11-01-13 02:10 PM
203 ... 34567 ...
tools
    What a stupid "initiative"...

You guys constantly whine at app developers for not making native BB10 apps and here Whatsapp makes an app for BB10 and you guys turn around try to screw with whatsapp...don't get me wrong, you will have zero impact (BBIM might take over the role of whatsapp in the broader community but it will not have anything to do with this).

If I was whatsapp and saw such shenanigans I'd definitely think twice about updating the BB app.
    You're right, we shouldn't support BBM cross platform because WhatsApp made a BB10 app. We should be grateful that they developed for our platform and leave it be.

Assuming BlackBerry goes under and we have to move to Apple or Android, what App Developers do you think we should be grateful to on those platforms?

I'm assuming you're coming at this from an altruistic point of view and that WhatsApp made a huge sacrifice in developing for BlackBerry? Unlike when they developed for other non-Apple/Android platforms that have even less market share.
    10-25-13 08:12 PM
    About 350 million people know what WhatsApp is
    And about 1.5 Billion or more people own smartphones.

So that means there's lots of room for growth in that market if I'm reading the numbers right.
    10-25-13 08:15 PM
    And about 1.5 Billion or more people own smartphones.

So that means there's lots of room for growth in that market if I'm reading the numbers right.
    Sure but I'd take 30% off that figure since a huge chunk of those users are in China. IM market there is crowded with one leading player (QQ). Doubt BBM or WhatsApp can make a dent in that market. India is the next frontier with smartphone sales growing sharply each year.
    10-25-13 09:19 PM
    Gone, deleted it!
    10-25-13 09:24 PM
    Sure but I'd take 30% off that figure since a huge chunk of those users are in China. IM market there is crowded with one leading player (QQ). Doubt BBM or WhatsApp can make a dent in that market. India is the next frontier with smartphone sales growing sharply each year.
    China is its own market, no doubt.

India is open to all vendors, regardless of hardware (iPhone, Android, etc). It's app driven, so BBM has an equal shot if they can offer a service comparable to Google Hangouts, iMessage, etc.
    10-25-13 09:26 PM
    after reading this thread, I would absoletely immediately pull bb10 support if I were whatsapp. and believe me, bb10 will not have a future beyond 2013 if that happens.
    Akuji_ism, Etios and DINGSTER1 like this.
    10-26-13 12:16 AM
    What a stupid "initiative"...

You guys constantly whine at app developers for not making native BB10 apps and here Whatsapp makes an app for BB10 and you guys turn around try to screw with whatsapp...don't get me wrong, you will have zero impact (BBIM might take over the role of whatsapp in the broader community but it will not have anything to do with this).

If I was whatsapp and saw such shenanigans I'd definitely think twice about updating the BB app.
    I think if WhatsApp were to not update their BB10 app, we'd be even more inclined to persuade our contacts into using BBM..

From the Z...
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    10-26-13 05:05 AM
    Everyone that was on Whatsapp is now on BBM for me, so I removed it a few days ago!.
    10-26-13 05:07 AM
    after reading this thread, I would absoletely immediately pull bb10 support if I were whatsapp. and believe me, bb10 will not have a future beyond 2013 if that happens.
    I don't believe you. Most people switch to bbm right away.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    10-26-13 08:25 AM

Oh yep, BB10 is doomed without WhatsApp. [rolleyes]

If that were to actually happen - and who cares at this point - people would just go back to sideloading or OpenWhatsapp, or even more likely BBM.

WhatsApp is not operating a charity and neither is BlackBerry - who BTW probably paid WhatsApp a significant chunk of change to port that app over in the first place.

But like I wrote earlier, BBM precedes WhatsApp for many years and has ALWAYS been an IM competitor. If BlackBerry is willing to bend over backwards to help a competitor to compete with them, what on this earth entitles WhatsApp to continuous coddling and artificial support from this known competitor, who announced BBM cross-platform back in May?

That's called competition. If WhatsApp was going to be all pissy about it, they should have pulled the app 6 months ago. Instead, they have been benefitting from the nice little userbase bump from BlackBerry users.

Must be terrible for them.
    bennelong likes this.
    10-26-13 09:04 AM
    Oh yep, BB10 is doomed without WhatsApp. [rolleyes]

If that were to actually happen - and who cares at this point - people would just go back to sideloading or OpenWhatsapp, or even more likely BBM.

WhatsApp is not operating a charity and neither is BlackBerry - who BTW probably paid WhatsApp a significant chunk of change to port that app over in the first place.

But like I wrote earlier, BBM precedes WhatsApp for many years and has ALWAYS been an IM competitor. If BlackBerry is willing to bend over backwards to help a competitor to compete with them, what on this earth entitles WhatsApp to continuous coddling and artificial support from this known competitor, who announced BBM cross-platform back in May?

That's called competition. If WhatsApp was going to be all pissy about it, they should have pulled the app 6 months ago. Instead, they have been benefitting from the nice little userbase bump from BlackBerry users.

Must be terrible for them.
    BB10 is doomed with whatsapp, so it's certainly doomed without it...
    10-26-13 10:23 AM
    I agree. OP/other posters act as if developers don't read this forum.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    DINGSTER1 and Etios like this.
    10-26-13 10:30 AM
    I don't believe you. Most people switch to bbm right away.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    Not true. I sent bbm invites to everyone on my what's app list/google hangouts. As of right now I have one bbm contact.

Akuji_ism and Etios like this.
    10-26-13 10:32 AM
    What a great way tell your family and friends "Guess what? Supporting Blackberry is more important to me than my connection with you. Goodbye."
    m1a1mg and Etios like this.
    10-26-13 10:38 AM
    Not true. I sent bbm invites to everyone on my what's app list/google hangouts. As of right now I have one bbm contact.

That's just cause nobody wants to be your friend . My BBM list jumped from 23 to 68 of my friends now. A lot of them made the jump their pins are plastered all on their Facebook Instagram and twitter pages.

Initiative to start removing WhatsApp-img_20131560.png

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    neteng1000 likes this.
    10-26-13 11:16 AM
    That's just cause nobody wants to be your friend . My BBM list jumped from 23 to 68 of my friends now. A lot of them made the jump their pins are plastered all on their Facebook Instagram and twitter pages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131560.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	431.1 KB 
ID:	214509

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    Lol getting random pins is easy. I'm talking about family members/friends etc etc

mikeo007 and Etios like this.
    10-26-13 11:26 AM
    As soon as I can figure out an easy way to delete all my contact info and phone number, I'm going to uninstall it and never look back

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 01:36 PM
    So basically, many of you are acting like the general population did with regard to BlackBerry? The irony on CB is beyond my comprehension sometimes.
    10-26-13 02:36 PM
    What you need to tell your friends who have a different chat app.

Bbm has group calendar integration.

Only of you have enough friends to create a group that is....... and who actually cares a ****.

Z30-Q10-Z10-iP5
    10-26-13 03:14 PM
    It's long gone :-D

Hapus iawn
    10-26-13 03:55 PM
    No offense, but you're in Canada. None of my former BBM contacts here in the U.S. (all of whom had abandoned BB) have any interest. I've deleted the app.
    Poirots Progeny and Etios like this.
    10-26-13 08:51 PM
    No offense, but you're in Canada. None of my former BBM contacts here in the U.S. (all of whom had abandoned BB) have any interest. I've deleted the app.
    ......but I Just.Can't.Stop.Myself.From.Coming.To Crackberry.And.Raining.On.Everyone's.Parade.

Help Me.....Please?!?
    Brandon Orr and playbookster like this.
    10-26-13 09:18 PM
    I agree. OP/other posters act as if developers don't read this forum.

So what if they read it? Whatsapp is going to be like... "Hey we are pretty angry now from this initiative... let's remove the app from BB world and show the world how we lost 10s of millions of subscribers just when BBM got released..."... Smart idea, don't you think so?
    Last edited by mared_3400; 10-27-13 at 09:13 AM.
    10-27-13 08:20 AM
    So what if they read it? Whatsapp is going to be like... "Hey we are pretty agree now from this initiative... let's remove the app from BB world and show the world how we lost 10s of millions of subscribers just when BBM got released..."... Smart idea, don't you think so?
    No, the smart idea is starting threads on a forum (where a lot of developers post btw) encouraging people to abandon an app. Whatsapp was one of the first major developers on board. Hopefully this thread backfires, and all the developers that are thinking about developing hold off.

Poirots Progeny and Etios like this.
    10-27-13 09:08 AM
    No, the smart idea is starting threads on a forum (where a lot of developers post btw) encouraging people to abandon an app. Whatsapp was one of the first major developers on board. Hopefully this thread backfires, and all the developers that are thinking about developing hold off.

This is competition buddy... and it applies to all the rest and not just Whatsapp... my Viber account got removed as well from my iOS device, and considering the fact that they are not supporting BB10, I couldn't feel any better.... No one is forcing you to remove Whatsapp or any other app... You are more than welcomed to join the initiative though.
    10-27-13 09:17 AM
203 ... 34567 ...