11-01-13 01:10 PM
203 ... 56789
tools
    Even more stupid when you see how buggy the iOS version is. I, and the only other person I know that bothered to download it, have uninstalled. I guarantee thousands more remove it in short order. Bbm needs A LOT of work to even pull level with the competition. I think the OP will start to see his friends switch back to their former messaging application of choice.

I'll say this one more time. Giving bb's app situation, it's utterly stupid to start a thread on the most popular forum ( that includes a lot of DEVELOPERS) advising users to abandon a major app.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Twitter: xandermac
    Last edited by xandermac; 10-29-13 at 07:00 PM.
    10-29-13 04:05 PM
    No offense, but you're in Canada. None of my former BBM contacts here in the U.S. (all of whom had abandoned BB) have any interest. I've deleted the app.
    Sorry that is a weak excuse and just screams laziness. You can also invite your contacts to download the app through Facebook on bbm.com. With no prodding from me my friends and family downloaded it on their own and posted their pins onto their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages. I deleted whatsapp months ago before this "initiative" even happened just because I didn't like it.

It's #2 in the US and number 1 many other countries. http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app...-29&type=ranks

http://www.appannie.com/apps/google-...-29&type=ranks

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1791
    10-29-13 06:59 PM
    Even more stupid when you see how buggy the iOS version is. I, and the only other person I know that bothered to download it, have uninstalled. I guarantee thousands more remove it in short order. Bbm needs A LOT of work to even pull level with the competition. I think the OP will start to see his friends switch back to their former messaging application of choice.

Twitter: xandermac
    The app needs work on iPhone, no doubt. I visited some friends that I worked with on a project some time ago, and the Production Coordinator had installed BBM on her iPhone 5. She didn't like the notifications appearing on her lock screen for anyone to see. It wasn't enough of a deal killer for her to uninstall, but definitely a valid point.

Hopefully BlackBerry will take this initial success with BBM cross platform and roll out updates on a regular basis. There's lot's of work to be done and hopefully they recognize that.
    10-29-13 08:38 PM
    The app needs work on iPhone, no doubt. I visited some friends that I worked with on a project some time ago, and the Production Coordinator had installed BBM on her iPhone 5. She didn't like the notifications appearing on her lock screen for anyone to see. It wasn't enough of a deal killer for her to uninstall, but definitely a valid point.

Hopefully BlackBerry will take this initial success with BBM cross platform and roll out updates on a regular basis. There's lot's of work to be done and hopefully they recognize that.
    What's app does the same. So does text messages and imessage.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech likes this.
    10-30-13 01:40 AM
    What's app does the same. So does text messages and imessage.

Posted via CB10
    For the sake of being objective, What the user meant is that for BBM to have the option of displaying who the sender is on the lock screen without displaying the message... Whatsapp and Viber currently have that option that you can turn on or off... I would definitely would like that to be on BBM for iOS and Android users as well, and I have already logged it as a recommendation.
    10-30-13 07:45 AM
    Other applications also give you the option to choose which groups/individuals to mute/unmute. This is essential with a busy group as you don't want your lockscreen lighting up every 10 seconds but you do still want notifications from friends etc.. BBM does not offer this option. It also doesn't have an option to sign out if you choose.

For the sake of being objective, What the user meant is that for BBM to have the option of displaying who the sender is on the lock screen without displaying the message... Whatsapp and Viber currently have that option that you can turn on or off... I would definitely would like that to be on BBM for iOS and Android users as well, and I have already logged it as a recommendation.
    10-30-13 08:02 AM
    Other applications also give you the option to choose which groups/individuals to mute/unmute. This is essential with a busy group as you don't want your lockscreen lighting up every 10 seconds but you do still want notifications from friends etc.. BBM does not offer this option. It also doesn't have an option to sign out if you choose.
    You mean BBM for iOS and Android doesn't offer that... This option has always been available for BB users since before Whatsapp was born....
    10-30-13 08:13 AM
    Hello everyone,

Now that BBM is cross platform... How about we start by ourselves BB users to unsubscribe from Whatsapp and have it removed from our BlackBerrys? I have already done that myself, with my circle of friends and family... I haven't seen much resistance so far...

Cheers,
    I never had it, so do I win?
    mared_3400 likes this.
    10-30-13 08:41 AM
    You mean BBM for iOS and Android doesn't offer that... This option has always been available for BB users since before Whatsapp was born....
    iOS doesn't, not sure about Android. Some people seem to think Apple block this ability but that isn't true, all my messaging apps allow me to have selective notifications, except BBM.
    10-30-13 09:34 AM
    You know they are all having a group chat about you right now.....
    This made me laugh..!

From the Z...
    10-30-13 10:53 AM
    It seems that BlackBerry Ltd themselves seem to have no problem with this sort of strategy.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...atsapp-867889/
    10-30-13 05:54 PM
    http://blackberryempire.com/whatsapp...erious-threat/

In case you needed a reason. It's on now. I have no sympathy for whatsapp. I thought this was a fan made picture.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1791
    Last edited by R Field; 10-30-13 at 07:23 PM.
    10-30-13 07:12 PM
    FYI there's an update to whatsapp now you can delete your account.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 08:26 PM
    FYI there's an update to whatsapp now you can delete your account.

Posted via CB10
    Done

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 08:33 PM
    It was specifically the sloppy coding and lack of privacy that rendered WhatsApp utterly uninteresting to me from the start. Can't blame BlackBerry for that.
    lol this makes me laugh, `lack of privacy` yet when you update BBM installations you get your status automatically set without your permission to `i just got BlackBerry 10` or summat like that, and now with the channels beta update (and presumably the full version) you get yet another status forced upon you.

can you imagine the uproar there would be if when you update the facebook app it makes a new status on your profile? or even if the whatsapp status message changed?

Im sorry, BBM is nice an all, but i for one dont like these forced statuses, thats one of the reasons im not even touching this beta release.
    10-30-13 08:52 PM
    lol this makes me laugh, `lack of privacy` yet when you update BBM installations you get your status automatically set without your permission to `i just got BlackBerry 10` or summat like that, and now with the channels beta update (and presumably the full version) you get yet another status forced upon you.

can you imagine the uproar there would be if when you update the facebook app it makes a new status on your profile? or even if the whatsapp status message changed?

Im sorry, BBM is nice an all, but i for one dont like these forced statuses, thats one of the reasons im not even touching this beta release.
    Not true at all, and I'm very surprise you will post such non-sense you have a very good track record.

I just updated to the latest channel beta and no such status was forced on me, there was a X there to close out the status message or an update button to post it.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 09:09 PM
    WhatsApp is taking BBM as a serious threat - BlackBerry Empire

In case you needed a reason. It's on now. I have no sympathy for whatsapp. I thought this was a fan made picture.

For those who need a little spoonfeeding, here is a screenshot from the "Join WhatsApp" page right now - which preceded BlackBerry's dig back at them:

Initiative to start removing WhatsApp-whatsapp_caps_on_blackberry_2013-10-30.png
    10-30-13 09:13 PM
    WhatsApp is taking BBM as a serious threat - BlackBerry Empire

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1791
    Let's see what all the "not to remove WhatsApp" people on here have to say about this.
    10-30-13 09:16 PM

If you honestly think that an occasional status update that in most cases is disableable is equivalent to all the security vulnerabilities that WhatsApp has suffered, along with the fact that you have to broadcast your phone number to the whole world to use that stupid thing and allow any stranger to just start harassing you as a result of it, then I think there must be some crossed neurons somewhere.
    10-30-13 09:16 PM
    Let's see what all the "not to remove WhatsApp" people on here have to say about this.
    No one is complaining about the competition between the companies. Bb app world is w/o a doubt the worst App Store (from a quality pov) on the market right now. Bb users should applaud all the major developers that support the platform.

10-30-13 10:02 PM
    Bb app world is w/o a doubt the worst App Store (from a quality pov) on the market right now.
    But you gotta hand it them, they have more city apps than all the other app stores combined.... squared.
    10-30-13 10:38 PM
    No one is complaining about the competition between the companies. Bb app world is w/o a doubt the worst App Store (from a quality pov) on the market right now. Bb users should applaud all the major developers that support the platform.

And guess what... I did make my choice... I chose BBM over the rest of the competition.

The only App that I do want and can't find in BB World is Netflix. But since BB is so great, I am able to sideload it and use Netflix with no issues.
    10-30-13 10:39 PM
    For those who need a little spoonfeeding, here is a screenshot from the "Join WhatsApp" page right now - which preceded BlackBerry's dig back at them:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp_caps_on_BlackBerry_2013-10-30.PNG 
Views:	304 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	215927
    That's not their official page though:

https://www.facebook.com/whatsapp.official
    10-30-13 10:41 PM
    If you honestly think that an occasional status update that in most cases is disableable is equivalent to all the security vulnerabilities that WhatsApp has suffered, along with the fact that you have to broadcast your phone number to the whole world to use that stupid thing and allow any stranger to just start harassing you as a result of it, then I think there must be some crossed neurons somewhere.
    see, i hear this all the time, phone number baaaaaad, security baaaad boooooo.

lets have some reality here, its not touted as some super secure ultra spy proof app, never has been. if your sending personal info that way, then i suggest you email it instead. i hear google and yahoo are good ones to use, so totally secure

yes im being faceitious, but its true, virtually nothing is secure, BBM included. its only really secure if your on a BES.

either way, iv never had my account `compromised` whereas have had issues on hotmail back in the day (aka spam central) and also on gmail. and iv never had strangers `randomly harassing me` either on whatsapp. but heres a funny story, on my dev alpha C i get about 2 or 3 random invites a day to BBM. why? because i have to provide a support email to BB World, and that just so happens to be my BBID for that device (not my main device), but i get multiple adds from `any stranger` on BBM, not whatsapp. now heres the beauty of it, BBM i can decline the chat and poof! the person is gone. whatsapp i can block the contact and poof! the contact is gone. thus the `harassing` cant happen on either platform.

And lets be clear here, if you plug your BBID into a new BB10 phone, there isnt a way to stop the `now updated to BB10` message, so lets not be calling the disableable eh.

Anyways, people should look at the media improvements in the update that just came out for whatsapp, looks very nice (larger better images) and `request higher quality?` nah, jus give it to me from the off thanks.

Both platforms have their merits. a huge one for whatsapp is diversity, as it covers far more platforms than BBM does.
    10-30-13 11:36 PM
    Not true at all, and I'm very surprise you will post such non-sense you have a very good track record.

I just updated to the latest channel beta and no such status was forced on me, there was a X there to close out the status message or an update button to post it.

Posted via CB10
    if you peruse the comments in the CB blog post alone you`ll see it does still broadcast it, just `stealthily`, i know people that havent choosen it and its shown and ones that have chosen it and its shown. neither time does it alter it on your own individual device though. so nope, not nonsense, its even corroborated by others on this very website.
    10-30-13 11:39 PM
203 ... 56789