08-21-15 09:19 AM
58 123
tools
    So you are the one to blame about those gigantic phones . What are you fingers made of, Pinocchio's nose?
    Joke a side, 4.5-4.7 if bezzels are slim is the sweat and completely not existing spot for me (flagship class).

Posted via CB10
    i'll also settle for 5 then but since the z30, its honestly the best size and couldn't go lower!
    07-27-15 04:43 AM
    . BB10 has had 8 tries in the past 30 months, 8 different devices, and none have had any serious traction in the consumer market, and they've even lost ground on their home turf, Enterprise and government.
    this. for me it wasn't that I didn't like bb10, but it clearly hasn't really caught on with consumers.. and android might just be the way to go.

the battery will be a challenge though, and if blackberry can make a 15-20 h battery life on native android they might just be the first company to achieve that on an android device... many android users might just switch for that reason alone loool...
    07-27-15 04:46 AM
    this. for me it wasn't that I didn't like bb10, but it clearly hasn't really caught on with consumers.. and android might just be the way to go.

the battery will be a challenge though, and if blackberry can make a 15-20 h battery life on native android they might just be the first company to achieve that on an android device... many android users might just switch for that reason alone loool...
    Not sure what you are talking about....

BlackBerry and most all of their current software solutions are all power HOGS. BB10 has terrible battery usage issues. It's only by putting a battery that is two times the size of other manufactures batteries that devices like the Z30 and Passport get the "hours" that users expect. Which I see as a problem for the SLIDER, cause where do you put a big batter in a device that needs to slit in half?

When Apple and Google got activesync email.... it did away with BlackBerry's advantage of long battery life. From that point on it was about how users used their devices.
    07-27-15 09:07 AM
    Battery will be a 'challenge?'. Only the Z10 had short battery life, which is greatly improved with the OS uodates.
    07-27-15 09:46 AM
    Not sure what you are talking about....

BlackBerry and most all of their current software solutions are all power HOGS. BB10 has terrible battery usage issues. It's only by putting a battery that is two times the size of other manufactures batteries that devices like the Z30 and Passport get the "hours" that users expect. Which I see as a problem for the SLIDER, cause where do you put a big batter in a device that needs to slit in half?

When Apple and Google got activesync email.... it did away with BlackBerry's advantage of long battery life. From that point on it was about how users used their devices.
    There are bigger batteries on some android devices that still don't last 5 hours with moderate usage (nexus 6 for example)

I get 20 hours minimum from LEAP (and Z30 before that) with moderate - heavy usage. both batteries are smaller capacity than the nexus 6.

BB10 is a lightweight OS compared to android and that's why I think it has battery issues. that is where the challenge is for BB if they choose to go all android
    07-27-15 10:10 AM
    There are bigger batteries on some android devices that still don't last 5 hours with moderate usage (nexus 6 for example)

I get 20 hours minimum from LEAP (and Z30 before that) with moderate - heavy usage. both batteries are smaller capacity than the nexus 6.

BB10 is a lightweight OS compared to android and that's why I think it has battery issues. that is where the challenge is for BB if they choose to go all android
    I think BB10 is a lightweight OS.... BB10 with the Android Runtime, is not.

But comparing the Nexus 6 with it's flagship hardware to a device like the LEAP... that is like comparing the gas mileage of a Ford Focus to at Ford Mustang. Yes the 2800mAH Battery in the LEAP gets 25HRS of TALK TIME vs the 3220mAH in the Nexus only has 24HRS. But look at the differences in the screens (size and resolution), the GPU, Processor, and Radios. That flagship hardware all uses more power....

If BlackBerry goes Android... it will be Android. Anything BlackBerry does will be ON TOP of Android and will use more power than stock Android would. Sure BlackBerry could do some energy saving like getting rid of widgets and live wallpapers, and using modes like Samsung and HTC have for Ultra Power Savings and Extreme Power Savings... but that all affects user experience.

Just look at what BBM does to Android....
    techvisor likes this.
    07-27-15 10:40 AM

But comparing the Nexus 6 with it's flagship hardware to a device like the LEAP... that is like comparing the gas mileage of a Ford Focus to at Ford Mustang. Yes the 2800mAH Battery in the LEAP gets 25HRS of TALK TIME vs the 3220mAH in the Nexus only has 24HRS. But look at the differences in the screens (size and resolution), the GPU, Processor, and Radios. That flagship hardware all uses more power....
    Right - you get an extra hour - but look at the difference in the full spec
    - the chip in the leap is so old you could go on the antique roadshow with it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and techvisor like this.
    07-27-15 10:48 AM
    BB10 has had 8 tries in the past 30 months, 8 different devices, and none have had any serious traction in the consumer market, and they've even lost ground on their home turf, Enterprise and government.
    You're assuming BB10 is inherently to blame for the lack of success and Android will address everything that caused this. But it is an utterly misleading assumption.
    07-27-15 11:44 AM
    You're assuming BB10 is inherently to blame for the lack of success and Android will address everything that caused this. But it is an utterly misleading assumption.
    One thing that an Android BlackBerry will address will be the cost of developing and maintaining BB10 but only if BB10 is no longer updated significantly.
    07-27-15 11:50 AM

15-20 hours of sot? I don't see BlackBerry's expertise on battery savings certainly not in the same league as Sony.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 11:52 AM

Android OS with full Google Services and all the goodies that includes.
    REAL Flagship Devices with features
    Competitive - or introductory pricing
    MAJOR Marketing - I'm talking... “Usul, we have ads the likes of which even Apple has never seen.”
    Carrier Support - Remember those BOGO offers that BlackBerry and Verizon had. Or when everyone that worked in the store had a BlackBerry?
    BlackBerry Experience with no noticeable impact on performance

That is pretty much all that would be required for the consumers market..... which is why I doubt it will happen.
    07-27-15 12:07 PM
    Android OS with full Google Services and all the goodies that includes.
    REAL Flagship Devices with features
    Competitive - or introductory pricing
    MAJOR Marketing - I'm talking... “Usul, we have ads the likes of which even Apple has never seen.”
    Carrier Support - Remember those BOGO offers that BlackBerry and Verizon had. Or when everyone that worked in the store had a BlackBerry?
    BlackBerry Experience with no noticeable impact on performance

That is pretty much all that would be required for the consumers market..... which is why I doubt it will happen.

And aren't you assuming that BB10 isn't to blame for the lack of success? I'm simply stating the facts. BB10 has been with us for 30 months now. That is a fact. In that time, BlackBerry has released 8 different BB10 devices. That is a fact. Each of those 8 devices has been unsuccessful. That is a fact. Over that 30 months and 8 devices, we've seen various all touch, 4-row keyboard, 3-row touch enabled keyboard, 4-row with a tool belt... So plenty of tries at form factors. Plenty of tries at different price categories. Hell, we've even had a couple different CEOs. The consistent thread is the BB10 devices failure to sell.

BlackBerry market share, user base, and revenue have all been in free fall for roughly 6 quarters straight. As a shareholder, and looking at things from a business-minded perspective, where would you want to see change? Because throwing money at marketing a product that has been failing for over 2 years is not a sound business decision.
    07-27-15 01:45 PM
    And aren't you assuming that BB10 isn't to blame for the lack of success? I'm simply stating the facts. BB10 has been with us for 30 months now. That is a fact. In that time, BlackBerry has released 8 different BB10 devices. That is a fact. Each of those 8 devices has been unsuccessful. That is a fact. Over that 30 months and 8 devices, we've seen various all touch, 4-row keyboard, 3-row touch enabled keyboard, 4-row with a tool belt... So plenty of tries at form factors. Plenty of tries at different price categories. Hell, we've even had a couple different CEOs. The consistent thread is the BB10 devices failure to sell.

BlackBerry market share, user base, and revenue have all been in free fall for roughly 6 quarters straight. As a shareholder, and looking at things from a business-minded perspective, where would you want to see change? Because throwing money at marketing a product that has been failing for over 2 years is not a sound business decision.
    Slider hasn't been tried yet......

And pretty sure I saw someone posting something about a flip phone.... or was it a bag phone that BlackBerry was working on.
    07-27-15 02:46 PM
    https://41.media.tumblr.com/1609b39e...wnvoo1_500.png

Specs and apps...?

8-o

(yeah, sorry, the usual... :-) )

  "BBAndr10d Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-27-15 02:55 PM
    I believe that is all they need, just one. The BB-Slider would be an awesome device; as you mentioned, the best of both worlds. But, I would rather they stick with BB10 OS. This OS is unique, it is still young with tons of potential. That's my take.
    07-27-15 03:15 PM
    A slider with detachable keyboard. In a perfect world I wish it could feature the QNX hypervisor running both BB10 and full Android (I know, I know)
    Last edited by menshawy; 07-28-15 at 04:33 AM.
    07-27-15 04:02 PM
    I'll upgrade every second year, ha!

Seriously, I got a new Z30 in box for after this one dies.

A newer phone is going to be faster, but the few times it will be noticeable won't be worth the $400 delta.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 04:32 PM
    And you sir win obscure Sci-fi reference of the week!

Posted via Z30
    07-27-15 04:34 PM
    A slider with a detachable keyboard would be supreme. I agree with what some of you have said. Truly the best device BlackBerry could make.

Paired with BB10 with an improved runtime + google play services.

One could dream.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    07-27-15 04:43 PM
    Full touch period for one reason. Android apps have been optimized for a full touch device. Imagine getting a BlackBerry qwerty to only find out as I often do on BlackBerry world that a particular app isn't available (iheart radio) because it's not optimized for my particular device. And trust me developers aren't going to run and update them any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 06:10 PM
    Look at it this way. BlackBerry and Chen might have one more year in them of serious shots at a mainstream device that could stop the bleeding of their hardware division... i.e. falling revenue, sales, market share, and user base. Because if the devices over the next year are flops, I don't see them making a strong case moving forward for pouring any more serious money in to R&D of any kind. If hardware survives at all, after another round of flops, it would likely only be to produce low end fleet phones like the Leap for Enterprise. Churning out one or two cheap low effort devices a year with decent margins to simply turn an operating profit. So if you want hardware to survive and thrive: Which is more likely to succeed?

1.) A form factor like the Slider with an OS that 99.6% of the smartphone-buying public has shown little to no interest in?
    2.) A Slider running a custom-skinned version of an OS that over 80% of the the smartphone-buying public is already engrained in?
    3.) A full touch slab, a form factor that probably 99.7%+ of the smartphone-buying public is already buying, running a custom-skinned version of an OS that over 80% of the the smartphone-buying public is already engrained in.

Option 3 makes the most business sense... though a solid argument can be made for option 2 on certain grounds.

BB10 hasn't even managed to convert the majority of BlackBerry's own user base, who largely still run BBOS. The Classic, with its tool belt, was supposed to be the messiah device that would finally convert the legacy Bold holdouts. Yet many still prefer the two device solution. BBOS for work. iOS or Android for everything else. Even many of those who have made the jump to BB10 still run an iOS or Android device as well. And plenty of BYOD solutions are cropping up that can allow their iOS or Android be both, a work and personal device.

BB10 is not still young. At 30 months, iOS was on 3.1.2 on the iPhone 3GS. At 30 months, Android was on Gingerbread 2.3 or Honeycomb 3.0 and launching devices like the Motorola Droid 3, Samsung Galaxy S2, and HTC Evo 4G and Evo 3D. Windows Phone was on like version 8.0.1 on phones like the Nokia Lumia 1020 and Samsung ATIV. BB10 had its shot, and the market made its choice. Companies like Microsoft and Amazon can afford to keep plugging away after huge sales failures. BlackBerry can't afford to keep throwing money at BB10 as its only hardware solution. Maybe as a stand-alone secure Enterprise solution without the runtime, being sold along side full Android BlackBerry handsets.
    07-27-15 06:14 PM
    I am as big of a BB10 fanboy as there is, but I honestly think that the best chance for BlackBerry to make a comeback in the hardware division is with a full-touch Passport running Android.

I genuinely love "working wide." it has been a game changer for me and my ability to do spreadsheets and read through documents n the go. The all-touch gives that, plus the awesome media consumption when switched to portrait.

I could see that as a device that begins to stop the bleeding and gets people to start chatting about BlackBerry in a positive, innovative light. I love bb10, I really do, but people aren't buying it right now.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 06:25 PM
    I am as big of a BB10 fanboy as there is, but I honestly think that the best chance for BlackBerry to make a comeback in the hardware division is with a full-touch Passport running Android.

I genuinely love "working wide." it has been a game changer for me and my ability to do spreadsheets and read through documents n the go. The all-touch gives that, plus the awesome media consumption when switched to portrait.

I could see that as a device that begins to stop the bleeding and gets people to start chatting about BlackBerry in a positive, innovative light. I love bb10, I really do, but people aren't buying it right now.

Posted via CB10
    Does not compute.
    07-27-15 07:36 PM
    The slider comments crack me up. Sliders are thing of the past. There is no market for one with the exception of the 40 or so members on this website.

I would love to try a BlackBerry with hub and Android OS, passport or 5" all touch form factor. It would have kept me from the order I placed yesterday for a android device as my BlackBerry is no longer meeting my needs.

I hate the fact that after 8 years of being a BlackBerry user, that I have to swap to another platform

STL-4. 10.3.2.2339
    07-27-15 08:10 PM
    What "5 phones like that" are out now? Because I can't think of one 5.4" Android phone with BB Hub, BB VKB, and an enormous battery.

Also, why would BlackBerry bet the farm on their one device a year being a BB10 device? That would basically insure BlackBerry is out of hardware completely, sooner rather than later. BB10 has had 8 tries in the past 30 months, 8 different devices, and none have had any serious traction in the consumer market, and they've even lost ground on their home turf, Enterprise and government.
    BlackBerry Experience Suite or whatever it will be called is coming, so any android can have a hub.

A VKB is a VKB is a VKB.

So no Android phone on the market today has a decent battery?

My point is, if it's gonna be one device a year (I think it has to be 2) it needs to stand out enough to be a real slam dunk. Another 5" Android slab will just fade into the background and disappear. Particularly if it's plagued with any of the hardware failures they have seemingly cropped up in almost every BB10 device (seems like only the Q5 and maybe Z30 have been issue-free).

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 03:53 PM
58 123