10-07-13 09:43 AM
56 123
tools
    "HTC Posts Wider-Than-Estimated Quarterly Loss as Sales Slump" - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...o-samsung.html

HTC sales have been on the decline for the past several quarters. This is a device that many have wished BlackBerry mimicked in terms of hardware with the Z10 and Z30.

They're phones aren't selling either. What's the real issue here?

If HTC couldn't pull it off, what chance does Sony and LG have?

I also think it may be safe to say that going Android would have been a huge mistake for BlackBerry.

Posted with my Q10!
    Last edited by pkcable; 10-04-13 at 02:51 PM.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    10-04-13 11:57 AM
    Agree that being just another BlackBerry OEM, even if it had been a forked version.... would have never have worked.

Even the mighty Samsung is looking at alternatives and they are the only one making money right now with Android. It is a commodity and everyone has it so it's value (or the profits you can make from it) is very limited.
    10-04-13 12:07 PM
    I'm waiting to see more information, but I've been speculating that HTC is doing just fine with Android now. I have a suspicion (though I could be wrong) that HTC's loss is probably attributed to taking a bath with their WP phones. While the news shows a loss for HTC this past quarter, it's also been noted that HTC has decided to drop their WP offerings and now Microsoft is trying to convince HTC to make their Android phones dual boot with WP.

Of course that's just speculation on my part. There's so many directions taken in the news concerning HTC and Windows Phone, and at the moment I'm just not really motivated to sift through it all.
    10-04-13 12:31 PM
    Please let them continue losing money and them they will merger with BB that would be so sweet. Two awesome phone developers working together. Plus the HTC one phones and z10 look very similar. HTC plus BB using OS10 a dream would come true Would also push app development!
    10-04-13 01:31 PM
    Please let them continue losing money and them they will merger with BB that would be so sweet. Two awesome phone developers working together. Plus the HTC one phones and z10 look very similar. HTC plus BB using OS10 a dream would come true Would also push app development!
    I can't see an advantage for either in a merger. Two struggling hardware makers, one struggling software maker. It would be tough.

How would it spur app development?
    10-04-13 01:37 PM
    If you had the HTC one running BlackBerry 10.2 that would be the best phone ever by far.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    playbookster likes this.
    10-04-13 01:40 PM
    I think the Problem with both companies is they had their chance just blew them. After the original Evo HTC lost a lot of its support and momentum with the next wave of sub par phones and bad overall business decisions. The thing is once you lose that it takes more than just one wonder phone to start to build that back up. At least HTC looks to be back on track with the ONE series and maybe can continue to build on. As for BB I think they ran out of lives as far as building that rep back up because they just can't seem to get one decent product out to build on. Sure crackberry fans may buy phone after phone but that's not enough to keep them a float in this market. They have never really hit the mark as far as making something that would appeal to a ton of people to jump phone maker ships
    10-04-13 01:52 PM
    Sony and Ericsson were both two struggling phone manufactures in 2001. They combined their forces and made a rebound. Nowadays, Sony Ericsson is just know as Sony Phones as Sony bought out Ericsson and is quite successful I would day. It can make sense two combine forces.
    10-04-13 02:47 PM
    Sony and Ericsson were both two struggling phone manufactures in 2001. They combined their forces and made a rebound. Nowadays, Sony Ericsson is just know as Sony Phones as Sony bought out Ericsson and is quite successful I would day. It can make sense two combine forces.
    Good point.

But collectively, both companies were more diversified than these two. Also, the cell market was completely different. But still, fair point you made.
    10-04-13 02:50 PM
    I think the Problem with both companies is they had their chance just blew them. After the original Evo HTC lost a lot of its support and momentum with the next wave of sub par phones and bad overall business decisions. The thing is once you lose that it takes more than just one wonder phone to start to build that back up. At least HTC looks to be back on track with the ONE series and maybe can continue to build on. As for BB I think they ran out of lives as far as building that rep back up because they just can't seem to get one decent product out to build on. Sure crackberry fans may buy phone after phone but that's not enough to keep them a float in this market. They have never really hit the mark as far as making something that would appeal to a ton of people to jump phone maker ships
    To this day, it is still shocking to me how effectively HTC squandered the EVO momentum and ticked off developers in one fell swoop. Sad, sad, sad.

Samsung didn't take HTC's lunch; HTC offered it on an Android-encrusted platter.
    10-04-13 02:52 PM
    If you had the HTC one running BlackBerry 10.2 that would be the best phone ever by far.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    Personally, I wouldn't buy it. I'm not a fan of aluminum phones.

Posted with my Q10!
    10-04-13 03:02 PM
    But I thought high end specs means you sell more.. guess we were wrong.

Posted via CB10
    LWKING, Jahcure and bradu1 like this.
    10-04-13 03:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Relatively speaking, all else being equal (rare), I think that actually still holds.
    bekkay, richardat and Etios like this.
    10-04-13 03:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Now imagine how many Ones HTC would have sold if the One was released with a yesteryear's dual-core SoC and a 720p screen and same "flagship" price.
    10-04-13 03:18 PM
    Relatively speaking, all else being equal (rare), I think that actually still holds.
    Yep, same logic as with people claiming home remedy X helped them recover from flu 3 times faster. Those people don't really think about what would have happened if they didn't get the home remedy. Counterfactual, that is. It might very well be an even faster recovery or no effect at all.
    10-04-13 03:21 PM
    Now imagine how many Ones HTC would have sold if the One was released with a yesteryear's dual-core SoC and a 720p screen and same "flagship" price.
    We don't know what they would price it at, also the performance would take a hit. This is android we are talking about.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 03:34 PM
    We don't know what they would price it at, also the performance would take a hit. This is android we are talking about.

Posted via CB10
    Have you used Android lately? Or are you still living in 2010?

Hint: You don't need 2Gb of RAM to run Android (or WP8, or iOS).
    Saiga and Etios like this.
    10-04-13 03:39 PM

agreed you only need 1GB to android smoothly. But IOS and especially Wp8 don't need much RAM to run. they both run smooth as butter on only 512mb RAM. 512mb!.
    why didn't BB bother optimizing BB10?
    10-04-13 03:43 PM
    agreed you only need 1GB to android smoothly. But IOS and especially Wp8 don't need much RAM to run. they both run smooth as butter on only 512mb RAM. 512mb!.
    why didn't BB bother optimizing BB10?
    They have to piggy back on Android to run apps in a runtime.
    a5cent and Etios like this.
    10-04-13 03:45 PM

Oh so then the one didn't need those specs to run smoothly? You're saying it would run just as well with z30 specs? Make up your mind.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 03:45 PM
    Oh so then the one didn't need those specs to run smoothly? You're saying it would run just as well with z30 specs? Make up your mind.

Posted via CB10
    It's a way to be different from other OEMs. Android's and Windows phone's market is completely different. Android = Specs WP= Exclusive Apps
    bekkay and Etios like this.
    10-04-13 03:47 PM
    1) Android can run smoothly on hardware, which BB10 can't even run on.

2) The extra power is needed for resource intensive apps (mostly games and multimedia).

PS. And as above mentioned, specs are a differentiation/competitive factor.
    10-04-13 03:47 PM
    1) Android can run smoothly on hardware, which BB10 can't even run on.

2) The extra power is needed for resource intensive apps (mostly games and multimedia).

PS. And as above mentioned, specs are a differentiation/competitive factor.
    Just thought I should note that I was running FIFA 2014 with my son on the kids Nook Color. Did someone say 512MB?

Yes. I said "Nook Color."
    bekkay, richardat and Etios like this.
    10-04-13 03:53 PM
    Just thought I should note that I was running FIFA 2014 with my son on the kids Nook Color. Did someone say 512MB? Yes. I said "Nook Color."
    Yep, but some people really want 100+ FPS and are willing to shell out some money for such experience.
    10-04-13 03:55 PM
    I played angry birds on a nook color and it was laggy as hell. Not sure what you are talking about.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 03:57 PM
56 123