06-10-14 05:23 PM
38 12
tools
    Was reading this article on Mobile syrup that stated BlackBerry share to drop to. 3% by 2018.

Link to article: Android expected to own over 80% of the smartphone OS market share by the end of 2014, BlackBerry 0.8% | MobileSyrup.com

Smartphones are becoming the norm as most Canadian carriers have well over 70% adoption rate. However, there is still room for growth and the latest report by research firm IDC shows that global smartphone shipments will reach 1.2 billion units by the end of 2014, up 23.1% from last year. Much of the growth is happening in emerging markets such as India and Indonesia.

In addition, handset prices are also dropping. IDC states the average selling price (ASP) of smartphones will end up being around $314 in 2014, down from $335 (6.3%) from 2013 ? certainly in Canada we?ve seen the Nexus 5, Moto G and even a few entry level smartphones come around this price point.

Who?s running the smartphone game? Google?s Android OS ?will undoubtedly remain the clear market leader? and is expected to have 80.2% market share by the end of the year. Google and its partners are targeted to ship 1 billion units in 2014. Apple comes in second spot with 14.8% market share, representing 184.1 million iPhone shipments this year. Coming in third spot at 3.5% is Microsoft?s Windows Phone.

BlackBerry is in a different game. Canada?s one-time gem is continuing its free fall and will drop to mere 0.8% market share, representing 9.7 million smartphone shipments. By 2018, IDC is predicting that BlackBerry?s market share will be almost non existent at 0.3%. Hopefully CEO John Chen and Co. can prove these analysts wrong.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 10:27 AM
    I question their figures! Yes I know the BB figure is low, but I doubt it's that low, and there is NO way Android has 80% of the market and iOS only 14% I seriously question that figure also!

Sounds like they have an Android agenda.
    05-29-14 10:36 AM
    Look on the bright side: at least IDC confirmed BB will be alive till 2018!!! Lol, I know they do their research and make educated guesses but I hope this time they are way off.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    Jimberry Storm likes this.
    05-29-14 10:38 AM
    It's in print so it has to be true

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    05-29-14 10:39 AM
    I question their figures! Yes I know the BB figure is low, but I doubt it's that low, and there is NO way Android has 80% of the market and iOS only 14% I seriously question that figure also!

Canada must be vastly different then the rest of the world. All I see is like 75% iPhones easy

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 10:44 AM
    Yeah I have a hard time believing the numbers also. They also state windows phone will grow from 3.5 to 6.4%.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 10:45 AM
    Canada must be vastly different then the rest of the world. All I see is like 75% iPhones easy

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I see a lot of iPhone but I wouldn't say it's 75%. The company I work for only officially supports iphones and that is the device they hand out and will allow android devices on the network.

Out of the 800 people in the head office there is probably close to 500 iphones

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 10:47 AM
    When accounting for the Chinese market, where Android is absolutely dominant, the global Android market share is not all that unbelievable.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    05-29-14 11:30 AM
    Well IDC is always right

IDC: Windows Phones to Overtake iPhone iOS by 2015 | TechHive

though I guess this is still technically possible, If MS has a really great 6 months.
    TheBlkGuyFrmWrk likes this.
    05-29-14 11:38 AM
    Well IDC is always right

IDC: Windows Phones to Overtake iPhone iOS by 2015 | TechHive

though I guess this is still technically possible, If MS has a really great 6 months.
    Sadly even in 2011 BB was an afterthought. Not even mentioned in that projection.
    05-29-14 11:54 AM
    Sadly even in 2011 BB was an afterthought. Not even mentioned in that projection.
    I googled IDC researched flawed and I DID get a few hits.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    05-29-14 12:12 PM
    another anti BB smear campaign!~
    05-29-14 12:25 PM
    They are forecasting a total of 9.7 million BlackBerry devices (BBOS & BB10) to be sold....

With no new premium device for most of 2014 and only the Z3 being released in one market so far. I really don't see how they don't sell fewer devices this year than last.

It's hard to compare number from last year to this year on their quarterly reports.... but how ever you count them (revenues, sold through, shipments), the number are falling each quarter. IF they were to "sell through" the same number as in the fourth quarter that would only be 12 million for the year. It's conceivable that with nothing new until the end of the year that 9.7 million might not be close.....
    sentimentGX4 and Donnierock like this.
    05-29-14 12:49 PM

There is a way. Let me make this clear.. Android has 80 % of the market because they target ever price range. This = 80% when you take into account Apple only takes the upper price range which is $400 and up. Even an old iPhone 4s is $450. When you look at the world who mainly pays full price for their phones that is a lot of money. In the US and I think Canada we have contacts which lower the phones from $650 to $199 on contract. The rest of the world do not operate like that. We are slowly moving that direction. Apple has like 75% of the high end market but that only = about 14 % of the world market. I hope this makes sense. Everyone here needs to stop with the conspiracies when they don't understand something.
    05-29-14 03:18 PM
    There is a way. Let me make this clear.. Android has 80 % of the market because they target ever price range. This = 80% when you take into account Apple only takes the upper price range which is $400 and up. Even an old iPhone 4s is $450. When you look at the world who mainly pays full price for their phones that is a lot of money. In the US and I think Canada we have contacts which lower the phones from $650 to $199 on contract. The rest of the world do not operate like that. We are slowly moving that direction. Apple has like 75% of the high end market but that only = about 14 % of the world market. I hope this makes sense. Everyone here needs to stop with the conspiracies when they don't understand something.
    What's interesting is Apple reportedly get's 60% of the profits made on smarthphones, while only doing 20% of the sales.... there is a difference in being King of the Hill and owning the Hill.
    Donnierock, NYC10065 and JeepBB like this.
    05-29-14 03:25 PM
    What's interesting is Apple reportedly get's 60% of the profits made on smarthphones, while only doing 20% of the sales.... there is a difference in being King of the Hill and owning the Hill.
    Yes, Apple makes only a few phone models which means they sell about 150 million phones and only make parts for about 4 types of phones. The parts they make are so much cheaper than Samsung because Samsung is selling more phones than 150 million but they have about 50 to 100 phones they sell around the world. The more of the same phone you sell the cheaper it becomes. Apple is killing it with the profit margin because of this but its coming down a little bit percentage wise because at some point people will select the cheaper version of the iPhones because it's good enough. This last year Touch ID gave people reasons to pay extra. Maybe a bigger screen will get people to upgrade again but there is a point where people will not see the value in paying that high price for the phone and that is when Apple is in a bit of trouble because this brings in most their profits for the year.
    05-29-14 03:41 PM
    Why would anyone be surprised by the IDC projections?

Even though many on this forum want desperately to think that BBRY has the ability to increase its marketshare, the reality is that it is simply impossible for that to happen under the current circumstances:
    - The Z10/Q10/Q5/Z30 launches were not huge successes in the mass market (one could argue they weren't huge successes in any market) and it takes numbers for any movement in marketshare standings
    - BBOS devices have consistently been on a downward trajectory in most markets with very few exceptions (largely in Africa) for the past few years (yes, their sales have outstripped those of BB10 devices but their overall proportion of the market has been in a steady decline)
    - The most recently launched device, the Z3, is available only in one market, Indonesia, and it is an open question as to whether it has been a success even there (some claim launch inventories have "sold out" but in the same breath concede that only a tiny number of the devices were ever produced so if we're talking marketshare, it's hard to make a dent in the overall market when only a handful of devices were produced (1,200? 5,000?) and sold)
    - There have been questions on the viability of BBRY for the past few years with little to dampen the speculation which scares off a large segment of consumers
    - There has not been a clear direction about whether BBRY will remain relevant in the consumer market (Chen says that BBRY will always be in the market but that it will focus on enterprise customers)

So until we see the so-called "Classic" and other planned/rumored devices hit the market, it is virtually impossible for BBRY to reverse the drop in marketshare. Mathematically speaking, it is simply not possible when manufacturers from Apple to Samsung to HTC to LG and many, many others continue to launch newer and newer devices and many at price points well below the bulk of BB devices (some even lower than the Z3).

The question, therefore, is BBRY even interested in marketshare anymore? Given their recent decisions, it's highly doubtful. Chen has publicly declared that he would be happy with sales of about 10 million devices per year -- if that pans out and the market continues to grow as estimated by IDC, then the marketshare figures IDC has projected for BBRY will be pretty accurate.
    05-29-14 06:03 PM
    BlackBerry, the smartphone from Research in Motion, will be in fourth position for all of 2011 with 14.9% share of the market, dropping to 13.7% share in 2015. BlackBerry will still grow by 17% each year.
    They said this in 2011 so...
    05-29-14 06:54 PM
    I'm not surprised by these figures at all. BlackBerry is continuing its downward spiral. Chen's decision to focus on QWERTY and devices says that to me that he really doesn't understand why BlackBerry got into trouble in the first place.

Keyboards aren't the answer.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-29-14 07:59 PM
    With close to no market share where does BB go for apps? Some don't need nor want apps but if you want BB to make money they need apps to get normal people interested in their platform. Then you actually need the apps updated. On Windows Phone they have more apps for sure but many Microsoft paid to create the app or created the app for them and the app doesn't get updated. That is almost as bad as not having the app. That is why market share matters. The higher the market share the more apps and the more the apps get updated. The only option BB has if they want apps which brings people to the platform is to go Android. You may hate that but you don't haven't seen it yet meaning you don't realize how much BB could do to make it the same experience you have now except they would have native Android back-end. Google has tons of engineers working on Android trying to make it the best OS. You might not think so but they do. Where BB see's places in Android to change or fix they can do that and have their experience on it or they will just die. You choose. I'm only talking about the handsets.
    05-29-14 08:06 PM
    Keyboards aren't the answer.
    They are for enterprise (Chen's baby)
    05-31-14 11:46 PM
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ip...122753501.html

I'd say forecasts change and will change. Just ask JC.
    06-01-14 02:56 AM
    This image from the link above says it all:
    Attached Thumbnails IDC research shows BlackBerry share to be. 8% by end of 2014-10319.jpg  
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    06-01-14 03:25 AM
    Apple's bank account would beg to differ. Apple doesn't want to be in everyone's hands if it means they have to lower the cost of the device, the 5c shows this. They want to make as much per device as they can while they can.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    pgg101 and WhiteBerry like this.
    06-01-14 07:49 AM
    Apple doesn't want to be in everyone's hands if it means they have to lower the cost of the device, the 5c shows this. They want to make as much per device as they can while they can.
    And expand their markets.
    06-01-14 09:15 AM
38 12