Apple planning to bring iMessage to Android at WWDC

This should be interesting

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-09-16 06:56 PM
    Jobs said he was going to open source Facetime but then decided not to because it helped their 'walled garden'. Same reason for iMessage. Thats really big news if true.
    06-09-16 07:08 PM
    I can't help but think this is a sign that Apple agrees with the analysts who say the iPhone is on the decline. Going cross-platform makes sense to me only if the long-term plan is to monetize by selling iMessage as a stand-alone entity. Much like BBM, keeping it within the family made sense if the purpose is to sell your device.

If not to sell Apple devices, how would Apple make $ from iMessage on Android devices? Serious question as I have never used it. Is there something like BBM Channels that theoretically be monetized?
    06-09-16 09:18 PM
    They're doing the exact same thing as blackberry did with BBM? Maybe BBM, whatsapp and Imessage will now have to compete a lot harder!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-11-16 02:16 PM
    I can't help but think this is a sign that Apple agrees with the analysts who say the iPhone is on the decline. Going cross-platform makes sense to me only if the long-term plan is to monetize by selling iMessage as a stand-alone entity. Much like BBM, keeping it within the family made sense if the purpose is to sell your device.

If not to sell Apple devices, how would Apple make $ from iMessage on Android devices? Serious question as I have never used it. Is there something like BBM Channels that theoretically be monetized?
    Apple is figuring it out way before iMessage is irrelevant. The important thing, right now, is hooking people on Apple's platform.

BlackBerry and BBM messed this one up.

So if Apple is afraid of iOS becoming less relevant, does that position OS X as a more important part of their strategy?
    06-11-16 03:38 PM

Both Apple and Google announced that apps can go on to a subscription model. ie monthly/annual fees. Putting iMessage on sub would be a millions of dollars revenue source for Apple, they could probably charge $1 a month for it or waive it if people also install and subscribe to Apple Music on the Playstore.
    06-12-16 03:52 PM
    no iMessage for Android revealed at today's WWDC.
    06-13-16 03:11 PM
    noticed that too, big disappointment
    06-13-16 05:03 PM
    Apple is figuring it out way before iMessage is irrelevant. The important thing, right now, is hooking people on Apple's platform.

So if Apple is afraid of iOS becoming less relevant, does that position OS X as a more important part of their strategy?
    imessage is irrelevant if you don't use an iphone. Just like BBM was before if you didn't use a BlackBerry. Even more so now that it went cross platform. Just another messaging app in the over saturated market of messaging apps.

Imessage will never succeed cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 05:35 PM
    Struck me as a little odd considering that they're quite clearly trying to transform iMessage into a platform - third-party app integration, stickers, and tons of other small little features/gimmicks that are trying to make it stand out from other messaging apps.

My guess is that it's coming, but they just weren't ready to announce it yet. They've got until September till iOS 10 is released anyways. Purely speculation on my part, I'm not privy to any special info, but the feature set seems like it's part of a bigger strategy than just selling iPhones.
    06-13-16 06:10 PM
    Struck me as a little odd considering that they're quite clearly trying to transform iMessage into a platform - third-party app integration, stickers, and tons of other small little features/gimmicks that are trying to make it stand out from other messaging apps.

My guess is that it's coming, but they just weren't ready to announce it yet. They've got until September till iOS 10 is released anyways. Purely speculation on my part, I'm not privy to any special info, but the feature set seems like it's part of a bigger strategy than just selling iPhones.
    That may be the problem with all the new stuff with iMessage, getting feature parity on an OS they don't control. Google has that problem with it's apps on IOS as well. Can't very well debut old iMessage on Android when new iMessage is gleaming on IOS. Apple might have some work to do to see what features they can pull into an Android app.
    06-13-16 09:34 PM
    The reason for expanding iMessage to Android is that, at some point, the ability of iMessage to draw or keep people in the iOS ecosystem is outweighed by users having to adopt other messaging platforms like FaceBook or WhatsApp to communicate with Android users. Microsoft has made a similar calculation by making Office as robust as possible on iOS and Android.

WWDC, being a developer's conference probably isn't the right venue to announce iMessage for Android since developers aren't going to have much to do with it. In fact, when it happens, there might not be much of an announcement. There may just be some kind of direct marketing to iMessage users to send a link to Android friends. Also, they may be wanting to release a full communications suite for Android with FaceTime. One would think that there would be a lot of beta testing out there before any formal announcement.
    deadcowboy likes this.
    06-14-16 01:24 AM
    The reason for expanding iMessage to Android is that, at some point, the ability of iMessage to draw or keep people in the iOS ecosystem is outweighed by users having to adopt other messaging platforms like FaceBook or WhatsApp to communicate with Android users. Microsoft has made a similar calculation by making Office as robust as possible on iOS and Android.

WWDC, being a developer's conference probably isn't the right venue to announce iMessage for Android since developers aren't going to have much to do with it. In fact, when it happens, there might not be much of an announcement. There may just be some kind of direct marketing to iMessage users to send a link to Android friends. Also, they may be wanting to release a full communications suite for Android with FaceTime. One would think that there would be a lot of beta testing out there before any formal announcement.
    I think staging has an impact. For example, getting payments into iMessage and working well and even a little competitive against current incumbents before expanding to the wild west of Android.

Also, I don't know how much freedom Apple has with FaceTime due to the patent litgation ongoing. iMessage may also be affected.
    06-14-16 10:43 AM
    imessage is irrelevant if you don't use an iphone. Just like BBM was before if you didn't use a BlackBerry. Even more so now that it went cross platform. Just another messaging app in the over saturated market of messaging apps.

Imessage will never succeed cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    Depends on how many users in your market have iMessage and just what features they bring. I know here in my little corner of the US, Apple is big and lots of people use iMessage without even knowing that they are using an IM. They don't understand why they can't see that I'm typing a reply or emoticons are different.. Or why I didn't get a phone that they could facetime me....

But in other markets where Android owns a much higher percentage of the market... iMessage will have a hard time.
    06-14-16 10:58 AM

Yes. Network effect.

It's all about software and market share now.
    iDevices will be more relevant and for longer if their reach is expanded into (communicating with users of) other platforms.

Even Microsoft tries hard to establish Office on iOS and Android mobile platforms now (while hoping theirs might or might not get any traction on its own)...

:-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    06-14-16 08:10 PM
    Seeing iMessage on a BlackBerry Priv would look 'interesting' lol

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    07-01-16 03:32 PM