11-21-13 08:21 AM
106 123 ...
tools
    .............then why are folks so excited about the possibility of the Google Play Store on BB???

Enquiring minds want to know.
    11-08-13 10:11 PM
    Because Google is not bad...
    propeller10, mnc76 and arvind1983 like this.
    11-08-13 10:14 PM
    .............then why are folks so excited about the possibility of the Google Play Store on BB???

Sadly, Google play in BB is impossible.
    garycui and Etios like this.
    11-08-13 10:19 PM
    Play store sucks!
    Zomg were are getting play store!

We don't need apps!
    Zomg, we will have all the apps now!

Was the same thing with Skype and angry birds, they were completely useless until rumors of them making their way to bb10.
    11-08-13 10:34 PM

I think people want big-name apps on BB10, but when they have been slow to materialize (or haven't materialized) for the community, BB10 was criticized (by many BB10 users and non-BB10-using onlookers), and the rhetoric turned defensive and deflective: "tools not toys," "browser not apps," "productivity not 'games,' " "using you phone for calls not wasting your time with apps," "the media is killing app development with negative press," "Google and/or Apple conspiring to kill BB10," "it's consumers' faults for not realizing BB10 is superior to iOS or Android," "BB10 would have succeeded if only it had been marketed better," "the carriers are sabotaging BB10 from achieving the success it should have," etc.

I think anyone offering an honest assessment of the smartphone industry has to acknowledge that apps are important. Arguing that they aren't needed is denying the realities of the situation. The challenge for BB10 is getting apps unfortunately. It's making progress, but it's been tougher than many expected it would have been probably.
    mmarco, toobs623, howarmat and 4 others like this.
    11-08-13 11:06 PM
    It's already been confirmed. Sadly you're wrong.
    Dude_9, mnc76, Rolf Hed and 1 others like this.
    11-08-13 11:34 PM

Some of us really aren't app crazy. We will just be happy that when someone says to us "BlackBerry has no apps" we can say, "actually it has many, new argument please. "

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 11:56 PM
    Some of us really aren't app crazy. We will just be happy that when someone says to us "BlackBerry has no apps" we can say, "actually it has many, new argument please. "

Posted via CB10
    This...quite frankly I only want to be able to sync my sideloaded games save progress using Google services lmao like clash of clans, anything else lol I don't care about
    eldricho likes this.
    11-09-13 12:22 AM
    I didn't find any announcement or news about it. Are you sure it wasn't a dream?
    11-09-13 12:58 AM
    I'm also requesting a link to the confirmation. I am not questioning your integrity; but, Google Play on BB10 is not a featured news story on any major news outlets and I am having difficulty finding the confirmation your speak of.
    11-09-13 01:02 AM
    I didn't find any announcement or news about it. Are you sure it wasn't a dream?
    It's not been officially announced yet, but that doesn't mean it's more or less real than you are.
    CDM76 and Dude_9 like this.
    11-09-13 01:06 AM
    I'm afraid the OP has created a strawman. Not many people explicitly said that it is a bad idea to have a lot of Google-enabled apps.

Saying that we don't need too many apps isn't the same as saying that Google is bad, or that having too many apps is bad.

BBQ10
    11-09-13 01:06 AM
    It's not been officially announced yet, but that doesn't mean it's more or less real than you are.
    May you please provide the confirmation that Google Play on BB10 is real, then?
    11-09-13 01:08 AM
    No it's actually worse than you think

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    11-09-13 01:08 AM
    There is no proof, anywhere. It is merely a substantiated rumour at this point. You OK?
    11-09-13 01:26 AM
    There is no proof, anywhere. It is merely a substantiated rumour at this point. You OK?
    So Sati01 is as real as a rumor... Awesome.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-09-13 01:46 AM
    So Sati01 is as real as a rumor... Awesome.
    Yes... as am I.
    11-09-13 02:05 AM
    Google Play is not impossible in BlackBerry. QNX allows many systems to run as emulation on top of QNX, much like the legacy apps on Bridge for PlayBook.

Google Android would be running as a separate emulation, and not touching QNX/BlackBerry 10 and therefore would not be potentially corrupting the underlying system. If Google Android was the core OS, then it would not be secure, but as it is emulated in a 'sandbox', it is fine as it does not 'directly' interact with QNX / BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    bennelong, Dude_9 and toobs623 like this.
    11-09-13 02:19 AM
    I think people want big-name apps on BB10, but when they have been slow to materialize (or haven't materialized) for the community, BB10 was criticized (by many BB10 users and non-BB10-using onlookers), and the rhetoric turned defensive and deflective: "tools not toys," "browser not apps," "productivity not 'games,' " "using you phone for calls not wasting your time with apps," "the media is killing app development with negative press," "Google and/or Apple conspiring to kill BB10," "it's consumers' faults for not realizing BB10 is superior to iOS or Android," "BB10 would have succeeded if only it had been marketed better," "the carriers are sabotaging BB10 from achieving the success it should have," etc.

I think anyone offering an honest assessment of the smartphone industry has to acknowledge that apps are important. Arguing that they aren't needed is denying the realities of the situation. The challenge for BB10 is getting apps unfortunately. It's making progress, but it's been tougher than many expected it would have been probably.
    Agree with you, but I've seen lits of comments from people here who actually don't care for most of the big name apps, al include me in the game area, don't play in my z10, I rather use my table for gaming.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 02:24 AM

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Google's ecosystem is pretty fat and they have cool stuff, what I believe most of BB10 users don't like is how Google manages your info, and most simply don't like is Android

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 02:27 AM
    I'm also requesting a link to the confirmation. I am not questioning your integrity; but, Google Play on BB10 is not a featured news story on any major news outlets and I am having difficulty finding the confirmation your speak of.
    Sorry to rain on your parade, it seems there's some who aren't paying as much attention to threads before dismissing information that's right there staring them in the face. No, it's not confirmed but there's evidence supporting the rumor.

While I understand the skepticism, you all shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what CatlinFD has to say. Just sayin. I have nothing else beyond that to share at this time.
    Actually you're incorrect and I can confirm the legitimacy of the OP and I'm not associated with the OP. I don't even know who the OP is or his friend.The runtime has been released in BB World so that BlackBerry can now update the runtime outside of carrier's control to enable access to Google Play and whatnot when this hits. It's not a minor update, there is more to come.

Google and BlackBerry has recently entered an agreement to bypass the Open Alliance relationship so that BlackBerry can deploy Google Play onto BlackBerry 10 as well as enable the currently disabled Google Services Framework (GSF) embedded into the runtime. Meaning not only in the future will users be able to download apps directly from Google Play on device, every single native functionality will be available for use. In plain English, every single Android application will work without the need to sideload, without the need for a debug token or any form of method to enable functionality to work. But you'll need to be on a 10.2.1 build or higher.

All native functionality of Android is fully in the runtime right now. It's just disabled or blacklisted by BlackBerry. It's not difficult to reenable and now they have full permission to.

This is the reason the leaked 10.2.1 builds have ceased. Current builds and radios are currently PIN-Locked meaning if you try to load them onto your device without your PIN being whitelisted, your device will brick. In the higher 10.2.1 builds the new functionality has been added in so users now have access to Google Play and a new runtime that unleashes the potential of Android apps. As far as I am aware, widgets and other applications will continue to not be able to work but applications such as Google Maps will have full access to GSF and other frameworks required for the application to function at 100%. They have curbed the leaks with the intention to hide the fact this is forthcoming. The explanation for hiding it is the sale of the company, fixing the app ecosystem would obviously cause the stocks to raise when BB10 users could download thousands upon thousands of more applications where they work exactly like they do on a native android device and the stock holders would obviously reject a lowball deal if the stock is at 12? 15? 17? dollars after such an announcement. Select BlackBerry employees are now internally testing it.

He's not mistaken. I have personally seen it running and I have a number of BlackBerry employees on my BBM who have told me about it. Michael Cowley on Twitter confirmed 10.2.1 is coming sooner than what the normal timeframe is and that's because of them enabling Google Play and full runtime functionality. Furthermore when I talked to Brian Zubert about ways to fix the Google Maps API usage in Android apps so I could successfully port my banking application, he told me to wait because "something big is coming that is right up your alley and to watch the BlackBerry blog" which translates to "you wont need to remove Google Maps because soon your application will work without problem"

http://i.imgur.com/2A1HGCG.png
    NOTE: Brian is not my source of the information nor has he leaked anything.

I mean, go ahead and say I'm bull****ting or lying but it's no coincidence that 10.2.1 leaks have magically stopped occurring and that random people other than myself are getting the same information leaked to them where our stories match one another. The 10.2.1 builds are up to four digits now and we only have early stage full builds.
    Posted via CB10, Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.641
    11-09-13 02:43 AM
    Biggest spy agency in the world. Keep gooooogle out of my BB!

QNX posted via CB10
    jh07 likes this.
    11-09-13 02:46 AM
    Here's the thread those two posts came from.

Posted via CB10, Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.641
    bennelong and app_Developer like this.
    11-09-13 02:47 AM
    Biggest spy agency in the world. Keep gooooogle out of my BB!

QNX posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Android Runtime is in your phone already.
    If this does eventuate, then any 'trade off' in your personal data would come when and if you decide to register for Google Play and use their applications.
    With BlackBerry Balance effectively sandboxing the user's personal space, this should make for a very good BYOD device.

Z10 via CB10
    11-09-13 03:38 AM
    BlackBerry Android Runtime is in your phone already.
    If this does eventuate, then any 'trade off' in your personal data would come when and if you decide to register for Google Play and use their applications.
    With BlackBerry Balance effectively sandboxing the user's personal space, this should make for a very good BYOD device.

Z10 via CB10
    True!

But what about the MAJORITY (of bb10 owners) that can't even access BlackBerry balance - ie people NOT on BES? No sandboxing of the personal space.

Would be interested in how this would be implemented.

MS created a youtube app that didn't show adverts and Google took umbridge! (though goog and ms are at each others' throats, it seems).

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 05:11 AM
106 123 ...