06-10-14 05:23 PM
38 12
tools
    And expand their markets.
    Yes, they do want to expand their market, but only so long as it doesn't involve lower the price of devices. That's why other than the 5c Apple has used older phones to attract the price conscious client, instead of specifically making a phone that targets them.

That's what I think BlackBerry should be doing for the developing markets and people in the developed world that want to get a $0 phone.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-04-14 05:41 AM
    The prices for components only drops so much over time, maybe they even go up if they aren't produced in large batches anymore. To sell a cheap device you have to make a cheap device.

Unless you plan on writing off those devices....

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    06-04-14 06:39 AM
    The prices for components only drops so much over time, maybe they even go up if they aren't produced in large batches anymore. To sell a cheap device you have to make a cheap device.

Unless you plan on writing off those devices....

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    Exactly. As these plants are retooled for new processor/chip manufacturing processes, they lose the capacity to make the older stuff. You have to make devices with what is available. This is why Qualcomm makes an entire line of processors from low to high end, but all still utilizing newer tech. The Z3 is using a new, low end processor, not last year's or two years ago model.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-04-14 07:13 AM
    Apple's bank account would beg to differ. Apple doesn't want to be in everyone's hands if it means they have to lower the cost of the device, the 5c shows this. They want to make as much per device as they can while they can.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    To grow you bank account, you have to sell more devices. Last quarter shows that they are having some problems doing that with their current line up of products - is it the product, is it the pricing? I do agree that Apple is more interested in profits than domination of the market. But that doesn't mean that they don't realize that allowing your competitor to dominate marketshare (like Microsoft did with Windows), is a good idea either.

Apple is adjusting (maybe too slowly), they came out with "cheaper" devices and now they plan to have devices with larger screens. But I don't see Apple releasing $99 iPhones anytime soon, and those super cheap devices are what has really propelled Android to dominance. Sure the HTC One M8 and the Samsung Galaxy5 are making the headlines. But they account for a very small portion of sales in the worldwide market - it's the "generic" regional devices. Apple will be happy with 25% if it is the 25% where 60% of the profits are.
    06-04-14 08:54 AM
    Unofficial bus survey this morning showed 90% iPhone. As I traveled to work this morning on the bus all I saw in everyone's hands was iPhones! VERY unofficial results, since I did not check pockets or handbags.
    m1kr0 and JeepBB like this.
    06-04-14 09:02 AM
    Unofficial bus survey this morning showed 90% iPhone. As I traveled to work this morning on the bus all I saw in everyone's hands was iPhones! VERY unofficial results, since I did not check pockets or handbags.
    Sorry to dispute you, but I just did an official count in our office....

(1) BB10
    (2) Dumb Phones
    (8) iPhones
    (4) Androids

So that's only 60% of the smartphone market! But I didn't ask if anyone owned other devices that they used on occasion.

And most everyone of those iPhone users knows that a bigger iPhone is coming. I think next hottest thing for Christmas is going to be the new iPhone... if Apple keeps the pricing in line.
    06-04-14 10:18 AM
    Sorry to dispute you, but I just did an official count in our office....

(1) BB10
    (2) Dumb Phones
    (8) iPhones
    (4) Androids

So that's only 60% of the smartphone market! But I didn't ask if anyone owned other devices that they used on occasion.

And most everyone of those iPhone users knows that a bigger iPhone is coming. I think next hottest thing for Christmas is going to be the new iPhone... if Apple keeps the pricing in line.
    Still though disputes the 80 percent Android figures. THAT was my point.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    06-04-14 10:39 AM
    Still though disputes the 80 percent Android figures. THAT was my point.
    The chart shows GLOBAL unit sales. Your bus is somewhere in North America, where device distribution per brand or OS is likely very much different to other parts of the world.

Cheap Chinadroids anyone? I believe a quick look inside a Beijing bus will show exactly the opposite picture.

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    06-10-14 07:40 AM
    I'm keeping with blackberry, but 80% of my office with Z10s are leaving blackberry after their phones die. I talk about this everyday with them..
    06-10-14 07:53 AM
    http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=7838-ecba

According to this article BlackBerry had 6% of sales share in North America in the last 6 months and Nokia not even on the chart. Something fishy about IDC?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 04:00 PM
    I've heard of IDC, but not of iQmetrix. To be honest neither is going to be very accurate as they are just grabbing samples.

I tried to find another iQmetrix report as a comparison - the only one I could find was for BlackFriday 2013, and BlackBerry didn't even make that list.

So do you trust the IDC who is known and quoted by most every news source several times a year. Or some company that has only released a few reports....
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-10-14 04:10 PM
    People forget the sound test. Like in the old BlackBerry days where everyone grabbed their phones when they heard that familiar ring or sound, all I hear in public transit where I live is that bird chirp notification sound from Samsung.
    06-10-14 05:01 PM
    If it's bad news for BlackBerry it must be gospel but if it's good news then you better not trust these reports because 15,000 stores is too small a sample.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 05:23 PM
38 12