11-01-13 01:10 PM
203 ... 45678 ...
tools
    This is competition buddy... and it applies to all the rest and not just Whatsapp... my Viber account got removed as well from my iOS device, and considering the fact that they are not supporting BB10, I couldn't feel any better.... No one is forcing you to remove Whatsapp or any other app... You are more than welcomed to join the initiative though.
    I'm well aware of the situation. I don't think you guys understand how you all are hindering support for bb by doing this. If bbm is truly better it will beat out the competition. Sorry, I don't join corny initiatives. You guys cry foul when developers opt to not develop and in the same breath try to push users away from a major app. That's not smart baseball my friend.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-27-13 08:24 AM
    I'm well aware of the situation. I don't think you guys understand how you all are hindering support for bb by doing this. If bbm is truly better it will beat out the competition. Sorry, I don't join corny initiatives. You guys cry foul when developers opt to not develop and in the same breath try to push users away from a major app. That's not smart baseball my friend.

Considering the fact that we've had Whatsapp and BBM running side by side for a long time... We already know that BBM is better
    10-27-13 08:32 AM
    BBM is not really a cross platform app.
    BBM is only available on ios,BB and android.
    Look at WhatsApp its available on every single OS like ios,BB,android,wp,Symbian,asha and s40.
    If BB launches app for all the other OS no one will use WhatsApp,Line,Wechat,viber,etc messaging app.
    Last edited by Skyrocker007; 10-27-13 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typing mistake
    10-27-13 08:48 AM
    I say leave what app until the full version of bbm is released on ios and android

Z30-Q10-Z10-iP5
    10-28-13 03:55 AM
    Point is it'll only make more space avail on your device. Besides that, you'll still be pointed out as "active user", unless you trick it using another brand device. I didn't find a way to cancel my account under BB10.

So, I like the alternative; keep it for those who cannot have BBM (WP) or don't want it, but indicate you prefer BBM.
    mared_3400 likes this.
    10-28-13 06:18 AM
    I gave everyone one weeks notice since Monday last and deleted yesterday (Sunday). No more Whatscrap!!! Yeah.

Via my Zormtrooper...
    10-28-13 06:38 AM
    I don't think you guys understand how you all are hindering support for bb by doing this.
    No, you don't seem to understand that BBM is one of the last great hopes to get this company back on the map with the citizens of the world.

Because THAT is what is hindering support for BlackBerry. It seems that you would prefer it to just slowly sink down to the bottom of the sea.

If BlackBerry successfully leverages the explosive popularity of cross-platform BBM right now (Currently the fastest-growing messaging app in the world, the #2 free app for iOS worldwide, the #6 app for Android in the USA (above ALL other messaging apps, ie Skype, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Kik, etc.), then THAT is what is going to put them back on the map.

It's do-or-die time.

As I wrote above, WhatsApp knew BBM was going cross-platform in May, and BBM existed for many years before WhatsApp was a product. WhatsApp has had plenty of time to pick up their marbles and go home. It's called competition.
    mared_3400 and R Field like this.
    10-28-13 08:08 PM
    No, you don't seem to understand that BBM is one of the last great hopes to get this company back on the map with the citizens of the world.

Because THAT is what is hindering support for BlackBerry. It seems that you would prefer it to just slowly sink down to the bottom of the sea.

If BlackBerry successfully leverages the explosive popularity of cross-platform BBM right now (Currently the fastest-growing messaging app in the world, the #2 free app for iOS worldwide, the #6 app for Android in the USA (above ALL other messaging apps, ie Skype, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Kik, etc.), then THAT is what is going to put them back on the map.

It's do-or-die time.

As I wrote above, WhatsApp knew BBM was going cross-platform in May, and BBM existed for many years before WhatsApp was a product. WhatsApp has had plenty of time to pick up their marbles and go home. It's called competition.
    Why would you create a thread calling for the exodus of one the most important apps (that supported your platform since day one)? All I'm saying is that this type of behavior could potentially put off a lot of developers. If you can't respect that, your whole perspective is wack (c) Jay-z

10-28-13 08:35 PM
    All I needed to hear was privacy lawsuit and it was gone for me! Adios

On my BlackBerry Z10 running 10.2 on Rogers
    10-28-13 08:40 PM
    Why would you create a thread calling for the exodus of one the most important apps (that supported your platform since day one)? All I'm saying is that this type of behavior could potentially put off a lot of developers. If you can't respect that, your whole perspective is wack (c) Jay-z

Maybe they'll love it when BlackBerry fades to black
    10-28-13 08:43 PM

Omnitech didn't create the thread, nor is he calling for people to dump WhatsApp. He's talking about competition.

His perspective is far from wack, it's pretty bang on, imo. WhatsApp is one of many competitors in a crowded field that BBM has just entered cross platform. And BlackBerry isn't WhatsApp's only competition, lol. I assume you've heard of Hangouts, and iMessage?

WHY do BlackBerry users have to bow down to WhatsApp? Do iPhone users? Do Android users? NO, they don't, as you bloody well know... It's everyone for themselves on other platforms. ONLY on BlackBerry are we supposed to prostrate ourselves to any developer that deigns to build for the platform.

Which is ridiculous when you really think about it.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    10-28-13 09:02 PM
    Maybe they'll love it when BlackBerry fades to black
    Unlike you, who's been holding the torch as a true BlackBerry fan, lol.
    10-28-13 09:03 PM
    Omnitech didn't create the thread, nor is he calling for people to dump WhatsApp. He's talking about competition.

His perspective is far from wack, it's pretty bang on, imo. WhatsApp is one of many competitors in a crowded field that BBM has just entered cross platform. And BlackBerry isn't WhatsApp's only competition, lol. I assume you've heard of Hangouts, and iMessage?

WHY do BlackBerry users have to bow down to WhatsApp? Do iPhone users? Do Android users? NO, they don't, as you bloody well know... It's everyone for themselves on other platforms. ONLY on BlackBerry are we supposed to prostrate ourselves to any developer that deigns to build for the platform.

Which is ridiculous when you really think about it.
    I'll say this one more time. Giving bb's app situation, it's utterly stupid to start a thread on the most popular forum ( that includes a lot of DEVELOPERS) advising users to abandon a major app.

m1a1mg and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-28-13 09:28 PM
    I'll say this one more time. Giving bb's app situation, it's utterly stupid to start a thread on the most popular forum ( that includes a lot of DEVELOPERS) advising users to abandon a major app.

I doubt this thread will have an affect one way or another. It's not an official BlackBerry forum.

That's like saying anything people say on XDA-Developers represents Google.
    10-28-13 09:34 PM

I still don't get your rational on, how pushing BBM forward by convincing BB users to abandon their direct competitors will impact others from developing for BB? I totally don't think WhatsApp is in a situation to stop their BB support and lose the millions of BB users, especially now that BB is on iOS and Android.... And I will say it one more time... WhatsApp didn`t support BB10 and BBOS because of their love to the BB community, but because it is for their best interest to do so. If you have a personal interest in keeping WhatsApp ahead of BBM that is something totally different... From my side, I will do all I can to increase BBM`s market share among the people around me that I can impact... I`ve had success so far.
    bennelong likes this.
    10-28-13 11:54 PM
    I removed it as soon as bbm went cross platform. My girlfriend and my best friends got bbm only for me. It's only a matter of time until they start adding more people.

For the rest, I still have Facebook, my carrier text messages and a cellphone number they can dial.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 12:03 AM

I assume that is a rhetorical question because I did not create this thread.

I repeat: your assertion that such a thread is so "potentially" damaging (as if threads like this really are more important than actual market performance of products) is not proven, and in fact I dispute it directly.

Whereas the more people BlackBerry Ltd. gets on BBM (and this almost necessarily means the abandonment of competing IM apps, such as WhatsApp and everything else), it will clearly and demonstrably make a positive impact on their company's success.

Once again - WhatsApp has had since May to run away from direct competition with BBM. Anyone who honestly thinks that BlackBerry partisans would NOT suggest adopting BBM at the expense of other competitors such as WhatsApp, GoogleTalk, Skype and so on, has a hole in their head.

So what have Google and Microsoft done this week in response to this "terrible threat"? Updated their BB10 IM apps (Google Talk, Skype) to be better competition.

That's what competition is supposed to do.
    bennelong, mared_3400 and R Field like this.
    10-29-13 04:07 AM
    Oh, and you know what's funny?

Because of those recent Skype and Google Talk updates, I'm actually more inclined to install them on my own devices now. I now have a specific reason to use Skype - it's the best option to communicate with someone overseas I recently started talking with - and the recent update makes me less leery of installing it on one of my devices than I was before.

Re: Google Talk, I never found a multi-service IM client for BB10 that I liked as much as what I used on BBOS (BeeJive), so I'll probably install that too, just to have more options. (I also have Yahoo Instant Messenger installed)

I never had the slightest interest in WhatsApp because of what I consider to be fatal flaws with privacy and sloppy coding.

Going forward, I'll definitely be promoting BBM. Not just because it's a BlackBerry product, but because it really is a superior platform to most of the other alternatives, even though I have a mental list of several things I'd like to see improved with it.
    mared_3400 likes this.
    10-29-13 04:18 AM
    10-29-13 07:23 AM
    I removed BBM because of the issue in post #3. If BB get their **** together and release an app with actual notification control (like every other app in the world) might give it another shot.
    10-29-13 08:58 AM
    Notifications are working as per the messaging/notification settings of the other platforms.

Posted via my Z10
    10-29-13 09:12 AM
    So on other platforms you have no option to mute particular groups or conversations? BBM on iOS is an all or nothing affair when it comes to notifications. No fine control at all.

Notifications are working as per the messaging/notification settings of the other platforms.

Posted via my Z10
    10-29-13 09:20 AM
    I gave everyone one weeks notice since Monday last and deleted yesterday (Sunday). No more Whatscrap!!! Yeah.

Via my Zormtrooper...
    You know they are all having a group chat about you right now.....
    10-29-13 03:09 PM
    This is one thread in a large forum. I doubt many developers will waste their time looking at CB on whether they should develop for the BlackBerry platform. If this is the case then I fear for the fiscal future of these companies lol. Companies use real hard number metrics to make decisions not just take 15 ppl saying they will delete an app.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:15 PM
    This is one thread in a large forum. I doubt many developers will waste their time looking at CB on whether they should develop for the BlackBerry platform. If this is the case then I fear for the fiscal future of these companies lol. Companies use real hard number metrics to make decisions not just take 15 ppl saying they will delete an app.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly don't over analyse guys. Once bbm reaches parity you can everyone to join bbm for free voice and video call. WhatsApp is probably not going to have that.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:18 PM
203 ... 45678 ...