In the latest turn to the long pending matter around BlackBerry service usage in India, the Government has issued a directive to telecom operators not to provide "certain" BlackBerry services until such a time monitoring systems are put in place.

In a written reply to Parliament yesterday, Minister of State for Communications and IT, Jyotiraditya Scindia, said, "Instructions have been issued to all mobile service providers, inter alia, asking them not to connect or provide/run certain BlackBerry services unless the required monitoring systems are in place." What is implied by "certain" is not exactly known though industry sources reveal that emails sent from one BlackBerry to another may be barred.

The government's move comes on the heels of repeated concerns raised by national security agencies over the potential risk posed by BlackBerry usage since calls and emails exchanged between BlackBerry devices cannot be intercepted as the servers are based in Canada. The Indian Government has already asked BlackBerry licensor Research in Motion (RIM) to route all its calls and emails via servers based in India so that security agencies are able to read these and ensure their not being misused by terrorist and anti-national outfits.

Meanwhile, RIM officials are reported to have sought time till the end of this month to explain their position and address issues voiced by the Indian Government. Failing to come out with a viable solution may be faced with 'strict action,' the Government has warned RIM.

As regards the latest Government directive, Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) Director General, T V Ramachandran said, "We will abide by whatever the government requires. We have no issue". Although Ramachandran hasn't quite said whether services will be disrupted on account of the directive.

BlackBerry services are offered in the country by Airtel, Reliance Communications, Vodafone Essar, and BPL Mobile. While there are no official numbers available, India is believed to have an estimated more than half a million BlackBerry users.

Source:TechTree April 18, 2008
    Techtree.com India > News > Telecom > Government Bans Certain BlackBerry Services
    04-19-08 12:48 PM
    Good for India, they should be doing this especially with heightened violence in the region.
    04-19-08 01:17 PM
    I agree...India has huge security concerns especially since the government suspects that terror outfits are gradually moving on to using BBs....And with half a million BB users and counting(India is the second largest handheld market after China...It's larger than US), RIM can ignore this at it's own peril...They definitely wouldt want to get shut out from India.
    04-19-08 02:40 PM
    Ya u ppl are wack! Cmon we'r in a democracy..we aint in korea,china .. If we wanna use a bb we use ur bb'z!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 02:52 PM
    You will recall that the issue revolved around the Indian Government not being able to crach RIM's 128 bit encryption and that RIM would not, quite rightly, give them the key.

Most Givnrments like to keep an eye on what its population is sending over the airwaves and for their own reasons then have now stopped certain services.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-26-08 at 09:59 PM.
    06-26-08 09:56 PM
    I really hope RIM sticks to their guns on this. I just am not comfortable with anybody, let alone a government, reading or listening to my private phone calls or emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 10:41 PM
    Bottom line is they are looking to violate their countries civil rights (as if they have any), they still use the Caste system and treat people poorly.

Terrorists and Anti-Nationalists are going to use alternate means to communicate like satellite phones and other encrypted methods. I recall there is a memory card that can be used in pairs to create an encrypted GSM phone link.
    06-27-08 12:44 PM
    A lot is confusing about this saga..

- Are they talking about BIS exclusively for the Indian carriers?

- Are they talking BES too? If so, that would require a poisoned BES and device I would think. Unless RIM is hiding something BIG about their security options/model.

- What about roaming users just traveling through?

Just by remotely entertaining this RIM has made a lot of people interesting in the BB for security very nervous.
    06-27-08 09:55 PM
    in canada and america, whether you know it or now, ur cell phone and home phone calls/messages are monitored. america has some pretty crazy laws that pretty much allows the governent to monitor, arrest, and detain whoever they want. what india wants isn't so far fetched. now that doesn't mean i agree. in fact im kinda on the fence. monitoring for terrorism and national threats aint a bad idea and all countries do it, but still i still like privacy. these topics are always being debated. i mean it really comes down to how these laws are carried out.

violate civil rights? hahahahah look at america. it almost seems like civil rights are a thing of the past, more like civil privileges.
    Last edited by avmsam; 06-28-08 at 12:09 AM.
    06-28-08 12:05 AM
    in canada and america, whether you know it or now, ur cell phone and home phone calls/messages are monitored. what india wants isn't so far fetched. now that doesn't mean i agree. in fact im kinda on the fence. usually they only monitor for national threats and nothing else, but still i still like privacy.
    There is a huge different between monitoring voice and SMS and monitoring a BES which is to provide server to client security. Furthermore the BES with S/MIME to provide end-to-end security. Monitoring the email as it traverses their Internet pipes unencrypted is one thing but the fact that they most certainly do that and then further want the keys to the BIS or BES concerns me. Not because they want it but because RIM seems to think they can be given if needed. BIS makes sense but BES falling into this category raises many other questions about their secured solutions.
    06-28-08 12:08 AM
    in canada and america, whether you know it or now, ur cell phone and home phone calls/messages are monitored. america has some pretty crazy laws that pretty much allows the governent to monitor, arrest, and detain whoever they want. what india wants isn't so far fetched. now that doesn't mean i agree. in fact im kinda on the fence. monitoring for terrorism and national threats aint a bad idea and all countries do it, but still i still like privacy. these topics are always being debated. i mean it really comes down to how these laws are carried out.

violate civil rights? hahahahah look at america. it almost seems like civil rights are a thing of the past, more like civil privileges.
    It is going to take decades if not much much longer to undo the damaged our current prez has done. Its embarrassing as a American and as a human being.

While it can be easy to say its all for national security anytime you give people the ability to access something that is supposed to be secured from the start they will use it for their own purposes.

Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, and I encourage Canadians to push the MP's to go against the international copyright crap the US is pushing. Pretty soon you will have small minded power mongering idiots at the border deciding if your iPod has stolen or legit movies and voila your new shiny iPod touch will be gone.
    06-28-08 08:09 AM
    Bottom line is they are looking to violate their countries civil rights (as if they have any), they still use the Caste system and treat people poorly.
    This comment about India is in extremely poor taste. I would request it to be withdrawn; if not, mods should edit it suitably.
    06-28-08 08:37 AM
    Excuse, me but my comment is based on fact and that was reported on by CNN and other major news organizations. So are you saying that facts are poor taste or that facts about a gov't that does regard its citizens with equal importance is in poor taste. I did not in anyway disparage the Indian people in fact I condemned a practice that should be abolished. I am not here for political purposes or to create personal attacks but the story was reported on in 2008 so its not old news or old hat but current news and current facts. I'm sorry you feel as you do but that has nothing to do with my opinion about a gov't that does not treat its people fairly or that it is using the premise of security as a way to circumvent the security a company offers to their products. The Indian Gov't has two very quick remedies at their disposal, first drop their claims or second tell all carriers in India they cannot offer RIM products and watch investment in India drop because their is no BB infrastructure.
    Last edited by ppcmd; 06-28-08 at 02:18 PM.
    06-28-08 02:11 PM
    This comment about India is in extremely poor taste. I would request it to be withdrawn; if not, mods should edit it suitably.
    As a person who has traveled to India numerous times for business I'd like to say the improvement in living conditions, rights, availability of education and information, etc. has greatly improved in the city-centers over the past decade.

And it's somewhat ironic that we know about Indian government tampering with telcos and such from public discourse but we only hear about it when it involves AT&T when uncovered by EFF or EPIC.

With that said I think the original comment and follow-up are accurate enough to stand on their own. Sorry.
    06-29-08 04:17 PM
    ....With that said I think the original comment and follow-up are accurate enough to stand on their own. Sorry.
    BBIronMan, India is a democracy and we value differing opinions and points of view. My objection is to the following generalization:

06-30-08 06:38 AM
    Again my comments were not political or an attempt to label the Indian people but as a reflection of how people are still treated the Caste System. I did not say the people of India want to be treated that way but India is a free and democratic county. They should elect the people who will bring change,modernization and education to everyone. If you were offended that was not my intention. Governments everyday violate people right and most do not know its even going on, even her in the US.

Still the Indian Gov't has options and they could very well shut down BIS/BES services and that would just make the "terrorist" use other means that are also secure.

Here is a WinMobile alternative that will do the same thing for phone calls.

Windows GSM phones get 'unbreakable' encryption: News - Security - ZDNet Australia
    06-30-08 11:41 AM
    A welcome change for BB users in India seems to be around the corner:

No threat from Blackberry services: govt-Business-The Times of India
    07-02-08 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD