11-21-13 08:21 AM
106 ... 345
tools
    Yes that is true. But the issue was over privacy not security. The person I was replying to was talking about Google and his concern about privacy being violated by the mail host scanning and reading your emails.
    But that's the point: if the people you send emails to/receive emails from are using Google, Yahoo, Microsoft or any other big provider, or are sending/receiving from a good-sized enterprise business account, those emails are all being scanned, even if your personal email is secure and set up by you and you alone. Nearly everyone I communicate to uses one of these services, so no matter what I did to secure my account, all of those communications would still be scanned. That's why, IMO, it makes little sense to worry about it, given that most of it is totally outside of your control anyway (until SMTP is totally replaced, anyway).

Unless everyone you communicate with are all using the same, secured email service, then you can be virtually assured that your emails are being scanned. But, again, it's not like they're paying people to read your emails; it's a BOT. A bot that is doing useful things, such as scanning for spam (and moving spam right to your Spam folder), and indexing your info for YOUR Google Now (if using Android or iOS). Unless presented with a court order, no one at Google cares what is in your email, other than for the bot to send you ads that you have more interest in and thus have a better chance of clicking on and buying something from. That's the ONLY reason they care, and given that they are giving users so much for "free" in return for that, IMO, it isn't at all unreasonable. Especially since you always have the option not to use Google services.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-19-13 11:35 PM
    That's the ONLY reason they care, and given that they are giving users so much for "free" in return for that, IMO, it isn't at all unreasonable. Especially since you always have the option not to use Google services.
    I know several small businesses that are now using Googles hosted business services for email, cloud storage, company calendar.... All for MUCH less than the hardware, software and tech support to setup and maintain said equipment. If business are trusting Google, then I don't know why we should be overly concerned.
    11-20-13 08:11 AM
    I know several small businesses that are now using Googles hosted business services for email, cloud storage, company calendar.... All for MUCH less than the hardware, software and tech support to setup and maintain said equipment. If business are trusting Google, then I don't know why we should be overly concerned.
    I've read quite a few "experts" that think Google may challenge M$ for Office use.
    11-20-13 08:23 AM
    I on the other hand have seen a number of businesses who completely moved away from Google services after the Prism revelations.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-20-13 08:31 AM
    I've read quite a few "experts" that think Google may challenge M$ for Office use.
    Are they the same experts that said ms word would never take off because wordperfect was the most popular?
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-20-13 06:21 PM
    Are they the same experts that said ms word would never take off because wordperfect was the most popular?
    Very well could be.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-21-13 08:21 AM
106 ... 345