10-07-13 09:43 AM
56 123
tools
    Yep, but some people really want 100+ FPS and are willing to shell out some money for such experience.
    I'm one of them. I'll pay for experience.

That was more for hose hat live in the "Android needs octacore" bubble. Though since the BB10 2GB fiasco, we haven't heard too much about that LOL.
    bekkay likes this.
    10-04-13 03:59 PM
    I played angry birds on a nook color and it was laggy as hell. Not sure what you are talking about.

Posted via CB10
    I will post a video playing Angry Birds Star Wars 2 if you will then admit that you might be wrong, and promise to be more open-minded to the concept that other OSes might be just as awesome as BB10.

ETA: no need for a new video. B&N sells Angry Birds:
    10-04-13 04:04 PM
    1) Android can run smoothly on hardware, which BB10 can't even run on.

2) The extra power is needed for resource intensive apps (mostly games and multimedia).

PS. And as above mentioned, specs are a differentiation/competitive factor.
    While this is true, BB10 runs smoother on equal or worse hardware as long as it's over 2GB of RAM

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-04-13 04:06 PM
    While this is true, BB10 runs smoother on equal or worse hardware.

While I agree it is smooth, I have noted complaints with regards to the runtime.
    10-04-13 04:09 PM
    I'm one of them. I'll pay for experience.

That was more for hose hat live in the "Android needs octacore" bubble. Though since the BB10 2GB fiasco, we haven't heard too much about that LOL.

Here. A phone with almost the same specs as the Z10 minus 1Gb RAM.

Tre Lawrence and richardat like this.
    10-04-13 04:10 PM
    While this is true, BB10 runs smoother on equal or worse hardware.

but do they need 2GB of RAM to run PROPERLY? If it runs so smoothly on worse hardware. then why did they make the Q5 have 2GB of RAM while low end- mid range WP's and Androids run just fine with less than that. Optimizing it would have been better and we would have budget BB10 phones. But they didn't bother and now they price their budget phones expensively
    10-04-13 04:12 PM
    While I agree it is smooth, I have noted complaints with regards to the runtime.
    If you're talking about the runtime on 10.1, I can't answer to that. I upgraded immediately. However, on 10.2, I've read that many of these issues are fixed. 95% of the android apps that I wanted, work on my Q10. I'll have issues due to screen resolution on maybe 2 apps, but that's my fault for owning a Q10. My Android apps work very very well.

Posted with my Q10!
    10-04-13 04:12 PM
    I don't know about the rest of the world, but for 2013 models, the HTC One is easily the most popular phone.

In fact, I saw more HTC One's in the first week of release than I have iPhone 5S/5C.

BlackBerry & Nintendo Alliance. Bring Pokmon to BlackBerry 10.
    10-04-13 05:08 PM
    I don't know about the rest of the world, but for 2013 models, the HTC One is easily the most popular phone.

In fact, I saw more HTC One's in the first week of release than I have iPhone 5S/5C.

BlackBerry & Nintendo Alliance. Bring Pokmon to BlackBerry 10.
    Idk about that. HTC is reporting another quarterly loss, hence the point of this thread. They didn't ship as many Ones as they predicted. Also, I have yet to see an HTC One in the wild. Iphones, S4s, or indestructible brick phones.

Posted with my Q10!
    10-04-13 06:06 PM
    I can't see an advantage for either in a merger. Two struggling hardware makers, one struggling software maker. It would be tough.
    Two turkeys don't make an eagle, as the saying goes.
    10-04-13 06:15 PM
    Two turkeys don't make an eagle, as the saying goes.
    I have NEVER heard that saying before lol

Posted with my Q10!
    10-04-13 07:04 PM
    They made the HTC first. Worst decision ever.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    10-04-13 07:16 PM
    This info as well as the info of market share in the US is interesting. Along with BlackBerry, HTC and Moto are taking a larger hit in market share since May.

You can see the stats here http://m.androidcentral.com/android-...er-half-market

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 07:39 PM
    Those companies seem to be out of the public eye at least. Prem was right. There is no way BlackBerry can compete with Apple or Samsung. HTC, Motorola, LG, and Sony can't either.

Posted with my Q10!
    10-05-13 06:59 PM
    I think I'm starting to understand BlackBerry's (prosumer) strategy and targeted market. As long as BlackBerry can remain a niche market for the time being, I believe they will come back to life slowly but quietly.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 07:15 PM
    I think I'm starting to understand BlackBerry's (prosumer) strategy and targeted market. As long as BlackBerry can remain a niche market for the time being, I believe they will come back to life slowly but quietly.

Posted via CB10
    Let's hope so. BB10 has a lot more untapped potential.

Posted with my Q10!
    10-05-13 08:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you do.
    In fact going by your past forecasts, I would say quite the opposite.
    It would appear that blackberry and the market react inversely to your predictions.

H3ll you actually believed that the iPhone 5s and 5c would flop, and the z10 meant business.

Unless of course you were being sarcastic.

There may be a bidding war to buy BlackBerry. But, I personally hope to see a partnership or joint venture.
    Posted via CB10
    It seems that all the "BlackBerry is For Sale" hype is starting to wear off. Hopefully we find out very soon what is really going to happen with BlackBerry. On a side note, I really hope the Z30 will be available soon.
    Posted via CB10
    Does anyone feel that it's still too early to say BlackBerry's turn around is over? I believe that the media is jumping to conclusions and I feel BlackBerry is still working hard to turn the company around. The first half of 2013 may have been just to slow the bleeding. I believe now BlackBerry is more efficient and more attractive than last year. They may be emerging from their transition over the next few months and maybe the perception about BlackBerry will change during that time frame. IMO I think BlackBerry has mapped out this plan and are executing quite effectively.

Posted via CB10
    I recently just tried out my friends iPhone 5 with IOS 7 installed on it. In my honest opinion Apple's IOS 7 is really not that innovative nor is it intuitive. BlackBerry's BB10 TRUMPS IOS 7 at innovation and intuitiveness. I do not understand how the average person does not realize this nor even know how great BB10 is. Apple's idea of multi-tasking or multiple windows (whatever you want to call it) is a joke and is the same in and out paradigm. All I here from the average person is "oh you can get IOS 7 now, it has really pretty icons and stuff ". You have got to be kidding me. It's just ridiculous that such a great company like BlackBerry with talented employees that know real innovation is not getting the same positive feedback from tech sites, Wallstreet, and the media.

Posted via CB10

WTF! It didn't matter because I didn't need any instructions about how to you use it. However, this was the first time I got to use the phone and I was very impressed. I have seen pictures, videos and tutorials of the Z10, but it really blew me away when I finally got my hands on it and tried it. I currently have an iPhone 4 and I can say with all honesty that the Z10 clearly has a more robust operating system and a better user interface. Now I understand when TH talks about mobile computing because after few minutes of using the Z10 I could clearly see that it has very powerful software. It just didn't feel like a regular phone anymore, I realized that the Z10 is on another level and with a really big head-start. In my opinion, the hardware looked good and the icons, home screen, UX, UI were out of this world awesome. While trying out the Z10 all I could think was: whoa this is some serious technology and BlackBerry is not messing around anymore.
    The iPhone 5C and 5S are not compelling products. IMHO it seems that the novelty of purchasing a new smartphone based on marginally raised and gimmcky features is starting to wear off.

Posted via CB10
    Just a little perspective:
    Apple sold more iPhones 5x in three days in 9 countries than blackberry did all year, globally.
    Last edited by FFR; 10-05-13 at 08:58 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    10-05-13 08:26 PM
    HTC is like BlackBerry on the marketing front - abysmal. Although they hired the highly popular Robert Downey Jr., they embarked on this promo six months after the launch of HTC One. Who in their right mind would do a promo six months after when a 6-month old phone is considered a spinster and with so many new models coming out. The timing of their Ad campaign was shortly before or after the announcement of Moto X, IPhone 5s & c, LG G2, Sony Z1, and Note 3. HTC should've blitzed the market one to two months before launch of the highly rated HTC One to dampen the anticipation and heavy marketing of S4. What was their biggest effort? They handed out food and beverages to people lining up at the S4 event. So did BlackBerry have a chance if HTC struggled, a probable yes had they marketed and priced their products differently.
    10-05-13 08:28 PM
    They made the HTC first. Worst decision ever.
    In fact, they made TWO "Facebook phones" (the ChaCha and the First), and they lost HUGE on both of those phones. To the point that a BB launch looks great by comparison. It wasn't the phones that were the problem, though; it was the hard-coded Facebook stuff that 99% of people didn't want. FB asked them to make a third phone, and finally HTC got smart and laughed them out of the building.

But, yeah, HTC's problems have nothing to do with the One. The One has been instrumental in keeping them alive. It's been some of their other business decisions that were a problem.

People used to love HTC phones, but the carriers forced HTC to lock the bootloaders and otherwise make it difficult for the ROM folks do deal with their phones, and they released two generations of comparatively lousy phones (before the most recent generation), and that really hurt them. I think they're turning things around, and while they're still losing a bit of money, it's not that much in context, and they've been making better decisions lately.
    richardat likes this.
    10-05-13 08:45 PM
    In fact, they made TWO "Facebook phones" (the ChaCha and the First), and they lost HUGE on both of those phones. To the point that a BB launch looks great by comparison. It wasn't the phones that were the problem, though; it was the hard-coded Facebook stuff that 99% of people didn't want. FB asked them to make a third phone, and finally HTC got smart and laughed them out of the building.

But, yeah, HTC's problems have nothing to do with the One. The One has been instrumental in keeping them alive. It's been some of their other business decisions that were a problem.
    The one was reported to have sold approximately 5 million units up to June, no new milestones since and rumor has it demand for the one has screeched to a halt.

From the verge:
    "It appears that sales of devices such as the HTC One over the past few months have failed to meet even the company's expectations, with revenue down 33 percent year-on-year. The loss is the first posted by HTC since it went public in 2002,"

It is safe to assume that for both htc and blackberry to survive, they would each have to sell (not just ship) more than 10 million phones a year (between 12 and 15 million depending on profit margins) If they want to remain a niche platter in the industry.
    10-05-13 09:12 PM
    You know having HTC build a BB10 phone could actually create buzz that could get the ball rolling for both companies again. The problem is it is a massive gamble that would need to be marketed almost to death. That's the problem I guess. Both companies would have to take a huge hit. The other problem is getting people to listen when they realize they can't find Candy Crush or Instagram in the app store. Well there goes that idea. Lol.
    10-05-13 09:49 PM
    "HTC Posts Wider-Than-Estimated Quarterly Loss as Sales Slump" - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...o-samsung.html

HTC sales have been on the decline for the past several quarters. This is a device that many have wished BlackBerry mimicked in terms of hardware with the Z10 and Z30.

They're phones aren't selling either. What's the real issue here?

If HTC couldn't pull it off, what chance does Sony and LG have?

I also think it may be safe to say that going Android would have been a huge mistake for BlackBerry.

Posted with my Q10!
    I disagree 100% about not going Android. Think of all the time and money BB would have saved by not having to develop BB10 from QNX. If they had gone Android and then develop Knox with NSA instead of Samsung, imagine the possibility in the Enterprise. Combining BlackBerry's security expertise with the appeal of the Android platform sounds like a winning combination to me. In the end BB may not have been successful, but I can't imagine it would be any worse than it is now. Its been less than 9 months since the launch of BB10 and BB is collapsing.
    10-05-13 09:53 PM
    Idk about that. HTC is reporting another quarterly loss, hence the point of this thread. They didn't ship as many Ones as they predicted. Also, I have yet to see an HTC One in the wild. Iphones, S4s, or indestructible brick phones.

Posted with my Q10!
    Really!?!? Where are you from?

In Brisbane, Australia, they are everywhere!!!!

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    10-06-13 08:00 AM
    In mobile telecommunications device industry, once sales start falling, it is very difficult to turnaround this decline. It happened to Siemens, Alcatel, Ericsson, Sanyo, Motorola, Nokia, and now BlackBerry and HTC.

The industry is undergoing consolidation. HTC was just as unfortunate to launch a flagship device into a saturated high-end smartphone market. Add to this the shipment delays and lost sales once S4 launched. Also all manufacturers are getting killed on the low-end and mid-tier market by the Chinese manufacturers. As I have said before, this is a consumer electronics industry. Only low-cost producers with economies of scale will survive on gross margins trending towards 15% to 20%.
    10-06-13 08:15 AM

People used to love HTC phones, but the carriers forced HTC to lock the bootloaders and otherwise make it difficult for the ROM folks do deal with their phones, and they released two generations of comparatively lousy phones (before the most recent generation), and that really hurt them. I think they're turning things around, and while they're still losing a bit of money, it's not that much in context, and they've been making better decisions lately.
    Not sure they can turn it around, but the One is very nice....I'd like to see both HTC and Sony carry on if they can keep turning out phones of the quality of their most recent releases.
    10-06-13 08:20 AM
56 123