11-21-13 09:21 AM
106 1234 ...
tools
    Because bb10 isn't android and runs the apps in a sandbox. So you get the apps plus bb10.
    11-09-13 06:29 AM
    Holy crap that sounds awesome.

If only it would also come to playbook....
    11-09-13 07:06 AM
    Biggest spy agency in the world. Keep gooooogle out of my BB!

QNX posted via CB10
    Any electronic data being sent over the internet and/or wireless connection is not safe, there are articles already published telling us that the NSA cracked the Blackberry email encryption schemes along time ago.

History tells us allot and if you look in the past there is no such thing as fool proof. If your really worried about your electronic data being accessed by others.

I strongly suggest you sell you smartphone, computer, disconnect your internet connection and go back to pen and paper and burn all you paper data you don't want folks looking at.

And we all know no one is going back to that way of doing things. No electronic data is completely safe in the age of the modern supercomputer unless you have a completely closed network that can't be accessed from the outside world, period.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    11-09-13 07:10 AM
    Reubechs,

In those posts I only see speculation, "someone told me", conspiracy theories about the stock.

It doesn't make sense because the only way Google is controlling Android is using google play and their services. If Google would allow access to their services to any OS: BlackBerry, Tizen, Ubuntu, Jolla, Firefox and more important to Android forks like Fire OS, Android would die in a couple of months, every single OEM would make a fork and start their own path. Google formed the Open Alliance and forced every OEM to sign a contract with strict rules just to avoid this problem.
    If Google open their services just to BlackBerry (I don't know what reason could explain that), they would open a legal flank, because Google is virtually a monopoly in many countries with those services, so It could be forced to give same access to all the competitor under the same conditions.

Why Google would accept so much hassle to help an OS with almost zero market share and a company on life support?
    Last edited by sati01; 11-09-13 at 08:23 AM.
    Bigruss8 likes this.
    11-09-13 08:11 AM
    I have NO information either way for Google Play Services coming to BB10, however I will say this. For many years we all stated that there is no possibility of BBM coming to iOS or Android. Look where we are now. Do I have a crystal ball, no. Do I have breakfast with T or Chen, no. I am merely saying let's just watch as this unfolds. Personally I hope it does, but I certainly will not expect it nor be disappointed if it does not.
    11-09-13 08:33 AM
    Google is not in any way bad in my view. But I prefer the BlackBerry 10 OS and security. So if we can get the advantages of BlackBerry with the advantages of Android apps, that would be the best of all worlds.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 08:39 AM
    Why Google would accept so much hassle to help an OS with almost zero market share and a company on life support?
    Money / patents(who knows what bb offered them) and getting their hooks into the bb user base before apple does for if/when bb goes under?

"Oh no, blackberry is dead, do I get an iphone or android? Well, I already have all these android apps...."
    11-09-13 08:42 AM
    Any electronic data being sent over the internet and/or wireless connection is not safe, there are articles already published telling us that the NSA cracked the Blackberry email encryption schemes along time ago.

History tells us allot and if you look in the past there is no such thing as fool proof. If your really worried about your electronic data being accessed by others.

I strongly suggest you sell you smartphone, computer, disconnect your internet connection and go back to pen and paper and burn all you paper data you don't want folks looking at.

And we all know no one is going back to that way of doing things. No electronic data is completely safe in the age of the modern supercomputer unless you have a completely closed network that can't be accessed from the outside world, period.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    No, the NSA hasn't hacked BlackBerry. BlackBerry security is the highest available level of security. True nothing can be assumed to be completely unassailable, that doesn't mean we should just throw up our hands and say security is meaningless. That would be foolish in the extreme.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 08:44 AM
    I'm afraid the OP has created a strawman. Not many people explicitly said that it is a bad idea to have a lot of Google-enabled apps.

Saying that we don't need too many apps isn't the same as saying that Google is bad, or that having too many apps is bad.

BBQ10
    Nice try. But I think you need to read more CB.

If Google is bad, then Google apps are bad. What you've done, as well as many others, is create a false rationalization that it is acceptable to use Google apps if it furthers the cause of BB.
    techvisor and richardat like this.
    11-09-13 09:36 AM
    Nice try. But I think you need to read more CB.

If Google is bad, then Google apps are bad. What you've done, as well as many others, is create a false rationalization that it is acceptable to use Google apps if it furthers the cause of BB.
    We will have to disagree in that case.

Your statement "If Google is bad, then Google apps are bad." is logically true in the trivial sense that the conclusion follows from the premise. However, I question the claim that many people are making the premise that Google is bad. Admittedly, there may be selection bias at work for both of us, i.e., we may both be reading and participating in threads that confirm our points of view.

Regarding the latter statement about creating a false rationalization, it is patently false at least in it's application to me, so I ask you to refrain from generalizing. I have never claimed that Google is bad, thus I have no qualms in saying that more apps (including, more Google apps, more cross-platform apps, etc.) would be good.

I am a former Android user and have made no bones about the fact that I switched because of the physical keyboard, not because Google is bad. So, please stop clubbing other people together into a faction merely to suit your argumentative ends.

If Google sees benefit in allowing their apps on the BlackBerry platform, then well and good. If they don't, then that is just too bad, and BlackBerry will have to figure out a way to enhance functionality via other legal means.

BBQ10
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 11-09-13 at 12:43 PM.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-09-13 12:23 PM
    I'd suggest you not assume that the thread was directed at you personally. If you read a bit, you will find quite a bit of hate for Google.

If someone hates Google, I'd venture that a subset of Google would count as well.

sent from a mysterious device.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-09-13 01:44 PM
    I'd suggest you not assume that the thread was directed at you personally.
    Agree, the thread wasn't pointed to me at all. Your post, however, was. Try to spin "what you've done as well as many others" into "this is not directed at you". If you didn't know where I was coming from, then don't count me in with "many others" just because it suits your purpose, that's all I'm saying. Not a big deal, this is not the first time it happened on an online forum and it won't be the last. But, just pointing it out.

If you read a bit, you will find quite a bit of hate for Google.
    Fair enough. I also suggest not being so sensitive about Google hate. They'll be fine :-).

BBQ10
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 11-09-13 at 02:38 PM.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-09-13 02:28 PM
    I didn't find any announcement or news about it. Are you sure it wasn't a dream?
    Im sure she meant that its been confirmed that its quite possible for the playstore to be in BB10
    11-09-13 03:09 PM
    hahaha...oops, sorry, carry on.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 03:10 PM
    I don't recall anyone saying "Google is so bad".

Allow me to explain:

Google is fine.
    Many Android apps are good to excellent and in great demand.
    Android o/s is ok - but security is poor.
    BB10 is superior to Android and iOS in terms of user experience, multi-tasking, and security.
    BB10 native apps are much nicer than Android apps. However, far too many Android apps are not going to be recoded for BB10 native.

So...*if* you can have Android apps running securely on a BB10 device, while it may not drive hundreds of millions to buy BB10 devices, it certainly can't hurt!

I'll give you an example. There is an app for the STM (Montreal bus/metro) that is written for Android. I reverse engineered the app to see why it couldn't run on BB10. It uses google maps library and a bunch of other GFS (google framework services) stuff. I was going to convert it to use OpenStreet Maps. While I was able to get it to do a few things (not easy without the source code!), it became clear once I saw all the ways this app used Android/Google code, that it was never going to work nearly the same way and wasn't going to be worth my time. Through that process, I was able to see it from the developer's perspective. First of all, the STM is not going to pay the developers to make a "free" app for Blackberry devices with so few BB10 devices out there. Second, even if the STM did decide to pay developers to make a BB10 app, it simply cannot function the way the other apps work w/o google maps, GFS, etc. There is no other drop-in or compatible software library for developers to use. Basic maps and overlays - ok. But once you get into sexier stuff - forget it. Bottom line: it is not going to happen. I'm not sure if the limitation is the android runtime itself, or if it's Blackberry - or both. For example, you need an API key for GFS. Not sure how that would work from the BB10 perspective.

I've said for quite a long time that Blackberry should - at the very least - build sideloading into Link and make the public aware of it. So few people know that they can run most Android apps on BB10 devices. Unless it uses something very exclusive to google/android (GFS or whatever) - it'll run just fine. That having been said, *IF* they could somehow get those "core" google/android apps to work, and allow users to directly download via Play (VERY unlikely), and maintain the secure environment - that would be remarkable and a game-changer. Do I think it'll happen? No. I don't. But it would certainly be a huge plus for Blackberry and BB10 users.

I think it's more likely - and easier to develop - a dual o/s device. I have a PC with an intel cpu and chipset. I run Arch linux on it most of the time, but I have win7 installed for those few apps I need and a few situations that required windows. Why is this different? If Blackberry would sell a phone that runs android natively, and also has BB10 on it, people would get a chance to see what they are missing by not using BB10 without any downside!
    Last edited by slickvguy; 11-09-13 at 08:58 PM.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    11-09-13 04:21 PM
    Sadly, Google play in BB is impossible.
    no its not they just have to get licensing for it. If they can work that out with Google. The Android OS is open source any anyone can get the code and build a player for it like BlackBerry has done
    11-09-13 04:50 PM
    @slick

Did you miss all the threads about the fake bbm apps on play store? "Why does Google allow these scammers?", "Google sucks, full of malware and viruses!",etc ad nauseum.

I'm guessing you did, because they were full of hate directed at Google.
    Last edited by h20work; 11-09-13 at 05:16 PM.
    Terser Nori likes this.
    11-09-13 05:06 PM
    Everything is useless until it is available on a BlackBerry device.

Welcome to CrackBerry.
    11-09-13 05:09 PM
    no its not they just have to get licensing for it. If they can work that out with Google. The Android OS is open source any anyone can get the code and build a player for it like BlackBerry has done
    Android OS being open-source has NOTHING to do with Google Play or Google Framework Services, which are NOT open-source.

The licensing terms for Google Play are available online. Among the most important of these is that any company wanting access to GP/GFS must be a member of the Open Handset Alliance. OHA members are only allowed to run Google-certified Android, and a hybrid OS like BB10 isn't even close to qualifying. As a previous poster has mentioned, giving BB access to Google Play in violation of the long-existing licensing terms that apply to everyone else would be a MASSIVE legal issue for Google, and would violate the contracts they have with thousands of other companies.

Just because a BB developer can add in code to get the Play Store to function on a BB10 device isn't anywhere CLOSE to the same thing as BB rolling out the Play Store to customers. It's no different than companies who have, say, hacked OSX to run on non-Apple hardware - we know it can be done, but if they ever released it to the public, they'd be sued into the ground.

Again, there is a MASSIVE difference between what is technically possible and what is legally possible. I agree that the Play Store is technically possible on BB10, but I strongly disagree that it is legally possible.
    11-09-13 05:19 PM
    Everything is useless until it is available on a BlackBerry device.

Welcome to CrackBerry.
    Kinda like side loading isn't stealing, but if another os offered it they would be persecuted
    11-09-13 05:22 PM
    Agree, the thread wasn't pointed to me at all. Your post, however, was. Try to spin "what you've done as well as many others" into "this is not directed at you". If you didn't know where I was coming from, then don't count me in with "many others" just because it suits your purpose, that's all I'm saying. Not a big deal, this is not the first time it happened on an online forum and it won't be the last. But, just pointing it out.
    I think we are definitely talking past each other, which does happen quite a bit on the interwebs. My only point I'd like to make is that my initial post was not directed at you personally and I sensed your response was that I had.

Fair enough. I also suggest not being so sensitive about Google hate. They'll be fine :-).
    I'm not sensitive about much of anything. I just find hypocrisy amusing.
    11-09-13 05:51 PM
    I don't recall anyone saying "Google is so bad".
    Let me explain it to you, since it seems a bit difficult for you to comprehend...
    Here is what I got from your post:

Arrogance, condescension, blah, blah, blah........

If you actually get down from your high horse long enough, you'd note, as h20work noted, that very many people on CB bash Google. They whine, bit**, and complain. However, when the opportunity to save BB, and their dire app situation, comes along, BAM!, the Play Store is great. I find it amusing.

BTW, next time you don't need to write a thesis. The thread s about the hypocrisy of CB members with regard to Google. If that is too hard for you to comprehend, I can type more slowly next time.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    11-09-13 05:57 PM
    More slowly..
    Type more slowly lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 06:27 PM
    Sadly, Google play in BB is impossible.
    Yeah huh, moodyk said so!

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 06:46 PM
    Yeah huh, moodyk said so!

Posted via CB10