Recently read Crackberry post about Passport having just gone through FCC. What does this mean and how long from going through the FCC does it usually take to become available to consumers/carriers?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-27-15 04:30 AM
    Technically, they can sell a product the following day once it's cleared and passed by the FCC. Problem is the labeling of the products and manuals with the FCC certification. So basically producing, boxing, logistics all happen after that. Most companies give it three months for shipping.
    01-27-15 05:21 AM
    It depends. But let's take a look at history.
    Verizon z10 passes through FCC at the end of February and was available within four weeks however the AT&T version passes through the FCC at the end of December and wasn't available till march
    I just hope history doesn't repeat it self for AT&T. That will hurt.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    01-27-15 02:08 PM
    It may differ between the different platforms and carriers. The one thing that we all can agree on is that when it comes to Blackberry, everything takes longer.

If BlackBerry is known for blowing it's own time frames, why should anyone else be any different?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 03:38 PM
    Other than the corners, which I assume are a cosmetic change... Why would the AT&T BlackBerry need to be reapproved by the FCC?
    01-27-15 03:43 PM
    Other than the corners, which I assume are a cosmetic change... Why would the AT&T BlackBerry need to be reapproved by the FCC?
    It has more/different Global bands. As for the OP's question, there is no 'typical' time.. it can be whenever.
    01-27-15 03:45 PM
    Yeah, the AT&T PP seems to have one additional HSPA band (6), while losing one LTE band (13) over the original PP that ran through the FCC last August.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 04:42 PM
    It can take anywhere from a month to 4 months. It is more than just the labeling of the FCC ID involved. Depending on where the finished product is coming from, there could be customs holding things up to. Don't dot the right I or cross the t can hold up a shipment in customs until the right paperwork is handed to them. So it is a number of things that can hold shipments up. Remember what happened to HTC and there fight with Apple. Held up the HTC Evo 4G LTE for 3 months by the FTC ordering customs to do so.
    01-27-15 07:47 PM
    It can take anywhere from a month to 4 months. It is more than just the labeling of the FCC ID involved. Depending on where the finished product is coming from, there could be customs holding things up to. Don't dot the right I or cross the t can hold up a shipment in customs until the right paperwork is handed to them. So it is a number of things that can hold shipments up. Remember what happened to HTC and there fight with Apple. Held up the HTC Evo 4G LTE for 3 months by the FTC ordering customs to do so.
    I think an even more likely reason for the delay is that BB doesn't have the trained staff to rollout phones in the US anymore. Less people on the ground the longer it takes. With the turnover with store employees, bet that most of them have never seen a BB model launch.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    01-27-15 08:03 PM
    Yeah, the AT&T PP seems to have one additional HSPA band (6), while losing one LTE band (13) over the original PP that ran through the FCC last August.

Posted via CB10
    So will that mean that these will function better on AT&T network than the ones sold by BlackBerry?
    01-28-15 07:30 AM
    So will that mean that these will function better on AT&T network than the ones sold by BlackBerry?
    In some specific areas, yes.
    01-28-15 10:39 AM