything right. It took them forever to execute on one thing, but did not follow a clear cut strategy.
    This is a great point. I think a lot of companies that do well do so when there is one clear final decision maker.

I wonder if Lazardis' strategy would have actually resulted in more than $5B worth of value. It may have. Maybe the answer was to make the opposite of the iPhone, instead of yet another "iPhone killer"?
    09-28-13 07:25 PM
    Definitely a good article. There was a 12 parter that The Verge did on the destruction of Palm that is equally good. And pretty scary when you look at the similarities.
    09-28-13 07:38 PM
    Carriers were never going to share their cash cow with RIM. Imagine the free for all had we all been reliant on BBM for SMS as well, when the NOC went down a few times. Panic.
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-28-13 07:42 PM
    Carriers were never going to share their cash cow with RIM. Imagine the free for all had we all been reliant on BBM for SMS as well, when the NOC went down a few times. Panic.
    They would if it got them more smartphone buyers and less feature phone buyers at slightly higher transaction prices.

That was the strength of the bis plan it allowed people to have a smartphone at less of a premium than non bis plans.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:48 PM
    FYI, this article is available for free in the Globe App on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:56 PM
108 1234 ...