01-06-17 08:00 AM
85 1234
tools
    ^^^^^ahahahaha jokes.

But in all honesty, the hub over android is Blackberry's competitive advantage. I doubt they would open it up to other manufacturers or operating systems.

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Passport!
    Agree with you Shumsher . BB10 hub is legendary . If they are able to adapt it on Priv that will be great .
    Shumsher likes this.
    02-09-16 07:25 AM
    LOL why not, at one time the thought of Android on BB would have got you banned on Crackberry.
    Not sure now to tell if a person is banned, so I will revise my statement to "maybe banned"
    Good to know who I am conversing with.

BB10 supporters are expected to roll over and play dead rather then to comment on a Android phone.
    You may think that but its not the case.
    I am not even going to try explain it to you.
    Apologies to all for taking this thread so far off track.
    Xeak likes this.
    02-09-16 09:40 AM
    And BB seem to have quietly forgotten that the promise was to bring the BExS to Android, not just the Priv. I suspect they've realised that keeping it unique to the Priv represents a competitive advantage to attract ex-BB10 users.
    This makes the most sense to me. As long as the Priv, and perhaps more phones, such as the Vienna, are in play, they have a reason to restrict the software to BB hardware--especially if they manage to improve the software.

If, on the other hand, they end up leaving the handset business (at least the Android handset business), then I don't see why they wouldn't sell the BB Suite to any Android user. It wouldn't make them a ton of money, but it would presumably make some, and it would keep their name alive in mobile software.

Speaking as a user of Cobalt's hacked version of the Hub, Contacts, and Calendar, I'd gladly pay 10-20 USD for the official thing, with updates. The Nine exchange email app costs ten bucks, and that's just email. The Android Hub isn't the same as the BB10 Hub, but it's pretty good. I've used many of the Android email clients: Aqua, Nine, Type App, K-9, CloudMagic, and MailWise, not to mention the stock Android apps. Each has its good and bad points but on the whole I think Hub, as it is right now, is better than any of them. Some of the mentioned email apps have security concerns; BlackBerry, at least by reputation if not reality, does not. I think they could sell this software.

But to sell it now would be to compete with themselves. They need to let the Android handset experiment reach some kind of a conclusion first.
    02-09-16 10:35 AM
    And BB seem to have quietly forgotten that the promise was to bring the BExS to Android, not just the Priv. I suspect they've realised that keeping it unique to the Priv represents a competitive advantage to attract ex-BB10 users.
    This looks less like a "changing landscape" dither and more like a "lost the plot" waffle.
    I have been a supporter of JC but this does make me wonder.
    Or... it could be that the dev team could not deliver on time and within budget.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-16 10:41 AM
    The reason I posted this thread was this Introducing the Cross-Platform BlackBerry Experience Suite | Inside BlackBerry

Seems to have quietly been buried....
    02-09-16 11:22 AM
    The reason I posted this thread was this Introducing the Cross-Platform BlackBerry Experience Suite | Inside BlackBerry

Seems to have quietly been buried....
    BlackBerry won't even give us the courtesy of confirming the cancellation. It's pretty frustrating when a company won't, at the very least, communicate honestly with its potential or existing customers.
    acovey and crackberry_geek like this.
    02-09-16 12:33 PM
    By that logic, why waste their time on BBM stickers? I mean, apart from the obvious synergy between stickers and secure business-level communications.
    To compete with Line and other Asian messaging apps and stay relevant/competitive. Stickers are HUGE and the other apps were eating BlackBerry's lunch!

It's a big world and other corners of it work differently than you and me.
    Last edited by Jerry A; 02-09-16 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Fix typo
    02-09-16 12:43 PM
    BlackBerry won't even give us the courtesy of confirming the cancellation. It's pretty frustrating when a company won't, at the very least, communicate honestly with its potential or existing customers.
    While I agree with your sentiment - yes, it's a discourteous way for BB to behave - there is little upside for BB in confirming that the cross-platform BExS isn't coming (or at least isn't coming any time "soon").

Confirming that bad news simply makes them look like an incompetent organisation unable to execute and deliver on its own product announcements... now, obviously that last part is true, but if they just air-brush the whole BExS thing out of the photo, and say nothing further, their hope is that they can't be called on it.

You only have to read the bug-reports on the Priv forum, and the responses from BB's Hub product manager, to realise that even getting the Hub running properly on their own Android device isn't there yet, so a general release to all Android handsets isn't likely any time soon IMO. The fact that restricting the Hub to the Priv might actually be a competitive advantage in attracting ex-BB10'ers is probably (in my cynical view) completely accidental as the Android Hub clearly isn't ready for primetime and a general Android release anyway!

As to the BExS running under iOS... I doubt that development has even started - for 1) it's hard to do, and 2) I've yet to see any evidence that the iDevice crew have any interest in it happening.
    DrBoomBotz and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    02-09-16 02:03 PM
    While I agree with your sentiment - yes, it's a discourteous way for BB to behave - there is little upside for BB in confirming that the cross-platform BExS isn't coming (or at least isn't coming any time "soon").

Confirming that bad news simply makes them look like an incompetent organisation unable to execute and deliver on its own product announcements... now, obviously that last part is true, but if they just air-brush the whole BExS thing out of the photo, and say nothing further, their hope is that they can't be called on it.

You only have to read the bug-reports on the Priv forum, and the responses from BB's Hub product manager, to realise that even getting the Hub running properly on their own Android device isn't there yet, so a general release to all Android handsets isn't likely any time soon IMO. The fact that restricting the Hub to the Priv might actually be a competitive advantage in attracting ex-BB10'ers is probably (in my cynical view) completely accidental as the Android Hub clearly isn't ready for primetime and a general Android release anyway!

As to the BExS running under iOS... I doubt that development has even started - for 1) it's hard to do, and 2) I've yet to see any evidence that the iDevice crew have any interest in it happening.
    I think you're spot-on in your assessment of WHY BlackBerry won't speak about the Experience Suite. I just happen to think it's the wrong move. I know in my own life I've found it valuable to recognize when I've done something worthy of an explanation or apology, and then give it immediately in as forthright and polite a manner as possible.

Not many people are left that care about BlackBerry. They're turning their backs on the people who care about them now for fear of looking bad in the eyes of people who don't care about them now. The people who care, like you and I, already know that deep down the BlackBerry Experience Suite is dead, and probably a few of the reasons why.
    JeepBB and crackberry_geek like this.
    02-09-16 02:30 PM
    The HUB is too complex for iPhone users. Last thing we need is to confuse the poor souls.

Rocking a Z30
    02-10-16 12:52 AM

Confirming that bad news simply makes them look like an incompetent organisation unable to execute and deliver on its own product announcements... now, obviously that last part is true
    That entire statement is true... not just the last part...
    02-10-16 02:02 AM
    Well, iOS 10 will be coming with the iPhone 7. I'm wondering if they implement something new like hub, or even just do away with the home button and move the OS to gesture-based navigation like OS10.
    02-10-16 02:05 AM
    Well, iOS 10 will be coming with the iPhone 7. I'm wondering if they implement something new like hub, or even just do away with the home button and move the OS to gesture-based navigation like OS10.

Slightly off-topic, but I doubt iOS10 will have a Hub-u-like. A more unified mailbox experience might come, but the real benefits of a BB10-type Hub come from it being at the centre of all comms into and out of the device to the extent that you don't need to use the other Apps and do everything within the Hub ... which is well-named. That promotion of an App to superstar controlling status doesn't fit well with the iOS paradigm, and I doubt it'll happen.

But, back to being OT, that kind of emphasises why I think BB will *never* bring their Hub to iOS. The depth of integration that a Hub would need with the rest of the OS means that *only* Apple could do it.

It's another CB myth that iOS isn't gesture based. They may not be BB10 gestures, but I've been flicking and swiping on my iPads for years!
    02-10-16 03:03 AM

BB has no clue what to do now that JCs plans have tanked. Software is even more lacking then hardware. If they can't get a small part like The Hub working what does this say about their programming/Dev talent? They continue to not deliver. Same old problem. Too little too late. Sad.
    02-15-16 10:10 AM
    BB has no clue what to do now that JCs plans have tanked. Software is even more lacking then hardware. If they can't get a small part like The Hub working what does this say about their programming/Dev talent? They continue to not deliver. Same old problem. Too little too late. Sad.
    Exactly... same mistakes over and over and over and over again.

Chen is seriously misguided if he thinks BB can succeed in software when they can't even manage their own OS. Purely a fantasy.

Just look at how how they flubbed BBM meetings too...
    02-15-16 11:47 AM
    That's the thing.... stuff just hasn't worked out like Chen and BlackBerry had hoped. So they have to keep changing their focus and direction.

I think last year, BES and building it up with more features like the Experience Suite was the focus. Because it was "assumed" that BES12 would make a big difference in customer retention and growth. But I'm thinking that didn't happen. Now Good seems to be the focus, and there really isn't a point in bringing over those BB10 features.

I think they jumped the gun making the announcement last year - then needed something to talk about.... Once they looked at BBM - BBM Protect - BBM Meetings, someone figured out that it would be too much work with very little in return. And they shelved the whole thing.

Maybe in JUNE a smart shareholder will ask him about it. But I swear they screen those people.....
    crackberry_geek and JeepBB like this.
    02-15-16 12:30 PM
    That's the thing.... stuff just hasn't worked out like Chen and BlackBerry had hoped. So they have to keep changing their focus and direction.

I think last year, BES and building it up with more features like the Experience Suite was the focus. Because it was "assumed" that BES12 would make a big difference in customer retention and growth. But I'm thinking that didn't happen. Now Good seems to be the focus, and there really isn't a point in bringing over those BB10 features.

I think they jumped the gun making the announcement last year - then needed something to talk about.... Once they looked at BBM - BBM Protect - BBM Meetings, someone figured out that it would be too much work with very little in return. And they shelved the whole thing.

Maybe in JUNE a smart shareholder will ask him about it. But I swear they screen those people.....
    I think you just might be right.
    02-15-16 12:40 PM
    The HUB is too complex for iPhone users. Last thing we need is to confuse the poor souls.

Rocking a Z30
    Tens of millions sold compared to a couple of hundred thousand. There is a reason BB is sinking
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-15-16 12:40 PM
    I kind of agree with all of that, though I think the tanking (while imminent) isn't yet a "tanked". I reckon tank-time is 1st April - the next ER.

Much as I like what Chen is trying to do (Don't hate me!, LOL) - which is to salvage as much of value as possible of BB for the shareholders - I reckon that a successful end to this becomes more unlikely by the day.

I do understand how a BB future without BB10 phones, or (IMO) any phones doesn't play well here on the CB forums (yes, I'm a master of understatement ) but, while that realisation must hurt if you are a BB10-fan (I never was), I'm sure it is true nonetheless. I'm also sure Prem and the Board are all-in on the plan, fervently wishing BB10 had never been invented, and are backing Chen to the hilt, but ... sadly for BB shareholders and remaining employees, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not going to end well for BB.

Clearly BB10 isn't in BB's future (let's agree not to argue that point further for now ). I'm also firmly of the opinion that the Priv is a desperate gamble to use the hardware they already had waiting in the wings (the Venice), put Android onto it, and hope it gets enough revenue to get BB through the next few quarters until software gains traction. Unfortunately, I doubt the Priv has a bright future... I don't think it's selling at all well, it needs to sell in the millions for the plan to work and I doubt the ER sales figures will get above the x00,000's.

Meanwhile, BExS Apps on the Priv are buggy and a shadow of their BB10-selves, and the much-vaunted Android security extensions (DTEK) aren't worth much without Marshmallow. That said, the Priv won't be cancelled regardless of how badly it sells, it might even get Marshmallow one day, there'll just never be another Android handset to replace it. And, because the unlockable boot-loader (meaning that nobody else can support it), the Priv will become yet another BB phone with limited support and regular upbeat (and meaningless) BB statements until all the inventory is sold.

Finally, I agree that BB has always sucked at software development. Even when they had many more developers than they do now, their software offerings were always late, buggy, and incomplete - every BB software product reached a new pinnacle of suckiness!. Now they have very few developers, morale within BB must be completely shot-away, and any hope that this environment will cause BB to suddenly start to produce quality software to time and budget is a fantasy.

Poor Chen. It's really not his fault (I blame the arrogance and inertia of MikeL), and it probably looked a great plan on paper, but I believe it's going to fail because of BB's old problems of being unable to execute... well... on anything!

TL, DR; BlackBerry can't sell Hardware, can't write Software, and are running out of time and money.
    ubizmo and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    02-15-16 02:17 PM
    TL, DR; BlackBerry can't sell Hardware, can't write Software, and are running out of time and money.
    I gave that post a "like," not because I like the reality of what you wrote, but because it's hard to disagree with any of it. The most recent fiasco of breaking the Android runtime in mid-December, trying to distributed a fix in mid-February, and having that go sideways is a pretty good window into how bad things are, software-wise, at BlackBerry these days.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-15-16 02:36 PM
    I kind of agree with all of that, though I think the tanking (while imminent) isn't yet a "tanked". I reckon tank-time is 1st April - the next ER.

Much as I like what Chen is trying to do (Don't hate me!, LOL) - which is to salvage as much of value as possible of BB for the shareholders - I reckon that a successful end to this becomes more unlikely by the day.

Sad thing is he had to buy a company in finical trouble in order to even have a software solution to "build" on. He is the MASTER at cutting cost, so if he can at least get the Good revenues not to be in the negative that will be a HUGE accomplishment. But then will Good still be attractive to end users... What does he cut, that won't affect the product, price or long term growth?

Stand alone EMM is in trouble.... BlackBerry being able to buy Good for only $400 Million should have raised some eyebrows. The guys doing "good" are the ones that are offering other solutions, their EMM is just a side business.
    02-15-16 02:40 PM
    I gave that post a "like," not because I like the reality of what you wrote, but because it's hard to disagree with any of it. The most recent fiasco of breaking the Android runtime in mid-December, trying to distributed a fix in mid-February, and having that go sideways is a pretty good window into how bad things are, software-wise, at BlackBerry these days.
    I don't think it is fair to judge BlackBerry's software chops by the performance of the BB10 sustaining team.
    I'm not saying they will do any better, just saying its not fair to tar them with the same brush.
    Just get some more brushes and probably a Costco size barrel of tar!
    02-15-16 02:45 PM
    Sad thing is he had to buy a company in finical trouble in order to even have a software solution to "build" on. He is the MASTER at cutting cost, so if he can at least get the Good revenues not to be in the negative that will be a HUGE accomplishment. But then will Good still be attractive to end users... What does he cut, that won't affect the product, price or long term growth?

Stand alone EMM is in trouble.... BlackBerry being able to buy Good for only $400 Million should have raised some eyebrows. The guys doing "good" are the ones that are offering other solutions, their EMM is just a side business.
    Again, I agree.

What message does it send to the world that you need to buy Good to supplement your own BES product.

I think "The Plan" is becoming an increasing desperate game of smoke and mirrors. Acquiring struggling companies, throwing an Android phone out there, maintaining the pretence that BB10 is still "live", cutting everything to the bone (and beyond the bone to many eyes)... all to gain the time and money to complete the transition to software... when your company has a justified poor reputation for software development.

Also, in response to your comment about BB vetting the analysts who attend the ER so they only ask soft/easy questions... I think it's more a case that the analysts (who have reputations to lose) are more demonstrating that they are decent human beings who don't like to kick the man down on the ground. They ask sufficient questions to make clear that BB's answers are evasive and that the figures have been (legally) "managed" ... but they don't feel the need to go for the kill.
    02-15-16 03:03 PM
    Again, I agree.

What message does it send to the world that you need to buy Good to supplement your own BES product.

I think "The Plan" is becoming an increasing desperate game of smoke and mirrors. Acquiring struggling companies, throwing an Android phone out there, maintaining the pretence that BB10 is still "live", cutting everything to the bone (and beyond the bone to many eyes)... all to gain the time and money to complete the transition to software... when your company has a justified poor reputation for software development.

Also, in response to your comment about BB vetting the analysts who attend the ER so they only ask soft/easy questions... I think it's more a case that the analysts (who have reputations to lose) are more demonstrating that they are decent human beings who don't like to kick the man down on the ground. They ask sufficient questions to make clear that BB's answers are evasive and that the figures have been (legally) "managed" ... but they don't feel the need to go for the kill.

At the shareholder meeting, it seems to be more off the street crazies than analysts that are asking questions... many time it's the same questions over and over. That have no real purpose.
    02-15-16 03:18 PM
    Finally, an app I can get excited about. It's clean, smooth and full of great information. My only gripe is the lack of touch id, but not even that would make me give less that 5 stars. Great job!
    02-16-16 04:06 AM
85 1234