11-21-13 09:21 AM
106 ... 2345
tools
    IMO Google is not bad and I like Google however running Android as the OS, not okay. I like Google but hate Android OS, they're getting a little bit more bearable, I like my HTC One but there's just something that ticks me off about android, don't know why just don't like it.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:26 PM
    IMO Google is not bad and I like Google however running Android as the OS, not okay. I like Google but hate Android OS, they're getting a little bit more bearable, I like my HTC One but there's just something that ticks me off about android, don't know why just don't like it.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe all of your issues with android itself lies within the realms of "user error". I have used an HTC one, and my experience was "buttery smooth".

I do agree that the bb10 skin/rom is in some ways more appealing than htc's, but for me the app load times/overall performance are a little sub par when compared to other phones.

I believe that my issues are just with the internal hardware itself (other than apps that is). I will enjoy the bb10 rom/kernel more once bbry hardware catches up, and offers handsets at a competitive price.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-10-13 08:39 PM
    All speculation. Let's just wait and see how this plays itself out.
    Congratulations on your 1000th post!
    Yes for all we know at this stage, BlackBerry World could become populated with every free App from Google Play, (which would isolate any poor feedback to BBWorld) yet whichever way it plays out.. I can't see Google letting people play without having first created a Google Account.

Z10 via CB10
    11-10-13 09:59 PM
    You have to have an Apple ID in order to use an iDevice, an MSN/Live/Outlook/Hotmail account to use a WinPhone, and a BB ID in order to use a BlackBerry. This is nothing nefarious; it's simply the easiest way to identify your account, and is how everyone does it (because it makes sense).

You will eventually get ads in every "free" service. If you don't think ads are coming to BBM and to Channels, you are kidding yourself. And all companies look at things like your web history to target ads to you. Yes, Google has a bot that scans your Gmail for keywords and other helpful information (like tracking numbers for shipments) so that better target the ads you see. Would you rather see ads for stuff you have no interest in, or ads for things you actually care about (because you're going to see ads either way)? It's not like there is some human being reading your emails, and it's not that Google doesn't tell you up-front that it's happening.

Having said that, just because you have a Gmail account doesn't mean you have to USE it for anything other than Play Store purchases. Nothing prevents you from using Outlook/Hotmail or Yahoo Mail or whatever you like.
    Actually, it's not really the same. BB ID can use an existing email account of any kind. Apple ID too, I believe. All android phones force you to have a Gmail account to activate them. Even if you already have a previous Google account with a regular email account tied to it.

I just wonder what Google Play will want you to have. I personally don't ever want a Gmail account, because I think the tactic is simply to bump up their numbers. Even if I don't use it, it'll still get constantly pinged and filled with Google stuff.

And, no, I don't use any free email service. Mine is a POP/IMAP account from my ISP.

Posted via CB10
    AlwaysTantric likes this.
    11-11-13 12:42 AM
    Actually, it's not really the same. BB ID can use an existing email account of any kind. Apple ID too, I believe. All android phones force you to have a Gmail account to activate them. Even if you already have a previous Google account with a regular email account tied to it.

I just wonder what Google Play will want you to have. I personally don't ever want a Gmail account, because I think the tactic is simply to bump up their numbers. Even if I don't use it, it'll still get constantly pinged and filled with Google stuff.

And, no, I don't use any free email service. Mine is a POP/IMAP account from my ISP.

Posted via CB10
    You do not need a Google id to activate, and use an android phone. You do need a Google id if you plan to use Google services, though.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 12:48 AM
    You do not need a Google id to activate, and use an android phone. You do need a Google id if you plan to use Google services though.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 12:48 AM
    Different people probably have different reasons, here are mine.
    1. I don't think that Google is bad, so the embedded assumption in the question do not apply.
    But you replied anyway. Hmmmm

3. Even if people do think that Google is bad, Apps on Google play store is not Google. They are Apps made by independent developers, not Google.
    Can the GOOGLE Play Store exist without Google? More rationalization.

4. Your question has multiple layers of flaws. One, assuming that people think that Google is bad. Two, assuming that people are excited about getting Google on BB10, but in fact most are simply excited about Apps and the associated customer reach. Three, the question appears to be rhetorical and aimed to insult people rather than genuine curiosity.
    1. See post #53, this thread. Heck, I don't even need to search and all you have to do is a bit of scrolling. However, if you think that Google bashing doesn't occur here, you need to spend more time on the boards in general versus one thread in particular.
    2. Really? You must get out more:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...re-z10-871343/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-rumor-871971/
    And even in your sanctuary #54654:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...index2187.html
    3. It is certainly your right to read it that way, but I was attempting to generate conversation, and it seems to have worked.
    Terser Nori and JeepBB like this.
    11-11-13 10:17 AM
    When I got my galaxy S2, the woman told me I had to have a gmail account in order to use the phone. Now if that has changed then I apologize. It's just what I was told.
    Now I have a gmail account that I barely use (only to get my coupons and stuff. nothing important)
    11-14-13 02:08 PM
    You have to have an Apple ID in order to use an iDevice, an MSN/Live/Outlook/Hotmail account to use a WinPhone, and a BB ID in order to use a BlackBerry. This is nothing nefarious; it's simply the easiest way to identify your account, and is how everyone does it (because it makes sense).

You will eventually get ads in every "free" service. If you don't think ads are coming to BBM and to Channels, you are kidding yourself. And all companies look at things like your web history to target ads to you. Yes, Google has a bot that scans your Gmail for keywords and other helpful information (like tracking numbers for shipments) so that better target the ads you see. Would you rather see ads for stuff you have no interest in, or ads for things you actually care about (because you're going to see ads either way)? It's not like there is some human being reading your emails, and it's not that Google doesn't tell you up-front that it's happening.

Having said that, just because you have a Gmail account doesn't mean you have to USE it for anything other than Play Store purchases. Nothing prevents you from using Outlook/Hotmail or Yahoo Mail or whatever you like.
    I don't want them scanning anything of mine. Unless they are going to help pay my bills, there is nothing helpful they can do for me by scanning my emails.
    I don't use my gmail account for anything other than crap I don't want coming to my primary emails.

Yeah, they tell you no one is reading your emails. You are nieve if you trust that no one is reading your emails.
    11-14-13 02:15 PM
    I don't want them scanning anything of mine. Unless they are going to help pay my bills, there is nothing helpful they can do for me by scanning my emails.
    I don't use my gmail account for anything other than crap I don't want coming to my primary emails.

Yeah, they tell you no one is reading your emails. You are nieve if you trust that no one is reading your emails.
    Obviously Google doesn't directly pay your bills, but in a roundabout fashion they help with your bills. By offering free services, it keeps money in your pocket.
    11-14-13 02:17 PM
    When I got my galaxy S2, the woman told me I had to have a gmail account in order to use the phone. Now if that has changed then I apologize. It's just what I was told.
    Now I have a gmail account that I barely use (only to get my coupons and stuff. nothing important)
    I think that person who told you that assumed you needed a Gmail account, because Google prompts the user to input an existing google/gmail account.

All the prompts to enter, or create a Google account can be skipped.

I think that using a Gmail account just for spam is a good idea. Everyone needs at least one of those (free email) for that reason.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:20 PM
    Obviously Google doesn't directly pay your bills, but in a roundabout fashion they help with your bills. By offering free services, it keeps money in your pocket.
    No thanks. I don't want them accessing any information of mine. It's starts with simple stuff like that then next thing you know "Big Brother" is watching you. It's already started.

I know many will call me crazy about this, but Im fine with that.
    11-14-13 02:27 PM
    No thanks. I don't want them accessing any information of mine. It's starts with simple stuff like that then next thing you know "Big Brother" is watching you. It's already started.

I know many will call me crazy about this, but Im fine with that.
    I'm not going to accuse you of being crazy, because they ARE watching you. It doesn't matter what service you use they can still sift through everything. Really even bis encryption didn't help since it was only encrypted from tower to tower leaving it vulnerable from server to server.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:32 PM
    I'm not going to accuse you of being crazy, because they ARE watching you. It doesn't matter what service you use they can still sift through everything. Really even bis encryption didn't help since it was only encrypted from tower to tower leaving it vulnerable from server to server.

Posted via CB10
    I know they are watching, Im just not going to make it easy for them. LOL
    11-14-13 02:35 PM
    I know they are watching, Im just not going to make it easy for them. LOL
    Can't argue with that.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:37 PM
    Google is pure evil.
    11-14-13 10:12 PM
    Play store sucks!
    Zomg were are getting play store!

We don't need apps!
    Zomg, we will have all the apps now!

Was the same thing with Skype and angry birds, they were completely useless until rumors of them making their way to bb10.
    The funny thing is (my personal take and experience).
    I did state Google sucks (and I keep saying it).
    I did say we don't need [these (Candy Crush, Netflix, Whatsapp)] Apps.

I do say *wow* I CAN install an android app with 2 clicks.
    I did install and test 3 of them (incl Candy Crush for my daughter + Shaazam + Instagram)
    I do think this is a game changer for many.
    I did enjoy playing the nerd and do things "for the first time" (thats my nerd chromosome)

BUT

I WILL uninstall all this barnum which is - in real life - totally useless to me

Truth is never yes or no.
    11-15-13 01:58 PM
    The funny thing is (my personal take and experience).
    I did state Google sucks (and I keep saying it).
    I did say we don't need [these (Candy Crush, Netflix, Whatsapp)] Apps.

I do say *wow* I CAN install an android app with 2 clicks.
    I did install and test 3 of them (incl Candy Crush for my daughter + Shaazam + Instagram)
    I do think this is a game changer for many.
    I did enjoy playing the nerd and do things "for the first time" (thats my nerd chromosome)

BUT

I WILL uninstall all this barnum which is - in real life - totally useless to me

Truth is never yes or no.
    Reboot your phone after you delete them, they seem to reappear
    11-15-13 11:44 PM
    Reboot your phone after you delete them, they seem to reappear
    Ah, you almost got me. But no, they're gone, for good (1market notifications made me mad this night @ 4AM )
    11-16-13 10:56 AM
    Ah, you almost got me. But no, they're gone, for good (1market notifications made me mad this night @ 4AM )
    I finally got mine to permanently delete by going into the device monitor then storage tab.
    11-16-13 11:42 AM
    How's your spam filtering working for you?

That's pretty much true about every email service. Unless you host your own from your own servers.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 11-16-13 at 12:31 PM.
    11-16-13 12:09 PM
    That's pretty much true about every email service. Unless you host your own from your own servers.
    Isn't that only half the equation. That is, if the receiver is on a less than secure device all the prevention on one end is irrelevant as the communication can still be captured on the other. I may be wrong about this but unless there is an equal level of security on both ends there is no real security.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-17-13 02:39 PM
    Isn't that only half the equation. That is, if the receiver is on a less than secure device all the prevention on one end is irrelevant as the communication can still be captured on the other. I may be wrong about this but unless there is an equal level of security on both ends there is no real security.
    No you're spot on. That's a point many people seem to miss.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 02:58 PM
    Yes that is true. But the issue was over privacy not security. The person I was replying to was talking about Google and his concern about privacy being violated by the mail host scanning and reading your emails.

11-17-13 04:41 PM
    Yes that is true. But the issue was over privacy not security. The person I was replying to was talking about Google and his concern about privacy being violated by the mail host scanning and reading your emails.

Hope that person doesn't have BlackBerry travel installed, it's scans your emails regardless of which email provider you use.
    11-18-13 09:21 AM
106 ... 2345