11-01-13 01:10 PM
203 ... 6789
tools
    if you peruse the comments in the CB blog post alone you`ll see it does still broadcast it, just `stealthily`, i know people that havent choosen it and its shown and ones that have chosen it and its shown. neither time does it alter it on your own individual device though. so nope, not nonsense, its even corroborated by others on this very website.
    Post a link because I need to see this, I asked several of my contacts did they get a message from me or if my status changed and I received a no on all fronts.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 12:05 AM
    Post a link because I need to see this, I asked several of my contacts did they get a message from me or if my status changed and I received a no on all fronts.

Posted via CB10

why would they get a message from you if its a status update? that doesnt make any sense at all. and it doesnt change whats shown just below your name either. it does however show in the `updates` tab.

Anyways, for the link, stop reading this page, open the app menu, select `home` and read the blogs. kinda hard not to miss it tbh.
    10-31-13 12:14 AM
    That's not their official page though:

It may not be their regular page, but look at the name of the account that posted that post, the name of the account responsible for that page, and all the rest of their posts there.

That is coming right from the horse's mouth.
    10-31-13 01:15 AM
    see, i hear this all the time, phone number baaaaaad, security baaaad boooooo.

Are you 12 y/o?

lets have some reality here, its not touted as some super secure ultra spy proof app, never has been. if your sending personal info that way, then i suggest you email it instead. i hear google and yahoo are good ones to use, so totally secure

Being a sarcastic jerk won't do much to prop up your weak argument.

yes im being faceitious, but its true, virtually nothing is secure, BBM included. its only really secure if your on a BES.

I never claimed that BBM is top secret secure, what I am telling you is that WhatsApp is a security and privacy DISASTER, because A) it has a history of serious security vulnerabilities, B) it spams your personal contact details all over the internet EVERY TIME YOU USE IT, and C) allows all sorts of strangers to contact you without any constraint.

With WhatsApp, if some unknown stranger starts bugging you, you can only block them after the fact. With BBM, not only are you not spamming your personal telephone number and/or email address all over the net every single time you use it, you also do not have to be subjected to harassment from strangers BY DEFAULT, because they cannot communicate with you until you approve them.

Poo-poo that all you want, that is a huge benefit of BBM, especially now that people are finally starting to pull their heads out of their collective rumps and figuring out that oversharing is not the great idea they once thought it was.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-31-13 01:25 AM
    I never claimed that BBM is top secret secure, what I am telling you is that WhatsApp is a security and privacy DISASTER, because A) it has a history of serious security vulnerabilities, [...]

Just to expand on the above:

Mathy Vanhoef: WhatsApp Considered Insecure

WhatsApp vulnerability for Spreading Malware - Hack Reports

WhatsApp vulnerability makes it possible to change status of other users | Your Daily Mac

A New Vulnerability in Whatsapp Messenger Allows you to Steal the Identity of Another Person - iPhonBuzz

WhatsApp to roll out stronger fixes for messaging vulnerability

Critical WhatsApp crypto flaw threatens user privacy, researchers warn | Ars Technica

I could go on, but hopefully you get the picture now.

WhatsApp is a security and privacy DISASTER.
    10-31-13 01:36 AM
    In the week since BBMx has been out, WhatsApp has released 2 updates on BB10 that provided small yet noticeable improvements to the user experience. They clearly take the threat of BBM seriously and are working to defend their cross platform IM turf. It's competition like this that gets us as consumers better products. Hoping BlackBerry takes this seriously and steps their game up quickly as well. I have no problem with WhatsApp living happily on my home screen next to BBM. Whichever people want to reach me on is fine with me.
    10-31-13 02:03 AM
    why would they get a message from you if its a status update? that doesnt make any sense at all. and it doesnt change whats shown just below your name either. it does however show in the `updates` tab.

Anyways, for the link, stop reading this page, open the app menu, select `home` and read the blogs. kinda hard not to miss it tbh.
    I said or if my status has changed and I received all no. And I have no recent updates.

Initiative to start removing WhatsApp-img_20130779.png

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 02:24 AM
    Thing is the average punter, within reason, is not concerned with security. They care about features and functionality. If bbm is to succeed in the long term it needs some killer features the other messaging apps don't have.
    People need a tangible reason to switch.
    10-31-13 03:56 AM
    Ok guys. New release offers unsubscribe.
    Yes I am (and was) aware of security concerns. But it helped me to convert at least 5 people to BB10.
    Yes I prefer BBM, yes I unsubscribed; but I have no grief and see no reason to be aggressive against them.

So, in the unsubscribe reason, don't forget to thank these guys for porting (quite) early their app on BB10.
    Omnitech likes this.
    10-31-13 04:08 AM
    I can send you many links of news stories from yesterday about yahoo and Google servers being spied on by the NSA. Do you think Google and yahoo will lose all their users?

BlackBerry played the security as their trump card, apple and android played usability and apps as theirs. Look at what consumers chose.

Also, jus so we are clear, yes you can block a PIN from bbm'ing you, however, if they have a BlackBerry you then cannot block them from sending you PIN level1 messages. So it's still not perfect.

Like I said, both platforms have advantages, both have disadvantages. Neither are a need for someone on the Internet to embolden and capitalise text just to try and make their point heard.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 05:56 AM
    I said or if my status has changed and I received all no. And I have no recent updates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130779.png 
Views:	415 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	216026

Posted via CB10
    It didn't change in your screen when you set your bb10 device up either.

I did clearly state it doesn't change what you see, but it does appear in your contacts updates on their phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 05:58 AM

I think the biggest blow in the BBM delay, for me, is I no longer trust them at all.
    It's not a delay, it's a question of whether I think the app will still be around in months to years. And I'm not sure. And BlackBerry's communications don't inspire confidence.
    This pretty much sums it up for me.

I have never installed whatsapp, LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, etc., because of security concerns and an early experience with Plaxo. I am now hesitant to give a piece of social. Software access to my address book and personal information.

However, BBM seemed different due to the use of Pins and the ability to restrict data shared. That, and BlackBerry's history of being security minded.

But BlackBerry has missed every major deadline that I can remember. Even the self-imposed deadlines. This relationship is littered with broken promises. Because of this, I'm jaded.

I've converted most of my family to BBM, mainly because they weren't big into any other cross platform messaging app. In spite of that, it did take a little encouragement on my part. But, now we are on board and the family is using the app to schedule events, share pictures and chat. For this to continue, development of the iOS and Android apps must move forward, rapidly.

I currently have a strong desire to purchase a Z30. I'm on AT&T so I'll have to pay full boat for a compatible device. However, I've also lined up a used iPhone 5 that will be available to me in December.

If BlackBerry screws up BBM like they have other things, then I'm done. Really done. Done as in I will toss this phone and my 9900, and I will never be back on a BlackBerry platform again. Ever.

I tell my employees and vendors, "Communicate with me and I'll work with you. Don't communicate or make me look like a fool, and this relationship will be short - lived."

BlackBerry has now had all of the chances I'm gonna give them. Do things right for a while and warn back a little trust.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 06:30 AM
    Just re-installed WhatsApp just so I can permanently delete my account,lol.

Via my Zormtrooper...
    10-31-13 06:32 AM
    Also seems like such poor form.

Don Diego endorses the Zed.
    10-31-13 06:33 AM
    Just re-installed WhatsApp just so I can permanently delete my account,lol.

Via my Zormtrooper...
    At least there is the option. How do you delete your BBID? Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 06:34 AM
    Why is everyone against whatsapp? It's nice to have it as well.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 06:36 AM
    I will not delete WhatsApp any time time soon. WhatsApp had app ready almost from the lunch of BB10 and I appreciate that very much.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 06:36 AM
    Why is everyone against whatsapp? It's nice to have it as well.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree. Greater choice makes for greater competition makes for greater products.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 06:41 AM
    I prefer WhatsApp. Somehow, my wife's BBM can reach me, but mine cannot reach her. So I prefer WhatsApp.

Initiative to start removing WhatsApp-img_00000681.png
    Initiative to start removing WhatsApp-img_00000680.png

Both of us use Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 07:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    How do you make themes for BlackBerry 10?

At the end of the day your contacts only see a pin not a phone number.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:25 AM
    How do you make themes for BlackBerry 10?
    You can't. One less option.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:42 AM
    I just deleted my WhatsApp account. My BBM contacts increased from 4 to 12 people. However, I tried really hard to persuade my friends to install it on their phones. What's surprising is that they were not even aware of cross-platform BBM. I hope BlackBerry figures out better marketing strategies.

Tan Okan Q10
    10-31-13 08:51 AM

KB25464-How to delete a BlackBerry ID

Lol
    10-31-13 07:48 PM
    What's surprising is that they were not even aware of cross-platform BBM. I hope BlackBerry figures out better marketing strategies.

Were you aware of most of the things a competitive platform that you've never used before was doing within a week of them becoming available?

I'd guess not.

Let's not jump to silly conclusions.

Yes, BlackBerry has had marketing problems for a while now. But failure of the entire world to know of something they just rolled-out within a week of rollout is not exactly a surprising situation for any vendor.
    10-31-13 07:53 PM
    Thing is the average punter, within reason, is not concerned with security. They care about features and functionality. If bbm is to succeed in the long term it needs some killer features the other messaging apps don't have.
    People need a tangible reason to switch.

I agree. And it seems that BlackBerry is FINALLY acting on user feedback recently, as I have noticed a decided change in follow-through on user suggestions/complaints over the last month or so.

Let's hope it's not too late.

I like BBM overall, but I also have a pretty good sized mental list of things I'd like to see added/improved.
    10-31-13 07:56 PM
203 ... 6789